Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: tankhead rides west again.  (Read 15051 times)

Online tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: tankhead rides west again.
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 05:37:17 AM »
The Bear Tooth Rally is July 20,21 & 22 for your planning purposes!

How cold has it been the many times you have been there at that time of the year?  I will be in my summer mesh suit.  I guess I will bring a bit of cold weather gear and an inside liner with me.

you will be fine. It has been as cold as 29deg. and snowing at the top and as warm as 65. but, it's 80 on either end so you're only cold for an hour  ;)

Right  ???  ;)  the majority of my trip will be in 100 degree weather  :o :o :o  Decisions decisions

I typically wear my mesh jacket and just throw on a fleece jacket under it half way up the pass.

Copy that

Online tankhead

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »
I plan on joining you for sure, not sure about Austin and Mike? I told Austin to check with his employer about being gone in July! I'm looking forward to it that's for sure!

Bring your camping gear!!!! Should be a riot.... With the SENA comm units  8)

Online tankhead

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
Calling Black hills, black hills to the bat phone!!

Do you guys go down to Cody from 14A and then due north on 120 up to red lodge?  Were do we stay in Red Lodge?  Who makes the arrangements? Do I need to reserve a room?

Gregg says he is hanging with me till MOAB...... What do you say? Arches, Moab, Dead Horse point???? You down?

FYI: I intend to be camping.   FREE CAMPING that is.. Not stealth but primitive camping..  This is already going to be quite an expensive trip with the family.  Flights, jeep rental, car rental, Atv rental in bryce area, lodging., partying with family in Flagstaff... So after Red Lodge it is caveman living for me.  Just to let you know.

Chime in and Happy belated Thanksgiving to you..

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »
RE: ATV rental
When we visited the area in 2013 we rented ATV's with a guided tour at Grand Staircase ATV in Tropic. He was good to deal with, and while the scenery was awesome the ride itself was rather tame. That suited my wife but the kids and I would have preferred a bit more challenge. I probably could have done 80% of it easily in our rented Explorer. If you're all experienced make sure to ask about the degree of difficulty.

RE: Cody to Red Lodge
This past summer I did Red Lodge to Cody via 212/296/120. Without a doubt, single best section of the entire 11 day trip! Or perhaps the next day of your adventure? If so I'd run it both ways.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline Newton Hills

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200 GSA
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »
There are a few different ways to get to Red Lodge Chris, We have taken the Cody route and also a little further north thru Burgess Junction, What a beautiful ride!!!! none of us like riding the interstate so we stay off it as much as possible, Mike is the navigator and  always great at getting us there! As far as lodging goes you can camp out with Austin and I in Red Lodge. Lodging that week is difficult!

Online tankhead

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »
RE: ATV rental
When we visited the area in 2013 we rented ATV's with a guided tour at Grand Staircase ATV in Tropic. He was good to deal with, and while the scenery was awesome the ride itself was rather tame. That suited my wife but the kids and I would have preferred a bit more challenge. I probably could have done 80% of it easily in our rented Explorer. If you're all experienced make sure to ask about the degree of difficulty.

My kids have never ridden any thing other than cars so I am sure they will be excited either way.  Scenery is really what I want them to experience.  So that sounds right up our alley.  I will check out the above mentioned Tropic Atv place.  Thanks

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
Depending on how much time we have I intend to put you on as many good roads as possible. typically we leave Rapid and take I-90 to Gillette, 14/16 N. of Gillette to Ucross, then cross the bighorns either at Buffalo-Ten sleep or Sheridan- Grey bull or Lovell. then Powell,belfry, red lodge.
Saturday we ride the pass, Cooke city for lunch ride a ways down chief Joseph, and back over the pass to redlodge. remember it is a Harley event ;), but I think you will enjoy the evening.
Depending on time (if we leave a day early) we can cover all the pavement in the bighorns and maybe a little gravel if you want. We may also get some more riding in West of RedLodge.
Not sure How far I can tag along afterwards, but will see what I can arrange. Looking forward to it. I see Gregg has the lodging taken care of so no need to worry about that. 

Online tankhead

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2017, 06:11:12 AM »
Depending on how much time we have I intend to put you on as many good roads as possible. typically we leave Rapid and take I-90 to Gillette, 14/16 N. of Gillette to Ucross, then cross the bighorns either at Buffalo-Ten sleep or Sheridan- Grey bull or Lovell. then Powell,belfry, red lodge.
Saturday we ride the pass, Cooke city for lunch ride a ways down chief Joseph, and back over the pass to redlodge. remember it is a Harley event ;), but I think you will enjoy the evening.
Depending on time (if we leave a day early) we can cover all the pavement in the bighorns and maybe a little gravel if you want. We may also get some more riding in West of RedLodge.
Not sure How far I can tag along afterwards, but will see what I can arrange. Looking forward to it. I see Gregg has the lodging taken care of so no need to worry about that.

Well alright!!!!!! Thanks

Online Black Hills

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
It will be fun I guarantee! If there is anything in particular you want to see let me know, I plan to stop at the medicine wheel, other than that just let me know what you are interested in and we will fit it in.

Online tankhead

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »
IT all sounds perfect. Thanks for the info.  I really am not well researched in that area so I am sure it will all be mind blowing.  I will be coming up through the Pine Ridge reservation
to Wounded Knee to the Badlands. Gregg gave me fair warning but I am going to take my chances.  Looking forward to riding with you all.

Online tankhead

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
The flights and van rental for the family are booked! Now the logistics can begin while we are there.  Reserving the '"Glamping" at Zion, the ATV tour in Bryce, and the Antelope canyon tour along with lodging at North Rim Grand Canyon..(good luck), and the Bryce area.. SO damn excited for my family to see the South West that I love....

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2018, 09:35:12 PM »
Sounds like a great trip Chris! Can't wait for the ride!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »
The flights and van rental for the family are booked! Now the logistics can begin while we are there.  Reserving the '"Glamping" at Zion, the ATV tour in Bryce, and the Antelope canyon tour along with lodging at North Rim Grand Canyon..(good luck), and the Bryce area.. SO damn excited for my family to see the South West that I love....

Cool.  Obviously don't miss sunrise / set at the canyon.  And look into Virgin River Narrows hike.  Can be as long or short as you like.  We did a 2 day overnighter from the top down.  But you can do an out and back as far as you'd like.  It's very very cool.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online tankhead

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
Lodging at the Grand freaking Canyon is on!!!!!!!! We scored one of the cabins....

Also Camping at Jackson Hole within a couple blocks of the center of the city is set.

Can't freaking wait.
 8)
 8)
 8)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
Woohoo! Looking forward to this ride report!
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2018, 06:01:33 AM »
:popcorn:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online tankhead

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2018, 09:20:03 PM »
Thankfully ADVrider tent site rocked the shit out of it..

I will be able to stow my bike while my family is in "town" while we check out the various areas of the grand canyon, bryce, and zion for 7 full days.

Things are shaping up to be a wonderful trip.....

One more thing I might have to arrange...... time will tell........

Online tankhead

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
Well I did the shake down ride to the Lake Anna meet.  Packed all the gear that I plan on taking on the trip.  With room to spare, all is well.  Was hoping to "Glamp" in Zion but most offerings were on the west side of the park.  Don't have that kind of time.  SO we rented a "tiny house".  It has a upstairs balcony and can sleep 5 os us.  20 minutes from the east entrance.. All that is left to do is change the oil and shaft drive oil, figure out IMGUR, and WAIT>>>>>>> patiently...

Here are some changes to the agenda.  My buddy Gregg will be riding along with me... Can't wait to show him the west...

June 25 Jackson WY
June 26 Red Canyon UT
June 27 Glade Park Nationaal Mon.
June 28 Arches/Dead Horse Point
June 29 Capitol Reef/Torrey
June 30 Gregg Heads back then I head down Route 12 and possible camp/ Hike the shit out of Hells backbone and live up there for 2 days in my tent (weather permitting)
 Then be in Flagstaff AZ waiting for my family to pick me up and begin the trip of a life time x 2

Stay tuned..........  8)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:11:53 PM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »
As long as we're trashing this thread up good, be sure to ask Marc or one of the mods to flush this out before you actually start posting real content, or start another one for the actual ride part. Like i said, I love these planning discussions - I usually get good ideas about packing and luggage systems and such. :)

I say thrash the f&ck away.... It's my party and I will thrash if I want to, thrash if I want to   and you are all welcome to too....

Online tankhead

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »

So Ray LaMontagne is one of my favorite artists.   He is coming out with a new album.  It will be right about the time I will be off on my travels.  Exactly the time I traveled WEST 10 years ago I was turned on to him and his wonderful art>  He traveled with me in my iPod for the ups and downs of travel, during a horrible divorce, a new love, and missing my daughters more than water on the 5th day without. His music has been the most incredible sensation of bliss I can imagine.  So I wanted to throw this up in this joint.

When we were dating, I told her that when shit hit the fan with my divorce my sister and brother in law played some new music that they had and as I listened to the lyrics to this one song, "Forever my Friend",  I fantasized that somewhere there had to be someone that could be my mate, had to be someone, somewhere,  that got me. 

Within a year I found her.  Right before I went out west.  I ended up marrying her about 2.5 years later. 

She is my best friend.  She is my Thumb. I love her.  She is my wife.  Suey.. She inscribed "Forever My Friend, Forever my Love" in my wedding ring

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:38:41 PM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »

Online tankhead

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2018, 11:53:31 PM »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2018, 12:26:49 AM »
All I can say is I'm eternally jealous that you can take a month off from life to make a trip like this. If I only could i would go in a heartbeat. Be safe, seize the moment and I can only hope you share your adventures.

Eric

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
As long as we're trashing this thread up good, be sure to ask Marc or one of the mods to flush this out before you actually start posting real content, or start another one for the actual ride part. Like i said, I love these planning discussions - I usually get good ideas about packing and luggage systems and such. :)

I say thrash the f&ck away.... It's my party and I will thrash if I want to, thrash if I want to   and you are all welcome to too....
I'm looking forward to this ride Chris, July can't get here fast enough!

Online tankhead

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »

I'm looking forward to this ride Chris, July can't get here fast enough!

Right on friend..!!!!! ..... Coming quickly.... Can't wait to see all of you guys again..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:48:00 AM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
All I can say is I'm eternally jealous that you can take a month off from life to make a trip like this. If I only could i would go in a heartbeat. Be safe, seize the moment and I can only hope you share your adventures.

Eric

Thanks Brother.  Can't wait to meet up with you again and talk shit till the wee hours about the trip.. This time you and your wife make it to Atlantic City.  You have a house to stay in and a pool to swim in and if you bring some pistols you can kill the family of ground hogs the have infiltrated my barn.  :firedevil:

Online tankhead

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2018, 11:54:14 AM »

Getting ready for this !!!!

Online tankhead

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
I bought this for the trip out and back.  Gonna leave it at my friend Gregg's house while I take the journey.  Over 1700 miles to get there and possibly over 2000 to get home. Been there, done that, going across the country five times.  Not fun. To save tire life and fatigue with so much scheduled while on the TRIP I figured what the hell.         
 So I present to you the trailer...

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:38:06 PM by tankhead »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »

Woohoo!  :popcorn:

I bought this for the trip out and back.  Gonna leave it at my friend Gregg's house while I take the journey.  Over 1700 miles to get there and possibly over 2000 to get home. Been there, done that, going across the country five times.  Not fun. To save tire life and fatigue with so much scheduled while on the TRIP I figured what the hell.         

No pic?

Online tankhead

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2018, 02:55:52 PM »
Excited to see this RR. Considered Ophir Pass at all? That is one that is on my radar.

It appears that Ophir Pass is not paved and also high elevation.  Probably not going to get there.

Online tankhead

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »

Woohoo!  :popcorn:

No pic?

No pic of the trailer?

Online tankhead

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »

can't wait
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:21:41 PM by tankhead »

Online Black Hills

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2018, 08:24:48 AM »
Excited to see this RR. Considered Ophir Pass at all? That is one that is on my radar.

It appears that Ophir Pass is not paved and also high elevation.  Probably not going to get there.

not paved but can be done, even 2 up, this is the top:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »

not paved but can be done, even 2 up, this is the top:

Rude.  It CAN be done but depending on the last rainfall and the amount of traffic, the surface can vary greatly.  The top is NOT representative of the tough bit.  If you're up for an adventure and you have really good reach to the ground, I might still say go for it but don't plan anything around definitely making it across.  Give yourself an out in case you decide to turn around.  See pics here:

http://vulcanbill.blogspot.com/2014/09/kims-perspective-today-was-phenomenal.html
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Black Hills

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
it is pretty loose right before the top. for the record Shawna had to hop off for about 50 yards. you have to admit the road down the east side is pretty sweet though! for something simpler and more interesting when you head south of Teluride instead of turning left to Ophir take a right and you find this at the bottom of the hill. pretty interesting story:

Offline kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »
We jeeped over Ophir many years ago.  Beautiful road, really love the San Juans in general

IBA #37902

Online tankhead

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2018, 04:29:20 PM »
I have absolutely no experience on a motorcycle for that terrain at that altitude.  I live at the ocean.  Now on a mountain bike.... well that's a different story

8)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:40:54 PM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
T minus 9

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »
 :popcorn:

Online tankhead

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2018, 12:18:09 AM »
Shit.  I can't sleep. Hope the trailer does it's business. Not real happy about the trailer deal. Now I have to worry about three vehicles instead of just one.  But if I gets me back safer and faster so be it. If>>>>>>

Online Black Hills

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »
haha.. you need to relax. see you next week..

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
Shit.  I can't sleep. Hope the trailer does it's business. Not real happy about the trailer deal. Now I have to worry about three vehicles instead of just one.  But if I gets me back safer and faster so be it. If>>>>>>

Very few things can go amiss w/ a trailer.  Go to TSC and get a couple spare wheels and tires for all the peace of mind you will ever need.  Check and recheck your straps if they get wet.  Otherwise, fear not. 

Online tankhead

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2018, 12:29:38 PM »

Very few things can go amiss w/ a trailer.  Go to TSC and get a couple spare wheels and tires for all the peace of mind you will ever need.  Check and recheck your straps if they get wet.  Otherwise, fear not.

Yeah already did that.  Just ordered one spare tire/wheel for a perfect match.  My trailer is from TSC.  So yeah... that...

I also got the lockable draw bar pin and a lockable coupler pin just for added security..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:06:47 PM by tankhead »

Online tankhead

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
My daughter and I rigged the bike up today and took it for a ride.  Besides one tie down getting loose everything should be ok.  That Chock was a great $42.00 investment.visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:42:32 PM by tankhead »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
 Let's get the show on the road!   8)

Online tankhead

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
How do you guys feel about strapping the back wheel vs. loading the suspension and strapping the rear frame down compressing the suspension? 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:44:12 AM by tankhead »

Online Black Hills

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
that's the kind of plan I like!

Online tankhead

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »
How do you guys feel about strapping the BACK wheel vs. loading the suspension and strapping the REAR frame down compressing the suspension?

I will be loading the front suspension.
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:25:26 PM by tankhead »

Offline vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
Either way works, i usually just strap suspension down--but not too much, same as the front.