Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2017 Year in Review  (Read 1067 times)

Online Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
2017 Year in Review
« on: November 28, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »
Well, the 2017 riding season is now officially over for me. I started riding on April 10 and my last ride was on Oct 31st. Altogether I did 14,464 kms (8,987 miles).  Not great numbers but I plan to do more than that in one trip next year. I’ll have more on that later.

As I did last year, I am sharing some of the highlights of the year just ended. I will try to keep it as short as possible. I will also talk about some off topic highlights and include some pictures. 

Some of the pictures that I am posting for this report were posted in previous threads but thanks to Photobucket, they are all gone from the interwebs now. 

NEW BIKE

After years of riding mostly paved roads I decided to make a change this year and I bought a new Yamaha Super Ténéré ES to be able to explore dirt roads.  It was delivered on Feb 28, 2017 right in my driveway.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Special delivery

I’ll take the one on the left please. I am not a hooligan.

Now the wait for the snow to melt.

Our riding season started early for us in South Eastern NB. The following shot was taken on April 10.

First ride. Notice that the ice is still present.

Online Acadian Rider

Re: 2017 Year in Review
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
ST.O EASTERN SPRING MEET

When talk regarding an Eastern Spring Meet in WV started on ST.O I was very much interested. However, the fact that it was in early May made me a little bit nervous, especially with the new bike that would now have to be broken in before the end of April but the early start to the riding season allowed me to do just that. 

If I was going to go all the way to WV, I wasn’t just going to turn around and go back home right away. The plan was made to stay two nights in Marlinton WV at the Marlinton Motor Inn with the other SToners and then two nights in Sparta with my three other friends from Moncton.

Four of us left Moncton on May 3 and we joined the other SToners in Marlinton WV on Friday May 5th. 

As is often the case when I travel in a group there are few stops and few pictures taken but I did take a handful of them. 

Marlinton Motor Lodge WV.

The other SToners and me.

We had a wonderful time riding the twisties of WV for two days and I enjoyed seeing some of the old regulars and meeting new ones.  It’s too bad than many cancelled due to the weather forecasts which were calling for cold and rain. In the end, it wasn’t that bad.

After our two nights in Marlinton we rode to Sparta NC and spent two nights there also. On our way, we did some of the regular must do roads including 16 below Tazewell (Back of the Dragon).

Overlooking New River somewhere in WV

From Sparta we did 58 to Shady Valley and The Snake (421) which was actually pretty deserted this early in the season. The employee with whom I talked to inside the store complained about the lack of riders due to the cold but I didn’t complain.

Deserted Country Store in Shady Valley

Obligatory Picture under the Sign

I love those signs

After The Snake we did 143 and 80 and finished the loop to Sparta by riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

We stopped either on 143 or 261 Roan Mountain and it was colder up there. While we were stopped, a young black bear crossed the road but I did not have time to take a picture. 

High up on either 143 or 261 in NC

This is what we were seeing over the railing.

Back to Sparta we made a beeline to Amish Country in PA where we stopped to see a play at the Sights & Sound Theatre in Lancaster. We saw “Jonas” and the four of us were quite impressed by the quality of the production and all the props.

The four of us in front of Sight & Sound Theatre in Lancaster PA

We were given our own private parking

All in all, we were gone for ten days and did exactly 6,000 km (3,728 miles) for an average of 373 miles per day if you count in miles. 

Online Acadian Rider

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
DIRT RIDING ON THE TÉNÉRÉ

After we got back from WV I installed some crash bars and it was time to start exploring dirt roads in my neck of the woods.  It did not take very long for me to figure out that the Ténéré is a big and heavy bike that cannot do what smaller displacement bikes can do on dirt and you do need proper tires.   

Altogether, I went down four times during the riding season and three of those were on the same day in ruts and mud. This was before I got tires better suited for dirt roads (Heidenau K60). 

Get off #1

Get off #2

Get off # 3 with the pose

I did get off once after I got better tires. We were exploring some dirt roads around where the Fundy Adventure Rally was going to take place near Sussex NB. Paul suggested that we go down to Martin Head on the Bay of Fundy where he had been once years before. As you approach Martin Head, the road goes down to the Bay of Fundy and it is fairly steep and full of rocks. On our way down, we stopped and who comes along but the organizer of the Rally on his bike accompanied by a professional photographer from Mexico who was going to be the Rally photographer. This was on a Tuesday and the rally was starting on the Friday. 

This is where we met the Fundy Adventure Rally organizer

When we got to the bottom we were rewarded by this scenery.

Martin Head on the Bay of Fundy

Before my get off, Paul’s bike decided to take a nap in the sand. I made sure to take a picture before he could pick it up. 

Paul’s Wee Strom taking a nap in the sand

Fun in the sand. It was tricky getting out of there with the big Ténéré

On the way up I made a mistake by not giving it enough throttle and the result was get off #4 for the year.  My initial mistake was that I forgot to turn off the TC. It is possible to turn it off on the Ténéré but you have to do it every time you turn the engine off. I am now getting better at remembering but I still forget.   

Get off #4

On the same day that we did Martin Head, we stopped at the Fundy Rally headquarters on the way back. When we got there the BMW truck was there and someone was unloading the BMW’s. The Fundy Adventure Rally doubled up as the GS Trophy Nationals this year.

Paul and Dave listening to the BMW employee who I believe was an instructor.

If any of you are interested in attending the 2018 edition of the Fundy Adventure Rally click here:

http://www.fundyadventurerally.com/

I had plans of just doing the scavenger hunt on the Saturday of the rally but the weather convinced me to stay home. Maybe next year. 

Here are more pictures of other dirt riding done during the year. 

Shepody Road following the North side of Fundy National Park

Which way to go now?

Fall colours of blueberry fields

Online Acadian Rider

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »
LIGHTHOUSES

A few years ago I went around the Province of NB and took pictures of all the covered bridges. This year I decided that I would start doing lighthouses in all the Maritime Provinces (NB, NS & PEI). At the end of the riding season I had 4 from NS, 11 from NB and 44 from PEI for a total of 59. This year I concentrated on the PEI lighthouses but next year I’ll have to do more in NS and NB. There is no shortage of lighthouses left that I did not see in those two provinces.  Most of those that I did not get from PEI are either not accessible by motorcycle or are on private property. 

I am including only two from NB, one from NS and three from PEI for this year in review. I have a zillion more pictures but this is just a review. 

NB

Point Escuminac NB

Quaco Head NB

NS

Cap D’Or NS

PEI

Indian Head PEI

Artistic shot of Covehead Harbour PEI

Brighton Beach Range Front (Charlottetown PEI)

more ......   

Online Acadian Rider

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:16:50 PM »
OFF TOPIC
Alaska Cruise

This year Sue and I did a cruise to Alaska. It was my first ever cruise. I was never really interested in doing cruises but if I was going to do one I wanted it to be an Alaska cruise.

We boarded the Cruise Ship in Vancouver BC on June 9 and got off in Seward AK on June 16. 

Before boarding the ship we spent some time in and around Vancouver including Vancouver Island in a rented cage and then we also spent some time in Alaska after the cruise also in a rented cage.  Altogether it was a 19 day trip. I know this is a riding site but I’ll post a few pictures. 

More specifically, before we boarded the cruise ship we did Vancouver Island including Victoria and Tofino. 

Butchart Gardens

Float Homes in Victoria BC.

Back on the mainland we did Vancouver and Whistler. The Peak2Peak in Whistler was definitely the highlight of the pre-cruise portion of our trip for both of us.

The Peak2Peak is the longest and highest gondola in the world.

Vancouver BC

Peak2Peak in Whistler

Let’s go cruising. 

Our cruise ship docked in Juneau AK. I never saw so many float planes as I did on this trip. 

View from our cabin window somewhere in AK. 

We had the best table in the house every night for dinner.

Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau AK

Hubbard Glacier from the Cruise Ship. Notice the chunks coming off and splashing in the ocean.

Alaska in a cage

We spent four days in Alaska after we got off the cruise ship. I want to go back but this time on two wheels. More later. 

Before this trip I wanted to fly around mount Denali which is the highest peak in North America at 20,310 FT. We were going to fly out of Talkeetna. On the day we got there, we were informed that the weather around Denali wasn’t good enough to fly there. However, they offered us a two hour flight over the Knik glacier that we took. There was only Sue, me and the pilot in the small Cessna. It was a pricey flight but worth every penny. It was the #1 highlight of the entire trip for both Sue and I. 

If my memory serves me right we were flying at about 7,000 FT and the ceiling was at about 8,000 FT. 

Sue and I in front of the small Cessna with the pilot in the middle.

We had to speak through a headset.

Knik Glacier

The following day we drove to Valdez on the Glenn Highway and on the Richardson. It was a beautiful drive.

Alaska Pipeline going to Valdez and starting in Prudhoe Bay.

Worthington Glacier on the Richardson Highway AK

View from the Glacier

Valdez AK

We flew back home from Anchorage AK. 

Running

Now that I am fully retired I am able to run more.  This year I did five races compared to three last year. The difference this year is that due to my weight loss, I was able to train more and I got better results. I am not an elite runner by any stretch of the imagination but I was more competitive this year in my age group of 60+.  I am planning more races next year. 

Online Acadian Rider

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
BIG PLANS for 2018

Back on topic. 

I am presently in the planning stage of a trip to Yukon (YT), Northwest Territories (NWT) and Alaska again but this time on two wheels. 

I’ll be doing the D2D in Dawson City YT on June 20-23, 2018. It is the annual gathering of adventure riders in Dawson City YT that coincides with the summer solstice.

From there I plan to do the Dempster all the way up to Tuktoyaktuk (Tuk). Based on what I read on ADV rider there will be no shortage of riders doing the same trip next year. It will be the first summer that you will be able to ride to Tuk. Previously in the summer you could only ride up as far as Inuvik NWT. On Nov 15, 2017 a new all year road was opened that goes from Inuvik to Tuk. Google maps is saying 915 km (568 miles) of dirt road from Dawson City YT to Tuk NWT. And then you have to come back down. That should be fun, especially if it rains. 

On the way back home I will do some roads in AK but I have not finished drawing the itinerary yet.

My friend Paul whose VStrom took a nap in the sand in one of the pictures above will be with me. 

We still have a lot of planning to do but I know the trip will be 35 - 40 days.   

And that is it for the 2017 year in review.   

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
Looks like you had a great year, thanks for writing that up.  We also did the Alaska cruise a few years back - looks like maybe the same ship even (Celebrity Millennium).

IBA #37902

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:04:08 PM »
What a great year and write up! Thanks for sharing.  :bigok:
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Great write up. Glad that Tenere is bringing the fun.

My year:  Bought a new bike. Broke my arm. Sat in the garage and stared at the bike with a pouty face.
A man with no sig

Online Acadian Rider

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
Looks like you had a great year, thanks for writing that up.  We also did the Alaska cruise a few years back - looks like maybe the same ship even (Celebrity Millennium).

Yes it was the Celebrity Millenium. 

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
 :thumbsup:
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.