Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: shake n bake  (Read 221 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
shake n bake
« on: June 24, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »
How was that quake?  Anyone feel it?  6.0 south of Lone Pine? 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
Re: shake n bake
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 01:52:17 PM »
People in the Central Valley felt it. I did not, but then I am so used to rumbles and shakes that it's going to take something closer and stronger to make me notice.

We were out at Willow Springs racing this past weekend and during the night I think I felt one. Just a nice quiet jiggle.

Edit: We are about 225 miles south from Lone Pine....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:07:05 PM by viffergyrl »
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
As a resident of the Great Lakes State, I'd really like to experience one - as long as a house doesn't fall on me or something.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »
I lived in SF in 88.  Left in Dec.  Couple months later...  I'd apparently slept through a few while there and never knew it.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 07:21:46 PM »
Nope not a thing here. But then CA is a rather large state so Ya what happens there may not be felt up here .

I have experienced a few, less than a dozen, not too experienced compared to others. I did get to be part of the 89 quake in LoMa prieta (spelling???) Ya that one was one to remember. Shut down a baseball game, dropped part of a bridge and the freeway fell on a lot of people. It was a bad day, but i got to ride all over SF the night of the quake, fun riding past the cops who were closing down streets  ;D

There will be more, be prepared, and hang on.   
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 05:29:16 AM »
More than 6.0 is a pretty good shake, if it's anywhere nearby.  Can be scary.

5.0 is 'fun.'  Still clearly an earthquake.

Less than that and you probably won't notice it.  Had a low 4 at yoga one day while in Tree pose.  TIM-BER!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
As a resident of the Great Lakes State, I'd really like to experience one - as long as a house doesn't fall on me or something.

Woke up to a 5 when going to school in Kirkland, WA. Sat up in bed, swore at the rascals in the next dorm room for horsing around on a Sat morning. Laid back down and went back to sleep. Later heard is was a rumbler.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:48:58 AM by Bounce »

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »
My best SoCal earthquake story dates back to the ‘80s. I had gone to the local second-run theater to see Ghost Busters for a buck. The theater was old and run down, but who cared? They showed movies for a dollar a ticket!

Anyhow, a decent temblor hit just as the crew blew up the Sta Puft Marshmellow Man- perfect timing. The theater shook, some of the ceiling tiles fell, so on.

The movie didn’t stop, and we stayed and watched the rest of the film. Hey, wed already paid for the tickets, after all.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 08:49:59 PM »
In Alameda, about 400 miles from quake. Did not feel it.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
Who you gonna call?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
My best SoCal earthquake story dates back to the ‘80s. I had gone to the local second-run theater to see Ghost Busters for a buck. The theater was old and run down, but who cared? They showed movies for a dollar a ticket!

Anyhow, a decent temblor hit just as the crew blew up the Sta Puft Marshmellow Man- perfect timing. The theater shook, some of the ceiling tiles fell, so on.

The movie didn’t stop, and we stayed and watched the rest of the film. Hey, wed already paid for the tickets, after all.

“Great special effects!   When they blew up Sta-Puft, that actually felt real!    ;D

Great story tho.   Stranger than fiction, right?

Putting Ducati back into education.