Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weather question!  (Read 1358 times)

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
Weather question!
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
I have an opportunity to come west to Golden, CO for the first full week in November.  Riding out of Michigan shouldn't be an issue, but Denver could be.  What’s the opinion of the locals regarding riding a touring bike out there then?  I use full Gerbings kit and am not afraid to wear it.   ;D
--Tom

Offline Jim

• Contributor
Re: Weather question!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »
Boiling this out - it's an ice/snow on road question, yes???

Temps - you're set.

Rain/wetness - you're set.

I'd make it a last minute decision, weather forecast dependent.  Do you have any desire to ride IN the mountains (again, Wx dependent) or is it a question of roads between MI and Denver (and back)? IF you ride to here, and Wx unexpectedly coats the roads with snow for the departure - would you be able to wait a day (or leave a day early) or would your schedule be in a bind? Golden/Denver could be one Wx arena and the plains (Gulf moisture) could be a different concern.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
Yeah, the option to advance or delay departure is viable.  The wife is coming out for a scheduled week long ISO audit for a Golden, CO company.  My biggest worry would be snow on the roads.  Mountain riding was pretty much ruled out from the start for the time of year I'd be out there.  It's more of a get there/get back type of ride.  Some local stuff would be cool tho.  She'll be working all day, freeing me up to go play a bit.  I can always run south to come north too.  Miles are irrelevant except for timing. 

I got on weather.com and looked at temperature averages.  Low 60s for highs and right at 30* for lows.  That's a good general idea of conditions, but the way weather's been this year, who really knows!  It would have to be a last minute call for sure.  The bad news is a flight on Spirit is just $100 round trip.  I hate flying. 

Oh, rain don't skeer me.
--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:43:42 PM »
Seeing snow in the higher elevations around Durango and Silverton this week.   Nothing at road level.  Overnight temps in lower elevations are near freezing.  Daytime mid-60s.  Can't tell you what it's like back in Denver, but come prepared for an early winter is what they say locally.  Hope this helps.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:43:45 PM »
Thanks, the company canceled her Golden, CO audit.  Bonus factor - we’re going to San Jose, CA instead.   :drif: 

We’ll be out there the entire week of Thanksgiving.  I’m booking two full days on an Africa Twin for Monday/Tuesday while she’s working from Eaglerider in San Francisco.  We’ll be staying in Milpitas for her job, then moving base to SF for her time off.  I’m gonna finally see the Golden Gate Bridge and a bunch of other stuff on the tick box list.  Anybody wanna demonstrate lane splitting for me?  ;D

--Tom

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
Thanks, the company canceled her Golden, CO audit.  Bonus factor - we’re going to San Jose, CA instead.   :drif: 

We’ll be out there the entire week of Thanksgiving.  I’m booking two full days on an Africa Twin for Monday/Tuesday while she’s working from Eaglerider in San Francisco.  We’ll be staying in Milpitas for her job, then moving base to SF for her time off.  I’m gonna finally see the Golden Gate Bridge and a bunch of other stuff on the tick box list.  Anybody wanna demonstrate lane splitting for me?  ;D

Woo-hoo! I think you'll pick right up on it.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell