Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tires for a long trip on a GSA.  (Read 591 times)

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
Tires for a long trip on a GSA.
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »
I'm at that odd point in tires.  My current Anakee 3's on the GSA only have a few thousand miles on them and they don't look bad.  But in September we're riding out Colorado.  It's going to be a straight highway drone out and back and I don't think the A3's are going to hold up for the entire trip.

I'm considering going for a more Street tire like the PR4 or can you recommend something that's going to hold to the highway melt down?

Scratch are you paying attention.. Sept 11- 15 we'll be in Pueblo...hint hint!!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • We-Todd-Ed
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
Re: Tires for a long trip on a GSA.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »
I'd definitely look at the PR4s or maybe some Tourances.  I got over 12k on those when I had my GS. 

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
Isn't there a Pilot Trail tire Michelin makes similar to the PR4's but for ADV bikes? I get more mileage out of Anakee's than Tourances. Tourances only go 12k for me.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-4-trail-tires
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
I always had good luck with the Tourances, but I didn't try any of the others listed here.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
Isn't there a Pilot Trail tire Michelin makes similar to the PR4's but for ADV bikes? I get more mileage out of Anakee's than Tourances. Tourances only go 12k for me.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-4-trail-tires

Yes I'd have to go with either the PR4 Trail (or maybe the GT) to get the 19" front and the 170/60-17 rear.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
I'm getting incredible mileage out of the Continental TKC 70s

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/73717/i/continental-tkc-70-dual-sport-rear-tire
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/73717/i/continental-tkc-70-dual-sport-rear-tire

What is incredible? how are they on wet roads?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »

I suppose mileage expectations are relative. 

I got nearly 6k out of a rear and there was at least 1K left when I pulled the rear for a long week trip which I installed new rubber because I'd be going > 1K.

The front remains unchanged and has over 7K on with plenty remaining.  For me, that's great.  I'm used to going below tread wear indicators around 6K on most other tires.

As for rain on the tire, I have some experience with these tires but not a lot.  I had one day of rain in Nebraska so that won't do you much good for cornering feedback but I can say I didn't feel any hydroplaning.  And, I had a day of rain in WV twisites on them and they felt good when cornering.  I didn't notice anything that over impressed me but I also didn't feel anything which made me feel concerned. 

Online garry

• Old and In The Way
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »

I suppose mileage expectations are relative. 

I got nearly 6k out of a rear and there was at least 1K left when I pulled the rear for a long week trip which I installed new rubber because I'd be going > 1K.

The front remains unchanged and has over 7K on with plenty remaining.  For me, that's great.  I'm used to going below tread wear indicators around 6K on most other tires.

As for rain on the tire, I have some experience with these tires but not a lot.  I had one day of rain in Nebraska so that won't do you much good for cornering feedback but I can say I didn't feel any hydroplaning.  And, I had a day of rain in WV twisites on them and they felt good when cornering.  I didn't notice anything that over impressed me but I also didn't feel anything which made me feel concerned.

That's good info as I just got a TKC70 for the rear of the 1190 for my ESTO trip. That solid strip in the middle concerns me for off-road use (mud), but there will be none of that for ESTO. Perhaps the TCK80 front with TKC70 rear will be my new norm.
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 570 EXC

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »

Perhaps the TCK80 front with TKC70 rear will be my new norm.

Great idea.  A lot of riders who see more off road riding do just that. 

BTW, given the twisty roads I see that you're taking on your upcoming trip, I should tell you I have confidently scrapped pegs on my GS w/ the TKC70s on front and rear.  I've detected zero issues on road except for vibes during a certain lower speed (like parking lot speeds). 

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: Superb Tenere
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
I'm currently running Mitas E07's on the Tenere. I have a set of PR4 trails in the garage that will be going back on after ESTO.

I only got 3,200 miles out of my last set of E07's, but I have a twitchy throttle hand (goes WOT all by itself, I swear!). They are a true 50/50 tire. The front hates mud. But they are 50% better off road than the Michelins.

I put +/- 500 miles on the PR4's before I went to the E07's. They suck in gravel. But they are 100% better on road than the Mitas. I recommend them if you're not doing any gravel riding.

Maybe Slides can chime in on the TKC80?
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online garry

• Old and In The Way
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
Maybe Slides can chime in on the TKC80?

I've taken the 1190 w/ TKC80s on a good southeast Ohio twisty fix and they stuck amazingly well for a blocky tire. I think I was riding slightly slower so maybe there is some decrease in confidence, but I didn't feel any slides or squirms. Maybe I just need a little more time with them. I have no idea on longevity, but I'm only expecting to see 3K out of the rear (I'm OK with that). They do work very well off-road though (MUCH higher confidence), so anything I give up in the twisities is more than made up for on upaved surfaces.
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 570 EXC

Offline Slides

• Motorcycles: '93 Yamaha Seca II, '13 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
Completely agree with Garry on that. Very little sacrifice on pavement or in the twisty bits, but a huge benefit off-road. It took a little while to realize how much grip they have in corners but eventually I was running them about the same as I would have on the stock Battle Wings.

The downside is that after about 1000 miles of mostly freeway the center knobs were noticeably worn. The wear rate seems to have significantly decreased though since I now have about 2600 miles on them and not a whole lot worse than they were after 1000. And that's been on probably 95% pavement.

At this this point I hope to get about 4000 out of the rear, but I don't think I'll ever get them again (unless I go with front only) since I just don't live close enough to off-road options. There is a little bit of expected vibration and freeway buzz, but not enough to worry about in my opinion. Really a terrific tire for just about anything and especially if you can approach even 20% or more of off-road use.