Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do loud pipes save lives?  (Read 4044 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Re: Do loud pipes save lives?
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2021, 01:52:56 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9QTPyMJGgo

all tests  seem to be static, so not real world
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:19:55 AM by Papa Lazarou »
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline biking sailor

• Motorcycles: A Griso and a few Yamahas, a 700, 900 and 1300. I think I'm good with these bikes for a while.
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »
Wind and tire noise in a car drowns out the motor noise. So, I think you are right that static tests are not that great, but would only seem to make the results of “false” even more correct.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2021, 02:27:04 PM »
How many times have you been driving your car and heard a bike with loud pipes approaching you from the opposite direction before you saw it?  How many time have you heard one come up behind you before you saw it?  How many times have you heard a loud bike before you saw it approach an intersection across your path of travel? 

In any of these situations, do you think loud pipes caused you to see the bike sooner than if you had not heard it? 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2021, 02:43:17 PM »
How many times have you been driving your car and heard a bike with loud pipes approaching you from the opposite direction before you saw it?  How many time have you heard one come up behind you before you saw it?  How many times have you heard a loud bike before you saw it approach an intersection across your path of travel? 

In any of these situations, do you think loud pipes caused you to see the bike sooner than if you had not heard it?

I will admit I have heard a bike before I saw it when they are passing me on the interstate. But, other than that I have never heard a bike first. Of course I live in the land of the Sturgis rally so I may have more exposure to loud bikes than some of the rest of you? 
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »

I will admit I have heard a bike before I saw it when they are passing me on the interstate. But, other than that I have never heard a bike first. Of course I live in the land of the Sturgis rally so I may have more exposure to loud bikes than some of the rest of you?

Nope. You're right. Doesn't matter amount  of exposure in this case.

Online ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
  • Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:44 AM »
Yamaha, because if I wanted a Harley I'd buy one.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2021, 06:59:01 PM »
I'll agree with chris to a certain extent, Loud pipes do actually say something

Loud pipes "I would rather be an obnoxious asshole than be a considerate civilized human" 
Or maybe "My rights trump yu'r comfort"

Now mind I do live a few blocks up the hill from HY1 in Nor Cal and am forced to hear every  ahole with loud pipes drone on as they ride past my little hamlet, So YA F that group, be it leather or textile.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2021, 09:02:57 AM »
The point was supposed to be my comment below, "Yamaha, because if I wanted a Harley I'd buy one." 😁

Online ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2021, 09:07:24 AM »
The Dale Walker slipon on my FZ1 was fairly quiet if you kept the revs low and stayed off the throttle. But it would scream if you wanted it to. The perfect combination. Still have the stock exhaust on the Tracer Goo.