Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Not as Motivated as Before for the "Opportunity Strikes" Ride  (Read 12445 times)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Not as Motivated as Before for the "Opportunity Strikes" Ride
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
Since we've moved to the Piedmont area of NC, I find myself not being all that motivated to go for a ride when I come across those rare opportunities when I have 2-3 hours to kill.  When we lived in West Virginia, a 2-3 hour ride could be miles and miles of smiles.  But here in the Piedmont, I need to travel at least 45-60 minutes before getting to anything worth riding.  Though there are a few very good roads closer to home, they are short in length and are generally filled with traffic.  To put it into perspective, I moved to an area with an MSA that has a population (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) nearly the that of the entire state of West Virginia (1.6 million people in the MSA which I current live v. 1.8 million people in all of West Virginia).  I suppose I was a spoiled little boy living in WV. 

I still love getting out on the bike by running errands, going out to get some grub, or going to the range to shoot.  But, to get on the bike for a short recreational ride just doesn't do that much for me here.  The Ural is a very good bike for these short rides as I'm happy to keep up with traffic and it gives me the same cornering thrill at 45 mph as the BMW does at 65 mph. 

What I really jones for are those days which I have at least 6 hours of daylight.  I could find myself in some pretty good remote roads in SW Virginia and start giggling again.

Also, since we've moved here, I really miss the opportunistic dual sport ride which was SO easy to pull off back in the hills of WV.  I could leave my house in Morgantown and hit fire roads and trails within a few miles and stay on them for nearly a hundred miles.  At my new residence, the best dual sport riding is in the pisgah national forest which is nearly 150 miles to my southwest.  The only off road riding to be done around here are pay to ride trails which a 250 enduro bike is about the biggest you'd want. 

All this said, should I just shut up and go out on the bike and enjoy the time I have or should I sit here and continue feeling sorry for myself?   :-\   ;D

See ya.    I'm going to go ride. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Not as Motivated as Before for the "Opportunity Strikes" Ride
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
I can totally empathize with you. Since I moved to Amarillo (nearly 5 years ago) I sometimes feel like the life is being slowly drained away from my desire to ride. When I first got out here I spent a lot of time exploring the roads and discovering little nuggets here and there. But let's face it. This is the Texas Panhandle. Roads with any kind of curve in them are few and far between. I find myself having to make up reasons to go ride. That's why I started doing the county courthouse thing over on the other place. It was a reason to ride, but the road wasn't the reason, each destination was. I still use phototagging as a way of having a reason to ride around town, but even then, riding around town has never been my idea of fun on a bike. And I'm sure that aversion goes back to 20 years ago when my bike was my sole means of transportation.

To be honest, I feel guilty every time I walk into the garage and the bikes are looking at me with wanton eyes, wanting to know why I'm not dressed up and ready to take them out.  :-[
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
Wah, wah, wah...
I have to travel 2 hours North or South to find a twistybit.
Fkn British grid system. :P
Fugget about worrying about enjoying the ride, and just go and do it.
Maybe you could learn to wheelie?
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »

To be honest, I feel guilty every time I walk into the garage and the bikes are looking at me with wanton eyes, wanting to know why I'm not dressed up and ready to take them out.  :-[

That's exactly how I feel sometimes.  I see it and think, "get geared up, move SUV out of the way, push out bike, go for short boring ride."

Now, that's an idea!   :bigok:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »
Wah, wah, wah...
I have to travel 2 hours North or South to find a twistybit.
Fkn British grid system. :P
Fugget about worrying about enjoying the ride, and just go and do it.

I guess this is where we diverge on what is an enjoyable ride. For me;  the bike is minor, the road is major. Droning on and on, stopping to take pics now and then; may as well be in a cage IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the other senses that riding provides as much as anyone. But the road is the call for me.  ;)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
But the road is the call for me.  ;)

Same here.  Well stated. 

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »
i had the same problem down in MO. had to ride at least an hour to get to a decent road. then it was short (an hour or less depending on how fast ya rode). That place was killing me. i basically had to change my mindset to get through it. Taking the bike off base just to go to work on base. made my own fun excursions. Now that we are back here in SD, I am quite happy. haven't rode as much, but that's ok. I know the good roads are only 15 mins away.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Try being 8 hours from the mtns. Florida is killing me for rides but nothing beats the water! Plus, I'll only be here for 6 more months 8)
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline Scottzilla

• Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, Tuono, 600 pound dirt bike
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
Try living on LI.  :-[

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »
Pretty much *all* my riding lately has been commuting. When I have the time, I don't the money to go anywhere (yes, even a couple tanks of fuel would be a financial pinch lately), and when I have a few extra bucks, no free time. I would kill for a nice 4-day weekend and a few hundred non-earmarked dollars.

If not for yourself, Doug, ride for me. I'll be vicariously happy knowing you're chewing up some miles.  :bigok:
this signature on hold pending review

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 07:57:19 AM »
The thing is, even if you have some good roads nearby for half day rides, at some point they become the same old, same old. I used to ride all the local stuff every chance I got (after dinner, long way home from work, quick blast for 2-3hours, etc), but now have a hard time getting on the bike unless it's a full day ride. And even then, the buzz isn't the same because I've ridden those roads so many times in years past. The sport/ST riding "scene" in Pittsburgh has tailed off too, so it's mostly solo rides.

That said, I had nice two hour ride yesterday on the local stuff. It felt really good to get out on the bike in the winter, even with the crapped up roads. I think that's where the dual-sport option pays off as it may open up more local roads/riding to put in the mix to keep it fresh.

My yearly mileage has dropped in half over the last few years. When I first got back into riding, I was flirting with 20K miles (no commuting) every year. That tailed off to about 15K and stayed there. Recently I'm in the 10K range (still no commuting). Between work and the band it's been hard to get away on the weekends for overnighters or even a full day.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 08:28:15 AM »
I'm glad to know I'm not alone.  If it's not an all day ride, I find it difficult to get motived too, well said Garry.  The enjoyment of riding hasn't fallen off for me.  Once I'm out and about, I'm always reminded why I ride.  It's the initial motivation that gets me. 

It's supposed to be in the upper 40s to low 50s this New Year's Day.  I'm going to plan an all day ride.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 08:57:38 AM »
The motivation is definitely getting harder over the years. When I first started riding, I was out all the time finding anything with a hint of a curve in it. As stated by others, it is just riding the same old same old now. Unless I get an out of state road trip, my mileage is pretty non existent now. Be happy and enjoy where you are Doug. It could be a lot worse for you. 3-4 hours for you to get to the dragon...2 days travel for me. Will be thinking of you riding on NYD, while it is below freezing here. Enjoy!!! :bigok:

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
The thing is, even if you have some good roads nearby for half day rides, at some point they become the same old, same old.

That

I used to ride all the local stuff every chance I got (after dinner, long way home from work, quick blast for 2-3hours, etc),

and that

...now have a hard time getting on the bike unless it's a full day ride. And even then, the buzz isn't the same

and that!

I rarely go out for anything less then a half-day anymore, and even those are fewer in number.  Most of my mileage accrues on weekend trips.  My annual total has steadily dropped to 1/4 what it was 5+ years ago.  That was largely attributable to work.  Now that I'm semi-retired, I expect more full day rides this year. 

Only one way to resolve this; more STO get-togethers.  Hope to see y'all at one time or another sometime next year.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
I will trade any of you... Just any of you.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
Yeah, I hear ya.  SE PA must look like paradise from the coastal flatlands.

Oh, and that too...

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. 

Once I'm out and about, I'm always reminded why I ride.  It's the initial motivation that gets me. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline 2RR2NV

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »
I'm highly motivated but hardly any time. pretty much i get to commute and do food/errand runs. so I take what I can get. I still get the "you're taking the bike out?" question when I suit up and I keep telling her...  "I don't get to ride much so I'm taking ANY and EVERY chance I can get to get the bike on the road!" The Hulk isn't even broke in yet (according to the manual  :o)  Only put on 370 miles since i bought it in October. geez... pathetic.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 11:19:47 PM »
California, Baja and AZ are incredible.

I have twisties from the moment I leave my driveway where ever I am. 

Having grown up in a flat-land type of area, I would never move back.
IBA: 63413

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »
I'm hoping the new bike will allow me to really ride again and not just commute across the bridge. I'm 15 minutes from work, but only 10 minutes from some really fun roads and trails.

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
Since we've moved to the Piedmont area of NC, I find myself not being all that motivated to go for a ride when I come across those rare opportunities when I have 2-3 hours to kill.  When we lived in West Virginia, a 2-3 hour ride could be miles and miles of smiles.  But here in the Piedmont, I need to travel at least 45-60 minutes before getting to anything worth riding.  Though there are a few very good roads closer to home, they are short in length and are generally filled with traffic.  To put it into perspective, I moved to an area with an MSA that has a population (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) nearly the that of the entire state of West Virginia (1.6 million people in the MSA which I current live v. 1.8 million people in all of West Virginia).  I suppose I was a spoiled little boy living in WV. 

I still love getting out on the bike by running errands, going out to get some grub, or going to the range to shoot.  But, to get on the bike for a short recreational ride just doesn't do that much for me here.  The Ural is a very good bike for these short rides as I'm happy to keep up with traffic and it gives me the same cornering thrill at 45 mph as the BMW does at 65 mph. 

What I really jones for are those days which I have at least 6 hours of daylight.  I could find myself in some pretty good remote roads in SW Virginia and start giggling again.

Also, since we've moved here, I really miss the opportunistic dual sport ride which was SO easy to pull off back in the hills of WV.  I could leave my house in Morgantown and hit fire roads and trails within a few miles and stay on them for nearly a hundred miles.  At my new residence, the best dual sport riding is in the pisgah national forest which is nearly 150 miles to my southwest.  The only off road riding to be done around here are pay to ride trails which a 250 enduro bike is about the biggest you'd want. 

All this said, should I just shut up and go out on the bike and enjoy the time I have or should I sit here and continue feeling sorry for myself?   :-\   ;D

See ya.    I'm going to go ride. 

Doug I hear you , with the area around me growing, wildly with population, its taking longer and longer for me to hit clear and start enjoying the ride.More and more traffic lights longer just to hit the clear let alone anything worth riding, and a lot of back roads I used to do aren't back roads anymore as in the last 5 years the developers have looked in every nook and cranny to build.i was not real motivated to do 2 hour rides as it took an hour just to get out of major traffic. maybe this year my tude will improve but as I get more crachity , I doubt it :gerg: :cry:
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »
I have only spend 6 months of my life in an area where good riding started at the end of my driveway . . . . .

Of course, I am a fool, so take that into account.

Ride.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
It might be time for a dirtbike.  NC has a lot of woods.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 06:17:35 AM »
It might be time for a dirtbike.  NC has a lot of woods.

Good idea. :thumbsup:

I am retired, so the opportunity happens all the time. Now I pick and chose.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:35:51 AM by JonS »
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline marc11

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
I've fallen into this as well. I've grown bored with the all day loop from and to home where the destination is ....well home.

There is no adventure, nothing to really stop and see, a lack of purpose.

For me riding has become about purpose. Using my bike inleu of my truck. I get a lot of satisfaction just commuting, running to the store, going to business trips or the airport on my bike over using my truck.

When I do take pleasure rides on the bike it is very destination focused. I set my mind on where I want to go and what I hope to see. I stop more now, take pictures, talk to people and I focus less on how many miles I rode that day, how many cars I passed or what my top speed was. I do not stay at one place and ride around it for days and I do not use the same route home as I did getting there. Sometimes I do not even build a route. One trip I wanted to go to Portland Maine so I just routed myself from coffee shop to coffee shop that was heading in the general direction and which was about 150 miles apart and I set it to avoid highways. Turned out to be a great trip with zero pressures and zero expectations.

I find it far more enjoyable this way over jumping on the bike and riding around in a big circle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »

I find it far more enjoyable this way over jumping on the bike and riding around in a big circle.

Well said.  I've quoted just this part of your reply because I too find this to be where I'm heading.  Later this year, I plan to ride to and from the MotoGP race in Indy.  Other than getting there on time, my plan is to not make any plans.  Just ride.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
I was motivated to go ride today.  Perhaps I was a little too motivated.   8)   C:-)

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »
So that's what a warning looks like.  I've never seen one myself.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
So that's what a warning looks like.  I've never seen one myself.

Do you just skip right past this to a ticket?

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
It's never been presented as an option.  Perhaps I'll ask next time.

Beth and I have gotten the lights and "slow the hell down" wave a couple times.  I guess I could count that.

Offline 2RR2NV

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
It's never been presented as an option.  Perhaps I'll ask next time.

Beth and I have gotten the lights and "slow the hell down" wave a couple times.  I guess I could count that.

same. and also get the WTF?? look as i go flying by and the smokey can't do anything being stuck in curvy traffic. mwahahahahaha

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 07:22:10 AM »
same. and also get the WTF?? look as i go flying by and the smokey can't do anything being stuck in curvy traffic. mwahahahahaha

This is what surprised me the most.  We met on a curvy road headed the opposite direction.  I have NO idea how he turned around (incl. where) and caught up to me (edit to add...) so quickly

When was passed, I was over the limit, but not by much and I didn't see any lights in my mirror.  I thought it was a non-issue.  I couldn't believe that he actually turned around caught up with me (so quickly).   8)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:20:59 AM by R Doug »

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 10:43:14 AM »
We are never as fast as we think we are.   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »

I edited my comment above.  What I meant to say is how impressed I was that he caught me so darn quickly.

I just kept my normal pace after seeing the LEO.  I wasn't trying to outrun anyone ;)

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:05 AM »

exactly, think you are getting pretty good in the dirt try an Enduro that happens to be a national, you will soon understand the difference between you and a pro ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »
Since we've moved to the Piedmont area of NC, I find myself not being all that motivated to go for a ride ...

Welcome to my 3.5 years in NJ  :-\

I cannot tell you how happy I am to be gone from there!  :wings:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »
Since moving to the land of the 12 month riding season, I'm doing much less riding.  >:(

Part of it is that I've over committed myself and just haven't had much free time. But part of it is also the loss of a great commute. When I traveled between State College and Altoona, PA every day, I could get 80 to 100 miles a day on roads that were just a joy (and right by the Cablebandits). Now, it's a boring 8 miles one way of stop and go through suburban sprawl. No joy in that ride, so I hardly ever take the bike.

I don't think I enjoy riding any less. Whenever I find the time to get on the bike, it feels even better than my fantasized memory of it. I just need to work less and play more.
A man with no sig

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
How's this for a thread revival?

Work and life in general have been pretty taxing lately.  I'm feeling the need to get away.

Tomorrow morning my plans are as follows:

1) wake up

2)  eat breakfast

3)  pack bike

4)  get on bike and go. just head in the direction I feel like and stop when I feel like it. 

I have no plans other than be back Saturday evening. 

Opportunity Made - Just Ride.

:chili:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »
How's this for a thread revival?

Work and life in general have been pretty taxing lately.  I'm feeling the need to get away.

Tomorrow morning my plans are as follows:

1) wake up

2)  eat breakfast

3)  pack bike

4)  get on bike and go. just head in the direction I feel like and stop when I feel like it. 

I have no plans other than be back Saturday evening. 

Opportunity Made - Just Ride.

:chili:

:bigok:

I expect pics of dry land.  ;)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:37 PM »
North probably won't be the best option this weekend.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

:bigok:

I expect pics of dry land.  ;)

North probably won't be the best option this weekend.

I'm thinking south or east (towards the coast).  An ocean front room with a balcony wouldn't suck. 

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »
Good idea.  We're back in the single digits.  The 60's of a day ago seem like they were never here...other than to melt some snow so the roads could freeze into solid ice again.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »
30s here this morning. 

Looking at the temperature map, south it is! 

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »
You should be 100 miles down the road by now. 

Get out of here.

Offline RedCBRRider

• Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200GSA
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
Have a good trip Doug.  I plan to do exactly that, as soon as the weather warms up to a point where I can actually do that.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 09:53:41 AM »

I'm thinking south or east (towards the coast).  An ocean front room with a balcony wouldn't suck.

Ya this would really suck.

At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline R Doug

• Contributor

Offline SWriverstone

• The Road Cubist
  • Motorcycles: DL650 Wee-Strom
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 11:11:11 AM »
Just catching up---your thread struck a chord with me Doug, and I live where you used to live! You might think it's difficult to get motivated to ride where you are...but even in Morgantown, I feel like I've got to either slab it a while or deal with hyper-clogged roads like Rt.7 or Rt.19 to get anywhere good to ride. I think I need to get small dual-sport, because there are plenty of interesting dirt roads near town (as you know) that I could ride on the Wee-Strom, but just don't feel like abusing the bike like that. (I did that recently when I said "What the hell?" and followed a beautiful doubletrack dirt road in remote Preston County that got pretty rocky and gnarly pretty quickly. I had no trouble handling it on the Wee (just gunned it through the nasty parts)...but I kept wincing every time I heard a baseball-sized rock go "CLANG!" off the bottom of the bike. (No, I've never bothered to put a skidplate on it.)

As Garry said, even the great riding (in the Mon National Forest area, for example) takes an hour or two just to get to, and I've ridden those roads a hundred times...so like you, I often find myself saying "Screw it" and playing drums or going for a kayak paddle on the river instead. :(

Interestingly, I think the riding that was close to home back when I lived in the Harpers Ferry/Shepherdstown area was much better than Morgantown---just because there are a lot more beautiful, well-paved twisty roads with little or no traffic in that area than around Morgantown.

I'm going for a long ride next weekend, and right now my favorite destination is Ohio---across the river from New Martinsville. I can't get enough of those roads.  :thumbsup: But that still takes a good 90 minutes to get to...

Scott
Riding a rashed-up bike is strangely liberating.

Offline SWriverstone

• The Road Cubist
  • Motorcycles: DL650 Wee-Strom
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
FOLLOWUP: After mentioning this thread to Jamie, her response was as follows:

"Eh you're all just turning into old farts. I bet 20 years ago you would have JUMPED at the chance to ride ANYWHERE every chance you got!"

:lol: I think she's got a point.

It's just a matter of time before we're all on Gold Wings with golf club carriers on the back...

Scott
Riding a rashed-up bike is strangely liberating.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
I wonder if she would say the same thing if you just ride ride ride and leave her home with the rug rats every nice day.   :lol: