Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (re)learning guitar  (Read 16944 times)

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
(re)learning guitar
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »
I played guitar many years ago. I was never "great", but I could play OK. I've been wanting to pick up an acoustic for some time, as making music is good for one's soul :). So, I picked up a Yamaha F335 at a great price. This one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-F335-Acoustic-Guitar-102919487-i1166364.gc

Originally $359, on sale for $159, and they had one with a little ding on it, and I got it for $99. Nothing fancy, but it plays well and sounds nice for the price.

Moving on to my question - I need some good online resources to start learning all over again, cause I don't remember much besides my basic chords and blues scales etc. Any tips?

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Led Rider LED Motorcycle Aux Lights - Use discount code "STO15"

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
Re: (re)learning guitar
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »
 I don't think I've ever played a Yammie, and thought it sucked. Even the cheapies are a good value.

I learned how to play by just playing along with whatever I was listening to at the time. I've taken lessons twice. Once when I first started, and again about 20 years ago when I was stuck in a rut. Probably one of the best, and most difficult things I ever did was to learn proper technique. I started out with some bad fingering/picking habits which were hard to break. Once that was corrected my playing improved considerably. Learning a bit of music theory is always good. I know just enough to kinda know what I'm doing. Theory is better learned on a keyboard for most. It's harder to visualize on the guitar with all the notes mixed up.

I haven't been playing much the last few years. Trying to get some of my mojo back lately. It's a slow process. The brain still knows what to do, but the fingers say fuck you.

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
I don't think I've ever played a Yammie, and thought it sucked. Even the cheapies are a good value.

I learned how to play by just playing along with whatever I was listening to at the time. I've taken lessons twice. Once when I first started, and again about 20 years ago when I was stuck in a rut. Probably one of the best, and most difficult things I ever did was to learn proper technique. I started out with some bad fingering/picking habits which were hard to break. Once that was corrected my playing improved considerably. Learning a bit of music theory is always good. I know just enough to kinda know what I'm doing. Theory is better learned on a keyboard for most. It's harder to visualize on the guitar with all the notes mixed up.

I haven't been playing much the last few years. Trying to get some of my mojo back lately. It's a slow process. The brain still knows what to do, but the fingers say fuck you.

I take it as a good thing that I have forgotten most of what I "knew" before, since what I knew was probably as you said, bad technique. This time around hopefully I can start with good technique.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
Youtube?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »
Justinguitar is supposed to be a real good resource. I think I learned quite a bit from my lessons but that always depends on the player, instructor, and the goals.

I like Rocksmith as an intro and think it helps greatly with motivation. Rocksmith 2014 has a lot more to it from Session Mode where you can jam to lots of interactive lessons (as in when you take the slides lesson, you play in game and it tells you if you have it or not and continues until you do).

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
Justinguitar is supposed to be a real good resource. I think I learned quite a bit from my lessons but that always depends on the player, instructor, and the goals.

I like Rocksmith as an intro and think it helps greatly with motivation. Rocksmith 2014 has a lot more to it from Session Mode where you can jam to lots of interactive lessons (as in when you take the slides lesson, you play in game and it tells you if you have it or not and continues until you do).

Carl

Thanks Carl. Justinguitar looks like a great starting place, and somehow seems appropriate :)

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:49:49 AM »
Ouch. Day one and my fingers hurt. Up to fast chord changes :). That's my practice for the next few days, getting down to 1 second chord changes. justinguitar is really great, it's like having your own teacher there with you. I'll be making a donation to him.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »
Ouch. Day one and my fingers hurt.

Take your time building up callouses and finger strength. When I started playing in a band again, about a year ago (after nearly a decade of not playing), I was over-practicing to the point of tendonitis and having the tissue under my fingertips be super tender (bruised I guess). That sucked as I still had practice and gigs to deal with. Ibuprofin was my friend. Warm up slowly and do some finger stretches.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
I've been saying for the longest I wanted to learn to play Guitar...perhaps now is a good time...

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
Warm up slowly and do some finger stretches.

+1

When it starts to hurt take a break, and do some stretches.

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
Yup, not overdoing it. When it stops being fun, it's time to put it down :)

Amazing how quick things are starting to come back. I guess I still have some muscle memory from way back. After a few short practice sessions with chord changes, I'm up to about 45 a minute. I'm keeping on that until I get it up to 60, before moving on to the next lesson.

Offline phoenix

• Motorcycles: CBR600RR, KX250F
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
YouTube: Danny Gill, Marty Schwartz are 2 guys I watch often. Been taking lessons for 3 years now? YouTube is a good resource, but is not interactive and can not help you through the hard parts with suggestions and corrections.

My wife and daughter tire of some of the songs I practice. I think that means I practice often enough at least.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Yea, that's what lessons _can_ offer. My instructor really didn't verify my work. He expected tat since I was paying for it, I _would_ practice.

That's also why I suggested Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014. It's a good motivational tool. You get almost 1,000 arrangements (lead, rythym, and bass), lots of different tones, amps, and even a Session mode where you pay with up to 4 AIs.

Electric guitar though.

Carl

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »
Yea, that's what lessons _can_ offer. My instructor really didn't verify my work. He expected tat since I was paying for it, I _would_ practice.

That's also why I suggested Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014. It's a good motivational tool. You get almost 1,000 arrangements (lead, rythym, and bass), lots of different tones, amps, and even a Session mode where you pay with up to 4 AIs.

Electric guitar though.

Carl

I do have an electric too now. My son re-gifted his to me, since he doesn't play it. He still plays the bass though. Nothing fancy, just an Epiphone special II. Actually plays pretty decent for a cheap guitar and stays in tune. I will eventually get Rocksmith. I wanted to wait till I learned good technique before doing that though.

Offline Loki

• Motorcycles: Hondas
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
Just installed Rocksmith 2014, after setup and getting things hooked up correctly. I did the PC version so I can bring everything with me when I travel for work.

Wow, did I forget how much my fingers hurt after some time practicing.

I like it so far. even shows you where and how to hold your fingers.

L;
I'm lucky that in my life, I've mostly gotten away with stupid.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »
You have to watch too though. It shows you the correct fingers for the chord without consideration of the next chord. So Easy Come, Easy Go has the right fingers for the three chords but in reality there's a better way. Use the index finger as an anchor for the E chord, slide index to fret 2 for the next chord, then swing ring around maintaining the anchor for the third chord. Slide back for the E choud again swingng the 2nd and 3rd back to the seconf frets.

There are a few songs like that. That's just the most recent example.

And drop in at the ubisoft forums if you need help. We're all pretty helpful. :)

Carl

Offline Loki

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »
Thanks, I will.

It has been 34 years since I put the guitar down for the drums...since the area next to the piano is empty now...I got permission from, She who must be obeyed, to finally fill the spot with a stool, stand and a Fender American Strat.

I have plans to take some lessons from some guys I work with. Free lessons are ok.

L;

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:05 AM »
Does Rocksmith come in a PC version?  I thought it was mac only.  If so, I might have to check it out...
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »
Does Rocksmith come in a PC version?  I thought it was mac only.  If so, I might have to check it out...

According to the website they have a PC version. I might have to check it out, only $79 bux including the cable.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »
Heh, it's actually a PC and Mac version. The only problem on the Mac side is you can't play the original Rocksmith however all the DLC and a majority of the original content is transferrable. Unfortunately you do need to own RS1 in order to transfer the original DLC. Steam/Ubisoft issue going on.

Steam won't let you buy DLC for a game you don't own. Probably saves them a bunch of hassle. But it means that even though the original DLC is compatible with the new game, you can't get it unless you have the original game.

I do have a wiki with some info including track listings if you want to poke about. I'm currently snagging a list of all the gear (have that) and all the possible settings (all but about half the cabinets). Once I get that, I can associate the gear with the song tones and capture settings so I can repeat the settings outside the game.

I recently purchased a Chorus pedal, which sounds great especially when playing "No Rain".

http://rocksmith.schelin.org/wiki

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 12:59:42 PM »
Heh, it's actually a PC and Mac version. The only problem on the Mac side is you can't play the original Rocksmith

Yeah, it was nice to pull in all the songs from the original and have those available.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »
I guess I always thought rocksmith was a mac-only game!  What an idiot!

I need to get this once I get the computer issues sorted and up and running.
Let's do some science.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:35 PM »
I'm playing it on Xbox.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
Yea, XBox360 and PS3 were the original platforms with an expectation that a PC version was coming. It had been delayed until Christmas 2011 then May 2012 until it finally arrived I think in October of 2012. The Bass expansion arrived I think in August 2012.

RS2014 was released to the XBox360, PS3, PC and Mac on Oct 22nd last year.

At the moment, they have no plans for Xbone or PS4 although I'm sure they're considering it somehow. One problem I was hearing was that Analog was dropped from the Xbone which was a problem but I can't be 100% sure that's the problem.

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »
If analog was dropped, then that's a problem. It's pretty well unplayable if you're not going through analog sound.

Also, just found out tonight that you could go above 100% on a song.

Offline Loki

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 12:21:16 AM »
Game stop, PC version $49.95.......2014.

Gawd do my fingers hurt , did my second lesson....I picked rhythm instead of lead.

Will try to get thru both sides....if that's possible.

Best $50 I have spent in a long time.

L;

Offline Loki

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 12:23:44 AM »
Heh, it's actually a PC and Mac version. The only problem on the Mac side is you can't play the original Rocksmith

Yeah, it was nice to pull in all the songs from the original and have those available.

How did you do that? I haven't dug in deep enough I guess.

L;

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
If analog was dropped, then that's a problem. It's pretty well unplayable if you're not going through analog sound.

Also, just found out tonight that you could go above 100% on a song.

Yea, I have several above 100%. If you're playing Rocksmith, you might checkout Rocksmith Buddy (http://rsevolve.com). You have to manually enter your points but you get a total score vs the individual leaderboards for the songs.

Here is my Original Rocksmith score graphic:

And my current Rocksmith 2014 score graphic:

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:01 AM »

L;

You have to own the original Rocksmith of course. Then there's a $10 transfer tool available which converts or at least authorizes you to use the converted songs.

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »

L;

You have to own the original Rocksmith of course. Then there's a $10 transfer tool available which converts or at least authorizes you to use the converted songs.

Carl

Yeah, when I first loaded up 2014 it detected the save from the original and went ahead and gave me the option to download.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:46:12 AM »
Game stop, PC version $49.95.......2014.

Gawd do my fingers hurt , did my second lesson....I picked rhythm instead of lead.

Will try to get thru both sides....if that's possible.

Best $50 I have spent in a long time.

L;

I must do this.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Let's do some science.

Offline Loki

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
finally up to learning some songs, well one... for my first song...Tom Petty, Last chance for Mary Jane...

I like the tones... as you progress you get to program your sounds like an amp and foot peddle.

I really need to buy one of each..

Still loving this.

Hey Clay, the next time I am over there, I will bring my laptop and show you the program.

L;

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
I did a Bass video of Jessie's Girl. It's just me though playing Bass, you can hear Rocksmith though :)

Carl

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »
finally up to learning some songs, well one... for my first song...Tom Petty, Last chance for Mary Jane...

I like the tones... as you progress you get to program your sounds like an amp and foot peddle.

I really need to buy one of each..

Still loving this.

Hey Clay, the next time I am over there, I will bring my laptop and show you the program.

L;

I hope to buy it in the next couple weeks!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Let's do some science.

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »
I did a Bass video of Jessie's Girl. It's just me though playing Bass, you can hear Rocksmith though :)

Carl

Every cover band I've ever worked with has a bit of an Andy Kaufman moment for the bass during the verse on that song.  :lol:
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »

Carl

Every cover band I've ever worked with has a bit of an Andy Kaufman moment for the bass during the verse on that song.  :lol:

While I know who he is, I don't get the reference. More info?

Carl

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »

For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
http://youtu.be/kGx94VPb8V8

Ahh, so I should have a soda or something ready for the verse. Got it :D

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »
On a related note, I'm starting a 6 week rock camp tonight. We'll be matched up with others in to a band, after which we have to pick our set list, promote our band, and after the 6 weeks is up compete in a battle of the bands. Should be fun.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Excellent! You need to list out the details. I did a quickie 1 week camp where I did learn a bit but a 6 week with a battle of the bands would be even more interesting.

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
I'll definitely post up more once we get rolling. I remember your write up of the 1 week.

This will be 6 weeks, for sure 2 hours every Tuesday with the band. Tonight we'll have a skills assessment and then be placed in our band and assigned a coach.

I already have 11 potential songs picked out.  Hope the band is ok with that. :redface:

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
Do you have a pointer to the site where you signed up?

Curious Carl is Curious :)

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »
http://www.carpeartista.com/juke-box-hero-adults

I just noticed that they're pairing this up with a photography class, so each band will have their own photographer to record the journey.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
Looks good. You getting the whole package? And what instrument, bass, guitar? :)

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
Nah, I didn't really need a bunch of the extras. Going for guitar, and just found out that I am the sole guitarist for the band. We'll be performing Travellin Band, Summertime Blues, Sharp Dressed Man, and Stay With Me.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 07:01:16 AM »
I don't recognize Travellin Band but the others I do.

Only guitarist eh? I saw they had 'auditions' to see what level you were. What level are you (I guess that means you're the only (beginner|intermediate) guitarist who applied, eh? :) )

I'd like to attend something like that. We didn't do a Battle of the Bands but we also did it for a week vs 1 night a week for 6 weeks. I think that would work better since you have time to practice and get better. I do have to say that I did learn a bit from the experience.

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:06 AM »
I don't recognize Travellin Band but the others I do.

Only guitarist eh? I saw they had 'auditions' to see what level you were. What level are you (I guess that means you're the only (beginner|intermediate) guitarist who applied, eh? :) )

They did not audition, which sort of caught me by surprise. As far as that goes, I've known chords and could bang out rhythm for years. Lead will be new to me, but so far I haven't heard anything that will cause me too much trouble.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
If anyone feels inclined to help me win this competition, please like my band on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/JackedUpNashville

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Done.  Good luck!
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
I'm not sure why 'liking' your band helps you win but I'm in. Which one are you?

Carl