Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Going to look ar 2011sprint GT tomorrow need advice!  (Read 1694 times)

Offline OscarMike

• Motorcycles: 2001 Kawasaki ZR7s
Going to look ar 2011sprint GT tomorrow need advice!
« on: October 27, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »
Hey guys,  I'm going tomorrow to look at a 2011 sprint GT, I know nothing about Triumphs but I'm looking to upgrade from my 01 kawasaki zr7s, is there anything I should look out for on the triumph?
Thanks!

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
Re: Going to look ar 2011sprint GT tomorrow need advice!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:32:46 PM »
Besides obvious general wear and tear, I can't really think of anything.  My experience with Triumphs is that they are generally bulletproof and very reliable.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '20 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 1996 HD Road King '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 04:49:36 AM »
I have found that dealership support is sketchy at best. That may be a regional thing for me but I haven't had a whole lot of pleasant experience with "Triumph proper".

So far so good on the actual bike itself though.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:34:48 AM »
By the time the GT came out, Triumph pretty much had all the bugs worked out of the Sprint platform. I believe the hard bags are actually water proof now too. Triples are addicting. The only negative as stated is dealer network. But from a reliability standpoint, they are not needed. Other than consumables, I have not had an issue with my 04 ST in 48K miles. My local dealer (an hour away) is cool enough to send any parts i need home with one of their mechanics that lives out by me so i dont have to drive down for them. Good luck with it.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
Usual stuff-check it's been cared for. Any major rust or corrosion, walk away. Check brake discs aren't warped and brakes aren't sticking. Check headbearings. Check engine for smoke, check all gears work under load. Check service history.  Otherwise, triples are bullet proof.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline OscarMike

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »
Well salesman wasnt there today only parts,  seems taken care of,  windscreen is hideous though. .

Offline OscarMike

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »
Well it won't let me add anymore pics.
52k miles,  is that alot for a triumph?

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
I put 46,000 miles on my Speed Triple, and had no mechanical problems besides a radiator fan failure.  I rode mine in conditions I can guarantee that Sprint has never experienced, so no, I would think if it looks to be cared for it probably was.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »
52k is nothing
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline taximan62

• Motorcycles: 2011 Sprint GT, 2012 Speed Triple, 2008 T100 Bonneville
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:04:19 AM »
Well if you do get it I have a stock windscreen I could part with for a few bucks + shipping

Offline OscarMike

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
If I do I'll take you up on that!
Well if you do get it I have a stock windscreen I could part with for a few bucks + shipping

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »
Reach out to JReazor - he's had on of them since new.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
My 2011 has been trouble free since new. The great thing about the GT is that it fixed all of the common complaints about the ST. It's a pretty solid bike. It definitely likes to run. Riding position is on the aggressive side for a touring bike but there's plenty of leg room. Just a bit of a reach to the bars. I just added a set of GenMar risers to alleviate some elbow pain. That worked well enough. The only reason I can imagine parting with this bike would be if I feel like I need to go with something more upright to do the kind of mileage I like to do.

A few things to be aware of:
  • The cam chain makes a hell of a racket for a few seconds after start up. That's normal.
  • The transmission can be a little stubborn. It can be tough to get in to neutral at times. Usually when you've been creeping along in stop and go traffic and your clutch hand REALLY needs a break. I've done some research in to this. It seems that it can be fixed by swapping the detent spring for one from a 2012 or later model. I plan to do that this winter.
  • Fuel mileage varies wildly. I can get well over 50 mpg on a long highway slog or as low as 35 mpg if I'm wringing it out on a twisty road.
  • It feels a little top heavy at parking lot speeds.
  • It's pretty easy on tires. I've been getting about 10k out of a Pirelli Angel ST rear. 15k out of a front. I expect to even better when I switch to PR4s.
  • The factory luggage is fantastic. Easy on and off, absolutely water tight and cavernous. I can easily pack for a week with out having to leave anything behind.
  • The factory seat is super squishy. Not in a good way.

Offline Oxblood

• Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
Check out the Sprint GT sub-forum at triumphrat.net. Loads of info and insight there.

One issue with the Sprint that while not common is well known is shifting issues. On an affected bike shifting will stop when the bike is at operating temp. When you shut it down and let it coo,l just a few minutes then start it up again it will shift fine. Though in my case it did get progressively worse, with multiple seizures in a given day.

The problem is not terribly difficult to diagnose or repair. The problem lies with the clutch plates. They can, under certain circumstances (likely down to oil maintenance and use of improper oi) blue and warp ever so slightly. When two warped plates meet at the warp they jam up, and the plates cannot be separated. The only way to tell will be to take the bike for an extended test rid and get it nice and hot.

Ask if they have service records. Look for evidence that anything but recommended oil was used. If the owner went cheap on the oil, walk away. The tolerances on the 1050 are very tight, and using a cheap oil will cause issues. Also ask for verification that the valve checks were done at the correct intervals. The 1050 triple callls for a valve check ever 20,000 km.