Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Monterey Madness was a memorial ride this year.  (Read 9567 times)

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
The Monterey Madness was a memorial ride this year.
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »

A number of us SoCal types (three, actually) got together for our annual mid-December Monterey Madness ride.  As long-time ride report readers will know, we often have terribly inclement weather for this two-day event, but this year the weather was cool but clear and sunny.  We couldn't have asked for nicer conditions for what was, in fact, a memorial ride.

Our good friend Kevin Stevens had died at his home in Ensenada less than a week and a half earlier, and RGBeard and I had been dealing with the death and ensuing paperwork for a number of days leading up to the planned Monterey ride.

I had some decals made, and we wore these on our helmets:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Now, Kevin would not have liked the ride we did, but we didn't ask for his input, and he wouldn't have given it anyway.  Kevin was the opposite of a morning person, and we were up and riding quite early both days.  He also didn't like to ride for farther than a single tank of gas would take him, and we did 400+ miles on friday and 500+ on saturday.
That said, he came along in memory if not in actual person.

We'd commented on this ad some of you may have seen:

We would have brought his ashes along for the ride but we didn't have them yet, so we had to resort to lesser means- I had a photo of him in the map pocket of my tank bag.  And of course, the helmet decals.

I should mention that when Kevin realized that he would no longer be able to ride he divested himself of his motorcycle stuff.  Among the things he gave me were the Shoei RF1100 in the photo above and a pair of Held Phantom gloves that I wore for this ride as well.

RGBeard wore a set of leathers that Kevin had given him, too.  Kevin was a major topic of conversation during the two days on the bike (We were all SENAed up and chatted almost constantly the entire time while riding) and his passing weighed heavily on our minds, but the ride was also a catharsis for us, a cleansing and the embodiment of a passion we all shared.  In that sense, the ride functioned more along the lines of a wake than a funeral, and that's how Kevin would have preferred it.

Anyhow, back to the ride.  We got a later start from BMW-K's house than planned so we opted for a shorter route on the way to Monterey.  We slabbed up 101 to Santa Barbara, then climbed up into the hills and rode Camino Cielo, a wonderful little chunk of ridge line goat path with absolutely stunning views both of Santa Barbara to the west and the Los Padres national forest to the east.  Most of the road has been repaved in the last couple of years so it's not the brutally abusive stretch of patches and potholes it used to be, but there were enough rough sections to remind us of how it had been.

From Camino Cielo we rode Foxen Canyon and the Tepusquet Canyon, both fun, sweeper-filled roads through the southern Central California coastal hills.  I have to admit I'm crummy about taking photos- too busy enjoying the moment, I guess.  Hopefully BMW-K and RGBEard will add to this thread with any pics they took.

We rode Interlake Rd to Ft. Hunter Liggett, then took Nascimiento-Ferguson Road into the setting sun and dropped down to Highway 1 just as it got dark.  Here's a photo from the east end of N-F Rd:

Up through Big Sur, enjoying the darkening sky to our left, we got to Monterey at about 7:30.  We checked into the motel, then went across the street for well-deserved dinner and tequila shots.

From the return leg on Saturday:

The rest is coming later, after I get it all written up.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:44:26 PM by miles »
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Re: The Monterey Madness was a memorial ride this year.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
 :clap: :clap:  Looking forward to hearing the rest.  :inlove:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »
I can't think of a more fitting tribute to a lost riding buddy than this.  :thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
I didn't take that many photos.  It was my inaugural Monterey Madness ride, and I was just trying to cope with the reality.

I don't really use my Speed Triple as a touring rig.  That's what I've got the Trophy for.  However, I was told the S3 was to be my mount for this, and prepared it accordingly.

Added the tank bag and a heat controller for a heated vest.

Here's a photo of my touring-prepped Speedy taken at the base, Fort Hunter-Liggett enroute to Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. 

Getting ready to tackle:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacimiento-Fergusson_Road

We are losing light, and sanity. 

All for this beautiful view, just South of BIg Sur:

When in Monterey, the Best Western offers a nice covered garage.  We didn't need to do any repairs, but I'm told history indicates that this location is very very useful.

And dinner:

IBA: 63413

Offline rgbeard

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »
The route this year was roughly:

Freeways to Santa Barbara, CA. (yawn.....)
Camino Cielo, through the mountains to highway 154. (okay, I'm awake now!)
Foxen Canyon
Tepusquet Road
Highway 166
Highway 101 to Paso Robles
Nacimento Lake Road
Interlake Road
Jolon Road to Fort Hunter-Liggett
Use the Fort property to cross to Nacimiento-Fergusson road
Drop down to Hwy 1, just South of Limekiln State Park
Use Hwy 1 to get to Monterey.

End of Day 1

Highway 1 to Carmel Valley Road (G16)
now down in the Valley, take Central Ave to King City, CA.
Bitterwater Road
Airline Road
Coalinga Road
Los Gatos Creek Road (had to cross a river!)
Gas in Coalinga, CA
Highway 198 to Parkfield Grade Road
also known as Parkfield/Coalinga Road
Lunch at the Parkfield Cafe
Cholame Valley Road
Highway 46
Bitterwater Road
Highway 58
Highway 33 to Taft
Highway 166 to 5 then home.

Home at 9:30 PM.

Offline rgbeard

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »
The second day began with Carmel Valley Road - which was just flat-dangerous at the time of the morning we chose.  The angle of the sun was perfect to cause dozens of occasions where our visibility was near-zero.  Track days teach you to not follow the line of the person in front of you, but on several occasions, I was following Robert's taillight as it was the only thing I could see.  I was hoping he at least had some idea where the road was going.  Can't misplaced faith be fun?  Fortunately mine was dead-on trusting Robert's path.

Carmel Valley wound us up through the mountains to here:

I didn't take any more photos for a long time, but there was so much that happened.  Both Miles and Robert came within petting distance of deer on Airline Road.  (not good at speed to be that close.)  We forded a river on Los Gatos Creek Road, and took miles and miles of dirt/gravel roads with combinations of snow and ice.

I don't consider myself a dirt rider, and must admit is was mildly anxious about parts of this trip.  The best advice on the subject I ever received was give to me years and years ago, which was: "Let the bike wiggle.  It knows what it wants to do."  Well, I've got many tens of miles of wiggle-time under my belt now, and I guess I'm over being anxious about dirt/gravel roads.

Lunch was the Parkfield cafe, and it was fun to come down from Parkfield Grade with our dirty-from-the-road bikes, and parked near a group of polished Harleys.  My intuition says they took the highway in, and not Parkfield Grade.  ;)

That said, Parkfield was a great place for lunch, but - every place has it's faults:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:21:53 PM by rgbeard »

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
Here's a photo of my touring-prepped Speedy taken at the base, Fort Hunter-Liggett enroute to Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. 

:drool:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »
To Rusty…  I see you've been inaugurated into the Miles-BMW-K-atypical1 way of doing things.  Although they were right about taking the S3; you would not want the Trophy on those roads. :lol:

Los Gatos Creek Road makes Soda Lake Road look like a freeway.  :thumbsup: And Kevin would not have liked this at all:rolf:

This is great.  :clap:

The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
Caption contest-

Bittersweet record of a fine ride. Well done.
Torque is cheap.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
Our good friend Kevin Stevens had died at his home in Ensenada less than a week and a half earlier, and RGBeard and I had been dealing with the death and ensuing paperwork for a number of days leading up to the planned Monterey ride.

Wait.. are you talking about the Kevin Stevens?  From STN?! :eek:

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »

Yes, the very same.

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
That is a VERY gorgeous Speed Triple.  And I bet Kevin was laughing at you guys the whole time. :lol: 

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »

Yes, the very same.

Well, damn.  Just now found the thread on sportbikes.net (which I rarely visit nowadays). 

Damn.  :-[   

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
Usually the Monterey Madness ride is a saturday up and sunday back down affair, but this year because of scheduling issues we made it friday and saturday.  Not that it makes any real difference as far as the ride report goes, but there it is anyway.

On saturday we ate at the motel, then got on the road early-ish.  As rbgeard mentioned, Carmel Valley Road eastbound put the sun right in our eyes, making for a difficult and hazardous start to the day.  Luckily we all avoided the doom that was certain and survived to tell the tale.  We connected to Bitterwater Rd where we made some good time, Then onto Los Gatos.  The gravel road with the water crossing was actually Hernandez Valley Rd, which BMW-K and I had ridden before and remembered fondly.

Los Gatos had been freshly patched, which meant that there were random spots of pea gravel on oil here and there every dozen yards or so.  Being as how the road is exceptionally twisty and narrow, the loose surface only added to the enjoyment, keeping us loose and limber on the bikes.

We gassed up in lovely Coalinga, then headed west and over the hills on Parkfield Grade.  At the crest the road became remarkably unpaved, (Again, this was a road that Robert and I knew quite well, but failed to warn rgbeard about) so the long, winding descent to Parkfield was taken at a moderate pace.  For having had zero experience on dirt and gravel roads up until that day, rgbeard did phenomenally well and completely failed to crash, despite being given any number of prime opportunities.  Huge props given to the new guy.   :clap:

We stopped at the Parkfield Cafe for lunch, and as usual, it was quite tasty.  I had the burger:

The Parkfield Cafe is about 100 yards from the most active spot on the San Andreas Fault, and yet they chose to decorate the place in an entirely unsafe manner.  This is the view above the seating are.  Note the sign.

The bridge with the signs that rgbeard posted pics of above is a quarter mile from the restaurant.

We took Cholame Rd south.  The pronunciation of this road had been a point of discussion between BMW-K and I.  He'd been pronouncing it CHO-la-MAY and I had been calling it cho-LAH-may.  I asked the waitress at the cafe, and she told us it's properly pronounced shuh-lamb, so we were both wrong.  Proof positive that two wrongs don't make a right, I guess.

We continued past the actual crash spot of James Dean, then a few miles west past the James Dean memorial (both on Highway 46).  A left took us back onto Bitterwater and south into the Carrizo Plains.

We'd been hoping to be able to ride Soda Lake Rd, but it became clear from the GPS readings that we'd be long out of gas before we were out of road, so we headed east on Highway 58 towards the lovely town of Taft.

rgbeard had never been on that chunk of road before , so I made it very clear that all he needed to remember when we got to the fun bit was that the road is perfectly straight and FFS don't do anything but go straight.  As we approached the first roller BMW-K waved rgbeard forward, and so off he went, up and over the first one.From our vantage point not too far behind we could see the front of the Speed Triple loft over the crest and down the other side.  Through our SENAs we heard rgbeard hoot with laughter as he wheeled all the way down the first roller.  He reappeared up the next uphill as we crested the first, and again was laughing like a madman as he caught air over the lip of the second roller.
It was at about this point that it became hard for me to see because my eyes were tearing up from laughing so hard in my helmet.

Too soon the rollers were past, but the twisty bits up and over the hills were tons of fun, even if BMW-K and I were both stressing about the distance to the gas station.
On the run down into town, BMW-K was the first to run out of gas.  Luckily (well, honestly, luck had nothing to do with it) he had a couple of MSR bottles full of gas, so he quickly poured a liter of gas into his tank and away we rolled.

Watching my countdown clock, it became obvious I wasn't going to make it to the gas station, but I tried to eke it out.
To no avail, I might add.  Soon it was me coasting to the side of the road and dredging out my fuel bottle to put a splash in my tank.
As it was still a few miles to the gas station, BMW-K was concerned that he might have to use his second fuel bottle, but no, we made it. 

At this point we were running out of light and it was decision time.  BMW-K was the one with the deadline, so he was going to motor to the freeway and slab home.  rgbeard and I had the option of another day on the road and we talked about possible routes (58 to Bakersfield for the night, then through Lake Isabella, south on Caliente-Bodfish and Tehachapi, then the three canyons back into L.A. then home), but we decided to just roll on back home that night. 

With a stop at the Starbucks on Laval Rd at the Grapevine to ogle some underdressed and underaged girls, we lane-split like fiends back through Los Angeles and Orange County.  BMW-K left us at Anaheim, and rgbeard headed east in Oceanside, coincidentally about five miles after the battery on my SENA died.

Sorry for the complete lack of photos, but here are a couple of videos that BMW-K shot.  The first one was from about 10 AM on saturday on Airline Rd.

Moments after the end of this video I had a near miss with another deer.

Here's a bit of Hernandez Valley, including the water crossing (but none of the icy sections)

I know BMW-K has a whole lot more footage to edit, and he took a bunch more photos, too, so hopefully when he returns to the US he can post some up in this thread.

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »
I've been calling it cho-LAH-may for years!  Thanks for the correct info. :D :D

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »
I still have a hard time thinking of it as Shuh-LAMB road.

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »
I had no idea that Kevin Stevens had died.  RIP.  That was very thoughtful to make it a memorial ride.  Thanks for the write-up.

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »
As miles noted, this ride is very bittersweet.  Kevin's passing had us stressed, somewhat melancholy, often teary eyed.  We all have good memories of Kevin and he made an difference in our lives. 

Having said that, Kevin would never have joined us on this ride.  As miles noted, it was more than a tank of gas, highly likely to be in inclement weather, and was on roads that were far less than…well…smooth.

The day started at 8:30am at my home with miles arriving first and Rusty shortly thereafter.  We would be rolling in no time.

Rusty had the first casualty - a dead battery and we hadn't even started the ride!  Very conveniently I actually had a spare - I'd swapped out the OEM battery on the Ducati for a Shorai and still had the OEM in the garage.  In fact, I had just put it on a charger a couple weeks back so it was nice and topped off.  I always love the expressions I get in those perfect moments… "Whadaya mean you have a spare battery???"  10 minutes of fiddling and we were ready to roll.

IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »
Our first stop was in Santa Barbara where we stopped for a quick breakfast bite of…Crepes.  You'd think I'd have snapped a better couple pictures but no.  My head was in a difference place this ride.  I was happy just to be out. 

Miles ordered the Nutella Crepes.   :drool:  I and Rusty had opted to stick with the more conventional Goat Cheese and Spinach Crepes and the Ham and Cheese Crepes.  None of them sucked.

11:30 upon us, it was time to put down some mileage.

Camino Cielo was first up - and remains one of my favorite roads in all of SoCal.  Tight, windy, bust up asphalt, blind corners, scree in the road:  yeah!   8) 8) 8) :o  I can't get enough of a ride on these roads.  I love them.  Here's a vid to keep you tided over.

Camino Cielo

PS:  The audio blows.  Literally.   I gotta figure out a better microphone setup.  The Ducati just sounds too good not to share. 

We hammered out Camino Cielo, Foxen, Tepusquet, Nacimiento Road, FHL to Naci-Fergusson.  Naci is another of those favorite goat path roads but we were chasing moonlight at this point.  I've never regretted adding lighting to my bikes and sure enough this would be another one of those rides.

I call this picture "Attack of the Midget Riders" 

We rolled into Monterey at around 9pm, hit the hotel and then got our priorities in order:

Fun and good times ensued.

We spent much of the night reminiscing about the good times with Kevin. 

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »
We weren't in much of a rush but I knew that I had to be home that Saturday evening.  Work had me on a Sunday flight for a very important set of meetings - missing them would simply be unacceptable.  We suited up and headed to Carmel Valley Road.

I have no pictures of Carmel Valley Road.  As Rusty mentioned, we were headed right into a rising winter sun.  Reading the road was difficult to impossible in some places and it was all I could to manage several 30mph corners at 15 mph.  It was just plain that bad.  It was so bad that there was no point in pulling out the camera at all.

"Can we ride?"  Miles is always so expressive in his behavior.  With the bitter winter sun high enough we set forth to destroy the rest of Carmel Valley, Airline, Los Gatos.

Miles has already posted the Deer Vid and Water Crossing Vids.  Unfortunately those vids pretty much spelled the end of the camera - I hadn't realized the amount of dirt collecting on the cam lens and it ruined any of the other vids I was taking. 

What didn't show up in the vids is the Deer miles tried to take out.  I at least had a good 20 feet of distance between us (ABS braking kicks ass).  I kid you not, he could have slapped it on the ass.  Thankfully we had all been on high alert for critters.  Truth is though we must have seen 40 deer in under an hour.  I hate them damn wood rats.

Lunch in Parkfield…

I love this restaurant.  Nothing like enjoying some fine eats with a thousand lethal implements hanging over your heads, suspended by old, rusting out pieces of coat hanger.   ;D

Good food in our bellies, we ripped across fields of suede. 

And sadly, did not get to quite finish the ride we intended.  I really wanted to get us into Carizzo Plains but fuel range just didn't let us.  Likely it was a good thing too.  Rusty's S3's chain was giving up the ghost…with 21,000 miles on it I'd say he got his life out of it.  Yes, that's the fully tightened setting.   :o  Talk about chain slap!

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
Epilogue:  at the end of many of these rides we'd come home and often Kevin would be in the garage waiting to hear us tell tails and spin lies.  That didn't happen. 

We all miss our friend.  He shared his life selflessly, he shared his stories, he just shared his gifts and he opened his life up to just a few.  I was privileged to be one he chose to share his life with.  We rode together, dined together, went to Mexico together and ultimately went to Africa together. 

Monterey was in Memory of Kevin this year.  And for once, the roads were clear and Kevin actually would not have been the one to run out of gas. 

Godspeed my friend.  I look forward to having you show us the roads in the next left when we meet again.   :'(

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:24:09 PM by BMW-K »

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
*sniffle*  :inlove: :beerchug:

Offline Orson

• Super Moderator
  • Motorcycles: 2002 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, 2004 Triumph Thruxton, 2016 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
I wasn't aware of Kevin's illness  :-[

He was a sane voice on ST.N

Sad news indeed...way too young.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
Well as usual, Kevin's been poking me with a stick.  :lol:

Well the memory of Kevin that is and the nature of ALS. I've been reviewing some of his old posts on Pashnit (about a year 2008-2009) - this was about the time I met him and actually rode with him. I met M.Brane in the same time frame and he introduced me to STN, where I became re-acquainted with Kevin and met BMW-K, miles, rgbeard, and atypical1 (now james_g on STN).

Small world indeed.

In any case, back to Kevin's posts. Kevin's incisive mind was often a little too much for some who wish to make emotional arguments. There was also a faint plea to start a ride at 11 AM rather than 8 AM 'to at least let the road warm up'.  :bigsmile:

Being a biochemist by training, I've been digging into ALS (or more generally motor neuron disease) to ascertain the extent of new research. In any case, it is a mercurial disease with many flavors - some succumbing soon after diagnosis; others living for years (e.g. Stephen Hawking). These, as yet, incurable diseases that strike close to home do cause me to pause and reflect on my life - am I living the life I want? Because you cannot rule out the bolt out of the blue that changes the whole game.

The icy finger of mortality down my arm always pushes me to some (re)self-examination. Damn it.

Here's to you Kevin.  :beerchug:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline FJRider

• Banned at ST.n!
    • Zombo
  • Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300AE, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »
My Wife and I own a condo on Hwy 68 (Monterey-Salinas Hwy) about 3 miles East of Laguna Seca. We're between renters for a month and could have offered you a free place to sleep and swim.
A man is only as old as the woman he feels - Groucho Marx

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
My Wife and I own a condo on Hwy 68 (Monterey-Salinas Hwy) about 3 miles East of Laguna Seca. We're between renters for a month and could have offered you a free place to sleep and swim.

Good to know.  Thanks!  Given that the high temps were not very, I doubt much swimming would have happened!   

:wow: (as close to a frozen smiley as I could find)

Offline FJRider

• Banned at ST.n!
    • Zombo
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »

Good to know.  Thanks!  Given that the high temps were not very, I doubt much swimming would have happened!   

... heated pool.

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »

... heated pool.

Yeah, but heated air, too?  Who wants to look like a Japanese monkey?

Offline FJRider

• Banned at ST.n!
    • Zombo
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »

It's now 5 F here. My sympathies go out to you having to deal with the frigid low 60s. ;D

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

It's now 5 F here. My sympathies go out to you having to deal with the frigid low 60s. ;D

I know!  It's terrible.  I may have to wear an extra layer on today's ride in the mountains!    :crazy:

Offline rgbeard

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »
That would be optimal for a L.S. track day - if it's still between renters.  (which hopefully won't be - as I don't intend to be up at Laguna Seca right away.)