Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daughter's hand in marriage?  (Read 11566 times)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Daughter's hand in marriage?
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »
So I have a feeling that my daughter's boyfriend is going to asking my permission tomorrow. He asked if I was going to be home tomorrow, and he never does that, and he didn't let my daughter know he was coming over to talk to me.

So...ideas advice from the EOE? Been there, had regrets, wish you had said???? What happened to you, and did it make an impact?  Is my 44 dirty and in need of cleaning? (Ground is froze so I can't take him out to show him a hole.....I know you should always pre-dig your holes).

Help a dad out here-let's spit-ball some ideas....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:12:47 PM by Max Wedge »
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Re: Daughter hand in marriage?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »
Good luck w/ that. Fortunately I have several years(at least 10) before I have to worry about my daughter getting married.
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
Do you like him?  Would you approve?

Offline Loki

• Motorcycles: Hondas
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
Wow, when it happened here.....I was actually cleaning the weapons.

It wasn't for my daughter, it was for her best friend who lost her Dad to cancer.

I asked him if I should save the last piece of cake for his girl. Knowing my wife is a great cook he asked if he could have it......

I smiled and said I didn't think they were ready yet. 6 weeks later he was out. Too selfish.

If he isn't willing to throw himself on the grenade or skip a piece of cake......

Your heart will tell you what to do. Good luck

L;
I'm lucky that in my life, I've mostly gotten away with stupid.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
Good luck w/ that. Fortunately I have several years(at least 10) before I have to worry about my daughter getting married.

But did you ask your father in law?

Do you like him?  Would you approve?

I like him. He has good qualities. He does make my daughter pretty happy, but the future is long, and a father wants his daughter to have the best.

Your heart will tell you what to do. Good luck

This is my plan B. :)
Where am I?

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »
You need to lecture him on how women are not property to be given away or asked for. He should be spending his time earning her (and your) respect.  :P
Lauren

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:59:06 PM »
You need to lecture him on how women are not property to be given away or asked for. He should be spending his time earning her (and your) respect.  :P

Truthfully, what I say or think means little. They will do what they want eventually. I think this is a show of respect as much as tradition. (and I am not signing over the title until I am ready. :P )

edit to add: At least they are telling me. :)
Where am I?

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »

But did you ask your father in law?
[/quote]

:redface:  We never lived together, were engaged or married. I never asked her dad for marriage because I never considered it. We just had 2 unplanned children. I was young & stupid. Now I'm just old & less stupid. One might think that I would have learned after my son was born.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
:redface:  We never lived together, were engaged or married. I never asked her dad for marriage because I never considered it. We just had 2 unplanned children. I was young & stupid. Now I'm just old & less stupid. One might think that I would have learned after my son was born.

...so that happened.  :shrug:
Where am I?

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »

:headscratch:

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »

kind of like "it is what it is."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzX5J_ttavA

at the 1:20 mark
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:33:57 PM by Max Wedge »
Where am I?

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
Re: Daughter's hand in marriage?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
I believe that he is showing you respect.

"If he really wants to do what is right, he will spend the rest of his life treating your daughter the way she deserves." - that's what I would say.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »

kind of like "it is what it is."

Not to get off topic, but kind of. I made some poor choices w/ my personal dating & sex life when I was younger. I never was w/ a woman that I felt strong enough about to marry & now I think I'm past the stage of getting married, but you never know. When my son was conceived, I got the story that she slipped & forgot to take her birth control. We tried to be a family, but the Mom & I just ended up hating each other & went our separate ways. She moved to Texas & got married & had another child w/ her new husband. I paid my child support,  but never had a chance to really buikd a relationship w/ my son. After a few years, she & her husband were hell bent on adopting my son & me signing off of my rights. At the time I thought that it was the best thing for my son & agreed. After she got severely beaten by her new dude she filed for divorce & moved back to the mitten. We decided that I would try & reconnect w/ my son & started spending a lot of time together. We were never in a relationship but had many intimate(physically & emotionally) times together. She ended up going back to Texas & moving back in w/ her husband. 6 years later, I received a letter in the mail saying that I had to take a DNA/paternity test. When I showed up at the lab to take the test they showed me a picture of a woman & asked if I knew her. I did. So several weeks after they swabbed the inside of my cheek I learned that I now had a daughter. Her husband got pissed, beat her so bad that she was hospitalized. The state took the kids from her & gave them to her parents who contacted me to see if I wanted to meet my daughter. I went to the house where they were as soon as I could. As soon as she glt out of the hospital she came back to Michigan to claim her children. After spending several months establishing a good relationship w/ my children, guess what, she takes them w/ her back to Texas. She wants me to sign off on my daughter, but I refuse. I'm not making the same mistake twice. We've been to court several times but because my daughter didn't know me for 6 years they cannot award any custody to me & since I signed my rights off on my son long ago there's no chance of even court ordered visitation. So for now I don't even get to speak to them let alone see them. Their mom does everything possible to avoid any contact & the court system is of no help to me. So or now I try to call & send cards/ letters & pay my child support hoping that maybe I can be in their lives again soon. My son will be 14 on January 29th & my daughter will be 10 in June. So to answer your question,  I guess it is what it is. Cheers

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
Wow.  :wow: Sorry to hear that. Didn't mean to dig that up. Sorry things went that way.
Where am I?

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »

Truthfully, what I say or think means little. They will do what they want eventually. I think this is a show of respect as much as tradition. (and I am not signing over the title until I am ready. :P )

Well if that is true why bother with asking you? It's obviously important what you think. What he's asking you is….. am I ready for this? Am I good enough?

It's probably a discussion you should have with your daughter as well.

Good luck!
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
Wow.  :wow: Sorry to hear that. Didn't mean to dig that up. Sorry things went that way.

No worries. But back to the subject at hand, I think that it's great that he wants to talk to you. It's nice to know that there's some youngsters that still have some old fashioned values! At least he didn't tweet or facebook you! Lol!

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »

Well, you said you think he's ok, so just talk about how things will change and he'll have to work at making things work and all that BS.  Can't go too wrong with that. :P

I'm pretty sure you are less crazy than my parents, so that changes things.  if you were my parents I would have told you.
Lauren

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »
Make sure he gives you at least six camels.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:20 AM »
So I have a feeling that my daughter's boyfriend is going to asking my permission tomorrow. He asked if I was going to be home tomorrow, and he never does that, and he didn't let my daughter know he was coming over to talk to me.

So...ideas advice from the EOE? Been there, had regrets, wish you had said???? What happened to you, and did it make an impact?  Is my 44 dirty and in need of cleaning? (Ground is froze so I can't take him out to show him a hole.....I know you should always pre-dig your holes).

"I'll never tell you how to be a husband. I'll never tell you how to be in a marriage. I'll never tell you that you'll have to love her forever, or that you guys have to be a fairytale. I'll only tell you this... lay a hand on her in anger, just once, and the world won't be big enough to hide. Go, with my blessing. Make a life. Make the normal mistakes. Make the best of every day. You know my one warning."

That's the summation of whatever it is I'll say when it's my time. :wave:
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
I have no kids and my wife's father was not in her life so i did not have to ask anybody. I will say keep him talking and talking, make this a bit longer than the normal conversations and see what he says when runs out of rehearsed words. go with your gut.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
Your opinion on the matter is invalid. They will do it eventually with or without your approval. I'd respect the fact he asked and take it from there.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 10:44:34 AM »
Your opinion on the matter is invalid. They will do it eventually with or without your approval. I'd respect the fact he asked and take it from there.

+1

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »

"I'll never tell you how to be a husband. I'll never tell you how to be in a marriage. I'll never tell you that you'll have to love her forever, or that you guys have to be a fairytale. I'll only tell you this... lay a hand on her in anger, just once, and the world won't be big enough to hide. Go, with my blessing. Make a life. Make the normal mistakes. Make the best of every day. You know my one warning."

Me Likey!  need to have that handy in oh... say about ... hopefully ...18 yrs. when both girls have their college done or have been in the military for at least 4 yrs. My lil one just turned 4 today! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »

Oooh scary... your words that is!   :rolf:

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
:-)

Posted from a mobile device. Pardon any typos.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
No asking here.

I don't really give two shits what they, or anyone else, thinks of me.  The only one that matters is the one you are marrying.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »
I asked my father in law to be. . . . .out fo respect for him and my mother in law to be, cecause I liked em, and because my wife to be had that kind of relationship to them . . . . .

I don't think it made a difference in the kind of relationship any of us had, but it created good feelings, and cost me not a dime.

As has been said, your heart will guide you.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
Any update on if it happened yet?

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »
Last year, my daughter's boyfriend called asking permission to marry her. I gave him a short lecture about hitting and cheating then gave him my blessing. They got married April 27th, 2013.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
So that happened. He talked to both my wife and I, and asked if he had our blessing (not in those exact words) and what she meant to him and how he takes this seriously, and his life plans, and the time frame. I (we) told him how you will make mistakes and marriage is not a 50-50 proposal, but a 100%-100% commitment. They compliment each other well, and share basic values and morals. I'm good with it.
Where am I?

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »
So that happened. He talked to both my wife and I, and asked if he had our blessing (not in those exact words) and what she meant to him and how he takes this seriously, and his life plans, and the time frame. I (we) told him how you will make mistakes and marriage is not a 50-50 proposal, but a 100%-100% commitment. They compliment each other well, and share basic values and morals. I'm good with it.

:thumbsup:  Good luck to you & them! Cheers

Online doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »
Congrats for possibly gaining a son in law!

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »
Congrats! :beerchug:

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »
Also, let me know how it goes... I may be having this talk with Liz's dad at some point in the future.  :inlove:

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
Also, let me know how it goes... I may be having this talk with Liz's dad at some point in the future.  :inlove:

:wow:

I'm not surprised...she's a keeper!
Where am I?

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
?
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:30 AM »

:wow:

I'm not surprised...she's a keeper!

Aside from being awesome and smart and fun and talented and wonderful... the fact that she has put up with so much bullshit regarding my divorce the last couple years and supported my broke ass... Yes, she's a keeper.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 12:22:25 PM »
nice one.

how many camels/ sheep/ goats/ cows did you get? if you didn't get any, he's clearly not serious.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
I would have assigned him some mandatory reading and told him there was a test he must pass before getting my blessing.  :)  Good thing I don't have kids I guess.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »
8 camels, 2 sheep, and a well-fed cat.
Where am I?

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
?

Any large mouth bass over 14" is considered a keeper.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »
?

Any large mouth bass over 14" is considered a keeper.

NOT going there...............
Where am I?

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
Congrats!

...but he didn't have to drink toilet water?  I was told that was an act of courage and faithfulness.  I was told that by drinking the toilet water I would be proving my dedication to his daughter.  I was told drinking toilet water is a super-secret hand-in-marriage tradition...   :headscratch:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »

I like him. He has good qualities. He does make my daughter pretty happy.......

^ Answer, and its all that matters. You are correct, the future is long and people change. You have no control over that.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
I gave two shiney knives and a pony to my Father in Law . . . . best investment ever.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.