Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rt. 287 recently chipped  (Read 1495 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Rt. 287 recently chipped
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »
North from 44 all the way to 49 in weird, short, sporadic sections where, just two weeks ago when I was last up there, there was ZERO wrong with the road. 287, while not very technical in nature, is one of my very favorite roads in that area. It's full of sweeping, wooded turns, some elevations, the occasional section that counts as twisties, and it's just a serene and wonderful place to ride with basically no traffic all weekend long; I make that a priority every time I'm up there. And to be fair, the chipping was done some time in the last two weeks, and not a lot of it was loose at this point, but rocks would still kick up from the rear tire.

I wasn't on 144 this trip, but they apparently started chipping that the day after I was up there last trip, so maybe it's as lightly done as 287. Again, there was zero wrong with the road, so maybe it's just budgetary mandated stuff or something.

It's just that moment of "oh shit" coming around a corner at like 70, heeled over and loving life, and then you see that sign and the gravel.  :eek:
this signature on hold pending review

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
Re: Rt. 287 recently chipped
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »
Welcome to Pennsylvania.

I almost always chuckle when riders from other
regions complain of "dirty corners".
It's just the way it is here.
Eventually, you get quite good at riding
on loose chip.
Anti-skid in winter/spring.
Chip-seal in summer/fall.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
X100

Then you ride with people from down south and plow through gravely corners..... They think you're Rossi.

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
So the FJR guys are in the middle of blue-skying venues for the Eastern Owners Meet next Sept. Currently were looking at two areas, North Georgia, and, Williamsport area of PA.  Lots to see and do in the PA/NY area. Even the accommodations are looking good (hotel for 120 + banquet facilities + food + gas). Another feather for PA is that it's never hosted an EOM. We like our twisty bits, but having scenery and destinations is just as important. 

One of the guys is gonna go up and scout the area next weekend.  What kind of shape is the Hyner Loop in now? Same?
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
Every road I've been on up there recently is in great shape, excepting a few rough bits on 44 here and there, pretty far south near 15. Nothing bad. Central and north-central PA have some nice roads, but if you want more technical in nature, head South to WV and points beyond. PA's roads up thataway, while enjoyable, beautiful, serene, and lovely, aren't terribly technical. There is, however, some AMAZING dual-sport and dirt-only riding up there that'll curl your toes.
this signature on hold pending review

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
Every road I've been on up there recently is in great shape, excepting a few rough bits on 44 here and there, pretty far south near 15. Nothing bad. Central and north-central PA have some nice roads, but if you want more technical in nature, head South to WV and points beyond. PA's roads up thataway, while enjoyable, beautiful, serene, and lovely, aren't terribly technical. There is, however, some AMAZING dual-sport and dirt-only riding up there that'll curl your toes.

Thanks, the last few  years the EOM meet has been in VA twice, WV twice, NC twice... you get the idea. Nothing wrong with those venues, but a little variety is good too!
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.