Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chromecast  (Read 6125 times)

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
Chromecast
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
All

We're considering alternate content sources for our TV -- anyone here have experiences, good or bad, with Chromecast?
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: Chromecast
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
I absolutely love my Chromecast.

However... it is a rev-1 product with limited (thus far) acceptance.

The underlying protocol is very cool, and has the potential to absolutely destroy and rebuild the streaming media world, however for now Roku and AppleTV are the biggest players in the market. Just because Chromecast has potential and has a much better underlying protocol, there's a lot to be said for being first to market... and having better marketing and acceptance early on.

Betamax was technically superior to VHS in every regard... that didn't help in the long run.

Apple TV is more full-featured at the moment, though the technology underlying it is nothing terribly awesome.

$.02
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
Aren't Roku and Apple TV considerably more expensive?  I'm probably getting a ChromeCast for Christmas, so this thread has interest for me too.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
Aren't Roku and Apple TV considerably more expensive?  I'm probably getting a ChromeCast for Christmas, so this thread has interest for me too.

Apple TV is $99.
Roku ranges from $49 - $99.
Chromecast is $35.

Offline marc11

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »
Love my Chromecast too. But it is limited however its getting better especially with Plex support. Apple TV has some more options but only those Apple allows most of the content in it requires a cable TV subscription to access and not all companies and or DirecTV are supported so what's the point????  If most of your media is Google play, home server based or internet based Chromecast may be perfect. If its Apple based and or you own an I device Apple TV with airplay is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
Chirs -- thanks for the input -- looks likke Roku is just slightly better in terms of normal broafdcast stuff, with the streaming stuff being more or less a wash . . . . . . .

The price differential isn't enough to throw the decision, one way or another . . . . . .

Thanks!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
Love my Chromecast too. But it is limited however its getting better especially with Plex support. Apple TV has some more options but only those Apple allows most of the content in it requires a cable TV subscription to access and not all companies and or DirecTV are supported so what's the point????  If most of your media is Google play, home server based or internet based Chromecast may be perfect. If its Apple based and or you own an I device Apple TV with airplay is great.

Yeah, I host most of the stuff I want to play either on my Google Nexus 7, or on my PC as a media server.  Apple's walled garden has me nervous about anything Apple related.  I like the open architecture of my Android tablet and figured Chromecast would work well with it.

Offline marc11

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »

Yeah, I host most of the stuff I want to play either on my Google Nexus 7, or on my PC as a media server.  Apple's walled garden has me nervous about anything Apple related.  I like the open architecture of my Android tablet and figured Chromecast would work well with it.

Plex and Chromecast would work well in your case.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
What all can you watch on Chromecast? I ask because we watch most of our "TV" on the XBOX.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline marc11

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »
Not much more than you can over your Xbox save for browser based content and Google play content and plex.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »
The company who makes this a truly non-technical consumer solution will own the freaking world. Roku and Apple have done a pretty good job, but you still need to do way more setup than the average grandmom or non-techie will ever think is worth it.

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
The company who makes this a truly non-technical consumer solution will own the freaking world. Roku and Apple have done a pretty good job, but you still need to do way more setup than the average grandmom or non-techie will ever think is worth it.

How's the set up on the Chromecast?  I'm a tech person so it doesn't worry me, but I'm curious how "idiot proof" it is, or if I'm going to have friends calling me because they can't figure it out...

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

How's the set up on the Chromecast?  I'm a tech person so it doesn't worry me, but I'm curious how "idiot proof" it is, or if I'm going to have friends calling me because they can't figure it out...

They give you very direct and hand-holdy instructions. You plug it in to power it on, and run an applet on your computer that temporarily reconfigs your wi-fi to connect to the 'cast (it creates a temporary lan) and do a few setup things. It's very step by step and it's pretty hard to go off script, assuming your home network is all working fine.

I was very impressed with it.

Offline marc11

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Very easy and there is a chromecast app as well.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
I don't know if any of you are running a newer Android phone with Jelly Bean, but I have a Galaxy S4 and a Note II thatboth stream content to my Sony smart TV that also runs Android.

Both phones automatically detect the TV and give me the option to send the signal wirelessly to the TV. No setup, no app download, nothing. Just to touch of an icon on my phone and the video appears on my TV. This is the best thing Ihave ever used . I've only tried Netflix and YouTube so far. Not sure if all apps work or just some.

Offline falconati

• Motorcycles: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
I agree with Chris.  I think the Apple TV is a much better product, for now, but I believe that Chromecast will ultimately become better given Google's ability to innovate on the Chrome/Android fronts.

If you use an Android phone, I would get a Chromecast.  It's only $35!  If you have iPhones or iPads or iThings, I would get the Apple TV instead (as it allows you to easily beam things to it).

Offline marc11

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
I don't know if any of you are running a newer Android phone with Jelly Bean, but I have a Galaxy S4 and a Note II thatboth stream content to my Sony smart TV that also runs Android.

Both phones automatically detect the TV and give me the option to send the signal wirelessly to the TV. No setup, no app download, nothing. Just to touch of an icon on my phone and the video appears on my TV. This is the best thing Ihave ever used . I've only tried Netflix and YouTube so far. Not sure if all apps work or just some.

The phones/OS support Miracast which is built into some TV's or can be added via a dongle. Very similar to Apples Airplay.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »
The Chromecast integration in the iPad Netflix app is impressive. The coolest thing about the cast is that in most circumstances you're not actually streaming from the since to the cast. You're actually handing off to the car. Small but VERY IMPORTANT distinction in terms of the long term viability of the Chromecast platform. I'm out and about and can't wait hunt down some links but Google it. It's pretty impressive.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:33:28 AM by chornbe »

Offline three west

• Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
I love my chromecast, and since they added official support for hulu it gets used a lot.  The Roku is a nice piece of hardware as well.
I don't do apple.

Offline Nodaclu

• Contributor
  • Motorcycling career on hold...
  • Motorcycles: Pending...
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 02:28:40 AM »
For some weird reason, I have a Roku, an Apple TV, and a Chromecast in my house. I would rank the Roku #1, the Chromecast #2 with a bullet (for those of you old enough to know what that means), and the Apple TV a distant third.

Right now, the Roku rules the day with its sheer volume of available channels. I also love the universal search. Just the other night I wanted to watch Step Brothers, but hadn't seen it in my casual searches on Netflix. But thanks to Roku's universal search, I found it for free on Crackle. I *never* would have thought to look for it on Crackle in a million years.

I agree with Chris though - Roku and Apple have a big lead, but the Chromecast has the tech advantage that, if advanced and marketed properly, has the potential to disrupt this entire segment over the next couple of years - in part because they've simplified and removed a piece of the puzzle - the remote. When any available phone or tablet becomes your remote, that's a killer feature.

Tab casting is another big one. It provides a simple way to put almost any video, or web page, on to your TV screen. The ability to do so has been around for awhile, but only Apple has ever made it remotely as easy, but it does so with considerably more overhead.

Oddly enough, the Apple TV feels like the also-ran in this group - lagging behind and lacking in features and innovation. It's beautiful to look at, but it just isn't anything special. Apple needs to make a big move in this space in 2014 or they risk losing BIG market share.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 07:24:29 AM »
Right now, I'm using Chromecast strickly for Youtube music videos. I love it! I had bought a Chrome book a while before I heard of Chromecast, but the app was already in it.
I put the actual devise into my home theater receiver so I get great sound too.
It was a piece of cake to get things going.
Tomorrow, I'm going to watch my first movie from Google with the Chromecast. Christmas Story.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »
I got one for Christmas.  Gonna set it up tonight and see how I like it.  Already added the Chromecast app to my Nexus 7.  New toys!

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »
the Chromecast has the tech advantage.... - in part because they've simplified and removed a piece of the puzzle - the remote. When any available phone or tablet becomes your remote, that's a killer feature.
I'd like to see this incorporated into TVs, heck anything with a remote control!
I'm assuming the 'remote' (app) is 'programmable' for common tasks.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen