Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Soda Stream? What says the collective.  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: Soda Stream? What says the collective.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:35 AM »
What about flavorings? If you are trying to cut sugars, can you just add fruit juice?

My wife likes to had lemon and lime juice sometimes.  I prefer just the carbonated water.  Sodastream has flavored water mixes besides various sodas (I really liked their ginger ale).

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
What about flavorings? If you are trying to cut sugars, can you just add fruit juice?
Fruit juice is usually loaded with sugar.  Better to use non-sugar sweetener(s).

I'm in the process of shopping for a DIY system to carbonate water / make soda.

SodaStream is the best known home water carbonator, but it's also the most expensive to buy and to use; their CO2 tanks are proprietary and exchanging them is hella expensive.  Similar for their flavorings.
All you really need is a CO2 tank (available in many sizes), a pressure regulator and a way to connect the CO2 to a bottle/container.  There are many ways to do this.
CO2 is cheaper per oz when filling bigger tanks, but bigger tanks cost quite a bit more.   Tanks need to be hydro tested every 5 yrs to be refilled.
There are MANY regulators being sold online that are flow regulators and not pressure regulators.  You either need to buy a regulator that connects to your tank or buy an adapter (make sure one exists before buying tank or regulator).
To connect the regulated CO2 to a bottle/container;
Put a schrader  valve in a bottle cap.  Use any bottles that can hold pressure.
Buy a 'carbonator cap' that has a quick-disconnect fitting and threads onto a soda bottle.
Buy/adapt a replacement water filter housing.

Flavoring options run from buying gallons of real coke/pepsi syrup at Sams/Costco, use/adapt snocone flavorings (many sites sell sample sizes) to making your own syrup from extracts and spices.  There are many recipes online.  You can buy caffeine and citric acid powders on amazon.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
I just ordered the carbonation cap.  With my keg setup that's the only thing I needed to make my own!  This should be fun...
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 03:52:02 AM »
I just ordered the carbonation cap.  With my keg setup that's the only thing I needed to make my own!  This should be fun...

I have everything in order but the tank. We need to pay a few bills before laying out the initial $80 for the tank and fill from the local airgas place.
Stripes' posts here ↓↓↓↓

Online CLAY

• Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:57 AM »

I have everything in order but the tank. We need to pay a few bills before laying out the initial $80 for the tank and fill from the local airgas place.

Watch your local Craigslist- I got my LARGE CO2 tank for $15 empty.  It costs like $10 or something to fill, and it's lasted 3 years so far.  Right now on mine there's a full 5lb tank for $60.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »
We approve.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
Been watching Craigslist. Not a lot there.
Stripes' posts here ↓↓↓↓

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
Watch your local Craigslist- I got my LARGE CO2 tank for $15 empty.  It costs like $10 or something to fill, and it's lasted 3 years so far.  Right now on mine there's a full 5lb tank for $60.
If buying used, be aware that the tanks need to be certified with a hydro test every 5 yrs (to be refilled).
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online CLAY

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »
Got my lid.  Just made some lemon water. 

I need to play with this more with the boy.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
I got one as a gift a couple of Christmases ago. It was neat, and fun, for a little while. But we got tired of having to make the soda all the time. And at the time, it was a little costly to buy their flavors.

Now it's just collecting dust in a cabinet somewhere.

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
Ordered the regulator last Monday. It still hasn't shipped.
Stripes' posts here ↓↓↓↓

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 02:16:07 PM »
I got one as a gift a couple of Christmases ago. It was neat, and fun, for a little while. But we got tired of having to make the soda all the time. And at the time, it was a little costly to buy their flavors.

Now it's just collecting dust in a cabinet somewhere.

^^this.
but I may be bringing it out of retirement since I can't have sodas any more, but maybe soda stream.... won't know til I make some...  it's been a few years.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 12:01:33 AM »
We're big on "bubble water" and rely on Soda Stream to keep our habit going while cruising, on our boat, to the Bahamas. We load up with a couple/three tanks, which last for the trip. We use filtered water (in-line filter - water quality varies widely from one watering point to another) and the results are fine. We experimented with flavoring and didn't find anything we liked. Instead, we make up, for example, some Crystal Light Lemonade (no room for that many lemons!) and add some "bubble water" to it. Works a treat. IMHO cola flavoring , etc. is a cruel joke at best - yech.

Under no circumstances should the bottles go through the dishwasher!!! Hand wash as needed and change the bottles out after a solid year's use.  :bigok:
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 08:09:14 AM »
The contraption is all set up and functioning.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Any tips and tricks?

So far the only flavor we've used is a bit of lime or lemon busted up in the bottom of the glass.
Stripes' posts here ↓↓↓↓

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:01 PM »
Have you checked the delivery pressure from a real Soda Stream? Or is that an adapter to put the tank into a Soda Stream? I've never seen it done, but I know of at least one person who has one set up.

In general, I'd be very nervous about getting the pressure above the machine's delivery pressure.

As I'm pretty sure I posted, IMHO Soda Stream flavors are a waste of time. At least I've never had one I'd go back to.  :thumbsdown:
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?