Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 25303 times)

OHScot and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
Re: Vespa 946 Meanderings
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind replies. I'm just sharing life, nothing very interesting here.

Might not be interesting, but looks like fun!
old enough to know better

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
Re: Vespa 946 Meanderings
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »

I bumped into this very short 48 second video on Vespa 946s being hand made.

Happy Easter folks!
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
Re: Virginian's Scooter Meanderings
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
I'm planning a scooter trip to Charleston, SC to see the Hunlee. Would anyone have any recommendations for decent scenic roads in this part of the country?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
PS: I asked DantesDame to move this thread to the ride reports. My threads seem to wander in so many different directions... That said, I changed the title to be non brand specific and I'll post all my travels on any scoot in this thread.

Many thanks to DantesDame for helping!

:bigok:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:45:03 PM by Virginian »

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
I read all of this (up to Floozies pies) when it was originally posted.    I just read it again now that it popped up in the ride reports and it was great the second time too.   Senility can have a few minor benefits.  :o   

Congrats and major accolades on the million miles.   That is quite an accomplishment and also a lot of opportunities to see great things without having to look through windows.   I haven't kept track of my mileage over the years but suspect I've ridden less than half of that.   And thanks for posting all of the pictures and commentary in your ride reports.   You have some great pictures and it is very interesting to read, plus it is an inspiration to get out and ride.    I suppose it should be an inspiration to do more cleaning, waxing, and detailing on my bikes too, however it hasn't quite triggered any action just yet.   Beautiful scoot.  Thanks again for taking the time to post all of this.   
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:29:32 PM by leeo45 »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 12:03:36 PM »
I read all of this (up to Floozies pies) when it was originally posted.    I just read it again now that it popped up in the ride reports and it was great the second time too.   Senility can have a few minor benefits.  :o   

Congrats and major accolades on the million miles.   That is quite an accomplishment and also a lot of opportunities to see great things without having to look through windows.   I haven't kept track of my mileage over the years but suspect I've ridden less than half of that.   And thanks for posting all of the pictures and commentary in your ride reports.   You have some great pictures and it is very interesting to read, plus it is an inspiration to get out and ride.    I suppose it should be an inspiration to do more cleaning, waxing, and detailing on my bikes too, however it hasn't quite triggered any action just yet.   Beautiful scoot.  Thanks again for taking the time to post all of this.

leeo45,

You know, it's very kind remarks like this that make it worth while to post.

Thank you,

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
I have lots of scooting plans this spring and summer and I'll try to keep this thread updated with my pointless pictures and posts. Here are a few highlights that I have on my agenda this year. Some of you may know that I love history so I tend to pick a historic site to visit and turn a ride into a learning experience. I'm a huge Civil War and WWII fan, throw in some plane and train museums and I'm happy as a clam at high tide! Here's a peek of things to come, hopefully...

- AmeriVespa, Vespa's granddaddy of them all events in Richmond (tons of pic from that event coming) https://www.amerivespa.net/ Done 06/18
- The Hunley, first submarine to sink a warship that forever changed naval history https://www.hunley.org/
- Gettysburg, needs no introduction, that forever cemented America's outcome of the Civil War https://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm Done 07/18
- Fredericksburg Battle Field, America's Battlefield https://www.nps.gov/frsp/index.htm - Done 04/18/18
- Anteitam National Battlefield - The Bloodiest Day in American History--Hope for Freedom https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm
- Harper's Ferry - A must see if you haven't visited before. https://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm]https://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm
- American Armoured Foundation, Inc. Tank Museum - A must see if you're a WWII buff https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
- The Virginia Museum of Transportation - They are supposed to have a decent train museum and I want to see and possibly ride the famous Virginia 611 http://www.vmt.org/collections/rail/steam-locomotives/steam-locomotive-norfolk-and-western-class-j-611/

- I'll be headed back to OBX come early September so look for the usual beach stuff there
- Late September I'm off to Hawaii (never been) and hope to rent a scooter and see some of the island that I'll be staying on

I'll share my thoughts on the Xmax vs. the 946 as we go along. If any of you good folks have any specific questions or pics you need, just ask away and I'll get you some answers. This thread is about life, nothing more, nothing less. I welcome any and all folks to chime in. I'm just a VA redneck trying to enjoy what's left of my life and wish to share my adventures with the m/c and scooter community. So post your thoughts, pictures, jokes and climb aboard.

Eric
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:35:48 AM by Virginian »

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »
South to SC from VA. Of course there's Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »
South to SC from VA. Of course there's Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I was chatting with Doug who gave me some suggestions. Here's my first cut at it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
I was out scooting today and took a few too many pics... If you don't like history, stop reading here! lol

As I'm breaking in the motor of the Xmax, I decided to take lonely country roads around my area and weave my way back to Fredericksburg.

Here's a few random shots.

Take a look at this very old tree, the trunk was darn near the width of the bike. If this tree could tell stories I bet it would have a few over the last 100 years...

Anyone remember Tyler Risk from st.n? Today is her birthday and we've been friends for a while. Anywho, she loves old barns so I posted this for her on FB.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:30:46 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
Next stop Fredericksburg Battlefield

https://www.nps.gov/frsp/index.htm

America's Battleground
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, and Spotsylvania--this is America's battleground, where the Civil War roared to its bloody climax. No place more vividly reflects the War's tragic cost in all its forms. A town bombarded and looted. Farms large and small ruined. Refugees by the thousands forced into the countryside. More than 85,000 men wounded; There are a total of 15,243 Civil War interments, of those, only 2,473 were identified. Really sad...

The military park encompasses four major Civil War battlefields: Battle of Fredericksburg, Battle of Chancellorsville, Battle of the Wilderness, and Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. It also preserves four historic buildings associated with them: Chatham Manor, Salem Church, Ellwood Manor, and the house where Stonewall Jackson died. The ruins of the Chancellor family mansion are included. There are two visitor centers staffed by Park Service rangers, one in Fredericksburg near the foot of Marye's Heights, and another at the Chancellorsville site. Exhibit shelters are staffed on a seasonal basis at Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House. Chatham Manor in Stafford County is open daily. All sites are free.

The park was established as Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park on February 14, 1927, and transferred from the War Department August 10, 1933. The lengthy name remains its official designation—75 letters, the longest name of any unit in the national park system. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966. The park includes 8374 acres (33.89 km2), of which 7369 acres (30 km2) are owned by the Federal government. Over 500,000 people visit the battlefield each year.

This is a time period home that the Nat'l Park Service has converted into the welcome center.

All of nature is just starting to blossom and bloom and makes for a great day to get out.

Some random shots that maybe are noteworthy.

This picture gives you an overview of each engagement.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
I'll let the quotes and pictures speak for themselves.

Different ordnance used. Only about 8% kill ratio using cannons during the civil war but the damage it did to the to morale and troops was immeasurable.

This was interesting because technology in firearms and cannons didn't have rifled barrels yet in the field. This cannon shot put the rifling on the actual shell., thus termed long range.

In this tube that went from floor to ceiling housed musket balls and rounds that were collected on the Fredericksburg battlefield.

The chaplain's uniform, a very rare artifact.

The telegraph that was used during this engagement. Fascinating!

I'll get back to scoot'n here in a few... please bare with me.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:51:46 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
The push of the Union army.

This statement may not be telling the whole truth. Looters were shot or hanged on sight by any acting commander on both sides, simply put it wasn't tolerated. President Abraham Lincoln was shot (by a southerner John Wilkes Booth) on April 15th, 1865 and killed just 5 days after General Lee surrendered and the civil war was over. Looting and burning of all the south happened in retaliation. So I'm really unclear as to why this happened to Fredericksburg as it was months before?

Here's a fascinating story about a flag.

This wall shows pictures of Fredericksburg's finest.

Each picture was on hinges and when you swung it open it told the tale of that individual.

On to the cemetery.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:55:06 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
This is the very stone wall that confederates fought behind and died by the thousands...

The Fifth Corps Army of the Potomac

The thousands of unmarked gravestones had two numbers on them, the first number was the lot that his/their bodies were found, the second number represents how many unknown soldiers were buried here.

Medal of Honer recipient.

The view from the cemetery overlooking Fredericksburg. You can just see my scoot...

In this private cemetery lies Presidents General George Washington's nephew.

The original gate to enter the private plot.

Several of the gravestones were destroyed by Union cannons.

Random shots...

The Willis building.

It seemed no matter where I was my shadow was in every picture. Apologies...

The iconic VA fences that could be taken up and moved so livestock wouldn't feed too much on the same location.

The park service offers free tours and the volunteers will walk groups around and go into great detail about events here. Our park service in the U.S. rocks and the unsung heroes of the volunteers should be recognized.

*** edited to add one more pic***
One last picture I neglected to share. Many of the gravestones had fresh flowers on them. Most have dried up and died but my take away from seeing this is the families losses are still felt to this day and relatives come visit on a regular bases which I think is amazing!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:59:38 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 05:28:54 PM »
I walked away from this battlefield with a heavy heart of all the loss of life here. So I motored down into the old town for a cup of coffee to gather my thoughts. 

Caramel latte thank you very much.

Thanks for reading,

Eric
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:04:17 PM by Virginian »

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
 :clap:

Thanks Eric.
History & Science were my favorites in school.

On a side note.
 At best, I've mixed emotions about monuments for the Confederacy.  (having to remove so many of them is another story we won't discuss here.)
After reading your post. I have feelings for both the North and South armies.  Americans fighting for their believes.  :bigok:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »

Thanks Eric.

On a side note.
 At best, I've mixed emotions about monuments for the Confederacy.  (having to remove so many of them is another story we won't discuss here.)
After reading your post. I have feelings for both the North and South armies.  Americans fighting for their believes.  :bigok:

Sam,

At the risk of upsetting good folks off on this topic, my feelings are as such. I'm neither ashamed nor proud of the south regarding the civil war. It was what it was and didn't happen on my watch. My family fought on both sides so to me it was a looser all the way around for everyone. These posts are not to glorify the civil war or the south, just reporting the news of a lot of history that surrounds my immediate area. When I visit these sights in VA you can feel the tone of the a sore looser (to me).

Look at it this way, if I lived in Rome and scooted around to all the Roman monuments, would I feel bad that Caesar controlled what? 2/3rds of the earth through pillage? Same could be said for the British empire and the vikings. Like it or not, mankind has done atrocious things globally since the age of time. A person doesn't have to agree with the driving force but to admire the technological, history and yes science that was happening during those conflicts.

That said, if this topic is annoying or upsetting anyone, I'll delete ASAP. I want no parts of it on any level and will investigate history privately. It's a tightrope I'm walking sharing this stuff and I hope it is presented in a respectful manner for all folks.

I am proud that I have lived in VA most of my life and will always be a Virginian.

Eric
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:34:56 AM by Virginian »

Online st2sam

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »

Thanks Eric.

On a side note.

That said, if this topic is annoying or upsetting anyone, I'll delete ASAP.

Eric

:eek:
Are you kidding me.
Do Not!

IMO, anyone who feels your post was annoying or upsetting better get a life.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2018, 08:47:26 AM »
Sooner or later I'll scoot my way down to Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown. Williamsburg, a city in the U.S. state of Virginia, was capital of the Virginia Colony from 1699 to 1780 and played a significant role in the American Revolution. It forms the “Historic Triangle” together with Jamestown and Yorktown. Its heart is Colonial Williamsburg, a historic district and living-history museum where actors in period costume depict daily Colonial life in the streets, stores and workshops. I've already covered Jamestown and hope to get to the 'hat trick" on this topic. How the U.S. got started and gained their freedom by throwing up the middle finger to the King of England is another epic journey. This will open the doors to me for places to go visit, meet good people and travel on two wheels to get there. Maybe it will entice others to come visit and start their own journey? I'm a self admitted history dork.   :bigok:

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »
On a practical level, thanks for a look at the Fredericksburg area. I had no idea about how extensive the NP is. It's now on my list of places to stop while on an extended trip.

On a philosophical level, "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
On a practical level, thanks for a look at the Fredericksburg area. I had no idea about how extensive the NP is. It's now on my list of places to stop while on an extended trip.

On a philosophical level, "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

Thanks for stopping by and posting! Now let's see some adventures of you on your new FJ!

I was out running errands today and made quite a few stops. First stop was Fredericksburg Motor Sports for some oil, filter and what not for the first service on the Xmax which is coming up quickly.
While I was at the parts counter they had this pic sitting on the counter. Yes, that's a patron of the place! Bwahahaha!  :crazy: :confused: :wow:

Stopped at a historic marker, nothing epic.

1 mile from the yammerhammer shop is George Washington's "childhood" home. Hmmm.. I've never stopped to look but the sun was shining and I was in no rush, why not.

So I scoot on in and I'm greeted by the welcome center. Ferry Farm George Washington Center. http://www.kenmore.org/ff_home.html

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »
So I went inside and was milling about to see if there was anything interesting. They had very little to showcase in the welcome center as far as artifacts. That said, here's what they did have...

Soooo... I promply signed the register and rolled out to see the grounds and GW's "home"!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
A beautiful manicured estate.

I walked along the pathe to get to the main attraction, GW's boyhood home! Signage to get you pumped about being there. There's some nuggets of info here that might be noteworthy.

As I approach the "home" I'm greeted by this curator.
- Him: "May I see your badge?"
- Me: Um, I waited a half hour for the lady at the desk but she seemed over G'd so I just walked back here.
- Him: So I'm going to have to ask you to leave the premises and take no more pictures until you get a pass. 
- Me: Ummm...okay, can I ask one question? Is that GW's boyhood home pointing behind him.
- Him: There is no record what his house looked like and this home is a typical representation of what a home looked like back from that era.
- Me: So all the banners and what not are conjecture as well?
- Him: Yes
- Me: Have a good day sir.

So I snapped one pic of the alleged home and bounced. Honestly, I felt like going back to the welcome center and changing what I wrote in the visitor log...

My advice is take a pass  on seeing this sight.  :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:37:23 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2018, 04:51:26 PM »
So I stopped by the Indian of Fredericksburg on the way home. They are offering demo day on April 24th & 25th. Stop by and have a go on one of their finest.

Some nice look'n used bikes as well.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:58:18 AM by Virginian »

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
You probably hit the resident self-impressed fool. NTL, I would have updated the book - "being ejected after staff too busy to sell a pass here. Compliments withdrawn." Of all the NP's and SP's I've visited, nobody has been nasty. Some have been "no slack", but not like that. Needless to say, at least one reader will be voting with his feet...

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
You probably hit the resident self-impressed fool. NTL, I would have updated the book - "being ejected after staff too busy to sell a pass here. Compliments withdrawn." Of all the NP's and SP's I've visited, nobody has been nasty. Some have been "no slack", but not like that. Needless to say, at least one reader will be voting with his feet...

I should also mention that it's free admission. I've been thrown out of a lot of places in my life but this was a first, a Nat'l Park!  :gerg:

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
I took a few moments to share my thoughts with a member on ADV on a comparison between my two scoots that he asked. I thought it was noteworthy enough that I would post it here.

By the way, there's one of st.o's own lurking in battle scooters on ADV checking out scooter threads. He shall remain nameless but we have a closet scooterist in the closet.

Quote from: Jim T, post: 34788697, member: 7108
My vote is definitely to amend your 946 thread to include the Xmax. I'll be interested to hear how the Xmax compares to your 946 and how you'll use it vs the 946.

Jim

Jim,

I didn't reply to you remark in the Xmax thread as I needed to put some thought into it. I'm abut 400 or 500 miles into the Xmax and have a somewhat better feel for this scoot and I'll share my thoughts on the it vs. the 946 which are polar opposites of each other in the scooting world.

I view the world through a different lens than most so please take my remarks lightly.

Let's start with the ups and downs of both.

Vespa 946 <---- see what I did there, text is the same color as my scoot ;)
+ Single cylinder 4 stroke, air cooled, SOHC - 3 valve
+ Style, just a beautiful scoot (subjective)
+ Air cooled, may be a benefit to some folks for simplicity
+ Fit and finish is amazing
+ Reliability? I put mine through the wringer and she stood tall, many others swear by them on this front, time will tell
+ Seat on the 946 is awesome
+ Handling and suspension is right decent
+ ABS & traction control
+ LED lights except DOT winkers (modified by me)
+ up to 100 mpg (U.S. gallon)
+ Brakes are incredible
+ 2 year factory warranty
- Dealer network is very lack luster
- Mine is slooooow but when it gets there it holds like a freight train
- Cost of parts
- Air cooled, may be a negative to other folks
- Service intervals are sooner
- Not much real estate for a passenger
- Minimal gauges
- Price
- Fuel filler is a major PITA, sprays gas when topping off 100% of the time
- Have to pop the seat to fill with fuel

Yamaha Xmax
+ 292cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, SOHC single cylinder; 4 valves
+ HUGE storage at 45L
+ Yamaha reliability
+ Room for a tall person
+ ABS & traction control
+ Fit and finish decent
+ Seat is actually not bad, no hump-ectomy necessary
+ LED lights except DOT winkers (will be modified by me)
+ 70 to 80 mpg (U.S. gallon)
+ Excellent real estate for a passenger
+ Gauges are a stand out feature
+ Adjustable windshield and handlebars
+ Very good stock OEM winshield
+ Top speed around 100, cruising at 75 to 85 mph is effortless
+ The perfect size for a maxi scoot (to me)
+ Brakes are incredible
- Looks like every other Japanese scoot
- 1 year factory warranty
- Typical tabs everywhere that are easy to snap when removing bodywork

So there's a few of my thoughts regarding real world experience on these two scoots. Now which one would I choose to keep if I could only have one? The 946 hands down despite my lengthy list of negatives listed above.

The Xmax does it all flawlessly. I do mean all, 2 up, utilitarian, storage, rack & topbox if you wish, etc. The 946 does it with grace and style to me. Wherever I go, people young and old walk up to me and just want to chat about the Vespa. The smile I have on my face every time I ride it is hard to explain.

The 946 and I have been on a huge adventure starting the day I bought her. Honestly, in all my riding decades I have never been hit with so much bad weather literally for days. She marched through it 12 to 14 hours a day and kept me safe. So to be fair, I have a bond with this scoot that no other scooter can dethrone.

In closing I suggested that I view the world through a different lens then most at the beginning of this post. Theretically let's say I had my choice of a 2018 BMW R1200RT with all the goodies or a 2018 Yamaha TW200 or Suzuki VanVan and a little money to prep it to take a trip from VA to AK. I would take the TW200 all day long! To me the adventure starts by just having just enough to get the job done, not 10 times the amount of what it takes to get there. I would have more fun setting up a TW with nav, making racks and attaching hard bags, where to store the gas can, etc. etc. I promise you I would have an epic journey to share on my ride report/day tripp'n.

When I'm on my last legs laying there in bed and my life is coming to an end, I will not be reminiscing the many times I've ridden across country on 1,000+cc m/c. I will be laying there remembering the epic journey on my 946 or if I chose the TW like mentioned above.

So I am most definitely the wrong person to ask advice or opinions on pretty much anything. I always seem to take the hard road and take a beating along the way. My father used to say, "the definition of an adventure is a disaster that worked out."

Pops and I after we dared each other to go to Seattle for a cup of coffee. Stopped at Luguna Seca to see my favorite racer John Kocinski, bought my first ever pair of riding boots there, had nothing but  a backpack with a couple changes of clothes, none of my gear was waterproof back then, performance awards for both of us in Carmel, what a freak'n adventure that was...

Thanks for reading,

Eric
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:21:54 PM by Virginian »

Offline oilhed

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2018, 06:56:53 PM »
By the way, there's one of st.o's own lurking in battle scooters on ADV checking out scooter threads. He shall remain nameless but we have a closet scooterist in the closet.

Who?!!!

MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2018, 06:59:11 PM »

Who?!!!

Ah hah! There he is!  :wings:

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2018, 08:27:16 PM »

I should also mention that it's free admission. I've been thrown out of a lot of places in my life but this was a first, a Nat'l Park!  :gerg:
Oh, fer cryin' out loud. That's past imagining...  :nuts:

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2018, 06:52:16 AM »

Who?!!!

Holy crap! Its already leaking oil.  In three spots!!!     ;D :bigok:

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A,Burgman Executive, Majesty, Morphous
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »
I spotted Oilhed there also, but was too polite to mention it. Could be considering an XMax?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:32:38 PM by minimac »
old enough to know better

Offline oilhed

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
I’d love another scoot. But while that Xmax looks great today I’m drooling over the Honda X-ADV or maybe the BMW C400X.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2018, 02:14:06 AM »
That said, if this topic is annoying or upsetting anyone, I'll delete ASAP. I want no parts of it on any level and will investigate history privately. It's a tightrope I'm walking sharing this stuff and I hope it is presented in a respectful manner for all folks.

I am proud that I have lived in VA most of my life and will always be a Virginian.

Eric

Don't change a thing. You're out and about on two wheels and posting your experiences. I think that's what this place is all about.

When I drove a truck for a living I hit every state in the lower 48 except for Vermont and I took every rare opportunity to visit the local history, and does it have some history that bears some thought and contemplation. You're doing it via scooter and sharing it here.

Thank you.

BTW,  I'm happy to be a Cali/Nevada guy. I don't think I could live anywhere else.  8)
Torque is cheap.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »

Don't change a thing. You're out and about on two wheels and posting your experiences. I think that's what this place is all about.

When I drove a truck for a living I hit every state in the lower 48 except for Vermont and I took every rare opportunity to visit the local history, and does it have some history that bears some thought and contemplation. You're doing it via scooter and sharing it here.

Thank you.

BTW,  I'm happy to be a Cali/Nevada guy. I don't think I could live anywhere else.  8)
[/quote]

Thank you!

Soo... I'm scoot'n today and happen upon this baby box turtle. Shuffled him off into the woods.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
I scooted up to see my family today and as luck would have it my nephew-in-law and my BIL so we went for a nice country road ride along the Shenandoah River. Talk about 3 amigos, we have Harley dude, Ducati dude and scooter boi. lol

Stopped off to see my great niece Ava play her first soccer game.

Settled in for a nice lunch. Life was most excellent today.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2018, 06:47:05 PM »
I scooted down to Wegmans, the best grocery store evar!

Nobody does holidays like Wegmans, check out the entryway for Mother's Day.

Picked up some clams and some Alaskan King crab legs for Mother's Day supper along with some roses. Don't forget your misses this Mother's Day even if you have no kids. She takes care of you and your pets with the same love.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:09:00 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »
Out scooting today running some errands!

I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day holiday this weekend!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2018, 06:24:26 PM »
AmeriaVespa starts this Wednesday and I'll be meeting up with two friends at the cabin and then headed to Richmond. We'll see how the roads are getting there as it's been a little crazy weather wise.

I'll do my best to get lots of pictures for folks and try to get them posted by the end of each day. Tomorrow I'll detail the 946 and get packed for the trip. I'm not sure if I'll post a Glympse, not exactly an epic trip. lol

More to come in 48 hours!

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2018, 07:18:08 PM »
Just got checked in at the Graduate Hotel in Richmond!

First my friends riding down with me met up at Casa De Redneck. Alex who bought my old BV350 and Ahmed is visiting from Egypt to attend the event. Ahmad offers scooters tours across Egypt.

The other guy in this pic is Alex as well, he own's a 946 in white with the red leather and a member on MV. ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:42:55 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2018, 07:30:39 PM »

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »
Great pictures and interesting scoots.

First my friends riding down with me met up at Casa De Redneck. Alex who bought my old BV350 and Ahmed is visiting from Egypt to attend the event. Amed offers scooters tours across Egypt.

Is this the same Ahmed who founded the CEC (Cross Egypt Challenge)?    If so, cool guy and great that he is able to visit and ride in the U.S.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2018, 04:01:13 PM »
Great pictures and interesting scoots.

First my friends riding down with me met up at Casa De Redneck. Alex who bought my old BV350 and Ahmed is visiting from Egypt to attend the event. Amed offers scooters tours across Egypt.

Is this the same Ahmed who founded the CEC (Cross Egypt Challenge)?    If so, cool guy and great that he is able to visit and ride in the U.S.

Leo,

Correct, that is him.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2018, 04:06:34 PM »
Scooteristas!
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
We hit up a pool hall that was the chosen hangout this evening and was in walking distance so we could partake. :) Scooters covered the front and side.

I chatted with gal that had a two tone red/whiTe Vespa that was stunning. She was super proud of it and she should be.

The scene!

Bulleit on the rocks for me!

First person I recognize is GoPam who just completed her first Cannonball. It was great hearing about her adventures on the journey.

GoPam orders a drink and they randomly hand you a coaster. Amazing what hers said on the title!

The front is a partial pic of the art a local did and is hanging in the bar.

So off we went to find this piece of art. Bam!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
How about an Allstate.

I'm sorry I didn't catch this young couples names but they were having a great time.

We didn't get to eat so we stopped at an all night diner and found this place where I ordered a pattymelt.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 04:24:18 PM »
A couple of random pics and I'll be darned if I forgot these fine folks names. Apologies.

Alex and Ahmad on the right, Brook and his lovely wife on the left.

The room keys have famous peeps on them that I think have stayed in the old Graduate Hotel.

This concludes day 1!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:54:08 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
Scooteristas!

Yep! Sitting in the bar in the hotel updating this thread

Online st2sam

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »
Eric your killing me!

I'm actually thinking of buying a scooter! 
But don't worry, if I do, it'll be a BIG one. :headscratch:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to enjoy the smaller scooters?

Anywho, thanks for sharing your adventure, can't wait for "the rest of the story".  :thumbsup:

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
So I opted for the long ride of the available rides today and motored out to Monticello. Home of our 3rd U.S. president and author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson.
https://home.monticello.org/

First a few pics from the garage as there always seems to be a new batch when I happen by.

A pic of us ready to roll on the ride today.

We scooted along country roads for 70 to 80 miles and when we arrived at Monticello we stopped for gas. Everyone was in festive spirits!

Bagel tried out the 946.  ;) He rode his Vespa 4,600 to get here from CA.

We stopped for lunch and had some awesome southern fried chicken.

This fine gent from NC had the big screen of navs! Wow!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:55:44 PM by Virginian »