Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 38770 times)

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
Re: Virginian's Meanderings
« Reply #450 on: December 09, 2019, 08:45:50 PM »
Thank you Chris, very kind words and all the best to you and your family this Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:58:23 PM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline exploring/carolina

Re: Vespa 946 Meanderings
« Reply #451 on: December 11, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »

A quick stop at Floozie's Pie Shop. The best pie ever!

Eric,

Enjoy reading about your adventures, projects, and seeing the fine photos.

When I saw photos of Floozie's pie shop, it looked familiar. We camped close to Louisa last spring, had lunch and bought a Pie at Floozie's! Fine food and nice folks!

Merry Christmas to you and your Family!

Bill

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #452 on: December 11, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »

A quick stop at Floozie's Pie Shop. The best pie ever!

Eric,

Enjoy reading about your adventures, projects, and seeing the fine photos.

When I saw photos of Floozie's pie shop, it looked familiar. We camped close to Louisa last spring, had lunch and bought a Pie at Floozie's! Fine food and nice folks!

Merry Christmas to you and your Family!

Wow! First thank you for the kind words on my posts. Second, I wish I had known you were so close by. Should your meanderings ever bring you this way again, please hit me up and I'll make sure you have a room with  view, a fine supper and something cold to drink. And a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Eric

Offline exploring/carolina

« Reply #453 on: December 12, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »

Wow! First thank you for the kind words on my posts. Second, I wish I had known you were so close by. Should your meanderings ever bring you this way again, please hit me up and I'll make sure you have a room with  view, a fine supper and something cold to drink. And a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

We camp around the nation with our travel trailer rig. Had the pleasure of camping at Hungry Mother SP Marion, VA last October when the leaves were at peak, absolutely beautiful. Next exploring trip during 2020 to VA (no date set yet) we plan to take a motorcycle on a trailer and rent one of their cabins at Hungry Mother SP. The SP is next to RT. 16, "Back of the Dragon". Can't wait to take Debbie for a two up ride on Rt. 16. We also rode bicycles on the "Virginia Creeper" during this trip, want to go on another Creeper ride,  too. 

Best Regards,

Bill
Bill

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #454 on: December 12, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »

Eric

Eric,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

We camp around the nation with our travel trailer rig. Had the pleasure of camping at Hungry Mother SP Marion, VA last October when the leaves were at peak, absolutely beautiful. Next exploring trip during 2020 to VA (no date set yet) we plan to take a motorcycle on a trailer and rent one of their cabins at Hungry Mother SP. The SP is next to RT. 16, "Back of the Dragon". Can't wait to take Debbie for a two up ride on Rt. 16. We also rode bicycles on the "Virginia Creeper" during this trip, want to go on another Creeper ride,  too. 

Best Regards,

Bill

Well Bill, don't be a stranger! Thanks again for commenting.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #455 on: December 12, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »
TBT - Throw Back Thursday

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #456 on: December 24, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »
So I was telling Bourbon I've been good this year and Santa was going to hook me up. ... I don't think he's buying it...  :mad:

Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day or Happy Hanukkah all my scooter and m/c friends.

Eric

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #457 on: December 26, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »
So I was telling Bourbon I've been good this year and Santa was going to hook me up. ... I don't think he's buying it...  :mad:

Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day or Happy Hanukkah all my scooter and m/c friends.

Eric

Bourbon looks like he was designed and fabricated by Tim Burton in that pic.  :)

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #458 on: December 26, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »

Eric

Bourbon looks like he was designed and fabricated by Tim Burton in that pic.  :)

Bill,

I snapped that pic in a the middle of a yawn and it looked like he was laughing.  ;)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #459 on: December 26, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
He's awesome.  Can't wait to meet him.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »
It's raining pretty hard today as I've been riding during this unseasonably warm weather for the last week. So time for an update!

I'm planning a trip for 2020, either MOAB or hit up the south west, TBD. I want to make this ride once again from a minimalist point of view and thought long and hard about taking one of the Vespas but I fear it's a bad idea as the CVT transmission will have a tough go of it riding many dirt roads on the west trip and a no go on MOAB. So for the past year I've been trying to pick up a good used TW200 as I'm partial to the tuning fork. It amazes me how those 30 year old designed bikes retain their value.

After much debate I decided to work towards purchasing a new bike and spend this winter setting up for this trip. I've been looking at Honda CRF250L, Yamaha XT225 and Yamaha TW200.

So I was getting ready to buy beat up scooters and bikes and flip them to foot the bill, kind of what I do every winter to feed my addiction. But! When I was on my Vegas trip (I'm not much of a gambler) I was hitting the penny slots up. I had a tremendous win streak for 3 days in a row and cashed out and ran away. Mrs. V absconded most of it but I kept enough to literally pay for this bike.. Woohoo! It got so bad the the hotel was issuing me W2s. Crazy... Apparently if you win in anything gambling over the amount of $1,200 it's an automatic W2.

Being an old school Harley rider I was super salty that the SOA slot wasn't paying anything ever!

Spin forward to now I've been researching for which bike to to go with. I landed on the CRF250L Rally, larger tank and some weather protection. As luck would have it Honda has a warehouse full of non ABS 2018s and offered a $1,000 rebate. They started popping up on Cycletrader for incredible prices. I found one at a steal of a price at Track N' Trail up in PA close to State College. Road trip for 10 hours round trip.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #461 on: December 29, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
It was a little chilly on the ride home...

A warm streak here in the east so away I go!

I was out grabbing tags yesterday and was taking a pic of the racetrack and a sheriffs deputy rolled up on me. She was just checking on me to see if I was okay and was super nice! Even let me grab a pic with her.

So that's the latest un-epic adventures of mine this week. I have some really cool ideas for setting up this bike and this will be my winter project this year.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #462 on: December 29, 2019, 09:01:33 AM »
So last night Mrs. V and I went out for supper to celebrate life, also Daisy Mae's birthday and I had a nice ribeye with plenty left over for the pups when we got home.

One parting shot, you know you live in the south when your local little league team is named the Biscuits!

I wish all of you good health, happiness, and the best year of your life coming up in 2020. Happy New Year folks.

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #463 on: December 29, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »
Sweet. Let me know if you wanna polish your off road chops on that thing.  I have just the place.  Mrawesome and smoker are witnesses to the fun that can be had.  I hear it's supposed to be warm Wed.  😎

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #464 on: December 29, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
Very cool new bike.   Congrats!   I noticed it in the Wyldkat thread and was wondering when we would get the formal introduction.   

They get great reviews and certainly have a well proven engine.   It should be a good, do-it-all, go-anywhere dual sport that's perfect for your trip out west.   

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #465 on: December 31, 2019, 07:24:31 AM »
TBT - Throw Back Thursday

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Here's the story behind this bike.

I believe I shared this story on the BMW thread a while back but I'll re-post it here if you didn't catch it there. As some of you may know my father was a test pilot and he wanted to have some fun with his new K100. In that photo of me absconding pop's bike to hit up the Ortega Hwy you can see the start of the transformation. He has Corbin make a gunfighter seat that kind of locked you in and the windshield is an Aeroflow.  Paige Ortiz, founder of Aeroflow was good friends with my parents and it wasn't unusual to see him kicking around on ride or us riding out to visit him. On the other side it's sporting a hand crafted muffler made by Matt Capri of Luftmeister in Long Beach. Matt Capri has been tuning BMWs since he helped build Reg Pridmore’s Daytona-winning boxer superbike in the Seventies. The name means “Air master”, and the firm from Long Beach in California has been making K-series models blow harder since 1988. He topped the 200 mph barrier on a K bike at Bonneville. Matt doesn't have a stellar reputation but that's another story... Pop loaned him that bike to do some R&D on making pipes for K bikes.

Now the rest of the story is my parents were both very active in BMW-MOA. My mother wrote many articles for MOA during her tenure. Pop wanted to paint that bike like a fighter jet but the Airforce had boring battleship gray planes so he opted to do an F14 Tomcat theme. I should mention that there were no vinyl wraps back then and what you are looking at is hand painted.  (the Navy always had and still does the coolest paint schemes) Called up a friend that was an active F14 pilot and rode that bike down to Mirimar for a photo shoot that eventually made the cover of BMW-MOA May 1989.

The Navy or DoD (I don't remember) got a case of the ass about one of 'their' F14s being filmed with a German motorcycle. Dear sir curse you letters went back and forth and they got it sorted. Here's the cover of the magazine.

And you can read the reference to issues at hand making this happen in a blurb in the magazine.

One of the prints from that photo shoot that I need to get matted and framed one day. You can see better Matt's Luftmeister pipe  in this pic as well.

My parents were pretty innovative folks in life and me, I'm just the skippy son with the mullet along for the ride. Sure their examples spurred me on to create my RD400 into a cool race bike but I pale by comparison. So to be clear when i share some of these pics we are laughing at, I was a starving broke young man trying to make my way through the world like most other folks. I just hit the lottery with my parents.

PS: Charles Bohner was the staff photographer for Douglas Aircraft and a friend of pop's. He was kind enough to drive down and take these beautiful pics and deserves to be remembered and a hardy shout out.

Happy New Year to each and every one of you. May 2020 be the best year of your life.

Eric

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #466 on: December 31, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
 :clap:

Great story Eric, thanks for sharing.
I hope we'll be able to share a ride sometime, somewhere in 2020.  :thumbsup:

Happy New Year to you and your family.  :beerchug:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #467 on: December 31, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the stories! Please continue on in 2020.

The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #468 on: December 31, 2019, 03:43:58 PM »

Great story Eric, thanks for sharing.
I hope we'll be able to share a ride sometime, somewhere in 2020.  :thumbsup:

Happy New Year to you and your family.  :beerchug:

Sam,

I would enjoy that and I'll see what I can do to get up your way.

Thanks for the stories! Please continue on in 2020.

My silly thread doesn't bring much to the table but I try to provide M/C content for folks to read on a rainy day. You are always kind to me in my threads and I thank you for that. Say?! Have you seen Dangerous Dan? Last i heard he was headed out to the left coast.  ;)

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #469 on: January 02, 2020, 07:39:58 AM »
Thanks for the stories. I always look forward to reading your posts. Sound like you had a couple of really cool parents.  8) That's pretty awesome.

Track N Trail...hmm. I'm pretty sure that's where I got my VFR from in 09. A bit of a drive from CT, but they had what I wanted at a price I liked. Don't remember much, if anything, about the dealership.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #470 on: January 02, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »
It was that last of the State College PA dealers.  They've now moved out of "town" as well due to a planned development that will need their old space.

The new place is huge compared to the old one so I think they've really expanded their offerings.  Especially in the used dept.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #471 on: January 02, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »
It was that last of the State College PA dealers.  They've now moved out of "town" as well due to a planned development that will need their old space.

The new place is huge compared to the old one so I think they've really expanded their offerings.  Especially in the used dept.

I want to say that the new facility was a concrete place and I did see over 50 used bikes on the showroom. (Roughly, I didn't count). Is Kissell still up by state college?

On a side note I took 81 up then cut over a mountain to get to this place. It looked like a killer m/c road and I can post if folks wish?

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Eric
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:02:32 PM by Virginian »

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #472 on: January 02, 2020, 12:41:59 PM »
Yup, it's been a few things over the years but one of the more recent tenants was a a concrete outfit.

Kissells has move down the road to Tyrone.

Was it 74 over the mountains?

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #473 on: January 02, 2020, 01:23:41 PM »
Yup, it's been a few things over the years but one of the more recent tenants was a a concrete outfit.

Kissells has move down the road to Tyrone.

Was it 74 over the mountains?
I think it was 75 that turned into 522.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »
Okay, I kicked the HD off the lift and up went the CRF, I'll try to share how I'm rigging it.

All my parts came in that I ordered from Erin & Scott at SRCmoto.com , all  the parts were very well packaged and made of quality materials.

I'm not going to do a step by step tutorial here but here's the finished product. Top rack anchors to the 4 bolts that OEM use for tie downs off the rear of the bike. The pannier sides anchor to the top rack and then lastly there's a cross support on the rear that anchors to the pannier sides, combined it's rock solid. I added the tool tube and it anchors to the transition of the rack to the pannier. The tool tube is nothing but a plastic tube with a giant O-ring gasket to make it waterproof. The tool tube will house 2 inner tubes, patch kit, and hopefully tools.  Slick!

Gas can tucks in nicely on the left side.

As I stated earlier, full access to the tool box on the bike.

Some of you have may seen me use the Kriega bags on my trips. I love them as they adapt to every bike I have and I don't need a set of luggage for each bike as I flip them in and out of my garage. They're literally bomb proof regarding being waterproof. I have ridden through monsoons with them and not a drop! The inside is 'white' so I can see what in in the bag in low light conditions, the liner is washable and is Velcro'd in and is also replaceable. I've been using mine for rough;y 10 years and they a functioning perfectly.

This is for demonstration purposes so I didn't tuck all the straps but you get the idea on how nicely they mate up to just about any rack. Stack them, put them on the side of the bags, use your imagination to get a tailored fit in an 'off the rack' world we live in.

And lastly, the must have ADV sticker!

This rig with a tank bag will be all I ever need as I really don't carry much. Now regarding tip overs and damage to the 'rally's' Tupperware, this rack sticks out far enough to prevent most get offs and incurring damage. Put on some decent hand guards and the rack you should be good to go. I take pride in thinking 10 steps ahead when I'm building something and yes the plastic damage was most definitely on my radar and this is my solution. 

Shades of things to come. I have this dash panel mocked up and I'm working getting it installed soon.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2020, 06:31:29 PM »
Out for a ride Saturday, about 200 miles on January 4th in the Old Dominion and it was 61*f.

I want me pot of gold! Still looking for it.. Lucky Charms will do though! ;)

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
Dash plate installed and works a treat.

January 12th and it's 68*F/20*C, time to ride.

@Vantcptr  reached out to me on the forum and we got together for a ride today. One goal, Carolina BBQ! I took him on some of my lazy back country roads in my parts. Spectacular day for riding today. It's always a good day to meet another like minded rider especially close by. Thanks for reaching out to me.

If you can't ride the world today, ride your state!

Eric
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 04:52:28 PM by Virginian »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #477 on: January 17, 2020, 01:53:37 PM »
10 hours labor to install that drag bars, thread/hide all the wiring and install heated grips. I will never do another job like that one again. Simply put, it sucked... 37*F/2.7*C today so let's give it a go shall we?  :o I'm super happy to get this task off my work bench and onto the next one.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #478 on: January 17, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
For those of you that ride in very cold weather I thought I would throw this out there on your radar. Every year on the infamous Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are going on I check the usual places that I buy my gear at for decent sales. I decided to upgrade my base layer this fall, Freeze-Out Warm'R shirt and britches. All I can say is wow! This ain't your grandpa's long johns. Wind chill was in the 20s today and they outperformed my expectations! I'm not going to win any fashion shows rocking these when I'm getting dressed but they're worth the coin in my opinion.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/freeze-out-warmr-shirt?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=8160060&PublisherName=VigLink&cjevent=815dafa5396311ea81a801520a240611

And some more parts showed up for the CRF!

I have come to really enjoy winter here in VA as I finally take a step back and get to work on fun projects that keep me motivated when I choose not to ride much this time of year.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

Eric

PS: The pinlock is amazing on the new helmet. Zero fogging on the face shield today which was an anomaly for me.

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #479 on: January 21, 2020, 07:26:57 AM »
I used the Cycle Gear version of those Freeze-outs and that was a big help. Those look really good. Stay toasty.  8)

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #480 on: January 23, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »
I used the Cycle Gear version of those Freeze-outs and that was a big help. Those look really good. Stay toasty.  8)

Thanks Bryan!

So it appears that Mrs. Sandy Claws did hook me up for Xmas and I had a new helmet under the tree this year.  :banana: :chili: The HJC RPHA 79 ST Forvic helmet, some designer I've never heard of? But! I love the color scheme with the gray ghost and it was on closeout. It came with a pin-lock shield with it which I have never seen before. In the past I always had to order one for $30 to $50 bones. Also the finish is metal flake which it cool.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-70-st-forvic-helmet?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=8160060&PublisherName=VigLink&cjevent=63d7d29f3e0f11ea816f012e0a24060c

So, I'll be rock'n this helmet this year on the Vespa. I have retired 3 of my helmets this year as they're getting long in the tooth and I want to say helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every 5 years. Might be a good time to look at your helmet and spring for a new one, it's cheap insurance when your head hits the road at 60 mph/96 kph. Buy the best that you can afford!

Features:
Advanced P.I.M. Plus (Premium Integrated Matrix Plus) construction: carbon fiber and carbon-glass hybrid fabric for enhanced shock resistance
Intake and exhaust top vents for maximum air circulation
Rear vent switch for easy control of air flow
Anti-fog smoke tinted sunshield deploys quickly
RapidFire shield replacement system: quick, tool-less shield removal and installation
Emergency cheek pads removal
Multicool interior with advanced anti-bacteria fabric provides enhanced moisture wicking and quick drying
Crown and cheek pads are removable and washable
HJ-26 anti-fog lens prepared shield
Includes anti-fog insert lens
Glasses-friendly EPS design
DOT and ECE approved

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #481 on: January 27, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »
Back to the Gray Ghost... last month I received the recall notice for the brake. I'm jammed up for the next two weeks putting out other fires so I took a shot and called the dealer to see if Piaggio would cover a tow as the scoot isn't safe to ride at this point. They said nope, so I called and left a voicemail at Piaggio's customer care number and we'll see how this pans out. If not I'll make the time and get it down there for the recall.

I'm wrenching on the CRF and that project is about 95% done and ready for new adventures.

In other news I'm setting up a small scooter rally at Casa De Redneck this spring so chime in if you're interest and I'll keep you in the loop. If I'm feeling froggy I may host another St.o rally as well. I need to start a thread as folks may want to venture out to other areas of the country.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:12:32 PM by Virginian »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2020, 12:24:14 PM »
(here's a copy and paste from ADV forum)

Now regarding the scooter get together, I haunt 3 forums. The challenge here is I can host roughly 16 folks, a bunch of campers so to post this up to the entire ADV forum is just too much let alone two other forums. My thoughts are May 1st through the 4th, the first weekend in May. If we get down to crunch time we may have to slide the weekend back based on weather. I live on a lake so if any of you are kayakers, it might be a win if you tow your bike and kayak down and do some exploring of the 17 mile lake. I will ping a few members to lead some different rides based on interest. Think, Jamestown , Monticello, etc.

I will keep a rolling list and tag each person that states "I'm in" or a "definite maybe" and update this thread as we go. @sro99 and @jon_l , if you boys want to catch a redeye for the weekend, you two can grab whatever I have in the garage. So no excuses, cost of flying and some meals while riding is it. [USER=305942]@CashCow[/USER] please shoot this across the bow of Ken for me. I owe you two boys a tall beverage. @conchscooter Burger run time, I'll have the G&T ready for ya. Any of you hoodlums from CA want to have a go, chime in and I'll save a bike for you. @MYUMPH I know you won't be able to stay for the weekend but maybe you can come down for a ride and meal with the gang on you Burger 200 or Z125!

This will be primarily a scooter run but motorcycles are more than welcome. I will clear out the garage and we should be able to get most of the scoots/bikes in the garage each night. What's unusual about this offer is you will forfeit some privacy, think slumber party. One room has 4 bunk beds, so if 4 of you are in there and 2 snore, I can't help you. Capice? What you lose in privacy you gain in hanging out with 10 to 20 like minded folks to discuss the finer attributes of what we do. Have all the beverages you want and no worries on getting back to a hotel.

We provide breakfast each morning and fruit and water to stow in your tank bag for the road. All other meals are on you, so pizza, Chinese or the like and send someone to go get it, or we all convene at a restaurant and pig out. I'll post a list of GREAT roads to enjoy, many attractions to ride to and see if any interest, and provide links so you can do your due diligence if you so desire. We will provide all linens (wash cloth, hand towel, bath towel, sheets, pillows) for up to 16 folks. I have 3 full baths but only 2 are up for grabs, sorry my bathroom is mine!

So as this list grows and folks commit it may reach a cap and I'll have to cut it off. Campers are always welcome over and above the 16 cap.

In
@DandyDoug - lower bunk
@jon_l - lower bunk
@minimac - Air mattress reloading room
@tastroman - Bed in the loft
@ysrebob - in for Saturday, not staying

Definite Maybe
@OldCoot

(more to come)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:36:23 AM by Virginian »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2020, 08:26:18 AM »
I checked with Piaggio America and they do not allow for towing. :( So the Gray Ghost goes in the shop on Monday for the recall, I'll be glad to get this fixed.

The scooter rally is coming along nicely and I'm less than 90 days out for that event and have lots to do for preparation. In the meantime I have put in a little more time on the CRF. I ordered a crash bar from T-Rex to protect the Tupperware on the bike when I dump it. I'm hoping it will do its job.

This particular one bolts up to the engine bolts which I'm not really a fan of.

Here she is all buttoned up. This was a rascal of a job as I needed an extra set of hands. Something noteworthy is I do like the rub strips on the side of the bars that are replaceable.

I then ordered El Cheapo LED fog lamps and mounts from Amazon, plus some wiring loom. Unfortunately the LEDs are on back order but should be here this week.

I prefer the webbed looms over the plastic ones.

The diameter of the bar is smaller then the smallest rubber adapters allow so i used double sided tape. I'm hoping they won't vibrate going down the road.

When the LEDs come I'll post an update and lastly I'm going to install a decent pair of hand guards. The OEM ones are just wind deflectors and will snap off on the first tip over. Then this bike is ready for adventures in 2020.

I'll put another 60 miles on it today and it will be due for the first service which I will knock out today.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #484 on: February 02, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »
So you’re ready to get her dirty.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #485 on: February 03, 2020, 09:37:51 AM »
Yes indeed!  8)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #486 on: February 03, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »
Yes indeed!  8)

Have you done much off road riding?  Do you want to do a half day of skills building / refreshing / getting to know her in a known environment where you can get as many do-overs as you want or would you prefer to just throw caution to the wind and see what happens out in the sticks? 

And do you have any off road / ADV boots?  I'd strongly recommend getting some if not.  DAMHIK. 

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #487 on: February 03, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
Yes indeed!  8)

Have you done much off road riding?  Do you want to do a half day of skills building / refreshing / getting to know her in a known environment where you can get as many do-overs as you want or would you prefer to just throw caution to the wind and see what happens out in the sticks? 

And do you have any off road / ADV boots?  I'd strongly recommend getting some if not.  DAMHIK.

The key to good riding boots is actually wearing them, ...just sayin.   :pokestick:

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #488 on: February 03, 2020, 12:55:33 PM »
Back in my motocross days, boots had no tread on the bottom.

Do good off road boots have tread?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #489 on: February 03, 2020, 01:06:04 PM »
Yes indeed!  8)

The key to good riding boots is actually wearing them, ...just sayin.   :pokestick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGSh9-hxjaw

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #490 on: February 03, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
Yes indeed!  8)

Bill,

Not much at all so I'm a total n00b. No, I do not own offroad boots and I'll start researching them now. Thanks for the reminder! My best guess is start on the bunny slops and go from there. I'm a fairly competent ride and 'usually' can adjust to the conditions.

Eric

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #491 on: February 03, 2020, 01:26:07 PM »
I had a bit of a sketchy ride down to the dealer to drop off GG with no brake. My montra for the day was brake way early and leave lots of room!

I'm having the front fender installed as well. I wrote on the fender bubble wrap to not install the side markers, it's written on the RO (repair order) as well.

A 946 peeking at me.

This is the last of the tip over damage, goodbye and good riddance. I'll be glad the get my gray ghost back on the rotation.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #492 on: February 04, 2020, 07:37:16 AM »
Yes indeed!  8)

Bill,

Not much at all so I'm a total n00b. No, I do not own offroad boots and I'll start researching them now. Thanks for the reminder! My best guess is start on the bunny slops and go from there. I'm a fairly competent ride and 'usually' can adjust to the conditions.

Eric

No worries.  We can easily spend a few hours just on the property working progressively more difficult scenarios at whatever pace you dictate.  I have a little bit of everything from groomed gravel to gnarly, rocky, steep climbs to nicely groomed loamy singletrack.  It's a very diverse 20 acres.  :)  After that, we can plan future rides down in the NF areas and hit some of the roads in those videos I posted elsewhere to really break her in.  Looking forward to it. 

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2020, 07:43:35 AM »
Right on! Thank you Bill!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #494 on: February 04, 2020, 07:52:16 AM »
No worries.  Let's get you properly addicted then you can start doing your own trip planning...  :)

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #495 on: February 04, 2020, 08:09:56 AM »
Damn! That's stunning!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #496 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
Yeah...  it's ok.

:D

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #497 on: February 04, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
Wow, I don't know if I will ever make to a place that nice being a solo rider all the time. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #498 on: February 04, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »
Another unseasonbly warm day here so I wanted to try a new app called :Relive". It summarized my run today and posts some cool information like elevation, where you stopped for pics, speed and such into a 2 minute video on google earth I think?

As a rule of thumb most folks don't like clicking on an external link so I'm unsure if I'll use this app.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vevYVGgxoyO

Here's the pics of the day, just random shots.

Drive through prayers! I'll take a super size please, done a lot of sinning...

Nothing epic, just a 65 mile walk in the park.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #499 on: February 06, 2020, 10:21:39 AM »
GG was ready for pickup so we go on a balmy 37*F/2.8*C rainy day.  :confused: The upswing is it got up to 39*F/3.9*C on when I got home. Bonus points for no reflectors on the front fender.