Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: tankhead rides west again.  (Read 18671 times)

Offline tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: tankhead rides west again.
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
Let me just say that Capitol Reef and the Vermillion Cliffs of Arizona, specifically Marble Canyon, continue to amaze me and bring a certain peace to me that I can't explain. Like visiting an old home that you lived in years ago... Absolutely a mind blowing experience...f-ing beautiful...
I will also add that Yellowstone and Tetons were not that wonderful to me... Many places have to be experienced by biking, hiking or by spending a few days in one area to really experience their greatness...  Like Arches.. Another place that is mind blowing but is probably best to experience doing the hiking method of viewing.... It has been a very great experience and I'm grateful to have the time away from my family however, I realize that if and when I get home safely, I have fulfilled my desire to travel on motorcycle for great distances and will probably never do something like this again.. but don't get me wrong.. It has been an awesome way to travel.... Feeling fully engaged and alive the whole time......
Ride safe
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:43:19 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »
Oh yeah, since this is a ride report.. The pics will amaze the reader... Futher muckers!

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
Good stuff! ;)
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2018, 06:49:00 AM »
Let me just say that Capitol Reef and the Vermillion Cliffs of Arizona, specifically Marble Canyon, continue to amaze me and bring a certain peace to me that I can't explain. Like visiting an old home that you lived in years ago... Absolutely a mind blowing experience...f-ing beautiful...

I will also add that Yellowstone and Tetons were not that wonderful to me...

UT12 through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument to Capital Reef followed by Rt95 to Glen Canyon still stands out as one of the most memorable rides I've ever had in terms of awe and wonder.  Like you, the Tetons and Yellowstone were okay for me.  They appeared to be overhyped.  After talking to some folks who where amazed with this area, I realized most of them had only been to this area out west and nowhere else. 

The only other road(s) which blew me away in terms of awe and wonder (as well as giggle in my helmet fun) were Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass. 

The biggest surprise to me was the Black Hills area and the Badlands.  I'd like to go back there someday and hang with our resident expert.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »
anytime Doug, bring a dirt worthy bike. there are 4,000+ miles of gravel/fire road/trails in the hills  and it gets you to a lot nicer scenery than the pavement. After August I doubt any of the kids will be back for the summer so you can have the basement.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline tankhead

« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
Yes Rt 12 also one of my favs... The pics I have show the grand new pavement. Black ribbons of fun with orange and red walls... Unreal

Offline tankhead

« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
And the bear tooth ... Wonderful.. second time I felt my groove and felt great in the twisted bits
... So much goodness..
Off to Jerome, AZ. For more twisty bits
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:18:48 AM by tankhead »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
I don't think that the true value of Yellowstone can be had from the roads or from hotels.  Driving through is nearly pointless IMO.  You spend a week or two exploring, hiking, backpacking, getting off the beaten path, watching Grizzly bears feeding on Bison and wolves descending from the hills to steal from the bears.  Getting caught in a hailstorm in the mtns only to find out there was no precip where you parked.  Lying in the grass along the Yellowstone river and screaming like a little girl when a small furry woodland creature runs up and across your body.  Waking up early and listening to the various wolf packs calling to one another across Lamar Valley.  That's where the value in Yellowstone lies. 

It's not a great motorcycling destination but it's one of the best places I've ever been...3 times....so far.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline tankhead

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
Agreed... Coyotes kept me awake the other night in Bryce... Twas fun

Online Black Hills

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »
the only time I like Yellowstone on a bike is before/after tourist season.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline tankhead

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »
Wasn't too bad Mike. Ask Gregg about the bison head to head with the super tenere... Guess who won?

Offline Newton Hills

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200 GSA
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2018, 08:00:22 PM »
I had the opportunity ride with Chris during his trip out west, what a great time! Chris is a great navigator and knows all the good spots to explore, he is also a great person to spend time with, never a bad moment! Had a great time and made some awesome memories! If you ever get the chance to ride with Chris take it, you will have a awesome experience! Thanks again Chris for setting all this up! We will ride again my friend! Safe travel's to you on the way home!

Offline tankhead

« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
Had the awesome opportunity to take a chance on buying a bike across the country a little over a year ago... Who would have thought a great friendship would have come out of that chance exchange... So glad you made the time Gregg... Best of times my friend, best of times

. Cheers

Offline tankhead

« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2018, 12:19:02 AM »
So this concludes the farthest party of my trip. I drove down 89A top Sedona then to Jerome, AZ. 162 miles today. Tomorrow my family will meet me and I can't sleep.. It's like santa is coming to town .. I'll be off the bike for 7 days.. then 2300 miles of mostly slab. To get home...Hoping to stop at the Virginian's place, if the invitation is still offered .. That takes me to the ferry to get me home sooner... Can't wait to see my family in a few hours..... Can't sleep

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
Jacob Lake, 2010.

2 buddies and I are on an epic around the continent tour. We've already been on the road for about 2 weeks of a 3 week trip. The one and only reservation for the entire trip I made was at Jacob Lake. This reservation was made a month before our departure date. 

We ride UT12 and are in Bryce. My head is pounding, days riding in a heatwave, dipping in and out of dehydration are taking its toll on me.  Hey, I'm Canadian. I don't 'do' hot. I do cold.  Anyway, I choose to miss Zion and head straight down 89A to the North Rim to Jacob Lake and get myself right. The other 2 will show later in the evening  after Zion.

I get to Jacob Lake after crossing the desert only to find the parking lot full of tour buses.  I am told at the front desk that I have no reservation. I give them the confirmation number. No Reservation, and they are full.  I was bumped. Nice. I'm not happy. I ask if their is a campground nearby.

"Yes, but you don't want to stay there"
"Why not"
"They have a tarantula problem"

Moose, bears, wolves, badgers, black flies all no problem. Tarantulas. Ya, I'm out.

I hop on the bike and blast North across the desert again on 89A into Kanab UT. I get the last room at the hotel.  I text my buddies theirs a change of plans. I text them the hotel and room number.

They show up a little after 1 am after riding about 18hrs in the heat.

Fun times!

The next day we rode about 600 miles to Taos NM. After stopping at the North Rim for 45 minutes.

Damn, I need another trip like that!
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline tankhead

« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »
Good times

Offline tankhead

« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
So we have done antelope slot canyon, horseshoe bend, atv rentals at Bryce, Bryce national Park, Zion national Park... Tomorrow grand canyon, then back to Flagstaff.. Then I head home... Unbelievable trip with my family... So awesome..

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »
Wish I could pay a pic right now... Having beers in red Lodge after chief Joseph and Beartooth... Holy shit.... Looked just like Elmer, nj.. right Ken?

LOL.  You are in some amazing country out there!
IBA #37902

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »
Wish I could pay a pic right now... Having beers in red Lodge after chief Joseph and Beartooth... Holy shit.... Looked just like Elmer, nj.. right Ken?
Are you on the way home already?

LOL.  You are in some amazing country out there!

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
 :needpics:

Offline tankhead

« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:22 PM »
Found out today from my sister that she checked out our house at 7:30 am then went back at 4:00 pm to shut the pool off and went inside to massive flooding from bathroom into our basement.. called insurance company.. Appraiser coming tomorrow... Not good.. 2300 miles from home..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:22:59 AM by tankhead »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
:(

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
Found out today from my sister that she checked out our house at 7:30 am then went back at 4:00 pm to shut the pool off and went inside to missive flooding from bathroom into our basement.. called insurance company.. Appraiser coming tomorrow... Not good.. 2300 miles from home..

adversity recounted at leisure...
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline tankhead

« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
500 mile day. Bad accident on 40. Shut down. Re route on rt 66. 4 mph for 20 miles in 103 degrees was super fun. Apparently, the damage at home is not that bad. Serve pro is there with fans and ripped the trim of the walls to check for moisture and disinfect... Whatever... I gotta get home... Exhausted... Been going full tilt since June 14th... Ready to be done..

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2018, 08:06:53 AM »
Be safe.

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
Ride safe my friend, your almost there!

Offline tankhead

« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:07 PM »
Tucamcari, NM to Ozark, Arkansas.. just shy of 600 miles of route 40 slab.. Amarillo gave me a great storm... Thunder cracked so hard near me I felt like it cracked my left ribs... The rest of the ride was pretty cool and dry.. pleasant.... 1300 miles to go... Then the report begins.. Lol. Till then, Cheers

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
 :popcorn: :naughty:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Tucamcari, NM to Ozark, Arkansas.. just shy of 600 miles of route 40 slab.. Amarillo gave me a great storm... Thunder cracked so hard near me I felt like it cracked my left ribs... The rest of the ride was pretty cool and dry.. pleasant.... 1300 miles to go... Then the report begins.. Lol. Till then, Cheers

And the fun becomes work.  Be safe.  Don't take too long to start the report.  The details fade. 

Offline tankhead

« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »
618 miles.. this is absolutely work.. never again.. rain. Douchebags that stay in the left lane with their Corvette or their big old 4x4 that screams "" my dick is small".  Holy shit, I am over it... Can't wait to get my ass home.. close to 7000 miles... 1.5 days left...

Offline tankhead

« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
Made it to east coast time... Rain rain go away..80 miles so far in rain and fog.. looks like I'll be trailing this thing all day.. damn this sucks..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:06:40 PM by tankhead »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »
Dang, that makes for a long day.

Offline tankhead

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2018, 04:54:02 PM »
Got home at about 3pm. 7655 miles.. gonna take a day to decompress and catch up on the property duties.. Then the ride report begins

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »
Glad you're home.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline tankhead

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »
Thanks lady

Offline Newton Hills

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2018, 09:04:56 PM »
Happy to hear you made it home safely!

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2018, 09:01:01 AM »
Wow, Chris.  I can't wait to see your pictures and read more details about the trip.  It appears to be a great story you'll not soon forget. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »
Congrats Tankhead  :bigok:
A 7k trip and solo

I will agree, the last days do at times feel like work. Looking forward to reading your write up
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Black Hills

« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
happy to hear you made it home safely...

Offline tankhead

« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
The ride report:

Day 1-5.  Saturday the 12th of July. 
Southern NJ to Rapid City, South Dakota

The day started off bad.  Like hangover bad.  Fucking wine.  The night before I was torturing myself and my wife about the damn trailer that I bought and new it was a mistake.  I had never transported a motorcycle before.  Sure I have trailered bikes with my buddy before, quite a few times, but this was different.  I had to be in SD by Wednesday evening for the kick off dinner at Gregg's house and I don't like to disappoint.  My wife and I got into a heated argument over my debating (she called it "complaining") about taking the trailer and having to worry about three vehicles instead of one. By 11:00 pm I had made up my mind that I was going to take just the motorcycle like I had originally planned. I called my daughter who was just getting done work to stop by and see me off because I would be leaving early in the morning.   She came over and said her goodbye's and I slept on the couch. Here is the bike that late evening ready to go.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Back to the hangover, I woke up with the headache and anxiety of leaving without my wife being aware that I was leaving today instead of tomorrow.  With the bike all packed, (it had been packed for a couple of weeks accept for clothes) and me donning full gear, I walked inside and my wife was making coffee.  She looked at me and said what are you doing.  I told her that I had to go and that I just did not feel comfortable with taking the trailer so I had to go.  With tears in her eyes, and anger on her face, she kissed me goodbye and I was off to see my younger daughter who was at her mother's house.

I said my goodbye's to Reilly.  Gave her a big hug and told her that I can't wait to see her in three weeks. I took this picture at that time.  I set my trip 2 on the odometer to zero and I was off.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:51:21 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2018, 07:49:19 AM »
I didn't feel like taking pictures on Day 1.  Alcohol infused anxiety and the fact that I haven't really ridden the Yamaha for any extended time since last summer when El Diablo and I trailered the bikes to NC to visit my friend along with a ride to Lake Anna for the spring meet.  The plan was to camp in Coopers Rock state park in WV for free.  With temps in the high 1000's and humidity at 200% I decided to get a hotel outside of Morgantown and get a good night's rest since I had about three hours sleep the night before.  The next morning I took Rt 50 to the border and then got on 70 for some time.
West Virginina Rest stop

This was Route 50 the next morning
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:51:41 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »
The goal was to get to Attica, Indiana for some free camping.  After a long day of slab, I found the park and decided to go into town before setting shit up and have a couple of beers and get feel for the town.  After a couple beers at a local biker bar with some biker gang in all of their leather and badges and such, I meandered back to the park and unloaded some of my gear and began to eat my dinner which consisted of a bag of HOT peanuts.  I noticed a guy with his daughter who was riding her bike around the river road.  He came up to me and starred at me for a couple seconds and said "you allowed to camp here?"  "Actually, yes," I said.  "So long as you report your presence to the number I was given on line, all is well.  I just got off the phone with dispatch and they said thanks for letting them know."  "Who did you call from dispatch?" with a evil look in his eye.  I said, "The call was transferred to state police because it is the weekend so.... yeah...... that."  He continued to look at me for what seemed like a minute.  I starred back.  Remember that I had just unsheathed my hand axe and had my neck knife in my pocket, I walked back to the picnic table and hovered around the hand axe waiting for the rotten meth toothed tatted up cretin to make his next move.  He walked away, packed his daughter's bike in the pick up, and slowly drove out of the park..

Within the hour after I partially set up my tent in the grass, the cretin had returned.  He unloaded the bike and walked over to me.... again.  "You all set up?"  he said.   Yeah pretty much, but with this humidity I just can't stop sweating.  You think it will cool off tonight.?"  I asked.
"Mostly likely not and the humidity will just get worse.  I never knew you could camp here." 
" Yeah it is listed on a web site called free campsites.net.  Pretty cool site"
He continued to stare at me for a couple more seconds and then returned to two campsites down.... And began chopping wood with a big axe....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:59:54 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »
It was so humid that I could not stop profusely sweating.  Like, pouring into my eyes, sweating.   The sun was going down, I finished setting up my tent.  The meth father now had a lady/wife show up and they were getting ready for some night fishing.  He could't get his fire going and I had some fire wood in the ring along with a mound of fast food wrappers in the extremely loaded trash can.  So with that, I lit a fire and had it roaring in no time.  I noticed that the flies had retired for the night but did notice more and more gnats in the air.  As I continued to wet a towel from the water feed they had there and hang it on my head to try and cool down, I walked over to my tent.  Covering the tent was more than a thousand of the those tiny gnats.  Now I knew that when it was time to get in the tent that quite a few would get in, that was a given, but I just couldn't believe the amount of them.

I swatted the tent and picked it up and dragged it over to the cement pad next to the fire ring.  I figured that the gnats would surely not like the smoke and leave.  NOPE.  I got in the tent and laid down for a couple of minutes to the sound of swarming, buzzing bugs around my ears and sweat dripping on to my camp pillow.  I grabbed my phone and searched for the nearest, cheapest hotel.  I found one, called it and proceeded to wrap up the whole camp site with my tent and sleeping gear full of gnats and pushed everything in my panniers in record time.  I got the fuck out of there and was taking a cold shower by 11:00 pm that night.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:16:16 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
Slab slab slab the next day.  I pushed on pretty hard and got to the border of south dakota the next day and stayed in a town called Missouri Valley, Iowa.  542 miles for the day.  I got a burger across the street and asked Gregg if it would be ok if I got there a day early.  I really wanted to check out the badlands and get my annual park pass there.  He said "of course" and recommended taking route 44 across instead of I90, which I agreed with.

Hey!!!! Is that what I think it is;;;

Well, holy shit it is:

Prop for a windmill. So cool
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:53:54 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:25:24 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »
Got to Greggs that night.  Exhausted and stinky.  Black Hills came over for a couple beers and dinner while we talked about the upcoming jaunt to Red Lodge, MT.  I expressed my interest in going to the badlands in the morning while everyone else went to work.  The next morning I was up and out to the Badlands to get my first park stamp of the trip.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:55:57 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »
As I was getting closer to Rapid city after leaving the park, I noticed some strange cloud formations appearing in the distance.  I stopped the bike at a restaurant and went inside.  A guy in a red pick-up pulled in after me and said he just talked to his daughter and that there was quarter sized hail coming and to  hunker down.  The bartender quickly pulled his garage door open and said come on in get your bike in here, hurry.  WHat proceeded was a deluge of hail that I have never witnessed before in my life.  I have three videos of the event.  It destroyed the three trucks that were there with dime sized dents all over the body of the trucks.  Luckily, no windows were smashed.  I got out of there after waiting about an hour.... Leaves were ripped to shreds and blowing everywhere.. Something else I tell you what.

The next day would be the first day of travel with the rapid city clan.  I was excited. I couldn't sleep.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:56:26 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »
Day 6-14
The plan was to meet up at 8 at the gas station down the road.
Here is my buddy Gregg ready to go.

Within a very few minutes Black hills showed up and we were off to meet up with another rider, John. 
I was warned that John was an incredibly fast harley rider and along with the bat out of hell rider black hills is, I knew it would make for more adrenaline than I had already been steadily dosed with for the last four days.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:58:38 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead

« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
We would traverse Wyoming to eventually end up in Sheridan, WY.  I had booked a room for Gregg, his son Austin, and myself for that evening.  I believe the mileage was to be about 350.  It ended up over 400 i believe. Black Hills took point and lead us through some slab and then into some beautiful roads where I took these shots.

I am posting a few of the badlands here that I forgot also. Enjoy

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:00:25 AM by tankhead »

Offline tankhead