Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Washington, DC visitors advice for my Son and I.  (Read 16815 times)

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
Washington, DC visitors advice for my Son and I.
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:55:47 AM »
So, my Son is graduating HS this year. And, he's a HUGE NBA fan. He plays bball at school, and is generally nutso about the game Mr. Naismith invented.

What I was thinking is to take in a game in April, his birthday is in April, so that's a bonus.

I'm looking at the Heat Vs. Wizards game on the 14th, because he loves Miami. AND, I'd like to double up and do a few touristy things like going to the Smithsonian, and the other attractions downtown, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Washington Monument, etc.

What I'm wondering is some general advice for those who live in DC or nearby as to what to do, and what not to do, where to stay, where not to stay, etc.

Probably fly in the day before the game, hotel and rental car already booked, hit the National Mall on game day, the Smithsonian the day after, and because it's so freaking huge, and I have no idea how huge, I'm sure it's impossible to see in a day, etc. Probably have to go twice to see a reasonable amount of it I'm guessing.

Which is why I'm asking for advice.

Not looking for 5 star accommodations, just something clean and safe, and hopefully not incredibly expensive. Being relatively close to downtown is a plus, and not right next to two crackhouses would be even better.

So we might be staying for about 5 days total I think. Not sure really. It's so early in the planning stages right now that I don't even have a handle on any more details than that. Just barely scratching the surface on flights and game tickets, haven't filled in any other blanks yet.

Help me EOE!

Oh yeah, and since it doesn't exist without pics, he's the one on the left.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
Re: Washington, DC visitors advice for my Son and I.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »
Felicia and I were just there for 6 days in September.  We stayed at the DuPont.  Probably not what you are looking for, but NICE!  :)

The Smithsonian is HUGE.  We took a day for each.  Air & Space was my favorite.  Lots of great restaurants and it was very safe feeling wandering around at night.  I carry everywhere, but I never felt I would have been lost without it.  At least in that area.  The Metro was VERY clean and easy to use.  Highly recommend it.  The stations all had that high ceiling European feel to them.

Us at Morton's Steakhouse on the patio:

And us on the National Mall with the Capitol in the background:

~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:14:56 AM »
Nice joint, and definitely above budget. I'm thinking Hampton Inn sort of accommodations, that kind of ballpark.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:13:51 AM »
I lived in the DC area for over 30 years so it's hard to offer hotel advice. I did stay at the Embassy Suites in Crystal City for a few days but it was a special occasion.

The best advice is to find one close to a metro stop and take it into DC. It's much better than navigating DC traffic.

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:57:01 AM »
Last time we went we stayed in Bethesda and the Metro rail station was under our hotel.  Much cheaper and more convenient than trying to drive around DC. 

I'd skip the car rental and use public transit.  then just pick a spot on the line to stay and call it a day.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »
I lived in the DC area for over 30 years so it's hard to offer hotel advice. I did stay at the Embassy Suites in Crystal City for a few days but it was a special occasion.

The best advice is to find one close to a metro stop and take it into DC. It's much better than navigating DC traffic.

Carl

This.  I have been there leading students 8 times now I think.  This is generally where we stay:
http://www.wytestonesuiteswoodbridge.com/

It's a ways out, but much cheaper than staying downtown. 

I would rank places to visit in this order:

Air and Space
American History
Archives (Constitution and Declaration- get there early!)
Arlington (get a tourmobile ticket so you can hit the highlights quicker.  If you have time, walk.  It's very moving to reflect on the number of lives lost to war)
National Cathedral (if you can get out- and get a docent guided tour)
Natural History

That's about 3 days worth right there if you are a reader. 

To echo a few comments, the Metro is cheap, safe, and clean.  They also have the Circulator busses which also are cheap, safe, and clean and run regular routes.  Public Transportation is awesome in DC.  If you are a seafood fan go down to the waterfront- it's where many of the locals eat in the open-air market/restaurants.

If the link below would have embedded it would have show this map for food:  http://goo.gl/maps/stm6y

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=district of columbia&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Washington, District of Columbia&amp;gl=us&amp;t=h&amp;ll=38.881032,-77.028202&amp;spn=0.000731,0.00114&amp;z=19&amp;iwloc=A&amp;output=embed"></iframe>
<small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=district of columbia&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Washington, District of Columbia&amp;gl=us&amp;t=h&amp;ll=38.881032,-77.028202&amp;spn=0.000731,0.00114&amp;z=19&amp;iwloc=A&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map[/url]</small>
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
We drove down and stayed at the Courtyard in Reston and rode the Metro into town.  Veeerrry nice hotel.  You really don't want to drive into DC.  It's just stupid jammed up on the slabs.

And,  :withstupid:  hit his list of stuff and be prepared to spend lots of time.
--Tom

Online MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
Last time we went we stayed in Bethesda and the Metro rail station was under our hotel.  Much cheaper and more convenient than trying to drive around DC. 

I'd skip the car rental and use public transit.  then just pick a spot on the line to stay and call it a day.

It was the Hyatt Regency Bethesda and it's right on the Red Line. (Doors open on the right.)

When I have to travel to Alexandria, VA for business, I stay at the Embassy Suites on Diagonal Road in Old Town Alexandria, which is across the street from the King Street Station on the Yellow and Blue Lines. Embassy offers hot breakfast included in the price of your stay and there's a Whole Foods across the street where you can snag drinks and snacks. If you fly into Reagan National, it's a quick Metro ride to the hotel (just two stops). You can avoid renting a car and driving in the chaos that is DC traffic!
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »
What I'm wondering is some general advice for those who live in DC or nearby as to what to do, and what not to do, where to stay, where not to stay, etc.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

If you don't want to spring for a hotel right in DC (and there are some nice places, but very pricey), my suggestion would be to stay somewhere along the Metro lines in either Virginia just west of DC or Maryland just north of it.  For Virginia, in addition to Crystal City (which is on the Metro's Blue/Yellow Line) check for hotels on the Metro's Orange Line near the Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, Ballston and Falls Church stops; or south on the Blue/Yellow line around Pentagon City or Old Town Alexandria.

In Maryland, places northwest along the Red Line should be fine.  Don't stay in Maryland east or south of DC (basically avoid PG county entirely).  Avoid the Green Line or the Blue/Orange line eastward.  Safety-wise generally Northwest DC and the 'touristy' areas are 'okay'. SW around the immediate area of the new baseball stadium is getting quite gentrified.  NE, SE and SW other than the stadium area I wouldn't recommend.

Lemme know when you'all are in town - would be glad to hook up for a beer.

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »
Very interesting advice about the car Vs. transit thing. I would not have thought of that.

I've driven in a few big cities, Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, but never been to DC at all.

So if the word is that the Metro is the way to go, I'll look for accommodations there.

I have some googling to do.

Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
The Metro was awesome.  Clean stations and trains, very easy to use, and the trains ran often and were huge.  10-12 cars each time.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
US Patent & Trademark Office Museum

Hirshhorn and National Portrait Galleries

National Museum of the American Indian

I dig museums!

The train station in the middle of down town is a great place to stop for some quick chow in teh middle of the day . . . . . and a glorious example of what train stations should be ;-}
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:45:38 AM by bomber »
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
Yea, living in Denver now it's a whole different experience than DC. Seriously do not drive if you don't have to. I laugh at the folks who complain about the traffic here :D

People get to work at 5:30am (me for one when I worked downtown) just to beat the snarls. On the weekends and in the evening, traffic is so bad that it's like rush hour. If you didn't get out before 8am (weekends), you basically aren't going anywhere for a while.

Fly in, metro to a hotel, metro to DC to tour, metro back to the hotel, and then metro to the airport. Significantly reduce stress.

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
The trraing station in the middle of down town is a great place to stop for some quick chow in teh middle of the day . . . . . and a glorious example of what train stations should be ;-}

Yes- another great place to eat.  It is a perfect example of what a train station should be. 
Let's do some science.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 09:37:53 AM »
US Patent & Trademark Office Museum

Hirshhorn and National Portrait Galleries

National Museum of the American Indian

I dig museums!

The trraing station in the middle of down town is a great place to stop for some quick chow in teh middle of the day . . . . . and a glorious example of what train stations should be ;-}

Museum of Crime & Punishment was cool.  I enjoyed that one.
~Dan

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
There are fabulous small restaurants all over the Capital Hill area.  Research a bit ahead of time and try to hit a couple of them.   Prices are quite reasonable too.

I agree with everyone else.  The Metro system is very good.  You can get to most anywhere you'd like to go on them.  Find a hotel near or directly on one of the lines.

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:41:26 AM »
Flights and hotels booked. Leaving 10/4/14 and returning 15/4/14

Flying into Reagan, staying at the nearby Radisson, Wizards/Heat game tickets bought (ouch).

Now to figure where to go each day, and what best to see on the 11/12/13th (game day is the 14th).

Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »
Spy museum is fun too. 

I'm not actually bothered by driving in DC.  I usually go down on a weekend, find street parking as long as you're prepared to walk a bit or find a garage as long as you're prepared to pay a bit and
be done with it.  It's mostly grid so once you figure out the pattern of one way streets, it's not horrible.  I suppose the underpasses and river/bridge thing could create a bit of a snag as a wrong turn
could make for a convoluted detour...  Yeah, you should just metro.  :)
Lots of street vendors to add some flavor to your walks.  Be prepared to pay dearly for food cart lunch including water. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »
Good luck on your vacation, I love DC and most of the museums are free. The one thing I remember most out of all the times I have been there is when I went to the Holocaust museum. It was amazing and will certainly make you appreciate what you have.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
I believe you said early April?

Check when the Cherry Blossom festival is this year - that sounds about right?

If it is that week you are planning there will be great beauty destroyed by huge crowds and high prices.

DC is a greta place to visit adn a perfect metro/walking city

For 3 days = car not necessary.
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »
Jus found it - try to avoind this period if possible:
http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 12:18:48 AM »
Ohh, I did not know that.

Unf, flights and hotels are already booked, so our dates are now cast.

I guess we'll have to ignore the tree looking festival goers as much as possible.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 06:23:12 AM »
Ohh, I did not know that.

Unf, flights and hotels are already booked, so our dates are now cast.

I guess we'll have to ignore the tree looking festival goers as much as possible.

Went to school at GW so I spent a fair amount of time in DC.  One year Kim and I were down there on our mt bikes tooling around during the cherry blossoms.  Pretty sure we stumbled upon a couple (like 30) tour busses full of Japanese tourists.  We were getting very frustrated and going nowhere so we jumped off the path and onto the grass and took off.  We were jumping roots and having a pretty good time in general.  There were people laying in the grass that got a little freaked out when we'd zip by their heads.  At one point someone stepped in front of us and I had to swerve left which put my in the path of some guys head.  Luckily he didn't see me coming so he didn't have time to jump up as I bunny hopped over his head/chest.  I felt pretty bad afterward but we kept going then started giggling like little girls thinking about how that story would be told when he got home.  Ooopsie. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »
We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Silver Springs.  Inexpensive, and just a 30 min rail trip from DC.

For any US folks thinking about this, you need to reach your congressmen prior to your visit to secure White House tickets.  You don't just walk up for a tour.
IBA: 63413

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 10:13:21 PM »
Apparently I can contact the Canadian Embassy in DC about getting on the White House Tour.

Ima do that tomorrow.  :-)

Wish me luck.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
Apparently I can contact the Canadian Embassy in DC about getting on the White House Tour.

Ima do that tomorrow.  :-)

Wish me luck.

Oh that's cool!
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
Garg, I forgot until just now, and got slammed by the 2 hour time difference. Embassy closes at 6 PM EST.

Blah.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
Garg, I forgot until just now, and got slammed by the 2 hour time difference. Embassy closes at 6 PM EST.

Blah.

Called the embassy, apparently the White House tours are not available at this time. Full stop.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
Wasn't that part of the whole sequestration shenanigans?

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »
Wasn't that part of the whole sequestration shenanigans?

I have No Eye Deer.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 12:54:45 AM »
Thread resurrection.

I'm going to reread the suggestions proffered thus far, and am still looking for more.

To give you an idea of what I have loosely figured, and it's pretty thin at the moment, here we go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arriving Thursday, April 10, 8:48 PM at Reagan airport, check into Radisson hotel near Reagan airport.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, April 11: probably begin at the Smithsonian Castle early in the morning, they open at 8:30, and see what's on offer. Get some paper maps/guides/schedules and head off to whatever we like.

I have the Smithsonian app on my iphone and ipad both, as well as the DC Metro App, to help us get places.

IMAX movie, I'm liking Jerusalem 3d @ 11:20, can't get tickets right now, ticket service offline temporarily, will do later.

Lunch, dinner suggestions welcomed.

Other than that, we'll be cruising as many of the Smithsonian museums downtown as we can reasonably do during that morning and afternoon.
If that means 1, then so be it, there's always tomorrow. If we can hit two, great. But no rush. Depends on how things evolve, and we can be flexible around the IMAX times.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Capitals Vs Blackhawks at the Verizon center, 7:00 PM tickets bought and in hand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, April 12: I know, it sounds really cheesy-touristy, but I'm considering the Segway day tour which takes you to almost all the major monuments and buildings downtown.
Benefit: my ankle with the Ti rod doesn't like distances, and my son just seriously tore up his ankle playing B-ball a month ago, and is still undergoing therapy. He's walking OK, but long distances may be challenging. This could give us an opportunity to rest. Plus, we don't have to "find our way around" and can get the lay of the land from behind a tour guide who knows all the ropes.

I'd do the one in the morning, then if we want to backtrack to one or two of the monuments or attractions on foot, and check them out more closely, or stay longer, we can.

Tripadvisor.com has a nearly universally excellent rating for the SegWay tour, hmmmm.

Lunch/dinner suggestions welcome for Saturday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, April 13:

The Holocaust memorial museum looks like a good option for this day. OOh, looks like the online free passes are not available through to June 20. Dang.
Have to line up on site before 10 am and take our chances on getting a same-day pass.

Not sure yet what to do the last half of Sunday, suggestions?

(looking at the Einstein planetarium for the rest of the day perhaps)

Monday, April 14th.

Need ideas for Monday morning and afternoon.

Bureau of Engraving and Printing Monday Morning perhaps? I went to the Denver Mint years ago, and that was cool. Plus, it's free. 
Have to get there at 10:00 or earlier for the free tickets.

Washington Wizards Vs Miami Heat, 7:00 PM at the Verizon center. tickets bought and in hand

Tuesday, April 15th, fly home, leaving at 5:45 PM from Reagan airport, must be there 90 mins in advance, so there is time on Tuesday morning for something perhaps.

If there is something (way) further away from downtown DC that is an absolute "must see", I'd be willing to rent a car at the airport for a day and go.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:42:38 AM by Veefer800canuck »
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:29 AM »
Library of Congress, US Capitol visitors center?
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 07:45:21 AM »
Having led students there to 9 trips so far I would offer these:
  Sunday afternoon:
  Serious time at the US History Museum or
  Serious time at the Air and Space museum
  IMO those are the "must see" Smithsonians.

The Archives is cool (Constitution, Declaration), but there can be a line to get in.

The National Cathedral is amazing- get a docent-guided tour (donation only).  It's an amazing structure.  My students usually rank it #2 or #3 in the best thing they saw.

The Capitol tour is pretty good.  Better if you contact your rep- they might have someone that can give you a night tour of the capitol- that is awesome (edited to add:  Oops- I see you are a Canuck!  If you still want a night tour I can probably arrange that.  A friend of mine is a US representative from Michigan- Bill Huizinga).

The Vietnam wall, Korean Memorial, Lincoln memorial, and WW2 memorials are best viewed in the evening or at night.

Honestly I'd put any of these^ above the mint, but different strokes ya know!

I don't know if they are open yet (edited to add:  they are), but I always walk down here for lunch at least once, usually twice:
Captain White Seafood
1100 Maine Ave SW
Washington, DC 20024
It's outdoors, though they might have plastics up.  Open air fishmarket type food.  If you don't like seafood, skip it.

There're scads of places to eat- the Old Post Office, the train station, it all depends on what you are looking for.  If you have a specific genre of food in mind I can further direct you.  There are some good microbreweries as well as various ethnic restaurants.   :thumbsup:
Let's do some science.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
IMO, Holocaust museum is really good, but due to the subject matter shouldn't be hurried through - and can be kind of a downer.  I'd recommend it if you have a real interest, but I don't think it's something to do if you are just trying to pass a little time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »
Well, I have a real interest. I've watched just about every documentary about the Holocaust ever produced.

Fascinating, and sobering.

No idea how my 19 Y.O. son will perceive it though.   

????
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 06:42:38 AM »
If you're into airplanes, http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/  It's located offsite from the Smithsonian Air and Space main building at Dulles Airport, but my son highly recommended it for our next visit.  They keep all the big stuff out here like the SR-71, Air Force One and such.  You should be able to use the Metro to get there, but I haven't actually looked.
--Tom

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
If you're into airplanes, http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/  It's located offsite from the Smithsonian Air and Space main building at Dulles Airport, but my son highly recommended it for our next visit.  They keep all the big stuff out here like the SR-71, Air Force One and such.  You should be able to use the Metro to get there, but I haven't actually looked.

The Space Shuttle Discovery is there too. Cool. Definitely added to the list. Looks like a good idea for Sunday or Monday perhaps.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:01:13 PM by Veefer800canuck »
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:02 AM »
Tuesday morning, I think I'm going to take him for 18 holes of golf. He is an avid golfer, and shoots 74 regularly, and there is a course close to the hotel. East Potomac. And their green fees, and club/cart rentals are very reasonable.

I don't golf, but that's fine, I can hook and slice a few on the driving range beforehand, and just chill and drive the cart for 18 holes.

Ima book a tee time online.  :-)

Monday, looks like the Udvar-Hazy museum instead of the Bureau of engraving and printing.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline open sore

• Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki ZR1000, 2001 Yamaha XV16AT, 1994 Kawi ZX11
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
When we were there a couple of years ago, both me and my wife enjoyed:

The Air and Space museum
The Spy museum

One of the days we got the trolley tickets.  You can use the trolley all day and get on and off at stops throughout DC including the different memorials.

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
Trolley, that also sounds interesting.

Will check that out.

Got a tee time booked Tuesday morning (our last day) at the East Potomac blue course.
Told sonny to bring his cleats and glove.

He'll have to make do with some rental clubs.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
FRIDAY NIGHT: Capitals Vs Blackhawks at the Verizon center, 7:00 PM tickets bought and in hand

Sweet.   :thumbsup:  I was in DC for a weekend one year ago and I couldn't find a Capitals hockey puck to save my life.

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
Last time we were in DC, we rented a car and drove over to Annapolis to tour the Naval Academy.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 01:06:08 PM »

Sweet.   :thumbsup:  I was in DC for a weekend one year ago and I couldn't find a Capitals hockey puck to save my life.

I hope your daughter is enjoying her Oilers puck!
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »

Yes sir!  And I thank you again.  I feel bad I wasn't able to join last year to meet you and thank you in person.  I brought a Wild puck I was going to swap you for.  I owe you a beer or two if we ever meet up....maybe SumSum 2015.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »
Last time we were in DC, we rented a car and drove over to Annapolis to tour the Naval Academy.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did you buy peanuts to toss at the Mids?

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »

Did you buy peanuts to toss at the Mids?

No...but the Mrs was wondering why I was humming the tune to "Popeye"... :augie:
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »

Yes sir!  And I thank you again.  I feel bad I wasn't able to join last year to meet you and thank you in person.  I brought a Wild puck I was going to swap you for.  I owe you a beer or two if we ever meet up....maybe SumSum 2015.

Cool!
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »
My wife and I stayed at a Hampton Inn in Silver Spring, MD.  It was two blocks from the Metro station, and had us just a half-hour train ride to the Smithsonian.

8728 A Colesville Road. Silver Spring, MD
IBA: 63413

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
We are at the Radisson near the airport, close to the Crystal City metro stn.

Saw the natural history and air and space museums today, walked part of the national mall, and watched the Capitals destroy the Blackhawks 4-0

Tomorrow doing the Segway monuments tour, then the holocaust museum in the afternoon.

I sort of dropped that one because I was not sure if my 19YO son would want to, but he actually asked me about it, and I never had mentioned it to him.

Apparently they have been studying the holocaust in social studies.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Veefer800canuck

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 01:50:17 AM »
Trip was a success, thanks for all the tips.

Pics are here, in case you wanna have a looksee.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152373775503470.1073741832.830948469&type=3
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map: