Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stoopid cable!  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
Stoopid cable!
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
I hate cable and I hate the cable company.
My internet and cable are bundled, and the bill is a fuzz over 130.  There ain't nuttin worth watching - except for some sports and local news in the a.m.  Most of what the kids watch is netflix.
The entire reason I keep cable at all is so that I can watch Detroit Tigers in the summer, but the only way that I know I can see the games is to keep the cable.

Maybe somebody out there has constructive ideas for alternatives?

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Re: Stoopid cable!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
DIRECTV
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:58:34 PM by Stripes »
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »
The only solution I can offer is the route I took ages ago: watch ten to twenty games each season in a pub.  Disconnect cable TV.

I drive to the pub and consequently can't go past one beer per period.  Cost is therefore around $20/game (more if I'm paying for the wife as well, but not way more).  Also once in a while she pays.

I figure the cost is around $500/season if I hit 20 games.

TV would cost me about $600/year. Plus I would have to have TV, which I hate.

And games at the pub are three times as fun.  Also, some games are streamed free on the team's website, so I get a pretty good season out of the deal.

Next year, I might budget similar money and buy more tickets to actual games.

I don't know what Tigers tickets are worth but between pubs and a few tickets I bet you could spend the same money and have way more fun.
Support 12-5

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:03 PM »
I hate cable, satellite & non-existent 4G LTE.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »
Direct TV

Direct TV would be cheaper for the first year...problem is that I live in surrounded by hills and mature woods on the east, south, and west...and I'm thinking reception is going to be an issue.  Plus, just looking real quick at the channel line-up on for DTV.  It looks like Fox Sports Detroit isn't even offered.

The surrounding hills & woods seem to screw up free TV reception, too - although I haven't dropped any cash on a mega-antenna.

I wanted to stream games via mlb.com, but they black out games in the home territory...which includes all of Mi and (I think) some of Indiana.  I read a thing about a mlb.com work around with getting a proxy server someplace and streaming through that, but it sounds like MLB is on to that, too.

I'm probably screwed if I wanna keep the idiot box in the house.

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:03:29 PM »
The only solution I can offer is the route I took ages ago: watch ten to twenty games each season in a pub.  Disconnect cable TV.

I drive to the pub and consequently can't go past one beer per period.  Cost is therefore around $20/game (more if I'm paying for the wife as well, but not way more).  Also once in a while she pays.

I figure the cost is around $500/season if I hit 20 games.

TV would cost me about $600/year. Plus I would have to have TV, which I hate.

And games at the pub are three times as fun.  Also, some games are streamed free on the team's website, so I get a pretty good season out of the deal.

Next year, I might budget similar money and buy more tickets to actual games.

I don't know what Tigers tickets are worth but between pubs and a few tickets I bet you could spend the same money and have way more fun.

More tickets to games would be good.  I'm about 3 hours + to get to the D to watch a game, otherwise I'd love to even get a partial season deal.  I like to watch the games with my boy-child, so the tavern prolly won't work the greatest.  But, if the Tigers website will broadcast some games, that might be enough to get me by...I'll have to investigate.

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
Direct TV

Direct TV would be cheaper for the first year...problem is that I live in surrounded by hills and mature woods on the east, south, and west...and I'm thinking reception is going to be an issue.  Plus, just looking real quick at the channel line-up on for DTV.  It looks like Fox Sports Detroit isn't even offered.

The surrounding hills & woods seem to screw up free TV reception, too - although I haven't dropped any cash on a mega-antenna.

I wanted to stream games via mlb.com, but they black out games in the home territory...which includes all of Mi and (I think) some of Indiana.  I read a thing about a mlb.com work around with getting a proxy server someplace and streaming through that, but it sounds like MLB is on to that, too.

I'm probably screwed if I wanna keep the idiot box in the house.

Bummer.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 05:59:12 AM »
I hate cable and I hate the cable company.
My internet and cable are bundled, and the bill is a fuzz over 130.  There ain't nuttin worth watching - except for some sports and local news in the a.m.  Most of what the kids watch is netflix.
The entire reason I keep cable at all is so that I can watch Detroit Tigers in the summer, but the only way that I know I can see the games is to keep the cable.

Maybe somebody out there has constructive ideas for alternatives?

Honestly, get to know a few bar tenders and just watch the games out.

Or toss a few bucks at a friend to DVR them for you.

Look, if you do watch a lot of tv, it'd never pay off to try to do a la carte cable; it would cost 10x more to get "all the channels" (within reason).

But I do agree; the cable fees are getting nuts.

I'm starting the research to untangle from the normal way of getting tv. It's a long and crazy road, it seems... I'm not even sure it's a huge savings after you buy shows you want from the various outlets, etc. O_o
this signature on hold pending review

Offline marc11

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:57:14 AM »
The VPN route works and works well I've used it with mlbtv last two years. This last year a few of us chipped in and shared the cost of the mlb package. We just shared one login and had no issues watching games at the same time from different locations.

Just this month I decided to make the first step to cutting the direct TV cord and lowered down to he most basic package for $30 a month. No DVR and basically just a few channels over the locals. I live in an area were I cannot get locals over the air so no choice there. We  have been using hulu and amazon prime for a while so its a minor adjustment. Saves me $60 a month. Throw in $50 a year to share the mlb package, an apple TV and chromecast and we are well covered. If I could find a way to get locals we could go 100% cable free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
We cut our cable to basic with HD. It's twenty bucks a month and the only channel we lost that we watched was Root Sports for the Penguins games.

That's easy enough to see if you really want with NHL Gamecenter and a VPN set to a European IP address.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »
Basic cable here to.

Going to a neighbors to watch the Blackhawks game this afternoon. All i costs me is beer.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
Basic cable here to.

Going to a neighbors to watch the Blackhawks game this afternoon. All i costs me is beer.

I agree. Paying extra to watch the Blackhawks is sheer stupidity.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
 :lol:

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »
Basic cable here to.

Do i have to come down there and go all woopass  on you.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
Basic cable here to.

Do i have to come down there and go all woopass  on you.

Bring your own damn coffee.  :-*

Ralph Waldo Emerson