Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: tankhead rides west again.  (Read 25174 times)

Online tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: tankhead rides west again.
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
The plan was to get up to Jacob Lake.  That is where the junction of 89A and 67 (the 44 mile road to get to the north rim of the GC is.  All around there on forest roads you can free camp so long as you are at least a mile off the road.. Here is that day

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Up and to the right of the plateau is the north rim.

My home sweet home

Dinner for the night

With the fire ban lifted I was given permission to have an open fire by the forest ranger back at the visitor's center.

Perfect fuel

It was somewhat cooler up there at about 9000 ft.  But what is camping without burning things....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:49:38 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
The next day the plan was to do the 240 miles round the grand canyon and get to the south rim.  But on the way I had to go up to Page, AZ to reserve the Antelope slot canyon tour for my family when they come in,,,,,,so that was that.  Now there had been a fire ban because of the half a dozen forest fires that were burning up on the western part of the north rim.  I woke up in the middle of the night having a hard time breathing.  The wind had shifted and the smoke had crept in to my camping area and it was just hard to breathe.  The wind shifted again and I was fine and went back to sleep again.

I was excited because I would be traveling down to the Vermillion Cllffs and over the Navajo Bridge that is Marble canyon where the Colorado river had carved out the mouth of the grand canyon.  One of my favorite places. 

This nice couple got me coffee from the hotel while we sat and chatted for awhile at Marble Canyon.  I didn't take many pics from this point on because I would be traveling through here with my family later this week.

Apparently the old lodge burnt down a few years back.  I can imagine why.  Last time I was here it looked like a tinder box stuffed with flammable chatzgeees.  Here is the new and improved version.

Yes boys and girls, there are places on our planet that look like this, I know it's hard to believe... but it is real.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:08:18 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »
If you take a good look at some of the last photos you can notice a washed out look.  That is smoke in the air.  You always had the smell of pine in your nose.

It was getting somewhat annoying so as I traveled more down 89 I could see the fires in the distance that was the south rim.  It was very hot again.  I made the decision to go to Flagstaff for the last two nights at a Roadway inn.  I stopped at Sunset crater NM.  Got the stamp.
Never heard of it before but it was quite remarkable that all of Flagstaff area are tiny volcanoes  all around.  Here are the pics of that day.

More fires way off of 89

sunset crater

Violent flow of hot magma that has since cooled visitors can't see pics , please register or login

1000years ago

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:51:24 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »
So for the next night I went next door and got a bottle of wine for the room.  Went to the restaurant and got an Omelet for dinner  :o

The next morning I would travel to Jerome, AZ.  I wanted to visit the wine shop from the lead singer of a band that I am a fan of the next day would be the day my family flies in and picks me up. 

Here is my day:

Getting to Sedona

Getting to Jerome

I bought a glass of Tempranillo and a hat.

Then went and found lunch in this wonderful mountain town.

Leaving Jerome.

I headed back the way I came.  Rain chasing me the whole way.  Got to the hotel and couldn't sleep because the next day would be like Christmas to me... I would get to see my family.  I could not wait.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:03:09 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #254 on: August 16, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
I will not be posting a ride report of my family being in town and our adventures..

Tomorrow I will wrap this ride report up from the time in Flagstaff when my family leaves till I get home.

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
Loved UT12, I need to get there on a bike one day.  Maybe not in the height of summer though :)
IBA #37902

Online tankhead

« Reply #256 on: August 17, 2018, 08:32:37 AM »
As my family pulled in to the hotel at about 1:30 pm the rain over Humphreys peak was coming and cloud to ground lightning also.  I had to get my motorcycle to a guy named Phil that I met on the ADV tent site.  He told me that he would leave the garage door up, to pull the bike in and that he would move my bike later.  :o

And so with my family now following behind me in the pouring rain I tried to find this guys house.   They found it before me because they could see.  I really couldn't focus due to the huge amount of rain.

I parked the bike, got out of the space suit, left even my stinky socks on the bike, and hopped in the passenger seat of the rent-a-van and we were off for a week to see the Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon and Antelope Slot Canyon..

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:55:47 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:56:17 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2018, 09:11:42 AM »
Finale
The night before my departure we stopped to get the motorcycle at Phil's house.  He was there and I got to finally meet him.  I checked out my bike and all was well.  Strapped the gps back on it, thanked him numerous times and got out of there to meet my family back at the hotel in Flagstaff Proper.  We spent the evening with food and drinks and the girls went to bed while my wife and I headed back out for a couple adult beverages and some alone time.
So I promised the girls that I would wake them when I was all set to go. We had booked two rooms for most of our stays.  My step daughter could not make it because of a summer college course, so they had the luxury of having their own bed the whole trip. 

We stayed at a haunted jaunt.  Hotel Monte Vista.  Quite a few famous people stayed there.

The morning of my departure I went into the girls room, and with them still hoovering around sleep and awake, I kissed them both and said that I would be home in five days.

My wife walked with me down to the bike at about 6:00 am.  Without coffee, I kissed my beautiful wife, gave her a big hug and promised to be careful and get back safe.

And I was alone again.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:05:40 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »
I really had one mission on the way home.  To get home.

I took maybe a half of a dozen pics. I will not revisit the highway closure where I got stuck in 113 degree temps on route 66 averaging 4 mph.  You can revisit that a couple pages back
New Mexico visitor's center

The first night I was to spend in San Jon NM.  Free camping.  With an impending storm and more cloud to ground lightning I settled in at Tucumcari at the meth/prostitute loitering/$31.99 a night/ Red Roof Inn (I think). The reviews read:  "Room 111 and 112 had bed bugs"  Want to take a guess which room Baghdan gave me?  112.  Out of all of the rooms that is the one I was graced with.  I showed him the reviews and said look I just want to get some sleep and be out of here at 6:00, I don't want any problems.  He assured me that there were no bed bugs and so I took it on his word and settled in.  Was actually not that bad and I felt bad for being grumpy and hangry towards the man... Here is the pic of that night when I got in with the storm approaching .
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:59:22 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »
The next morning I was graced with one of the two huge storms that I had to navigate around/through/or wait.  By the time I got through Amarillo in the morning I was soaked, shaken, and stirred.  Thunder cracked so close to me it felt like it shattered my left rib cage.
I pulled off to get gas on the east side of Texas at a place called Allen Reed.  Didn't seem familiar at the time. So I pull up to the gas station, take the tank bag off, and go inside to pre-pay cause we hemorrhaged more money on this trip than we expected. I only had $25.00 dollars left on me until later that day when my wife would get home from the airport and bee-line it to the bank to replenish funds.

I went in and talked to the old/older women and gave her the money and told her I would be in to get the change.  As I walked outside it all hit my in the face.  Memories of being out there 10 years ago when I was so in love with the women I ended up marrying and being so excited that I was almost to New Mexico.. I had texted her this picture ten years ago.

And here is the pic from last week

Also from ten years ago

Now

I told the lady my story of this place ten years ago and what we had seen now.  She told me to get as many pics as you want because it was going to be coming down.  I asked her why.  She told me a horrific story about her son, last year, who had a ranch with many horses, his girlfriend stopped by to wrangle up the horses because of a fire on his ranch.  They were both out there trying to move the horses when the wind changed and they were burned alive.  She was going to get that cowboy/girl mounted on their grave. We just looked at each other for what seemed like forever, I told her that I was so sorry to hear about that, and with a tear rolling down my cheek I wished her well.  As I was outside preparing my bike to leave, she came out and gave me a postcard of the place with the cowboy and cowgirl kissing.  It now sits posted on my refrigerator..

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:00:18 PM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
And so it goes.  Me going as fast as I could to get home:::: Safely. I ended up in Ozark, Arkansas. The next morning the rain was present.. I looked at the radar and there seemed to be an opening that I could squirt through if I timed it right.  The storm was moving due east and I knew I would eventually have to punch through it to get dry.

I rode and rode through the mist of the 40 footers off spray.  Again and again I tried to wipe my visor clean so I could see. 40 footers ten deep, wind, rain, then torrential rain.  I pulled off the next exit and got breakfast, which I really never did this whole trip. 

Trying to dry off and checking the radar updates I scarfed down my meat lovers omelet.  Back on the bike for an hour.  I got gas and checked the radar again.  Purple and red cells all to my immediate east.  I talked to a trucker who advised me to go north and then south.
So I did. 167 N to 67N to 412 east/south...then back on 40 east, bypassing Memphis.  The route took me into a tiny portion of Missouri?????

With the added mileage of about 70 miles I still made to the goal of the day. Cookeville, TN.. Cookey Cookeville.  618 miles that day , if I recall.

Downed a couple of coronas that I got from the gas station next store and a bag of HOT peanuts and slept like a baby.  The next day the goal was to get to Virginian's house... Rain again in the morning. 

What I found interesting is that I went from 7000 ft plus from flagstaff with a gradual down slope to 300on the west side of tennesse and then all the way back up to 2800 ft near the Virginian.  Appalachia.

Got to Eric's house at about 6.  He poured me a triple of Bombay Sapphire with a shot of tonic. We talked outside for quite awhile. 

A word about Eric.  An extremely generous dude who has so many interests. 
He taught himself how to do this from a you tube video

He also let me shoot some snake shot with my right hand and I am left handed

He and his wife were very kind to let me roll up and stay the night.  I wanted minimal fuss and was prepared to camp on his dock like at the spring meet.  But they had a downstairs bed made up for me where his beautiful Pugs are not allowed to venture.  He had remembered that I am allergic to dogs.

We showered and went to dinner at this cool restaurant.  I had two glasses of wine
with dinner and got pretty tuned.  We got back to his place and talked some more about the trip and life in general.  It was so nice to see a familiar couple of faces to talk to after being by myself for quite a few days.   Thanks again Eric and Lisa.  I really do appreciate it.

I set my alarm for 5:30 am.  My phone must have died during the night.  I was out like a light.  Woke up to some stirring upstairs.  I noticed the sun was up.  I jumped out of the bed.  Gathered my things .  Got changed back into my riding gear and headed upstairs.
Eric was up.  I said,  what time is it.  "After 7"  Holy shit.  I was late.  I was going to try and get the 10:15 ferry from lewes.

We said our goodbyes and thanked him again.... and I was alone again.  I put about 90 miles on before I stopped to get coffee and check ferry availability.  7/11 coffee. Good.  Ferry: Sold out except for the 10:15.  I booked it knowing that I would never reach it in time.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:18:37 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »
I got to the ferry at about 12:30.  The guy told me they were sold out and that I would have to wait until 5:30 pm .   I asked if I could get in the stand by lane?  He told me he could not guarantee me anything.  I said I'll wait anyway.

Got in line and an older man came around with the rolling mirror to check for explosives under cars or drugs.   When he came up to me he asked me to open up my bags.  As I did I began stating my case.  """" I have been away on a month long trip,,,, I bought the 10:15 ticket but traffic was so bad on the Bay Bridge......... I would really like to get on the earliest ferry if you could just squeeze me on..."

I'll see what I can do.....Goes and talks to the line director...... "MOTORCYCLE!!!!!! Pull up here behind this motorcycle. 

And with that I was on the ferry with a corona in my hand and texted a picture of it to my wife who promptly called me.

I was 44 miles from home.  I could not believe it. It had been 10 years ago that my friend at the time/ wife now, came out to meet me in St Michaels on my return trip and we rode the ferry together. 

It had been a long time away. Now I had to get home.

Torrential rains on the parkway for about 5 miles.  Sunny for the exit.  Rain from a mile out.  And then I was home.

Proud.

The end
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:22:27 AM by tankhead »

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »
That's a great report,  I've enjoyed it and was happy to be a small part of your journey. remember there is always a room and adult beverages for you in Rapid City, stop by anytime. I need to do something this grand one of these years.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »
Long, slow clap.... :clap:

Bravo!
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
Enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks for taking us along Chris.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »
I try to wait till the end to comment and just wanted to say what a trip of a lifetime you took. It would be very hard for me to be away from home for that long. We are super thankful that you stopped by for a short spell.

Your friend,

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
Wow!  That was a helluva trip!

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
Thanks Chris. Great report and photos. How was the quad ride?
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
Wonderful trip, Chris!  Thanks for taking us along. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online tankhead

« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice words.  It took me over a week to compose,at about 3-5 hours a day writing and pasting pics. 
I do know that I'm glad that I finished. There is a part of me that feels like I should cash in my chips and walk away from touring on a motorcycle.. almost 70,000 miles since 2006 since I got my first Street bike... No problems. I feel like I have been there done, done that.. it saddens me but I feel like it is not all that interesting to me anymore...
I got nothing but love for my brothers and sisters on this site, but I do fear that this will be the last time I make any substantial contributions for a long time if ever. So cheers to everyone who followed along. I wish I could buy you all a round....
Cheers
Chris. Xoxo

Online tankhead

« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »
Wine

Online tankhead

« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
Anyone want to buy a trailer?

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2018, 09:35:27 PM »
Wonderful writeup,
All of the great pics brings back a lot of memories

Flaming Gorge, 141, 12   :clap: :clap: I got to get back out that way

Thanks
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline Newton Hills

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200 GSA
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2018, 11:41:09 PM »
What a great report and pictures Chris! Thanks for taking me along for part of it,This I will never forget and to think our friendship came from the sale of a motorcycle! Take care my friend and please stay in touch!

Online tankhead

« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »
That's a great report,  I've enjoyed it and was happy to be a small part of your journey. remember there is always a room and adult beverages for you in Rapid City, stop by anytime. I need to do something this grand one of these years.

You and Gregg need to ship your bikes out to West Virginia.  I will meet you and will take you guys on luscious roads.  Maybe Doug could meet us out there and take you off road while me and Gregg do a day of road ribbon riding.

Online tankhead

« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »

We had originally looked at your reccomendations, but when I was in Escalante watching cars getting busted by the fuzz, I called and they would be away that week.  :o If you could believe it.  So I had to get to Bryce and book the one we took.. Here is the picture I sent to my family the day I booked the tour.  Just to make sure everyone was on board....

We had a freaking blast.  Awesome experience that my girls and wife will never forget.  Wonderful.  Took that pic of the Pronghorn on the ATV.  Great time. Thanks for your insight.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:23:46 AM by tankhead »

Offline vfrmike

• Location: Myrtle Beach SC/Jacksonville Fl/Canyon Lake Tx/Cloudcroft NM
  • Motorcycles: 19 Street Scrambler, 80 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2018, 07:04:26 PM »
Great ride report Chris!

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2018, 11:36:51 PM »

We had originally looked at your reccomendations, but when I was in Escalante watching cars getting busted by the fuzz, I called and they would be away that week.  :o If you could believe it.  So I had to get to Bryce and book the one we took.. Here is the picture I sent to my family the day I booked the tour.  Just to make sure everyone was on board....

[/url

We had a freaking blast.  Awesome experience that my girls and wife will never forget.  Wonderful.  Took that pic of the Pronghorn on the ATV.  Great time. Thanks for your insight.
Sounds good to me!

Online tankhead

« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2018, 05:29:39 AM »
Hey there, just a word about the water flooding my basement.  We spent good money to have upstairs and master bathroom toilets replaced two weeks ago only to have them jammed up with sand from our well.  Now I have a guy coming out to give an estimate for the well problem.  If it is a new well that is needed, then it looks like a $2500.00 to $5000 job to dig a new well. Plus putting a filter into our water feed in the house from the well.
Oh and our area, according to the water testing lab that I called, has been showing mercury in the water.... So yeah... that..

Most expensive summer yet...

Online kendenton

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: August 29, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
Thanks for taking the time and effort to put that together - it was fun to travel along with you!
IBA #37902

Online tankhead

« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words.  It was a great trip.

The plumber who replaced our toilet while I was away did not know how to shut off our water from inside the house????? So he asked my wife to show him where our well is outside, which she did.  He then proceeded to pull up the pump somewhat and with that dislodged or cracked the 4" pvc pipe which now collapsing sand into our well.  The new plumber could not believe that.  When my wife explained to me what he did when I was in Tennessee, I asked her why did he do that?  The shut off valve is in the basement next to the pump or he could have shut the electric off from the house... :o :o :o :o

SO now it is going to cost me $2400.00 dollars to fix the cracked pip..  Let it be known that I have put a call in to the original plumber and we shall see how that goes.

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2018, 10:07:14 PM »
That sucks Chris, 2018 hasn't been the best of years for a lot of us!

Online tankhead

« Reply #283 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:41 PM »
We ended up finding a well digger that would repair the cracked casing for $300.00.  In the meantime I dug a 40 ft trench by hand with one shovel on a pitch to install a drainage system to take care of the long over due drainage problem into the basement.  I had to rip up the old pavers and trench out to the side of the house that already had a pitch.  Worked out really well and am proud of the job that I did. 

We fixed the toilets.  I have re set the neutralizer so that the copper doesn't keep corroding due to low PH.  600.00

And on and on and on..

We just ordered a job to replace the title and carpets on the first floor so that the tiles don't start popping up due to the flooding.  New hardwood laminate.

$5900.--  the hits they keep on coming. 

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2018, 07:52:19 PM »
We ended up finding a well digger that would repair the cracked casing for $300.00.  In the meantime I dug a 40 ft trench by hand with one shovel on a pitch to install a drainage system to take care of the long over due drainage problem into the basement.  I had to rip up the old pavers and trench out to the side of the house that already had a pitch.  Worked out really well and am proud of the job that I did. 

We fixed the toilets.  I have re set the neutralizer so that the copper doesn't keep corroding due to low PH.  600.00

And on and on and on..

We just ordered a job to replace the title and carpets on the first floor so that the tiles don't start popping up due to the flooding.  New hardwood laminate.

$5900.--  the hits they keep on coming.

Well ain't that a bucket of sand in your britches. :(

Online tankhead

« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
I had the opportunity ride with Chris during his trip out west, what a great time! Chris is a great navigator and knows all the good spots to explore, he is also a great person to spend time with, never a bad moment! Had a great time and made some awesome memories! If you ever get the chance to ride with Chris take it, you will have a awesome experience! Thanks again Chris for setting all this up! We will ride again my friend! Safe travel's to you on the way home!

Great Navigator????? Not so great about roundabouts in Grand Junction..... "Here we go round in circles...."  LOLOLOLOL  hahahaha

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #286 on: October 15, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »
I had the opportunity ride with Chris during his trip out west, what a great time! Chris is a great navigator and knows all the good spots to explore, he is also a great person to spend time with, never a bad moment! Had a great time and made some awesome memories! If you ever get the chance to ride with Chris take it, you will have a awesome experience! Thanks again Chris for setting all this up! We will ride again my friend! Safe travel's to you on the way home!

Great Navigator????? Not so great about roundabouts in Grand Junction..... "Here we go round in circles...."  LOLOLOLOL  hahahaha
Those were confusing as hell Chris!

Online tankhead

« Reply #287 on: December 12, 2018, 06:17:07 AM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 07:08:08 PM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #288 on: December 12, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »

Online tankhead

« Reply #289 on: December 24, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »

Merry Christmas to those who are still reading this.  I miss the West.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
Merry Christmas to those who are still reading this.  I miss the West.

Merry Christmas!

`still read'n.  Fantastic colors in the pic!
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2018, 06:25:36 AM »
Merry Christmas to you! Love this ride report!

Online kendenton

• Contributor
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »
Merry Christmas!  That is a seriously nice pic!
IBA #37902

Online tankhead

« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »
If only that white van wasn't in the pic.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
If only that white van wasn't in the pic.

:chuckle:

My thought too - and I was going to ask.

I'll get it tended right quick (this is an easy one).

White van's gone as are the pull-out signs and a couple roadside items that didn't seem proper / distracted my eye.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online tankhead

« Reply #295 on: December 26, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
Man!!! How'd ya do that?  I'm assuming photoshop but man that is great work.  Thanks.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »
Man!!! How'd ya do that?  I'm assuming photoshop but man that is great work.  Thanks.

You're welcome.

You're on the right track. Paint Shop Pro v5 (15+ year old program (1999 copyright)). Clone tool. Clone like colors around the "blemish" to remove the blemish. As far as clones go, this was an easy one. The image has a good amount of "variety" where the clone action isn't too "noticed".

I gave a glancing look at removing a couple clouds touching the ridgeline but with the uniformity of the sky, the clone is more likely to be noticed (unless more effort / time is devoted - at least for my level of skill).

Online tankhead

« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »
Well it is my new desktop now.  Thanks again.

Online tankhead

« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »
Next time maybe we ride the Schafer Trail, Black Hills said it comes out by Moab somewhere if you stay on it.

I saw the entrance of Potash rd as we got on the west side of exiting MOAB. 

Next time?  I thought I retired from motorcycle touring... hmmm  8)

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
If Moab ends up on anyone's list, PM me and perhaps I'll meet with the jeep for some different perspective on the trails.