Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grrr...OEM Triumph Heated Grips problems  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Grrr...OEM Triumph Heated Grips problems
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
I purchased the OEM Triumph heated grips for my new to me Tiger 800.

Everything is on the bike and hooked up, but when I push the button, there's no light and no heat.  Testing the plug on the bike shows power to it, and the fuse is good.  The problem is in the grips somewhere.  There's a relay,  subharness that connects to the relay, the switch harness and each grip harness.

I'm not sure how to go about trouble shooting this at this point. 

Can someone answer these quesions?

1., If the grip harness is damaged, should the switch light up?
2.  Is there a way to bypass the relay to see if the switch is working?
3.  Is there a way to bypass the switch and see if the grips are working?

Argh.  New should work out of the box.  Btw, I suspect the relay, but I just don't have a replacement relay. :(

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: Grrr...OEM Triumph Heated Grips problems
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »
One update:

If I jumper across the relay plug (ie jumper across to bypass the relay switch), it lights up the switch correctly. Do I assume it's the relay then?

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
Double check to be sure they are wired correctly. When I installed theKTM ones I accidentally hooked both wires to one grip to - and the other grip both to +.  :-[
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
The wiring of the grips are good.  Everything has a separate subharness.  I think there's a switched power wire that's not in the circuit, to activate the relay.  Just don't know for sure.  Is blue usually switched power?1

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
Usually with something like this the switch provides low current power to the relay trigger, and the relay is what applies full current power to the grips. If the switch could reliably pass full current draw to the accessory there would be no need for the relay.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
Usually with something like this the switch provides low current power to the relay trigger, and the relay is what applies full current power to the grips. If the switch could reliably pass full current draw to the accessory there would be no need for the relay.

So here's the weird part:

The socket on the bike harness has a Purple and Black lead.  It's a 3 pin connector.   The subharness with the kit has 3 leads to the corresponding plug.  Blue Purple and Black.  The relay socket only has 3 wires Blue, Purple and Black.

I'm second owner of this bike and the previous guy had put on (very nice) LED running lights.  I'm thinking he poached the blue wire out of the heated grips socket, so that the driving lights had switched power.

I'm further guessing that the relay is there only to make the fused heated grip circuit active when the bike is in the on position and that the power to the switch is parallel to the grips.

I just don't know if blue is switched power on the Triumph.  (I'm guessing so). 

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 06:04:42 AM »
Update 2:

Digging around, I can see a blue wire spliced to a white wire, which is DEFINITELY not OEM wiring.  Guess there's my answer.  ???

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
Resolved (with pictures):

I took off the trim pieces and could just reach the wire that was clipped from the plug, to supply switched power to the driving lights.  The connector was barely attached and pulled off when I tried to disconnect it:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

From there, I had to get some sort of connector on that little nubbin (up under the tank).  I finally was able to put just a butt splice on it.

From there, I made a little harness so that the little blue nubbin could supply the driving lights AND the heated grips:

This splice was soldered  and tightly wrapped.

Everything hooked back up and everything working now :)

Thus ends the mystery.

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
 Good to see you figured it out.

So here's the weird part:

The socket on the bike harness has a Purple and Black lead.  It's a 3 pin connector.   The subharness with the kit has 3 leads to the corresponding plug.  Blue Purple and Black.  The relay socket only has 3 wires Blue, Purple and Black.

I'm second owner of this bike and the previous guy had put on (very nice) LED running lights.  I'm thinking he poached the blue wire out of the heated grips socket, so that the driving lights had switched power.

I'm further guessing that the relay is there only to make the fused heated grip circuit active when the bike is in the on position and that the power to the switch is parallel to the grips.

I just don't know if blue is switched power on the Triumph.  (I'm guessing so). 

Get yourself a multimeter, and there will be no guessing required. I have a HF meter that they give you for free with any purchase. Keep it on the VFR at all times. If something happens to it no big loss.

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
There is something to be said for buying new.  Maybe one day I'll find out.  :D

Dewey used to say they should require background checks on tool purchases!  :lol:
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:24:23 PM »
You know, here's the thing:  The lights were otherwise installed very nicely.  Very tidy.  It's like the guy who put them  on had no idea what options were available to tap into switched power. 

If it were me, I'd have just made a 3 wire to 3 wire and separate spare blue wire adaptor and plugged into the spare slot (Blue, Purple, Black to Blue and then Blue Purple Black).  That way, the there's no cut wires and just one more waterproof socket instead of the bodged blade and clip connectors.

Sheesh!

M. Brane:  The Multimeter is how I figured out the socket was correct one (ie wired to the heated grips fuse).  I just didn't know if the standard socket had 3 or 2 wires.

If I'm ever really down into the frame, I'll probably clean that mess up with a 4 pin plug arrangement.