Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Austin to The Old Dominion on a 155cc Scooter  (Read 19102 times)

Offline tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: Austin to The Old Dominion on a 155cc Scooter
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
Congrats my friend.  I was worried.  NO doubt.  Very happy you are safe.  I might just have to ride out to see you and buy you a stiff bourbon and congratulate you on such a miserable journey.  I am finding myself in the decompresion depression mode that I often get after many, many days of adrenaline packed miles of scenery, people, roads, terrain, and no more humming of the engine between my legs.  This really has been quite a journey for you and I and I feel grateful in some strange way that we sort of went through it together at the same time.  DAMN STORM...
MY GLASS OF WINE IS RAISED TO YOU .  CHEERS MY FRIEND.... YOU MADE IT HOME
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:45:28 PM by tankhead »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
Thanks all! I have a short ride tomorrow to get home & to finish off this trip and lots to share.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2017, 09:19:54 PM »
One teaser video! The downswing of Glympse is your family knows when you're rolling up.  :redface:

Arriving from TX to VA in 5 days on a brand new Vespa 946 04/22/17 on Vimeo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:56:11 PM by Virginian »

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2017, 09:32:50 PM »
Haha! I finally get to see what a 6' 4" guy looks like on a Vespa. Certainly better than a circus bear on a trike....

:couch:

Well done, sir! :clap: :clap: :smoking:
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
Freakin awesome.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2017, 11:01:07 PM »
Well done!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ride safe!

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2017, 05:49:22 AM »
Day 5  411 miles - 1,775 miles total

So I wake up from the overpriced fleabag motel that I was happy to get last night hoping for a better today. I check the weather and there's a nasty front coming. So I scratch the BRPW, load up and try to outrun the storm.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This tale has gone from:

- Stop and smell the roses tour
- To: War of the Roses tour
- To: Run Forest Run

The scene at the motel, note the nice wrecked cars lined up.

So I start blasting down the freeway to beat this storm. (as best I can on a scooter) I pull off in Galax, VA for gas and it was about to get real nasty out. This is what I have ridden in for the last 200 miles but when it started lightening and thunderstorms, I'm out!
https://vimeo.com/214366111

So I sat this one out for a bit and got a bite to eat. Nothing but gross food in this quick stop...

After about 45 minutes wait I see a pocket in the storm and suit up to punch my way through the storm to find this pocket. I finally get to it and surf that for quite a bit missing the really nasty weather. This pic was the next gas stop in Salem, VA.

I roll up to my families in Front Royal to seek shelter and warm up as the temps were 48*F/8.9*C, factor in soaking wet, terrible winds and wind chill factor... It sucked....

That bad news about using Glympse is your family know exactly when you're rolling up.

Here's a short video of my arrival.
https://vimeo.com/214344866

The trip is essentially over but I'll pad the stats a little more when I make it home to Spotsylvania later today.

Total miles on the odometer.

Total for the day.

Thanks for reading,

Eric
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:50:37 AM by Virginian »

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2017, 05:49:30 AM »
Loved following along, thanks for taking us.

Now for what everyone wants, an image of you on Bella. 

(big man on a little bike)

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2017, 07:12:05 AM »
Fantastic. 

I appreciate your suffering for our entertainment.  While a string of bluebird days would have made for lovely scenic shots of the BRPW,  nothing says epic adventure like:

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
Bravo! awesome RR! Thanks for taking us along.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
I have roughly two more posts to contribute to this ride report.

- Finish up the ride report, provide stats, cheers & jeers
 - Write up on my gear that worked and didn't work

I just rode home from Front Royal to Spotsy, roughly another 78 miles and you know what? It wasn't raining! Cold but no rain.

First a few pics from some of my favorite spots on the way home.

And Bella being introduced to my XR1200

Stats:

Day 6 78 miles - 1,853 miles total Yeah, I'm a numbers guy. (the nav is showing a little less as I didn't use it to venture out for supper)
 - Max speed 72 mph
 - Average speed 49 mph
 - Seat time 36 hours
 - 23 fuel fill ups
 - Average mpg 60.8
 - Best mpg 74.9
 - 31 gallons of gas burned
 - Fuel cost $89.49
 - Average fill up cost $3.89
 - Average Price per gallon $2.87

Amazing moments:

- About an hour after I left the dealership in Austin I was riding along with traffic and there was this old fellow on the side of the road selling
   watermelons. As I passed by and he made eye contact with me his face lit up like a Christmas Tree and had the greatest smile. He waved hello to
   me with such enthusiasm!I don't know what provoked it but it was a warm fuzzy for me.
 - Somewhere on I10 I saw my first Armadillo. It was road kill Tango Uniform (tits up) but still it was the first one I've ever seen in my life. One of
    many in TX, LA, MS that I saw.
 - Somewhere on I10 (I10 just went on and on) I saw a turtle crossing the road. I said to myself, dammit turn around so I did and ran across I10
    fetched him and gave him a fighting chance in life. A fellow can never have too many karma points banked. This was 1 of 3 turtles I saved. No,
    I'm not a tree hugg'n kind of guy but I felt compelled...
 - I met many folks I'm proud to call my friends
 - Many 'twinkies' i.e. young gals felt the need to film me or take a pic of me riding down the road. I'm quite sure I'm on a couple of FB pages being
    laughed at by other 'twinkettes"! I gave each and every one of the a hardy wave.
 - The euphoria of traveling almost 2/3rds of the U.S. on a small scooter. I'm overwhelmed with pride and self satisfaction and words cannot
    describe. An experience that I have had many times on a m/c but doing so on a scooter was empowering.
 - In MS I'm scoot'n along and two HD riders rolled up next to me, full pirate outfit, jackets no sleeves, tatts showing, and had their best mean look     
    on their faces. You know the one they practice in the mirror? Riding next to me I look over trough my iridium blue visor, nod my head a couple of
    times with approval and give them the metal death horns sign. They both busted out laughing and gave me the thumbs up and motored on. In
    my mind they got it, a man/woman on two wheels in the wind. 
 - I figured I would get a lot of questions on this trip as it unfolded so I printed up some business cards on my PC that directed them to this thread
   and others on different forums I haunt. Many wanted to follow my journey and it was really  slick way to share that information. Btw, I ran out of
   cards to give out after I printed 50...
 - Barber Museum! Go! Nuff said.
 - The mighty Vespa 946 proved to be stone cold reliable and not once hiccuped or skipped a beat! Giusto!
 - Glympse! I'm going to get a little long winded on this topic. What a joy to share my trip virtually and in real time. I chose to do this for a couple of
   reasons. For safety, as I figured there would be a
   quite a few viewers that knew exactly where I was at should I need help. Many folks wrote me saying; hey! my brothers/dad/mom/etc lives right
   there. I know in my heart they would help or reach
   out if I needed it. What Glypmse manifested into was a whole different animal. I had on average 130 to 150 viewers tracking on my journey. They
   seemed to really enjoy being in the know in real time and somehow made my ride report more compelling. My loved ones adored being able to
   know where I was at and it gave them a little piece of mind in a small way. It's a free app, don't leave home without it!

Jeers:
 - The lions share of the trip was in the pouring driving rain. We can't predict this stuff so all you can do is adapt and overcome, which I did. Mother
   Nature pounded me and Bella 3 of the 5 days I was on the road which drastically cut into my miles per day I wanted to achieve of 500 leaving lots
   of time to explore the BRPW.
 - Cancelling the whole BRPW. This was heart breaking as I hammered through so many areas I wanted to explore but didn't have the time so in a
   way I put all my eggs in one basket only to have
    Mother Nature smash the basket.
 - Food, I rarely got to enjoy a nice meal as by the time I got to the hotel there was not much near for restaurants. Again, I'm sure I'd reply
   differently if I got to ride the entire BRPW...
 - I'm not a fan of showing my mug on the 'net. If I do it's only to share a basic emotion that I'm experiencing.
 - On the last leg of the trip it was just drizzling and very windy. I got behind this one semi that I swear he veered off the road onto the rumble
    strips that had water pooled in each divot throwing
    spray on me. If I'm lying I'm dying this happened 50+ times. 
 - The fleabag hotel... The next room over a dude was pounding his gal in a good way. The bad news is the headboard backed up to my wall. So I
    banged on the wall and yelled, "Hey! Move the bed back a little or hurry the f*** up and have a happy ending! My scooter and I are trying to
    rest!" I heard a soft conversation and they both busted out laughing. hehe

Random thoughts:

When I write about anything, ride reports, my builds, etc I just tend to write as it happens. To me you capture the feeling or tone of what's going on. If the situation is bad, tell it like it is. I can't stand reading anything that has been filtered and is full of unicorns pooping rainbows. Tell the truth and nothing but the truth. I try hard to provide documentation that supports what I'm seeing, feeling or experiencing. In essence, don't candy coat your reports, speak the truth and speak from your heart. Just my 2 cents...

So in closing...

Mea Culpa

To all my friends that wanted to see the BRPW pictures. I tried my best and failed in epic fashion. With a little luck later on this summer I'll have another go with Bella.

Eric

Life is short, enjoy the ride!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:52:25 AM by Virginian »

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing the entire trip with us. Following along on Glympse was a lot of fun. And your writes ups  and photos were excellent.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing the entire trip with us. Following along on Glympse was a lot of fun. And your writes ups  and photos were excellent.

This.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
I think it's imperative to share what gear worked and what did not under the circumstances that your journey put your gear through. So I'll share a few tips about my gear in hopes that it helps another traveler. I should mention that I'm cheap so I tend to buy last years stuff on close outs.

Gear:

Let's start with my helmet. The most crucial part of my gear to me. I'm a gear whore and have 8 helmets. Why did I choose my AGV for this trip? Simply put, it provided the most safety and the least noise levels that I've experienced. This particular helmet has about 75,000 miles on it and is getting tired. As it has never let me down it performed magnificently.

This helmet is/was from their high end GT-Tech line, Pista GP is their new name for 2017 helmet line. Back then it was roughly $1,000 but I bought it on sale for $800. Also I'm a huge Rossi fan! So try to stick with the best fitting helmet brands that offer the best protection. Shoei, Arai, AGV, to name a few. Remember, it's all you have when your head hits the road at 70 mph.

My jacket is a REV'IT! Shield Jacket. About $239 TMD, waterproof with minimal venting, pocket for back protector, attaches to my britches. It did its job very well and was good choice for this trip. I stayed dry for roughly 8 hours of riding in the rain, after that water was creeping down my neck. It's cheap, waterproof and gets the job done. I'm not a fan of having membrane layers to zip in and out. It has a zip out liner for cold riding. This jacket is a very poor choice for summer/hot riding as it truly fails in the venting department. Fall-Winter-Spring is where it's at.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-shield-jacket

My britches are REV'IT! Sands 2 on close out. These pants have gortex membrane, zip in thermal liner and armor. Yes, I hate the membrane but I just leave it in permanently and forget about it. It too has minimal venting. They stayed waterproof about the same time, 8 hours of driving hard rain. After that water started to seep into my crotch area from the belt line. I want to say I paid about $180 tmd. The pockets are not waterproof so beware what you place in them.

My boots are el cheapo AeroMoto Renegade Waterproof Motorcycle Boots. At $69 U.S. they fall into the disposable category. Use them and toss them when they show signs of giving up the ghost. They are rock solid waterproof during all bad weather conditions. Seriously, these rock for the dollar!
http://www.compacc.com/p/aeromoto-renegade-waterproof-motorcycle-boots

My backpack is a Alpinestars Orbit Backpack. I didn't skimp here as I need it to be absolute waterproof keeping my gear and electronics dry which it did flawlessly. It has a lip much like a dry bag that you fold over 3 times and snap it closed. I should mention the outside pockets are not waterproof. It house a bladder if hydration is your thing. It's not mine, if I'm thirsty I just pull over. I have no use for carrying heavy liquids on my back. It also comes with a laptop sleeve that Velcros inside. I didn't use it as the sleeve used up precious cargo space. Again, stone cold reliable under the worst of conditions. This will be my luggage when I travel on the XR.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-orbit-backpack

When I long distance ride invariably my ass hurts bad. About the 2nd or 3rd day I switch to these britches. (not in the habit of showing my under britches but in the spirit of helping others) These help quite a bit and will net you a few more days of riding with a little less pain. Yes, you look like you have a load in your pants but m/c gear doesn't make you like you have issues in one form or another, The key (to me) for underwear is no seams on your backside. Just replacing your normal under britches with no seam undies is a game changer. Check outdoor stores like REI or the like. This pair is made by Dainese and aren't made anymore. Bicycle shops have many options here as well.

My intent was to take some short riding movies on the BRPW, I use a GoPro Hero Session. I paid $180 for mine but I've seen them cheaper. No movies this trip but maybe next one? Love this mini cam! Waterproof with no exoskeleton plastic case to waterproof it. It can be operated via your smartphone via Bluetooth. Here's a cheesy example of a quick clip I took last summer.
https://vimeo.com/170384249

Lastly my Kreiga US-20 Drybag. Wow, these bags just work on so many levels. It comes with all the attachments to attach to your bike or bike rack. Snap off and on with ease. 100% waterproof, very flexible as far as stacking other Kreiga packs on top or on the sides like luggage panniers. They make many sizes and this IS my go to bag for many years and has never ever failed. It's a bargain for $139. Get one, you won't regret it! If I had the OEM rack on the XR1200 I would have a US-30 ans a US-20 stacked for 50 liters of storage which is more than enough as I'm a minimalist traveler. I kept my MacBook air, all chargers, paperwork, and anything heavy in this bag filled to the brim. The bag cinches up like a compression sack.

Mophie waterproof smartphone case. It's waterproof, fits my iPhone 6+, 70% more battery backup and just works. 99% of all my pics are done with my iPhone. It must be waterproof as its the only thing I keep in my pants or jacket because in case of an off items dig into your body as your tumbling and cause more damage to you. On sale $69 tmd.
https://www.amazon.com/mophie-juice-pack-iPhone-600mAh/dp/B00TE8MZJS/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1493063293&sr=1-1&keywords=mophie+iphone+6+plus

Ram ball mount. I have one on every bike I own and for $17 I can mount my nav, iPhone or camera using Products. They come with mant different length screws for your triple tree or in this case on Bella the mirror stem. Shop around, I usually get them for $12. I use an Ram x-claw to hold my phone.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Held Air N Dry Gloves, they work on many levels. Slip your hand under the membranne you have air gloves for hot days. Slip your hand in the waterproof top part of the glove and my hands stay dray all day. The squeegee on the index finger is a must have. I bet it used it 1,000 times this past week. $250
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-air-n-dry-gloves

Lastly my TomTom Rider 400, I freaki'n love this thing. It pairs up to my phone, Tyre maps are so much easier (for me) to use then Garmin's basecamp. I can play my music, hear the nav and make changes on the fly. On this trip I did get some water condensation that I need to address with TomTom. We'll see how that goes...

I normally carry a dock kit that I use for hunting and m/c trips. It always ready to go but since to a fly and ride the airlines require all you liquids be in a clear plastic bag, this trip a Ziplock bag was my dock kit.

Those are my cornerstones for traveling long distance, I hope it helps someone. The only other advice I have is use moisture wicking, quick drying shirts. They  compress really small when packing, wash them in the sink and hang to dry, in the morning they're bone dry. You can do a trip carrying 2 shirts rotating. Catch the sales on leftovers from last year. Here's an example.
https://www.rei.com/product/883145/nike-cool-fitted-t-shirt-mens

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:12:09 PM by Virginian »

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
Very useful information - thanks!
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
That covers just about everything. Except the socks.

Awesome ride report. I felt like I was there the whole time.  :clap:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline olderigetfasteriam

• Motorcycles: Concours, VTR250, AT125
« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
How have I missed this thread??? I love this stuff, especially when it is you narrating. Now I have 15 pages to read!  ;)

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
And some great photos to look at.

Had to view on my phone
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline nevinfs327

• Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler; Kawasaki W650; Suzuki TU250
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
Looks like a memorable trip, even if not according to plan. Some of my most enjoyed riding in VA was the result of aborted Skyline/BRP routes due to spring weather.Thanks for the story and pics!

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing, it was a hoot to follow along with you.
IBA #37902

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
This thread has made it clear to me that SOMEONE has to develop an app that overlays real time weather radar on top of mapping apps. 

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
uh... doesn't like every Garmin GPS do that already? (granted, you have to buy up)

I think the Garmin Navigon app (which f'ing ROCKS, by the way) does it with a buy up.

In short... the buy up. :)
this signature on hold pending review

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
uh... doesn't like every Garmin GPS do that already? (granted, you have to buy up)

I think the Garmin Navigon app (which f'ing ROCKS, by the way) does it with a buy up.

Not any of the Garmins I have (granted my newest is probably 5 years old now...) . Plus, I prefer online apps because their maps are always up to date.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »
So what I'm thinking is having the live weather radar overlay on your mapping software so you can see realtime how fast the weather is moving in on your traveling position. 

Right now, I have to swap between the weather radar app and the mapping app.

Chornbe!  This is your destiny!

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2017, 10:53:48 PM »

Not any of the Garmins I have (granted my newest is probably 5 years old now...) . Plus, I prefer online apps because their maps are always up to date.

Garmin Smartphone link app gives weather radar and traffic. It's a one time fee, a few $ IIRC for some of the premium options.
Ride safe!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »

I believe the Zumo 660 or 665 was weather capable.  It cost ~$4 a month for the service.
--Tom

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
My mom got back to me in an email after an hour discussion on the phone upon my return. Again, I thought you might enjoy reading her comments.

Took me a few days because I read so slowly on monitor now, parsing out the words almost one by one.  Your discussion of the gear was very interesting, and I was impressed with how much easier it is to do long distance riding now, than it was when your Dad and I beat our way across Canada and around Newfoundland in a howling rain, unfolding and drying out all our paper maps at night in motels!  No GPS in those days, altho we did have a "river rafting bag", essentially a dry bag.  The installation on the tail looked very compact and I suppose your body right in front of it tended to keep the rain off it (although sometimes that can create a back suction that pulls rainwater IN behind you)

A couple of comments...I was surprised at the 60 mph gas mileage?  I suppose you had the throttle wide open much of the time which does suck it up.  The 23 gas stops would have been dreadful on a European tour - the damned gas stations in Europe close from 1PM to 3PM every day, and you have to search for an "automatic pump" somewhere; you shove a perfect, unwrinkled bill into a slot and tell it how much gas to dispense.  You never get it right of course, and it doesn't make change. We had long long lunches a few times, waiting for a station to open at 3PM because we got caught.

You did mention, along with all your precautions for rain, the use of Rainex on windscreen and visor.  Flip swore by the stuff, and if you haven't tried it, get some.  You wipe on a film before you leave home, when it's dry, and rainwater just beads up and streams off in the wind, leaving you with a clear visor.  Maybe Tom Tom screen too?

Re:  noise from helmet, since you spoke of that in choosing the helmet for the trip.  I found the interaction between the height of the windscreen lip,  and the helmet height (how tall you sit)  made a big difference in noise at visor.  I used an old Shoei for years for the sole reason that it had a tight visor that worked well with the windscreen on the boxer.

Re:  your waterproof backpack, which worked so well.  How did you test that out for water tightness before leaving home?  You couldn't, is the answer, and if it had leaked, what was your plan B for backpack?  You don't mention carrying a black plastic trash bag, and zip lock bags that fit electronic items. I carried a roll of the damned things, but then I didn't have a backpack at all.  The pockets in the fairing on the Boxer leaked like a sieve, UP from the bottom - front tire threw water up thru the triple tree.  I had to double Ziploc anything I put in those pockets, including my Beretta.  Ditto the damned BMW saddlebags, which also leaked.  I even had to have a kitchen size trash bag to wrap the tank bag in - the magnets worked right thru it.  Flip had a multivario of course.

Re:  underwear.  We wore Spandex bicycle shorts for the same reason.
Have you tried any of those Duluth advertised on TV - no bind, no stink, etc. ?  They might do it.  Of course there was almost nothing that fit women in those days, perhaps still.  Gloves were especially a problem.  At one point I bought in Canada, a pair of gloves that had a metal contact in palms, and a square of wire mesh that laced around the grips.  That was wired to the battery.  It worked quite well for warmth, but no adjustment;  if your hands got hot, you had to simply switch it off for awhile!  Then BMW came out with heated gloves, and I settled for them.  Could wear them in the summer by not plugging wire to cuff, and they fit a woman's hand decently - probably too short in fingers for a man because of it.  For waterproofing I even tried wearing a huge pair of rubber dishwashing gloves over them;  it worked, but really looked dreadful.  After while you don't care what you look like, it' survival as you found out this trip.  Your gloves looked like the cuffs were too short to mate at the sleeve cuff;  I prefer a glove with a cuff that will come up over the sleeve - didn't you get water in there?

The best rain gear I ever used was the yellow stuff from the boat!  Also looked like hell, but wrapped at the neck and met the helmet well, so no leaks at the neck.  Pants were long, and came down over boots to ankle, which was great too. 

Of course you will never ride this scooter in weather like that again, or take a trip that long either, but warmth seemed to be an issue this trip. Can a pigtail be brought from the battery (which is where?)  and fastened where you could plug in BMW vest and gloves?   I never left home without that vest on, winter or summer.   

'momma
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:26:42 PM by Virginian »

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
Cool mamma!
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #228 on: May 01, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »
Wise woman.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #229 on: May 01, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
If it's alright with folks I'll just post my scooter meanderings here in this thread?

Was out scoot'n around Louisa yesterday. No rain but was really windy! Love this scooter!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:15:39 PM by Virginian »

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #230 on: May 01, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »
If it's alright with folks I'll just post my scooter meanderings here in this thread?

Was out scoot'n around Louisa yesterday. No rain but was really windy! Love this scooter!

Love the removable front wheel  ;)
IBA #37902

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:20:39 PM by Virginian »

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »
My personalized plate come in!  :banana: :chili:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
Pretty and spiffy.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2017, 09:06:43 PM »
Isn't it "Ciao". Maybe I am missing something and sorry to rain on an otherwise awesome thread.

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
Isn't it "Ciao". Maybe I am missing something and sorry to rain on an otherwise awesome thread.

Nope, you didn't miss a thing. The lady at DMV in Mineral is like 80 years old. She miss understood and that's what she came up with. Lol. I went back and they refunded the cost and ordered C1AO and it's in the mail as CIAO was already taken. Suppose I should have posted that one when it comes but thought it got the point across.

« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »

Nope, you didn't miss a thing. The lady at DMV in Mineral is like 80 years old. She miss understood and that's what she came up with. Lol. I went back and they refunded the cost and ordered C1AO and it's in the mail as CIAO was already taken. Suppose I should have posted that one when it comes but thought it got the point across.

Sort of makes it more awesome.... lol.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2017, 03:44:57 AM »

Sort of makes it more awesome.... lol.

yup-keep the misspelled one. Much better.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »
I'm in the process of resurrecting some of my threads after the photobucket debacle. There were too many great photos of bikes from the museum not to archive this thread properly.

Eric

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »
I've enjoyed it immensely so far. I can wait.

Ralph Waldo Emerson