Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Test rode the sprint gt, had a rattle, have a couple quick questions plz  (Read 1528 times)

Offline OscarMike

• Motorcycles: 2001 Kawasaki ZR7s
Hey guys,  I got to test ride the sprint gt.
It rode ok, a little rougher than my zr7 but good.
It did have a rattle that was coming from the front of the engine,  near the exhaust that came in around 5k rpms the warmer the bike got it seemed less,  any ideas?

Offline OscarMike

Re: Test rode the sprint gt, had a rattle, have a couple quick questions plz
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:06:03 PM »
I will say my zr7 has an issue with the exhaust manifold bolts loosening and makes a similar sound. .
But couldn't tell on the sprint

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
All I can tell you is that my GT does not rattle like that at all.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:34:48 AM »
Should not be rougher than a ZR. Might be one to avoid.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline OscarMike

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 08:05:53 AM »
I should clarify rougher, it was stiffer, I think the rear preload was turned up on it

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
There a few hits on cam chain rattle or cam chain tensioner on the Google. If it's a bad tensioner or it just needs adjustment it's an easy fix as the tensioner sits out there in front of God and everyone.

Just an idea, but if the bike needs you it's worth pursuing.

It could also just be a loose bolt causing the noise that quiets down as the metal expands as it warms up. Maybe the current owner couldn't be bothered to remove the bodywork and investigate or maybe didn't even notice? The slow progression over time might not be noticed.
Torque is cheap.

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »
The cam chain rattle is common but it settles down within seconds of startup. My bet is that something’s loose.

Offline Oxblood

• Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
I am not sure of the rattle. That said, my bike does make noise under hard acceleration at around 3k RPM, but it then stops as RPM and speed increase. It has not caused any issues that I am aware of.

Check out the Sprint GT sub-forum at triumphrat.net. Loads of info and insight there.

One issue with the Sprint that while not common is well known is shifting issues. On an affected bike shifting will stop when the bike is at operating temp. When you shut it down and let it coo,l just a few minutes then start it up again it will shift fine. Though in my case it did get progressively worse, with multiple seizures in a given day.

The problem is not terribly difficult to diagnose or repair. The problem lies with the clutch plates. They can, under certain circumstances (likely down to oil maintenance and use of improper oi) blue and warp ever so slightly. When two warped plates meet at the warp they jam up, and the plates cannot be separated. The only way to tell will be to take the bike for an extended test rid and get it nice and hot.

Ask if they have service records. Look for evidence that anything but recommended oil was used. If the owner went cheap on the oil, walk away. The tolerances on the 1050 are very tight, and using a cheap oil will cause issues. Also ask for verification that the valve checks were done at the correct intervals. The 1050 triple calls for a valve check ever 20,000 km.