Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Leather Care  (Read 867 times)

Offline DrMikey

• Motorcycles: 2003 BMW R1150RT, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Leather Care
« on: April 16, 2017, 10:14:05 PM »
Anyone out there ever dye motorcycle leather gear?  I just used Fiebing's oil-based Saddle Tan dye mixed 1:4 with neatsfoot oil on my Indian's seat and leather saddlebags.  I have used Skidmore's leather cream as a dressing before, but don't know if I should wait a couple weeks before applying it the the bags I just dyed yesterday. Any thoughts?

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Re: Leather Care
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »
I've used shoe polish to re-dye my Joe Rocket gloves that started to fade.  It worked a treat and looks great years later.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Wesley

• Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
I've used shoe polish to re-dye my Joe Rocket gloves that started to fade.  It worked a treat and looks great years later.

That is fantastic!  I will definitely be trying this for my gloves.  Great idea.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:59:05 AM »
While working for HD, I got some of their leather dye and conditioner for my used seat.  Wow!  Evened out the color, filled in the worn spots and then gave it a nice even tone with the conditioner.
--Tom

Offline Wesley

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Per jadziadax8's post, I applied shoe polish to my gloves to restore their color.  Nice results.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »

That is fantastic!  I will definitely be trying this for my gloves.  Great idea.
I have some shoe dye - which is the appropriate product for this.  The bottle looks alot like a bottle of shoe polish, with a sponge applicator on the top of the bottle.
I don't use it anytime soon after using any other product.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
I have black & tan gloves I've been using for 15 years.  I use saddlesoap but the black is looking kinda grey.  Maybe I'll try dye or polish but I don't want black hands in the rain.  Would either be better or worse?
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline Wesley

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
I have black & tan gloves I've been using for 15 years.  I use saddlesoap but the black is looking kinda grey.  Maybe I'll try dye or polish but I don't want black hands in the rain.  Would either be better or worse?

I hadn't thought of the black hands in the rain aspect of it.  I'll let you know next time I ride in the rain how it turns out, unless jadziadax8 can comment on this.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '08 Wee & an overweight Connie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
I worked in the lab at Kiwi for 10 years - used to make my own furniture‚Äč stains; same basic formula - and I'm afraid to post advice because leather finishes and products are so diverse you really have to know xactly what you are working with.   But here it goes. 

Major difference between polish and dye is dye usually has a resin to fix it on the leather whereas polish has a base to carry it on the leather.  Dye will not rub off as easily as a comparable polish.  How well either sticks to the leather depends upon the type of finish on the leather.  Even if the leather finish is scuffed off, if the colloidal texture of the leather was crushed during finishing, nothing short of a polymer coating will restore color to it. 

The best suggestion I can give is try whatever treatment you plan to use in a small innocuous spot and see how well it holds up or rubs off. 

Anybody remember the guy at the Burger Run with black hands?  Im pretty sure they were untreated gloves;  just not rain gloves  Youuld think glove manufacturers would know more about leather. 
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »

I hadn't thought of the black hands in the rain aspect of it.  I'll let you know next time I ride in the rain how it turns out, unless jadziadax8 can comment on this.

I think I probably got the leather dye.  I have not gotten any bleed in the rain.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby