Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2018 ESTO Spring meet in at Lake Anna, VA  (Read 12475 times)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
Re: Spring meet in at Lake Anna, VA
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
So were you being facetious about a flat spot for my trailer and room to get it in there without damaging anything?  If not, we can probably make this happen.  I see a massive puppy play date in the works in the middle of all this motorcycle stuff.  This will likely become Hemi's first camping trip as well.   

Bill,

There should be no problems accommodating your motorhome and trailer. I don't know if I have enough extension cord to get power to your rig though. Pups are more than welcome.  :)

Just the truck and trailer.  I'm about 51 feet long combined.  I can probably do without power.  I have a whisper quiet Honda 2000 I could run in the back of the pick up if necessary...or if allowed.  :)

Bring a cord or two and we'll get you hooked up. There's more than enough room to get your rig in there. I'm in the sticks so everything is allowed. ;)
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
That's a real nice place you got there Eric! Looks relaxing.
I'd be glad to join and meet some of you guys if you'd have me.
I'll know for sure if I can make it in a couple of weeks.

Dbl T,

I'll reserve the last air mattress for you.

Okay folks, I'm officially out of bedding, towels and washcloths. If anyone else is coming, I'm sure we can find room to set you up in the cabin. Please bring your own bedding from this point forward.

We are exactly one month out on this event from today!  :banana: :chili: :banana:

Vulcanbill - I am not counting you and K in on the towels and washcloths so please bring what you need.

I'll have a trailer set up for towing in the event someone has a breakdown to come fetch you. I'll send out pms tonight to each of you with my address and contact info.

If you're coming from the north, I strongly recommend to stay off the US 95 corridor as it gets congested from DC all the way to Fredericksburg. Coming this way will add 1 to 2 hours to the trip. I would recommend going further west and take 522 south. It's a much more scenic relaxed route.

I'll start shopping for the food and stuff in a couple weeks and get ready for the event. Figure supper being served around 6 to 7ish that Friday. I haven't heard any issues with regards to vegetarian, vegan or gluten free, so carnivore it shall be. Friday's menu will be cheeseburgers, hotdogs, Bush's baked beans, chips and French fries. (FF will be cooked in peanut oil so allergy alert~!) If I get time I may bake some pies, I make a mean granny smith apple pie.

If some of you that are coming further away and would like to come a day or two earlier, no worries. I'll be working from home that week and can accommodate.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:05:45 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »
Is this happening?  Have room? Floor is fine.

Lloydo,

I'm officially out of bedding so please bring what you can. If you have nothing we can figure out a sofa surfing deal. Apologies amigo...

Eric
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:21:12 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2018, 05:46:44 PM »
8 to 58 with a stop at the tank museum somewhere along the way?

Skee,

I've never been to that tank museum and if I could tag along that would be awesome. I'll have a mess to clean up after fixing breakfast for so many so I may be problematic to get on the road early. idk Anywho, kick it around.

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
All,

I've sent pms to each of you. Please let me know if I missed anyone. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!

Eric

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2018, 05:49:27 AM »
This is a most generous offer and one of the most unique meets.  I recall going to stay at JF's house in Ottawa where he and Helen provided a place to stay, breakfast, and dinner.  It was a great weekend.  I'm sure everyone here will have a similar great experience. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '08 Wee & an overweight Connie
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2018, 07:39:13 AM »

Skee,

I've never been to that tank museum and if I could tag along that would be awesome. I'll have a mess to clean up after fixing breakfast for so many so I may be problematic to get on the road early. idk Anywho, kick it around.

Eric

I guarantee you'll have some help - maybe inept & underfoot - but help nonetheless.

Ill have to check that out the tank museum on line; you never know beforehand.  Could be some great exhibits, could be like one we stopped at a few years ago; lots of photos, jacket patches and dioramas, with a few exploded rusting hulks scattered throughout the woods along miles of walking trails.  Fortunately, there was a canteen serving cold drafts at the furthest point. 

However, plenty of good roads are easily doable in short ride.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »

Skee,

Eric

I guarantee you'll have some help - maybe inept & underfoot - but help nonetheless.

Ill have to check that out the tank museum on line; you never know beforehand.  Could be some great exhibits, could be like one we stopped at a few years ago; lots of photos, jacket patches and dioramas, with a few exploded rusting hulks scattered throughout the woods along miles of walking trails.  Fortunately, there was a canteen serving cold drafts at the furthest point. 

However, plenty of good roads are easily doable in short ride.

SKEE is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »
We are 100% self contained and require zero accommodation.  Got our own bed, got our own kitchen and got our own crapper.  Might even be able to help out w/ cooking / heating stuff when the time comes as we have an oven and a 3 burner stove as well. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »
So were you being facetious about a flat spot for my trailer and room to get it in there without damaging anything?  If not, we can probably make this happen.  I see a massive puppy play date in the works in the middle of all this motorcycle stuff.  This will likely become Hemi's first camping trip as well.   

Bill,

There should be no problems accommodating your motorhome and trailer. I don't know if I have enough extension cord to get power to your rig though. Pups are more than welcome.  :)

Just the truck and trailer.  I'm about 51 feet long combined.  I can probably do without power.  I have a whisper quiet Honda 2000 I could run in the back of the pick up if necessary...or if allowed.  :)

Bill,

To the left in this pic is the drain-field and what you have to work with. The dock next to the cabin has a turn-around for boaters to unload their boats and get their trailers navigated. Others just pull up and park along the drain-field and set up shop, then back right out. Again, zero issues accommodating your rig. I hope this adds clarity.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:01:58 AM by Virginian »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
Re: 2018 ESTO Spring meet in at Lake Anna, VA
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
Awesome.  It does indeed.  Can I go as far over as needed or do I need to stay close to the road?  Thinking of leveling.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
Awesome.  It does indeed.  Can I go as far over as needed or do I need to stay close to the road?  Thinking of leveling.

You should be able to go over as far as needed. You just need to be aware of two plastic vents/access tubes. We'll figure it out when you get here.

Online tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2018, 09:23:35 PM »
Really Eric, YOU ARE THE FUXKIN MAN

Thanks so much for your hosting this event. 

Should be a gooder.......

Online Virginian

• Contributor
Re: Possible meet in VA?
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2018, 09:17:02 PM »
Not being a Civil War buff, I have assumed until today that "Spotsylvania" was a nick name for where you live.  After a little research on my part, I now know that is not the case.

I'm hoping to truck the bike down for the event.

Spotsylvania was very bloody during the civil war. There are loads of confederate cemeteries in these parts. I hope you can make it Jimmy.

E

Antietam and Harpers Ferry are relatively close by too.

Added to the list of possible places to ride too. Both are outstanding!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:59:23 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
Re: Possible meet in VA?
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »
Yeeehaaawww.  Me and Sue are planning on being there.  Sure, put us to work!!!  Grilling or whatever.  The camping on the dock offer is what concreted the deal for my wife.  Barring a shitty rain storm we are planning on leaving Thursday after work and camping in Delaware off of the ferry and heading to you by Friday afternoon.  Looking forward to meeting you Eric.  Thanks for the weekend away.  This also gives me a shake down attempt to posting on a imgur account that I have to open for my future ride reports.

I better not see any hot tub jellyfish floating in the lake in the morn!  :confused:

Your digs for the weekend.

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
Put the battery back in the bike today!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »
Put the battery back in the bike today!

We're getting close! Still right cold here int he evenings though.  :/

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »

SKEE is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/

Wow.  That looks like an all day stop.   Maybe It’s ‘Nana pudding for lunch instead. 
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
I had one back out so there's one bunk bed open. Stake yer claim!

Lloydo - I haven't heard from you so please chime in.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »
I'll take it!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2018, 11:05:01 AM »
I'll take it!

Done! Glad you're going to make it. ;)

Offline lloydo

• Motorcycles: 2007 R1200RT
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
I snoozed, I losed!  I've been travelling and not paying attention to the site and messages.  Thanks and have fun!

Lloyd

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
Eric's house Sat/Sun morning?    ;D ;D

Offline TwistedThrottle

• Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
Anyone heading to the meet up from the tri-state that can advise me on the best route? 

I'll be leaving Brooklyn,NY via the Verrazano bridge as early as 5-6 AM.
I'm thinking to take the NJ tpke to the Delaware Bridge and head south to the 301 to avoid Baltimore and Washington traffic even though google maps says it would take about an hour longer, which I don't mind if it will be a nicer ride. 
South of the Delaware bridge I am not really familiar with. Any tips?
We had Empires ruled by Emperors, we had Kingdoms ruled by Kings. Today we have countries....

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
Anyone heading to the meet up from the tri-state that can advise me on the best route? 

I'll be leaving Brooklyn,NY via the Verrazano bridge as early as 5-6 AM.
I'm thinking to take the NJ tpke to the Delaware Bridge and head south to the 301 to avoid Baltimore and Washington traffic even though google maps says it would take about an hour longer, which I don't mind if it will be a nicer ride. 
South of the Delaware bridge I am not really familiar with. Any tips?

301 is a nice enough ride, but gets really messy where it intersects with 50 which heads over to DC. If you don't mind sitting - any time of year, any weather, any day, any time of day, you WILL sit a while or at least slow to a walk - it's the way to go. The big-ass bridge can be interesting if there's wind, but it's a lovely and scenic ride.
this signature on hold pending review

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
the good news is on a Friday,  you'll be heading in the good direction coming over the Bay Bridge.  Most traffic will be leaving DC and heading to the eastern shore.

If you chose to stay on 301 all the way down to the Potomac River, you might get a little backed up there.  But look for Rte 218 on the southside of the Potomac.  That's a fun road with a lot of sweepers and will take you right in to Fredricksburg.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
That's a fun road with a lot of sweepers and will take you right in to Fredricksburg.

:thumbsup: I had kinda forgotten that.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline TwistedThrottle

• Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:16 AM »
Ok, this is what I plotted on google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/kyMEsWLNJgm

Edit: I didn't include any addresses, just from local area to local area.
We had Empires ruled by Emperors, we had Kingdoms ruled by Kings. Today we have countries....

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2018, 10:26:11 PM »
Started playing around with options for a route down and Saturday loop.  Just putting some thoughts on paper.

If anyone would like to learn me up on posting a linked image to my Google Map in a post, I'd appreciate a lesson. 

Click here to view in Google Maps

If we leave just after dawn on Saturday, we could grab lunch at Paint Bank :nuts:  I know Scott would love to run 220 from Covington to Warm Springs again :chili: (not happening; besides, we'll never hit it with no traffic like that again)   

More than likely - as usually happens - I'll scrap all my routes on Friday and come up with something entirely different Saturday.

Works for me; I got to have a plan.

Hey - I just saw there's a winery nearby - who needs plans http://www.lawinery.net/

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »
I keep checking this gathering and then looking at the long range weather forecast.  It's not looking good for a 600 mile adventure at this moment.  Especially for a tent camping one with the dog.   :(   

Been looking at Route 250 to Route 33 to get down there.  It's be fun for a couple days each way.
--Tom

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2018, 11:08:05 AM »
I keep checking this gathering and then looking at the long range weather forecast.  It's not looking good for a 600 mile adventure at this moment.  Especially for a tent camping one with the dog.   :(   

Been looking at Route 250 to Route 33 to get down there.  It's be fun for a couple days each way.

We have snow today but it will be gone in 48 hours. This time of year is strange in the sense that we get snow one day and 60 F the next. Pardon the cabin, it's being bead blasted and refinished. It will be done by the time you guys get here...

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2018, 05:57:26 PM »
We are getting your snow tomorrow.  :angry:

Very nice of you to host a meet Eric. I would love to be able to attend but it is too early in the year for me and I have a bigger bike ride planned starting June 1st or thereabouts.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2018, 05:59:37 PM »

Very nice of you to host a meet Eric. I would love to be able to attend but it is too early in the year for me and I have a bigger bike ride planned starting June 1st or thereabouts.

:(

Maybe next year if this years goes well I'll plan it later. I mean I rode the scoot from Austin about the same time last year. :/ Sorry you can't make it.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
If only you were about 2000 miles closer.  :(
It looks like a fun time.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »
 One of these years for sure.... :beerchug:

In the meantime, looks like the Winter Meet is back on :hail:

Online tankhead

« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2018, 07:02:32 PM »
Oh I remember .......I was hoping we could meet up as a traversed towards NC from SD.  Wicked storms kept me well north without a drop.  You ....... not so much.... LOL

Your place is a dream come true to me and Sue.  Gorgeous !!!!!!!!!.  IF and I mean IF the weather suck asssssssssss.  We will not bail.  We will take the Honda and make the trip regardless.  She took the time from work and I have off.  We WILL BE THERE WITHOUT FAIL.....

:(

Maybe next year if this years goes well I'll plan it later. I mean I rode the scoot from Austin about the same time last year. :/ Sorry you can't make it.

Offline Slides

• Motorcycles: '13 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »
Eric,
I really appreciate the offer, but I am out. I just got back from spending some time down in Florida for a funeral, which chewed up most of the vacation time I hadn't already allocated through the end of the year.
I'm sure it will be a great event and it sure looks like a beautiful place.
Thanks,
Erik

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »
Eric,
I really appreciate the offer, but I am out. I just got back from spending some time down in Florida for a funeral, which chewed up most of the vacation time I hadn't already allocated through the end of the year.
I'm sure it will be a great event and it sure looks like a beautiful place.
Thanks,
Erik

Understood, sorry to hear you're not going to make it.

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »
I have one daybed in the loft that's up for grabs.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »

Hmmmm..... Interested, but going to wait to see a long-term forecast middle of next week. It's not unusual to still get snow in the mountains I have to cross in April.

Is anyone going to get dirty? Toying with the idea of trailering the 530 if there is interesting stuff to ride.

EDIT: While looking at Google Maps (7 hours via twisty state highways) I see that the North Anna power station is nearby. We (Westinghouse) are bidding on a giant upgrade project for that site and the Surry site. If we get the work, I'll be foisting my software on you guys in the coming years...
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »

Hmmmm..... Interested, but going to wait to see a long-term forecast middle of next week. It's not unusual to still get snow in the mountains I have to cross in April.

Is anyone going to get dirty? Toying with the idea of trailering the 530 if there is interesting stuff to ride.

EDIT: While looking at Google Maps (7 hours via twisty state highways) I see that the North Anna power station is nearby. We (Westinghouse) are bidding on a giant upgrade project for that site and the Surry site. If we get the work, I'll be foisting my software on you guys in the coming years...

Garry,

Glad to hear you still have an iron in the fire! Nice on the software upgrade, maybe you'll be moving out this way?

The snow is gone today as I stated within 48 hours. Here's a forecast for the next week. lol When I get a minute I'll take a pic today.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
Glad to hear you still have an iron in the fire! Nice on the software upgrade, maybe you'll be moving out this way?

I'll make a decision early next week, but the sites that offer a 15-day forecast look encouraging with highs in the 60s at your place and 50s in the mountains.

No chance on moving. We would do all the work here in Pittsburgh and only be at site for occasional meetings and the installation. I'll be working on my portion of the upgrade proposal this spring. I might actually get to stick around for a site walk down the week after the meet (walk down dates TBD). It'll be a while before they make a decision on which vendor gets the work, but it's a ginormous project, so several companies are interested.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2018, 03:51:09 PM »
48 hours later and 52 F, I didn't mean to scare folks off.  :redface:

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
Too stoopit to be scared, here.   :wave:

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: Superb Tenere
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2018, 09:36:37 PM »

Yes but not gnarly stuff I can't do with the big bike.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online tankhead

« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:22 PM »

are we sleeping on the deck on the left or on the right.... :-\ :-X ??? :o

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »
are we sleeping on the deck on the left or on the right.... :-\ :-X ??? :o

Left.  ;)

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »

The snow is gone today as I stated within 48 hours. Here's a forecast for the next week. lol When I get a minute I'll take a pic today.

I love that weather app!  ;D

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »
We need some f’n rain to wash the salt & cinders off the road

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2018, 07:36:48 PM »
Well I have some good news for you wine drinkers. I have like 25 bottles that folks have given us over the years and no one is a wine drinker in the house. Now I don't know if they're good or bad wines but they are up for grabs should any of you folks that would like to partake.

:beerchug:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:54:25 PM by Virginian »