Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Well that's cool  (Read 1919 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Well that's cool
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:49:41 AM »
Jeanne came over for the weekend. Her daughter loves Cards Against Humanity so we were tasked with dropping in to the local game store to pick up the four expansions. She also asked if we could bring them back. We laughed but then I suggested a ride on the 'busa. It's 35 minutes but on the freeway. Jeanne hasn't ridden often, most recently on the back of a Goldwing.

Rita's old jacket fit and my track helmet, while a tad loose also couldn't be pulled off so it's good for now. I let her wear my summer gloves and she had over the ankle shoes.

I gave her the appropriate lecture on how to ride, hand placement, etc. then we went for gradually longer rides. I'd stop ask ask how it's going. She was good to go. It was pretty windy but she was unmoved by the blowing wind. At 25 I stopped for gas. My heated grips were warm enough to let her wear the heated gloves and I wore the lighter ones.

Got to her place without any issues. Dropped off the cards and headed back. The weather had gotten a bit cooler (it snowed later and overnight) and my hands were getting pretty cold. Since I had my JR pants and she had her jeans on, she was certainly in worse shape.

I took an early exit in order to ride slower. Once home, we chatted about the ride and how she felt. Not just the ride but in my lecture. She had paid attention to some things and when I went over it again at her place, she was able to understand more of the reasonings.

In all while cool, it was fun. The bike took a bit more to stop and to get going and slow turns were a bit wobbly but generally the 'busa had no complaints about the extra rider.

Of course we spent the next hour gettinh warm. :D

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Well that's cool
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
The more we can bring into the fold, the better. Good on you Carl.  :thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
Super
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:40:17 AM »
On 25 we were hitting between 90 and 95 and there were still cars pulling away (I noted that in the Christmas Thread as well). At one point we were behind a slower moving SUV (probably 85 or so) with a lot of open space in front and to the right. After several minutes of waiting for him to move over, I tapped her on the leg so she knew I was making a move. Once I felt her settle in, I moved right and passed and briefly hit 120 indicated[0] until I got around and dropped back down to traffic speeds.

When I asked at her place, she estimated we were doing between 80 and 85 when we passed the SUV :)

Heck, at the end of the ride she said it was more fun than riding the Goldwing or a Harley and is champing at the bit to go for more rides. Maybe when I head out for the New Years Day ride, she'll go along :)

Carl

• - The 'busa's speedometer is off so that 55mph = 55mph but 60mph = 59mph. So 120mph = 111mph actual. Still fast of course though.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
I guess the main thing is she's comfortable on the back. Feels safe. Was able to sync in with the bike. And wasn't panicking with the wind blowing the bike around on the road.

The wind wasn't _real_ bad but it was pretty windy. I know when I ride in the wind, I'm one with the bike and let it move freely under me but a passenger might be a bit more anxious about the movement. I didn't feel any unnecessary grasping. Her only complaint was her hands were getting tired from her hands on the tank when leaning. I told her that she could certainly sit up with her hands on my back or grasping the supports for the Givi trunk. Just to keep unnecessary movements to a minimum and make sure she was settled when we were cornering or stopping.

Carl

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
Need pics of girl with bike, or, well, you know. According to the rules, it didn't happen.

I have attached a sample for you to work from.

Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
Well, I'll ask but with the Givi on the back it might look a little awkward :D

She does look quite cute with the jacket and scarf so I'm for it.

Carl