Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 34779 times)

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Majesty, Morphous
Re: Virginian's Meanderings
« Reply #500 on: February 06, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
Needs more lights!
old enough to know better

Offline leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #501 on: February 06, 2020, 10:59:37 PM »
Back in my motocross days, boots had no tread on the bottom.

Do good off road boots have tread?

Motocross boots still have little to no tread.    Good enduro and dual sport boots have tread.    Some of them look like hiking boots on the bottom.   They typically have softer flex in the ankles too.    You never know when, if, or how far you may want to walk or need to walk when you're out in the woods.   

Eric,   Glad to see the grey scoot is already back home and intact.  Thanks for sharing the adventures.   

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #502 on: February 10, 2020, 09:37:45 AM »
Back in my motocross days, boots had no tread on the bottom.

Do good off road boots have tread?

Motocross boots still have little to no tread.    Good enduro and dual sport boots have tread.    Some of them look like hiking boots on the bottom.   They typically have softer flex in the ankles too.    You never know when, if, or how far you may want to walk or need to walk when you're out in the woods.   

Eric,   Glad to see the grey scoot is already back home and intact.  Thanks for sharing the adventures.

Thanks Lee! I'm still researching boots, they're a bit expensive.

I managed to get a little wrenching in on the CRF yesterday. I installed the brackets for the LED fog lamps and I can't say I'm happy. There's too much compression with the big rubber clamp and I fear they may sag or rotate downwards when you hit a big bump. We shall see...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The El Cheapo lights from Amazon finally showed up. They're quite robust and look like they'll take a beating.

The Amazon light mounts have a much larger hole in theme to mount the lights then what I needed. I have trays of leftover nuts, bolts and tidbit from all the bikes I've worked on over the years and found some plastic spacers. They're bit too big so I cut to size and then used a Dremel to shave the outer edge to fit the hole.

Here's a pic of the spacer wedged in there.

Looking sharp!

I'm half way through the wiring up to the dash mounted switch. I've been using these 'low temp solder' wire connectors. All I can say is wow! Pop the wired ends in and hit it with the heat gun, it melts the solder, shrink wraps the connection, and I believe (?) there's electrical connector dielectric grease in there as well. Waterproofs the connection for bonus points.

Before

After

(more to come)
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #503 on: February 10, 2020, 07:59:20 PM »

Looking sharp!

Yes looking good! If I may, it looks like the mounts and lamps are pointed a bit off. By having the mounting brackets pointing the same direction as the lamps you have extended the fulcrum farther from the bars. Try pointing the brackets to the rear and the lights pointing forward, this will keep more of the weight over the mounting bar and less likely to twist.
Love the look of the lights how to they perform (focus, depth and brightness)?
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #504 on: February 11, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »

Looking sharp!

Yes looking good! If I may, it looks like the mounts and lamps are pointed a bit off. By having the mounting brackets pointing the same direction as the lamps you have extended the fulcrum farther from the bars. Try pointing the brackets to the rear and the lights pointing forward, this will keep more of the weight over the mounting bar and less likely to twist.

Thank you, I'll flip them around. When I get them functioning I'll post some pics of their performance.

Thanks again,

Eric

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #505 on: February 17, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
Look at the size of this burrito!!!!!

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #506 on: February 17, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »
Look at the size of this burrito!!!!!

:twofinger:

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #507 on: February 17, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
Cookie and K in Redneckistan!

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #508 on: February 17, 2020, 07:45:02 PM »
Do I spy a Cheesesteak? You know, it's only good if you get fries!
old enough to know better

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #509 on: February 17, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »
Do I spy a Cheesesteak? You know, it's only good if you get fries!

You do! But I don't eat much and could barely finish half that let alone fries.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »
Out for a quick run today to grab some photo tags. Spring is springing and really good riding weather is just on the horizon. I hope to see all of you in the wind!
]http://youtu.be/JURiu_Os-aU

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:46:42 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #511 on: March 12, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
I rode out to the one, the only Waffle House! Y'all know you love it! You know it's a particularly good one when there's a emergency clinic next door.  ;D The place was empty as folks are living in panic these days....

There was one family behind me, parents and a son and when their tab came I overheard a debate about who had the money to pay. I waved the waitress over and paid their tab. RAOK

Smothered and covered!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #512 on: March 12, 2020, 07:39:13 PM »
A nice quiet evening in the garage detailing Gray Ghost. A wash, blow dry, clay bar to pull the contaminants out of the paint, 3 coats of wax (butter wax, jet seal, hand rubbed quality carnauba wax); it's perfectamundo! I saw a fly land on GG and slide off and break a leg. :pope I hope to detail all of them by this weekend and then on to the cars. I'm close to getting all my gear cleaned and refurbished. Bug and pollen season is coming quick! :fpalm

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #513 on: March 12, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »

Looking sharp!

I reversed the brackets like you suggested and they do seem to balance the weight of the light over the center more. Thanks for the tip!

The left hand side had some clearance issues so I had to rotate it down the curve of the crash bar a tad.

Andrew,

I didn't forget to take pics with these lights for spread and distance. I'll get to it and post up what I find here soon.

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #514 on: March 12, 2020, 11:13:49 PM »
The place was empty

`stopped out to the local WH a month back - about 7pm - the place was near empty (one couple plus me). I commented and the ample staff available said - it's between Christmas credit card bills and tax refund time - every year it's quiet these few months.

Thx for the meanderings pix!  `love'm!
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #515 on: March 14, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »
I was out attending to my errands and my sciatica was giving me the business this week. I've been trying yoga but no joy there so I opted to try acupuncture. All I can say is WOW!, I'm a believer now, like night and day.

One last one for the road...

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2020, 04:49:51 PM »
Next up it's my sister's birthday and the rear tire of Bella (946) is getting sketchy so I opted to take GG up to Front Royal to deliver her gifts. In typical Virginian fashion I wrapped all my gifts in wood patterned paper and twine which reminds me of our log home.

A few country roads to get there and life was most excellent today.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #517 on: March 14, 2020, 04:50:26 PM »
I just got home after a long ride and much to share. It's quite chilly here today so I poured a hot cuppa joe and let's get to it.

****this part was to answer another fellow's question for a quick and easy detail, I left it in in hopes it might help someone here****

I have mentioned in past posts that I was the GM of a car dealership for over 20 years and I had my fair share of paint issues on brand new cars so I can somewhat say it is an area that I'm well rehearsed on.

Regarding my regimen on fending off slag, bug guts and exoskeletons, I use multiple layers of wax hand rubbed into the paint. Bug guts and bird poop are acidic here in the east and if left on for even 24 hours will perma etch into a large blemish on your vehicle. The darker the color of your bike, the easier it is to stain your paint with the sun literally baking it into your beautiful ride.

Now not everyone will go to the extreme I do but 'for me' it's therapeutic in the sense some folks might say that about mowing their yard. Open a beer, put on some good music and detail my ride. To me I enjoy this better then watching anything on TV. This also gives me time to close inspect my bike for any issues like loose bolts, unusual wear, etc. When I ride, I ride hard and I need the bike to do exactly what it's designed to with no hiccups. In my mind my life depends on it.

I'm getting too long winded here...

Here's the quick and easy way to deal with the bugs. Any of the quick shine products are almost always silicone based and yes, they do their job but at a price. The price is the protection has no legs for longevity. Most crap out there allow toxins to attack your paint in less than a week. Live in a dense area with jets flying over hourly, all that burnt jet fuel comes back to earth in the form of a film or water from rain, fog, mist, etc known as acid fallout.

A hand rubbed quality carnauba wax will last roughly 3 months, thus my reference to having legs. There are other alternatives that will last up to a year but I won't get into that.

First, strip all the wax or whatever is on your paint, use plain old dish washing soap like Dawn or Palmolive and it's very inexpensive. They have degreasers that will take off all products and get you down to the paint. There's a reason why they sell car wash soap, these products will clean your bike and leave the protective coating of wax behind.

There are new hybrids coming out that offer carnauba in a spray on variant. Meguires, Turtle Shell, Mothers all offer versions of it. This is what I use.

A simple spray on, let it set up to a haze, buff off with a quality cloth like micro fiber. This method will have about a months worth of protection regarding having legs.

Yes, you can drape a wet  towel over your bike and helmet to 'soften' the bugs and slag for easy removal. The goal mentioned above is to provide you steed a protective coat that will protect your bike from permanently marring or staining your paint. Bonus points for easier bug removal off of a waxed surface vs. exposed paint.

My ride last evening on my pristine GTS I just detailed, look at the bugs on my helmet let alone the Vespa...

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #518 on: March 14, 2020, 04:51:25 PM »
After we celebrated my sister's birthday I bounced to get home as temps were dropping fast. I check the usual online social medias to keep up with family members and I happened upon this post from the Luray Police Dept. You gotta love small town police departments.

I planned on passing through Culpeper on the way home and wanted to take a few pics to give folks a flavor of some of the small town here in Virginia.

But first a few pics for scooter tag (another forum), old country roads and then on to the main event. I hope you folks like pictures....

The Blue Ridge mountains peeking.

Random shots.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #519 on: March 14, 2020, 04:51:58 PM »
I mosey into Culpeper with a destination in mind that I wanted to investigate and happen upon this mural. William and Mary here in VA is called Bill and the bitch.

Back alleyways of Culpeper.

Note the brick cobblestone, lamp clocks, old colonial buildings with white pillars.

The architecture of the building on left with the roof-line sloping uphill.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:44:49 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »
This small quaint area should be commended in the sense that they have preserved the original buildings and the businesses that built them.

The light green structure was originally an Inn, you can see the old signage.

The seafood restaurant in the above pic, here's a close up of the fish sign. Love it! They have a raw bar as well.

This building was originally the post office, Farmers & Merchants Bank, and Clark & Co. grocers, all housing new stores today. Look at the brick work on the building on the right.

Cameleer??

The old movie theater still in operation with the neon sign on it touting 'air conditioning'!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #521 on: March 14, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »
Today's trip was to visit the Culpeper National Cemetery.

- Eligibility
Burial in a national cemetery is open to all members of the armed forces who have met a minimum active duty service requirement and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. A Veteran's spouse, widow or widower, minor dependent children, and under certain conditions, unmarried adult children with disabilities may also be eligible for burial. Eligible spouses and children may be buried even if they predecease the Veteran. Members of the reserve components of the armed forces who die while on active duty or who die while on training duty, or were eligible for retired pay, may also be eligible for burial. For more information visit our eligibility web page.

During the American Civil War, the territory around the city of Culpeper was defended vigorously by both sides, as it was a strategic point almost exactly between Washington D.C. and the capital of the Confederacy, Richmond, Virginia. Numerous battles took place in the region, including the Battle of Cedar Mountain and the Battle of Chancellorsville. The dead from those conflicts were buried nearby in makeshift grave sites. After the war a reburial program was initiated, and in 1867, Culpeper National Cemetery was established to reinter many of the remains from the makeshift sites.

The original cemetery comprised 6 acres (2.4 ha), bought from Edward B. Hill of Culpeper for $1,400. The original Second Empire Victorian caretakers lodge was built in 1872 and was designed by Montgomery C. Meigs. Many improvements to the grounds and facilities at the cemetery were made during the 1930s as part of the New Deal. These make-work improvements included replacing the original 1870s tool house at the cost of $8,000 in 1934, raising and realigning 912 headstones in May 1934, by the Civil Works Administration, and realignment and re-setting 402 headstones in 1936 though a Works Project Administration project.

Having operated without any major improvements since the 1930s, the cemetery was closed to new interments on November 17, 1972. On September 1, 1973, administration of the cemetery was transferred from the U.S. Army to the Veterans Administration's new National Cemetery System created by the National Cemetery Act of 1973. In 1975 another 10.5 acres (42,000 m2) was donated by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Burton-Hammond Post 2524, and in 2001 another plot of 12.3 acres (50,000 m2) was purchased, which has been developed for future interments. The cemetery was reopened to interments on January 16, 1978.

Culpeper National Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. It is included in the South East Street Historic District.

The entrance is just over the railroad tracks.

Notable monuments
The states of Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania have erected markers dedicated to regiments from those states who had members die in the Battle of Cedar Mountain.
The Maine monument is of granite construction and is dedicated to the 22 officers and soldiers from the 10th Maine Volunteer Infantry who died at Cedar Mountain.
The Massachusetts monument was erected by members of the 2nd Massachusetts Infantry in 1893.
The New York monument was erected in 1902 to honor the members of the 28th New York Volunteer Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Army Corps of the Potomac who died at Cedar Mountain.
The Ohio monument is of granite and bronze construction and was erected by the 7th Ohio Regimental Association.
The Pennsylvania monument was erected in 1910.
The Armed Forces Monument was erected November 1992 and was sponsored by the American Legion Post 330 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2524. The monument was officially dedicated May 28, 2001.
A memorial to all of the Unknown burials from the Civil War was erected in 1988 by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Burton-Hammond Post 2524.
The seven and a half feet tall National Military Cemetery monument constructed from a cast iron seacoast artillery tube.

Online Virginian

• Contributor

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #523 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »
I was out picking up some lunch meat and saw this on the scoot yesterday. I hope all are doing well in these trying times.

Online Virginian

• Contributor

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
A message from my local Vespa shop.

We're Open!!
To ensure the safety and health of our clients and our staff, Moto Richmond // Scoot Richmond is making a few changes right now.
We’ve been cleaning and sanitizing all common areas and commonly touched stuff on a near constant basis. We’ve suspended apparel try-ons, especially helmets. You’ll notice that our people are all wearing lovely nitrile gloves, and we can still allow you to sit on motorcycles as long as you wear some too. We have plenty! Use as many as you’d like! We’re practicing social distancing in the shop so please don’t mind when we show you the features on a motorcycle from 6 feet away, and we're limiting our shop and showroom capacity to 10 guests right now.
We have sorted out magic ways to do paperwork for a vehicle purchase using the magic of the internet, so if you are dying to buy a bike but don’t want to leave the house, let us know! We’ll handle your paperwork via FaceTime and offer contactless delivery of your motorcycle too.
Now, we know it’s spring and you many want to get your motorcycle serviced, so we’re offering free in-town and discounted out-of-town pickups and deliveries. Call us for details and we can keep you rolling no matter what the circumstances are.You know us, we’re a small business trying our ever lovin’ best to get through this, and we want to make it easy for us to help you AND for you to help US! This is weirdly the moment that motorcycles and scooters may be safer than just about anyplace else, so please know that at least some of us will be here until the government tells us we can’t be. Be excellent to each other, and wash your hands AND Your handlebars!

Love,
Chelsea and the Moto Richmond gang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a message from revzilla.

Dear RevZilla Customers,

During this stressful time, we at RevZilla are committed to supporting the needs of the riding community. We understand with limited options, people may want to ride now more than ever. The outdoors never looked so good.

Our goal is to enable riders to do what's right for their needs. We are sensitive to the spread of the virus and the majority of our staff are working remotely in order to minimize risk. RevZilla.com will remain operational and fulfill orders placed online to the best of our ability. During this period, all domestic orders will be shipped for free. We wish all the best for our customers, employees, and their families.

Two Wheels Down,
RevZilla

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2020, 06:56:25 PM »
I'm ordering perishables like tires, oil, filters ect. while I have some spare time. Revzilla had Michelin City Grips on sale! I'm not hording toilet paper but I am stocking up on what I normally blow through riding every season. Headed to the garage later this evening to service the CRF.

With Italy on lock down it's entirely possible Piaggio may run low on parts in the near future. So I ordered my consumables for the foreseeable future over summer.

So roughly $80 clams U.S. to service the 946, oil change, final drive oil change and clean the air filter. Yeah, I'm bored today so no more updates... Carry on!

If you own a European bike and have maintenance in the near future, my advice is order now to keep you on the road.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2020, 07:35:01 PM »
Look at it

LOOK AT IT!!!!!!!!!

― Frank Zappa

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »

If you own a European bike and have maintenance in the near future, my advice is order now to keep you on the road.

I ordered mufflers for the Guzzi a few weeks ago. I wonder if I'll see them this year. It would be totally acceptable if I don't mind you, just curious.

― Frank Zappa

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »

I ordered mufflers for the Guzzi a few weeks ago. I wonder if I'll see them this year. It would be totally acceptable if I don't mind you, just curious.

Sure!  :bigok: All jokes aside, did you get tracking info yet on the Mistrals? I hope you get them soon as they sound amazing.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »

Sure!  :bigok: All jokes aside, did you get tracking info yet on the Mistrals? I hope you get them soon as they sound amazing.

It was a 6-8 week wait when I ordered them so who knows?

― Frank Zappa

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #532 on: March 19, 2020, 09:25:27 AM »
TBT - My first Road King circa 1995(?)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #533 on: March 19, 2020, 03:31:21 PM »
****No scooter content****

A tank of gas a day will send the doldrums away!

I met up with @Vantcptr  for some Team Carolina BBQ today.  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hit up some local scenery and what a gorgeous day today! 77*F/25*C Mrs. V wanted some BBQ as soon as she heard we were headed there. So we swung by Casa de Redneck and I cracked the door and slid the BBQ in, didn't want to draw back a bloody stub.

We had to stop for this picture. How often do you see a giant cock hanging out of a hayloft?  (get your minds outta the gutter!) :naughty:

Vantcptr 's new ride.

This dudes looking a little cocky.  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:54:37 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2020, 04:15:13 PM »
Today has been a tough day...

I throw the Vespa 946 up on the lift to pull the rear wheel to have the new tire install. On this particular bike you have to remove the entire muffler all the way up to the head. So I tear into it...

It's great having an iPad or laptop in the garage with your service manual on it for reference.

Making some headway.

Here's a view you don't see everyday.

I pull the heat shield off to start to remove the muffler and I see this crack in the muffler. I wasn't sure if it is a flang or a crack. I fired the bike up and held my hand around it, sure enough exhaust leaking around it. I texted @villageidiot and we kicked it around. He's my 'go to' guy when I'm bamboozled.

I went ahead and removed the entire pipe. Yep...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:13:40 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2020, 04:26:45 PM »
So I go to AF1's parts schematics to see what I'm looking at. I spoke with Steve on the phone there and he stated he's never seen a crack there on the Primovera/Sprint/946 which all share the same powertrain. Steve asked me to send pics in an email which I did. Steve's reply: "Well, that certainly does appear to be cracked."

Some interesting photos of behind the scene pics of my 946.

In this pic the rear axle bolt has a stay crown on it that cotter pin locks it in place.

My service parts show up while I'm wrenching in the garage.

Here's a pic of the cupped tire vs. the new one.

Soooo... I continue to get the wheel off and take it down to my go to place for tire installation. I called first, no problem we can knock it out today. I'm thinking sweet! I get down there, sorry dude you have to drop it off and pick it up tomorrow. Yay... I live 45 minutes away in the sticks. Onward and upwards!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2020, 04:40:45 PM »
So I get back on the horn with Steve at AF1 (btw a super guy!!) We kick around my options, I discussed a hail Mary on a goodwill scenario with Piaggio. The only way is to take it to your dealer and they tear it down and make the submission to Piaggio for goodwill. And you pay for the diagnosis whether they cover it or not. In his well educated opinion I have zero chance of Piaggio cover this out of warranty.

If I order a new OEM, the entire pipe is $630 plus a few minor parts, exhaust gasket, etc. I can take this one to have it welded and hope that it stays. Put a Remus or Akrapovič installed for a small amount more.

I hung up with Steve and called Piaggio to discuss, they are teleworking from home and spoke with a nice young lady. Same dealeo, take it to a dealer, diagnose, have them submit a claim. So I tried from a different angle; Ma'am, If I reassemble the bike, take it to a dealer, they tear it down at my expense to submit the claim, what are my chances for any resolve with Piaggio? From where I'm sitting, I go through all that hassle only to be charged another couple hundred dollars to tell me what I already know. The issue escalates from $630 plus my free labor and ends at creeping towards a thousand dollars based on a hail Mary goodwill. What would you do? She said we build a quality product that we take pride in and I have seen some goodwill in extraordinary cases. So I roll the dice on a definite maybe. Yep, pretty much...

Here's a written reply from Steve at AF1.

So, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

(more to come)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:10:46 PM by Virginian »

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »
Thanks for asking dear, it was --- Oh hello Mr. Booth.   :eek:

You seem to really love this scoot, ride it twice as much as any cycle in your stable.
How much do you like to gamble?

:popcorn:

(IMHO - If you got the cash, Remus.)
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »
I don't know how much noise the Remus or Akro parts would add.    I'm not a fan of really loud exhausts on the street (I returned last Saturday from a week in Daytona and my hearing still hasn't recovered despite wearing earplugs most of the time).    I also think that scoot is too classy to sound like a WWII buzz bomb.

I assume there were no loose mounts or misaligned parts from the factory which created the stress and the break?

I have had success repairing 2 stroke and 4 stroke exhausts on motorcycles and racing karts, especially if it wasn't me who was doing the welding.  ???    Assuming it is not some exotic Italian material I would find a certified welder and get their opinion.  Unless they have concerns, have them put it back together.  If you are not overly concerned about OEM appearance they could even reinforce that section to mounting bracket.   It will be small dollars compared to OEM or an aftermarket piece.   Worst case, it cracks again in a year next to the new weld and maybe by that point there is a slightly used OEM part available for a lot less than $600 or you can decide on an aftermarket pipe.   

P.S.   I recognize that I keep bikes A LOT longer than you so my opinion may not even be applicable.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
Sam and Lee,

Thank you for your replies. I won't make a decision till I run the gambit with Piaggio, I'm in heavy discussions with them now. Regarding after market muffler, I'm not a fan. This scoot has a whopping 11.7 hp. What am I going to accomplish putting a fart muffler on it?  I prefer the OEM look on this particular scooter as it is an anomaly that they even made it.

Regarding flipping bike, yeah... I'm pretty bad about that. Regarding my 946, it will die with me, it's long term for me till I take my last breath. I love that puny scooter more than any bike I've owned in the last decade. It will be three years on the 946 next month. Time flies...

When Piaggio advocates or defecates, I'll move forward from there. I will most likely track down a new muffler and the best price and scoot on down the road. In my limited experience, welds crap out annually and i can expect to revisit the issue again later on down the road. Fix right the first time and move on. This I have learned many, many times over the years. When I write about whatever I'm working on I usually don't skimp and put the real deal on whatever I'm doing.

The bad news is it will take up to a month to order the muffler which I believe will be sourced out of Australia of all places.

And yes Lee, you opinion means a lot to me as you are one of the few who actually take the time to reply to my meanderings and make solid suggestions. Thank you for that.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:40:02 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #540 on: March 22, 2020, 04:40:34 PM »
Oddly enough, someone totaled the exact year of my 946 up in Canada and there's parts all listed on ebay, plus a muffler for $297.50 + $40.00 shipping. This muffler looks pretty beat up so I'll pass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-17-Vespa-946-Bellissima-Exhaust-Pipe-Muffler-Slip-On-Can-Silencer-1a0076655/324099239852?fits=Model%3A946%7CMake%3AVespa&hash=item4b75d1efac:g:fKEAAOSw3TNeZ~wz

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #541 on: March 23, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »
All,

- May 1st - 3rd Scooter Rally Cancelled
- June 19th - 21st TBD

I am cancelling the Spring Rally at our home for obvious reasons. I am close monitoring the current situation and see if it gets any better for this planned St.o June Rally in June. We we will see how this pans out later in the year and I may reschedule. I have strung this out far too long trying to be an eternal optimist. I wish you all safety in these troubled times. Thank you for your understanding.

V/r,

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »
I was thinking of making an offer of $100 plus $40 shipping to the seller. I'm sure it will be denied but you have to knock to see if somebody's home. The seller states that the wrecked scoot had 6731 Km/4,182 miles on that muffler.

The seller on fleabay got back to me with just a straight decline which means they were most likely insulted. So this option is a no go.

So I'm assembling Bella back together to get it off the rack with the new tire installed.

On the center cap there's 3 thick rubber O-rings that help secure the cap and one of them has split. I have a box of o-rings but none of them are that thick I temporarily placed one on in the meantime and placed another order of parts from AF1 of various tidbits.

I haven't heard a word from Piaggio so moving forward, I'll see if I can get this pipe welded. I called one local welder and texted him pictures. He wanted no parts of it as he taking the stance of defective metal.

Called the next welder and texted pics and I'll drop off the muffler in the morning. By hook or crook, I'll get Bella back in action here soon.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2020, 11:57:36 AM »
I'm sure folks are sick of my muffler drama! Get ready for the next episode of 946 Colon Cancer!

I shot a followup email to Piaggio and they got right back with. It appears that they're still in discussions and I may have screwed the pooch on getting the old one welded.  :eek: :facepalm: It must be pretty serious as we have a Italian gent looking into the matter. A Mr. Guillermo Aramayo.

Off to the local welder for a fix. This shop clearly works on heavy equipment!

I handed him the 'Il silenziatore scoreggia' (the fart muffler)

He chose to use a MIG not a TIG welder nor was I comfortable telling a man how to do his job regarding the above recommendations to use TIG.

He said he made 2 passes on it to reinforce it. His normal minimum is $80, he charged me $40.

I've had enough of the damn virus threads filled with doom and gloom so I'm doing what I do and writing about it hopefully to provide some content that is 2 wheeled related.

45*F here today and pouring rain so I'll have to wait to shoot it with some heat BBQ paint and final assembly.

Life is short enjoy the ride!

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
946 Colon Cancer - hopefully the final chapter!

So I reinstalled the muffler after I shot a couple of coats of heat BBQ paint which was giving me the devil getting it to line up properly. The heat shields cover the unsightly weld so good to go there!

Next up replace the sparkplug that probably doesn't need replaced.

Not too bad!

Adjust the sparkplug gap per the manual.

So I fired up the scoot to warm the oil up. Here's a short video of warming it up and checking for exhaust leaks.
https://vimeo.com/401152797

Time for the oil change, so I'm checking the service manual and it says remove the muffler first. Doh! :doh I felt there was enough room for me to still make it happen with the muffler in place and gave it a go. The screen filter oil cap must have been put on by a gorilla as I had to use a breaker bar to get it free. (throw in a few busted knuckles)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2020, 06:12:22 PM »
The screen filter came out nice and clean.

I took off the old oil filter and you can see where the tech that performed the last oil change appears to have just grabbed it with giant pliers and crewed it on... This is the reason I wrench on my own stuff...

The new filter has a bizarre over on it that must need a special tool? I got it on never the less.

Time to fill it up with new oil. On this scoot you fill it through the dipstick hole which is rather small. Check out this cool oil spout that came on the Motul oil.

Manual says 1340 cm3 of oil? Google and here's what I get. I converted cm3 to oz.

Tomorrow is the final drive oil and this one is dome if the weld holds.

Thanks for reading.

Eric