Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 34790 times)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
Re: Virginian's Meanderings
« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2019, 06:14:57 PM »
I have loads more to share so I'll update this some more tomorrow.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »
Wowzer.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #352 on: September 02, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
Wowzer.

Wowzer is right.

Eric, I will say this.
 "Talk about a round about way to get that gray Vespa you wanted!"   :lol:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '18 Honda CRF250L Rally, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide, '20 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
« Reply #353 on: September 03, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »
I didn't make it out of the dealership 1 lousy mile before I got rained on. Gah!

I was in a hurry to get home to try and ride with Wolfeboats on the Blue Ridge Parkway but today wasn't happening so we exchanged texts and we are staying Waynesboro, VA and will hit up the BRP tomorrow.

All set up at the hotel. Hmmmm.... seems legit, the blue and the gray meet in Virginia?!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

An Outback a stones throw away we had a great meal and enjoyed swapping war stories. I have a new friend in life. :) Wolfeboats bought my supper tonight becuase I help Doug get his new scoot. Wow, what a nice gesture.

(More to come tomorrow)

Enjoy the ride, life is short.

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #354 on: September 03, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
I got home very late last night and hydrated and went to bed. Riding for hours in 100* F heat zaps my energy and I wilted right after a shower.

We were up at 7 and met for coffee and breakfast at 8 am. This pic is wolfe and me figuring out the route for today's ride. Temperature was rising quickly by this time in the morning so we gassed up and headed to higher elevations to beat the undeniable heat that was looming.

First stop.

Love this picture!

Wolfe beaming with pride and joy!

There's a hiking trail at many of these lookout stops as well. I hiked my happy buns over to the scooter and hit the parkway!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #355 on: September 03, 2019, 08:03:48 PM »
Now I will premise this with say I/we didn't take too may lookout pics as they tend to all look the same after while. I hope you don't mind?

Wolfeboats getting a nice backdrop for his scoot for a pic opportunity.

Another stop...

The weather as we climbed higher and higher elevations felt like air conditioning! It really was quite nice out riding in the heat today.

A few feeble attempts at some kind of artistic photos...

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #356 on: September 03, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
Now some of you may remember me talking about the James River that spits out down at Jamestown? Here's the mighty James river passing through the Blue Ridge Mountains.

So this very spot was a choke point and Gen. George Washington knew it to protect Richmond and transport much needed resources.

And the aqueduct lock as seen today.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #357 on: September 03, 2019, 08:11:12 PM »
We stopped for lunch at Peaks Otter Lodge, if you are traveling the BRP this a great place to grab a room with a view to die for and the restaurant was amazing too. Read about it here.
https://www.peaksofotter.com/

Our view during lunch! Not too shabby for a couple of meandering scootistas!

The food was fresh cooked and fairly priced for what you got.

Wolfe's seafood sammich.

Some of the trees around here have to be hundreds of years old. For all we know old George Washington himself could of took shade under this tree?

Parked with all the other riffraff that was out today!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:37:52 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2019, 08:14:26 PM »
The treasure find on the day, the very last unicorn in the U.S.; a gas station with 3 hoses so I don't get ripped off on pumping premium AND!!! it was ethanol free. lol

Last stop of the day at the ranger station before I had to peel off and start the 100 degree death march home.

In closing I would like to say that I have a new friend through this forum and by reaching out to yet another member has made a quality impact on my life and another soul meandering out on the open road. Don't talk about, do it folks! I promise you will reap huge rewards.

A few texts from Wolfeboats when I got home last night. Our memorable awesome sauce waitress at Outback.

And a heartfelt note from Wolfeboats, thank you my friend! Until next time..

Thanks for reading my meanderings and remember, life is short, enjoy the ride!

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #359 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
One last terrible pic of me that Wolfeboater took and shared with me.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #360 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »
When I get time and a few more hours/miles under my belt I'll share some thoughts about this particular variant that Vespa is offering, specifically focusing on the SuperTech and if it's worth the extra Lira. I'll be needing a first service soon.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #361 on: October 04, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
TBT - Throw Back Thursday
The scooter that started it all, Briggs & Stratton, no brakes!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #362 on: October 04, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
Into everyone's day a little rain must fall...

I have a upper respiratory infection, bronchitis  so off to the doc's and then to the Pharmacy to pick up meds (thus the Bruce'd in scooter tag) and when I left the Pharmacy  someone had knocked over my GTS. Yay... Picked it up, went in the CVS and spoke to the manager to view the surveillance tapes and no joy there.

Mirror

Brake lever

Center stand

LH lower right platic panel

Edge molding and under belly a little

Front fender

I called Scooter West and I spoke with their parts person (who shall remain anonymous) and I didn't even get to finish my ask before he interrupts me saying 1. too new i can't get parts 2. All I have is brake lever and a bar end 3. may take up to 3 or 4 months. 4. I will have to call and find out 5. I don't have any pricing. So I waited for him to spew his spiel, then said I have heard 5 reasons NOT to order from Scooter West and I have yet to have 1 reason to do business with you. I have an issue that needs resolved and whether it takes 3 days or 3 months has no bearing on the resolution, I need answers not claimed information that is 100% speculation. Do your damn homework and call me back. Man I was hot! He emailed me this late last evening here's some of the parts that I need. Looks like a $450 tip over. Ouch!   :hs1: There goes my painted topbox I wanted...  :head:

I'm so annoyed by this persons attitude and treatment that I called AF1 where I purchased my 946 from and waiting for them to get back with me.

So I'll order a few pieces at a time and get her 100% over winter and yes, this is a sad day but it will not tarnish my riding experience and enjoyment of owning this fine scoot. As my pops used to say when things get rough; "more Christians and bigger lions, bring them on!"  lol

Snip: Here's the story behind that saying..., no I'm not very religious, just always remembered the quote
As you probably know, in the early days of Christianity the NFL and hockey hadn’t been invented yet, so to satisfy the public’s lust for violence, Christians were thrown into the Roman coliseum to be eaten alive in front of sold out crowds. Why? Well, not because they were violent, mean criminals who deserved death. Many historians believe that the biggest reason behind this unthinkable brutality was the nature of their message. Christians dared to carry on the same message that got Jesus killed:
Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

Online Virginian

• Contributor

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #364 on: October 04, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »
Supertech
Is it worth it?

So you're thinking about getting a new '20 Vespa HPE, there's only 8 different trim levels (I think) to choose from. Is that too many for essentially the same scooter? You have the GTS, GTS Super, GTS Touring, GTS Yatch Club, Sei Giorni,  and GTS 300 Notte (murdered out, last years drive train so no HPE) finally the GTS Supertech! There is zero difference in the riding and handling of all of the models, the spring rate is the same for all of them and only the spring color is changed from model to model. The pricing ranges from $7,149 for the base model and in my case the Supertech sells for a whopping $7,749.

So what I'm attempting to answer here is the Supertech worth the extra $600? I won't answer that question for you but provide real world use and my synopsis of it. Hopefully my testimony will answer the question for you.

For your $600 you get what I call the farts & darts package, which I happen to love! Blacked out wheels, murdered out with a T-tech sticker, yellow tinted badges, yellow stitching on the two tone vinyl seat, blacked out horn chevrons, yellow front spring and the Vespa Mia. (more on that later) Oh, and you get only one choice on color Grigio Materia translated means Gray Matter. So Internally I'm going to take a guess and say the farts & darts package adds maybe $100 or 200 to the price of admission. That leaves roughly $400 to $500 for the Vespa Mia.

What Vespa says:

SUPER-CONNECTED WITH VESPA MIA

Riding is safer and more practical then ever with the new Vespa Mia connectivity system on board the Vespa GTS [bgcolor=#FFF500]SuperTech[/bgcolor]. Using Bluetooth to connect your Smartphone to the bike’s electronic system, it allows you to handle calls and messages, choose your music and access data about the bike, performance parameters and trip statistics, with ease.

(more to come)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #365 on: October 04, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
The Mia or the heart of the Supertech is all housed in your TFT (A thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display) screen connected via Bluetooth to your smartphone, basically a cool color screen. Much like the Kymco Noodoe.

When you first turn on the scoot you are treated with an animated Vespa flash screen. Note: the usable screen is only a portion of the entire dash, the rest of the dash houses the idiot lights.

You can set your display to day or night settings or have it on automatic which the dash has a photostatic eye to switch to different modes for less glare.

Your setting you can change the language, configure miles or kilometers, back-light, and graphics.

Here's an example of the "graphics", ooo ahhhh! lol What I call the swimming pool at the bottom. I prefer the tasteful small Vespa logo.

The info also provides you miles, trips meter, mpg, miles to empty, and a couple other features.

Let's get to the heart of it! The menu is operated via a joystick located by the horn button, Up, down, right and left with the "push in" to select, much like a mouse button.

I pair my phone with my Sena S20 so I (hopefully) have audio for music, nav and warnings.

Let's talk about the navigation for a minute. Vespa uses their own mapping app that is not based on Google Maps, Waze, or others so it's a stand alone mapping app.

You have the option to filter your route a bit which it works very well!

On my trip to Antietam yesterday I rode through an area that had a speed camera set up, I got an audible tone warning me and a warning on the dash and yes, it was spot on. I think [USER=305942]@CashCow[/USER] recently got nabbed in MD by one of these...

Note the speed warning icon just to the right of the gas pump. That's telling you the posted speed limit at that piece of road you're riding and flashes if you exceed it. Well... the speedo is generous by 3 to 5 mph so I'm always going over the speed limit to accommodate and the flashing is a bit annoying...

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #366 on: October 04, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »
The bad news is I get no audio in my Sena for nav, just tones for warnings. For reference I'm using a Samsung Note 9 Galaxy and this may work for iOS? I am getting audio for music, podcasts, phone calls, audio beeps when I get SMS texts etc. The joystick does allow me to skip from song to song, the up/down should adjust the volume but this feature does not pair up with my phone and Sena. No biggie, I have the rotary dial on my Sena.

The Vespa mapping app DOES tax your battery on your phone so you will need to keep your phone plugged in to a USB charging port at all times. There's a USB port in the pet carrier on all GTS's. I experienced about 40% loss in battery usage on my phone in 1.45 hrs. of use not on a charger. The bad news is the pet carrier gets HOT as it's tucked behind the radiator and its plumbing. ON 100*F+ days I would pull my phone out to take pic and was unable to do so because the phone was overheated and went into self protection mode. On normal riding temps it has been fine.

How accurate is the nav? Well... this is a two part answer. In one sense if I have say a 70 mile destination set, as it ticks down it lops off 10 mile increments, so not very accurate. But, when you drop below 10 miles to your destination it becomes spot on and counts down the tenths of a mile and even yards when you get real close. Here's an example.

The Vespa app has some detailed information that it keeps track of shown here.

Turn off your scooter and Poof! It's gone.  :headscratch: Bizarre to me...

However it does retain an ongoing record or your travels, even when you refuel.

This is getting WAY too long winded. So let's get to my summary. Would I get the Supertech Mia for the $400 to $500 bump in price, the short answer is yes. I'm the worlds worst at getting lost so nav is imperative for me, I have been a user of the Garmin 550 for 10 years and within the last 2 years upgraded to the TomTom Rider 400. More money than the Supertech nav plus Ram mounts, running wires to charge it that when get moisture inevitably short out the power and my nav craps out. Happened many times on Michael's delivery. I have had a cradle release snap off and was unable to remove the nav on a much longer trip. Another $150 to replace that.

To have it all wired into the bike (with no maps mind you) and not have to worry about removing the nav off the bike when i'm traveling long distance to make a pit stop is huge for my needs. Now when Wolfeboats and I were in the Blue Ridge Mountains I lost cell signal and poof! my nav was on hold. There's your argument for a GPS based nav. That said the cell phone maps/navs are much more intuitive and easier to program routes and change on the fly.

So pick you poison folks! I'm hopeful that Piaggio/Vespa first attempt at this arena on nav is cutting its teeth on this scoot and I look forward to firmware updates and updates on the nav application.

I hope my thoughts help out a future 2020 Vespa buyer. Apologies for the long winded read if you even labored through that mess.

I'm at 800 miles on my scoot and the first service is tomorrow.

Peace!

Eric

(more to come)

Let's get back to meandering, shall we?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:51:46 PM by Virginian »

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #367 on: October 05, 2019, 07:25:59 AM »
Eric, sorry to hear you're under the weather a little. Real sorry to hear about the tipover!  >:( But I'm glad to see you not letting it get you down, to the point of even enjoying a ride in the rain. I always enjoy reading your in depth reviews of the bikes/scooters/etc you ride. That Vespa sounds like a pretty sweet scoot.  8)

Online vfrmike

• Motorcycles: 14 Gen 8 VFR, 01 xr400r, 81 SR500, 65 CT200
« Reply #368 on: October 05, 2019, 07:55:12 AM »
Eric hope you heal up quickly.  The tip over sucks, but the parts seem reasonable enough especially for an Italian--definitely not DUfuckingCATI prices.  Ride on with the battle scars they'll heal up soon.  Take care.

Online st2sam

« Reply #369 on: October 05, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
Eric, sorry to hear you're under the weather a little. Real sorry to hear about the tipover!  >:( But I'm glad to see you not letting it get you down, to the point of even enjoying a ride in the rain. I always enjoy reading your in depth reviews of the bikes/scooters/etc you ride. That Vespa sounds like a pretty sweet scoot.  8)

This ^  :clap: ...

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #370 on: October 05, 2019, 04:09:19 PM »
Sam had me worried for a minute, I thought you were hurt on the tip-over. 

Heal up fast; both of you.

The integrated GPS looks like a great feature.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online st2sam

« Reply #371 on: October 06, 2019, 12:29:35 AM »

:snork:

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #372 on: October 07, 2019, 07:41:43 PM »
At the shop now to get a written estimate for the damage to see if I want to process an insurance claim  And as luck would have it, there's a firmware update for the Supertech.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #373 on: October 07, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »
An interesting discussion with Allstate, my m/c insurance company. It appears I'm a "Gold" status meaning I haven't had any claims or infractions in ages.

Gold
Your Gold Protection package contains the following features:

Accident Waiver Enhancement feature
Safe Driving Deductible Reward feature
So that means my $250 deductible is reduced one time to $50 and I won't get dinged for a claim on my premiums. The risk here is if have an accident after this claim then my premiums will go up for the next 3 years. Now my total premiums per year is $335 full coverage for the HD and two Vespas. No big deal if that did happen in my opinion. FWIW, the 2020 Vespa 300 GTS costs me $116.84 to insure annually as a point of reference for folks.

So I'm going to file a claim and straighten the GTS out 100%, do the labor myself and pocket half the tab claimed (I need to call Allstate and make sure they're cool with that). I will most likely come out on top roughly $700 to the good, it is bizarre how the insurance game is played to me. I'm a bit OCD about keeping my bikes in tip top shape so I have to do what I have to do.

Regarding the first service, there were no notable issues and the GTS is performing magnificently during break in and I'm good to go. The firmware update was performed yesterday when I got the estimate of repairs for the damage. This particular shop dabbles in Vespa and it's not their bread & butter so they fumbled getting that updated for hours... (never done one before lol)

I will post up my repairs after I get the parts and shake down Allstate on the monies.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #374 on: October 07, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
I'm 1,000 miles/1,600 kilometers into my GTS journey and here are a few stats as she's breaking in. Here's a few of my thoughts on the new HPE Vespas. Honestly, she's smooth as silk, better than any scooter I've ridden. Piaggio really hit a home run on the refinement of this bike. I had never ever ridden a 300 Vespa before I took delivery of this one and to date it has been a very positive experience. It's right quick off the line and handles beautifully with zero oil consumption and ease of start when cold and the fuel injection and mapping has been spot on in my opinion during the first 1,000 miles.

My expectations were a bit low for power with regards to the 278cc engine. In the back of my puny mind I was mentally prepared for a riding experience much a kin to say the Honda Forza. Not so, it has exceeded my expectations on power band, smooth delivery of that power and I was shocked how well the suspension works on this bike.

The time came for Vespa to upgrade to Euro 4 emission standards, Vespa also polished the 278cc engine of the GTS 300 to improve its power and torque to the highest level ever installed on a Vespa. The GTS 300 powerplant has undergone a very substantial redesigning, to the point that it has been renamed 300 HPE (High Performance Engine).

The 300 HPE unit delivers a claimed 23.8 hp at 8,250 rpm while peak torque is increased by 18 percent, to 19.2 pound-feet at 5,250 rpm. Peak power and peak torque are separated by a range of 3,000 rpm, a remarkable and strong confirmation of the high efficiency of the new 300 HPE unit. To get the best out of HPE, the CVT transmission has been refined in its centrifugally actuated automatic clutch and the dimensioning of the belt and related expansible pulleys. I think the real story here is the torque delivery and not the horsepower increase .

One parting crappy pic as I ventured out for Chinese last evening.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #375 on: October 07, 2019, 07:58:57 PM »
Schwinn Charger

Ape hangers, metal-flake banana seat, raked front end, I thought I was Evil Knievel back in those days!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2019, 08:04:48 PM »
Antietam National Battlefield

The Bloodiest Day in American History--Hope for Freedom

****History Alert - scroll ahead if you have no interest****

I usually post a boat load of pics with a few thoughts and then share a paragraph or two at the end of this ride report. I rode up to Front Royal to ride with Philbilly my BIL who is my riding partner to check out Antietam. To put that into perspective, Antietam is only 55 - 60 miles away. I'm experimenting with Vespa mapping app and see how well it does so I can do a proper report on the "Supertech" at a later date.

You can read about Antietam Here. https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm

The entryway

Tandem ammo wagons that were used that were horse drawn

Artillery

Rifles barrels

The park service volunteers were giving cannon and rifle demonstrations
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:19:06 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
The battle was over with the Union sitting on three sides, waiting for the next day. During the night of the 18th, General Lee pulled his troops back across the Potomac River, leaving the battle and the town to General McClellan. It was the bloodiest day in United States history, with a combined tally of 22,717 dead, wounded, or missing.

The welcome center and museum.

There are so many monuments from every state that was here, a person could spend day finding them all as they're spread throughout the National Park, so I'll only post a few examples.

New York

The battlefield

Thoughts of a few important people... worthy of zooming in and reading.

Online Virginian

• Contributor

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #379 on: October 07, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »

Thank you Bryan, you are very kind to share your thoughts.

Eric hope you heal up quickly.  The tip over sucks, but the parts seem reasonable enough especially for an Italian--definitely not DUfuckingCATI prices.  Ride on with the battle scars they'll heal up soon.  Take care.

Mike, thank you my friend. I hope you are on the mend as well and back on your red rocket!

This ^  :clap: ...

As always, thank you Sam.

The integrated GPS looks like a great feature.

Thank you sir!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #380 on: October 08, 2019, 07:10:44 AM »
Schwinn Charger

Ape hangers, metal-flake banana seat, raked front end, I thought I was Evil Knievel back in those days!

Dude...I had that bike in gold, I had that exact shirt and I had the same hair. Kim thought my sister sent me that pic...of me.  I recall vividly removing the training wheels when I was like three or something, riding down the street, crossing an alley, popping back up on a curbed sidewalk and smacking into the side of a white van.  I also recall lining up several friends on the sidewalk and jumping them just like evil Knievel using a few red bricks and an unknown piece of lumber. Best friend in the last position of course.  Wow. Where it all began.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2019, 03:36:55 PM »
These danged Vespa pictures are making me itchy about getting a new scooter... >:(

8)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #382 on: October 15, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
Some more meanderings...

Today's is wash and detail all the bikes day.

Pro Tip: Use your leaf blower after washing your scoot and you can blow off 95% of the water without ever touching the bike.

Also when waxing a Vespa just pull up the floorboard strips to avoid getting wax on the rubber.

Online Virginian

• Contributor

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #384 on: October 15, 2019, 01:04:35 PM »
Brake lever replaced, waiting on a batch of other parts to come in.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #385 on: October 15, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »
Cooter's Place
Yes, you read that right~

After all the civil war posts I decided to lighten the mood a bit, destination Cooter's Place! Now Cooter (Ben Lewis Jones) was the mechanic that kept Bo and Luke Duke's Charger on the road outrunning the the sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane and Boss Hogg.

Here's the planned route today.

You pass through Sperryville which is a very small quaint town.

It spits you out at the mouth of the Shenandoah National Park. This area is kind of our "Rock Shop" so you're likely to see all walks of life on two wheels in these parts.

Folks, rt 211 is not to be missed if you're in this neck of the woods. Amazing!

Not long after you crest the mountains you pop out in Luray. Be sure to Check out Luray Caverns if you visit, a must see!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #386 on: October 15, 2019, 01:13:59 PM »
Now a little backstory on Cooter, actor Ben Jones. What most folks don't know about Ben ( a local Virginian) was his political career. Here's a snip...

Following the end of The Dukes of Hazzard, Jones entered the political arena as a Democrat. In 1986, he ran unsuccessfully against Pat Swindall for a seat in the United States House of Representatives from Georgia, garnering 47% of the vote, more than expected. He ran again in 1988, against Swindall, this time easily winning with 60% of the vote. Jones was narrowly re-elected in 1990, but in 1992, following redistricting which moved his home into another district, he was defeated in the Democratic primary election. In 1994, he ran against the then-House Minority Whip and soon-to-be House Speaker Newt Gingrich. Jones received 35% of the vote.

Jones has since returned to acting, as well as becoming a well-known writer, writing many political essays and a one-man play about Dizzy Dean in which he plays the famous "Gashouse Gang" pitcher and baseball announcer.

In 1998, he broke from most Democrats and called on President Bill Clinton to resign during his impeachment. Jones is still active in the Democratic Party. In 2002, he ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the United States House from Virginia against Republican incumbent Eric Cantor, thus becoming one of very few recent American politicians to seek elective office in more than one state.

Now as a child growing up in VA and watching the Dukes of Hazzard and having a serious crush Daisy Duke, we would frequent his place for a barn pick'n. He had a band called Cooter’s Garage Band and all were welcome to come and set a spell and play with them. Kind of an open house and it's still that way today!

Here' s the scene...

The view folks have in these parts is amazing!

He's gone to great pains to reconstruct the garage exactly as it was on the TV show.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:45:36 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #387 on: October 15, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
Random pics.

They have a museum inside, more DOH stuff than you can shake a stick at.

And sure enough the boys were pick'n when I was there. Yes, I joined in on banjo, no I will not put myself on a public forum in that manner.

Here's a short video that's about 1 minute long to give you a flavor.
https://vimeo.com/357225263

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #388 on: October 15, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
They had a small area for folks to watch movies of the Hazzard gang and their happenings.

Cooter is usually there and always happy to autograph anything you wish. The other actors and actresses show up a couple times a year here and throw down. I have met them all and they are solid down to earth folks.

I popped in Daisy's Diner for a quick bite to eat. Chilly cheese dog, thank you very much.

Yes this is a cheesy post, what can I say. I love cheesy! :) In the back of my mind I can hear Jeff Foxworthy saying, "you might be a redneck when you scooter over to Cooter's!"

You never know what's going to be posted in my thread and I like it like that. Life is a box of Cracker Jacks, open up and there's always a surprise.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my rubbish.

Peace,

Eric

PS: It's all free!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #389 on: October 15, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
Schwinn Charger

Dude...I had that bike in gold, I had that exact shirt and I had the same hair. Kim thought my sister sent me that pic...of me.  I recall vividly removing the training wheels when I was like three or something, riding down the street, crossing an alley, popping back up on a curbed sidewalk and smacking into the side of a white van.  I also recall lining up several friends on the sidewalk and jumping them just like evil Knievel using a few red bricks and an unknown piece of lumber. Best friend in the last position of course.  Wow. Where it all began.
Bill,

Nice! Do you have a pic of the Schwinn to share? The Charger and the Stingray were the ones everybody wanted back then. Thanks for stopping by, reading and commenting.

Eric

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #390 on: October 15, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »
That looks like fun!
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #391 on: October 15, 2019, 02:08:01 PM »

Cop car parked across six motorcycle spaces. That's some verisimilitude there.  C:-)

Dammit, Roscoe.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
lol, me and a buddy stumbled across a similar place while out riding the north end of the Natchez Trace parkway.  Awesome stuff!
--Tom

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #393 on: October 17, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »
That looks like fun!

It was!   :)

Cop car parked across six motorcycle spaces. That's some verisimilitude there.  C:-)

Dammit, Roscoe.

Right!

Americana at its best!
lol, me and a buddy stumbled across a similar place while out riding the north end of the Natchez Trace parkway.  Awesome stuff!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
A few pics of my ride home and I'll quit spamming Battle Scooters with silly pics. :spam

Folks tend to name their bikes/scooters and typically I name them a gals name. Well, I'm going to name the GTS The Gray Ghost, a famous soldier that fought for the south that I'll write about on another day. I very quietly roll up and disappear like a ghost on my GTS.

The Gray Ghost Vineyard

I call this pic "morning wood"

A couple pics from a lazy country road.

Lastly, a couple of tags and grabs for scooter tag.

I hope many of you are out and in the wind.

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #395 on: October 17, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »
TBT - My first motorcycle ever!
1977 Yamaha RD400 in Chappy Red

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #396 on: October 17, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »
Mrs. V and I planned a trip to Auckland, NZ to attend a business related conference but I wasn't able to go for a multitude of reasons. Mrs. V shared a pic from that trip.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:34:13 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #397 on: October 17, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
While I'm waiting on parts for the GTS for repair I broke out the heat gun and removed all the Warning labels.

Here in VA you are required to have a vehicle inspection. Some smacktard at the shop put it on the leg shield, grrr... So off with the inspection! I'll have to find another spot to place it.

That's all I have for today! Carry on.

(I have lots lore to share as I'm catching up on my threads)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #398 on: October 18, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
So this evening as the temperatures very quietly are dropping I loaded up Bella and headed to the mountains, broken toe and all. The sun was shining and it was a perfect evening for a scoot!

It's close to Halloween so I don the pumpkin head and get on down the road.

A few random pics from today's ride.

Some roads lead to gold!

Fall is falling and the leaves haven't turned yet but they're close. Not an epic trip, just a ride to clear my mind for the day. I hope all of you are in the wind and enjoying life.

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2019, 03:45:43 PM »
Kind of an impromptu update. Okay, here's the latest scooter project. I have a nephew that wants to try his hand at scooters. So after many discussions he opted for a 50cc scoot and wants to do it on the cheap. (who doesn't?) I originally found a Metropolitan but it was well weathered when I went to see it and in disrepair at it price range I took a pass.

Next I found a Ruckus in disrepair not running at somewhat a handy price. I had to venture in towards D.C. to look at it which if you live in these parts is a mess fo sho!

The deal on this scoot is the folks daughter used it on campus going to University of Maryland. Brought it home and it got parked in the backyard where it sat for 3 years. It will not start now and (hopefully) will make a good project scoot to resurrect for my nephew.

Sold! Another scooter adventure to get another person on 2 wheels in the wind.

Got it home and finally got some time to crawl allover it and see what I'm dealing with.