Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So... uh....  (Read 2022 times)

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
So... uh....
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:22:29 PM »
$17k for the new 1000RR base model. O_o
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
Re: So... uh....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:32:56 PM »
Who do they think they are?  KTM?   :o
--Tom

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »
That will look cheap once they start the 100% tariff on eurotrash makes.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »

Meh, they're talking about increasing the tariff by 100%, not the price of the bikes. It sucks, but it's not going to be too huge a hit on most bikes, I think. (ps... this is not me saying it's a good thing - definitely not. I just don't think it'll be the end of the world like people are saying if it does happen)

Offline miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »

It is only for bikes 51 to 500cc in displacement.

Basically, KTM dirt bikes for the most part.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 08:52:41 PM »
A tax of 100% tax of the sale price certainly sounds like double to me. 

Never fear though... They only want to make it retroactive back to 1999.

Offline miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »

No, it's an extra 100% of the tariff- whatever that actually is.  So maybe a KTM 450 goes from $11,000 now (yikes!) to $12,500.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 05:42:08 AM »

That's what Yamaha is asking for the 17 R1.  Suzuki hasn't listed the price of its new GSXR1000.

What's driving the price?  Are the Japanese starting to use higher quality brakes, suspension bits, hydraulic assisted clutches, etc...?  Or, is this the direction of things?
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »

It's pressure to "encourage" other countries from discontinuing what they have been doing to US imports for years. When I was in Korea, ANY import car faced an import tariff of 100% of the cost of the vehicle (not a doubling of an existing tax). It was meant to encourage the local market.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 08:28:20 AM »

That's what Yamaha is asking for the 17 R1.  Suzuki hasn't listed the price of its new GSXR1000.

What's driving the price?  Are the Japanese starting to use higher quality brakes, suspension bits, hydraulic assisted clutches, etc...?  Or, is this the direction of things?

Not really, from what I've seen. I don't know.

Maybe they're collectively trying to un-de-valuing their brands, and raising prices to comparable other things...? Or maybe things really are heating up in the features wars, and we'll see more? I don't know.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
Where can I buy a US made motorcycle that's 51 to 500cc in displacement?
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
The base RR lists for $17K, but the SP ($20K) and SP2 ($25K) homologation specials seem reasonable, especially the SP spec over the base RR.

The SP2 production is targeted for WSBK, MotoAmerica, BSB, etc. You're not likely to find one of them at your local Honda dealer.

I have to think the cost of modern electronics isn't cheap and the engineering to shave a little weight here and a little weight there without compromising performance/strength isn't cheap either. They're building street legal race bikes which isn't cheap.

For normal humans on public roads, I have to think a Super Duke (or similar sporty naked) has to be a lot more practical, comfortable, and fun.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
The base RR lists for $17K, but the SP ($20K) and SP2 ($25K) homologation specials seem reasonable, especially the SP spec over the base RR.

The SP2 production is targeted for WSBK, MotoAmerica, BSB, etc. You're not likely to find one of them at your local Honda dealer.

I have to think the cost of modern electronics isn't cheap and the engineering to shave a little weight here and a little weight there without compromising performance/strength isn't cheap either. They're building street legal race bikes which isn't cheap.

For normal humans on public roads, I have to think a Super Duke (or similar sporty naked) has to be a lot more practical, comfortable, and fun.

And that's the thing. The F4(i) generation of bikes were more than you ever needed for the street.
The RRs and that generation across the makers were *FAR* more than you ever needed for the street.

These 200+ HP monsters...? I think it's kind of idiotic that they're even licensable on the street, much less available to any 20-something with a job or daddy's money burning a hole in his pocket.  :eek: :crazy:

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
Chris, I agree with your "need" vs "want" regarding power. But have you ever ridden one of those crazy powerful bikes? They make a Z-rex look like an old, obsolete pedal bike.

Hop on a newer ZX-14 and tell me it isn't nice to have that power on tap on the street...

Granted, sports bikes like the RR should never be used on the street IN MY OPINION - they are made for racing, and are simply not comfortable for the street if you aren't going 100+ MPH.

But man, it's nice having that power for when you just "need" to get around that asshole that has been blocking the left lane for the last 3 miles, driving the same 3 miles above the speed limit speed as the guy next to him...

As for price, yeah, bikes are way to expensive these days.

- Dan 

[SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT]
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
[SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT]

`just because it can stand to be reinforced.

also - there is NOTHING regarding speed limit in said statement.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline expatbrit

• Big Lad At the Back
    • ExpatBrit
  • Motorcycles: KTM RC8R, MTS1200S, WR250X, Daytona 675
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »

Actually, I think Zook said 15k for the new 'base' GSX-R1000
https://www.expatbrit.org -- adventures in racing and cycling

Offline expatbrit

• Big Lad At the Back
    • ExpatBrit
  • Motorcycles: KTM RC8R, MTS1200S, WR250X, Daytona 675
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »

It's pressure to "encourage" other countries from discontinuing what they have been doing to US imports for years. When I was in Korea, ANY import car faced an import tariff of 100% of the cost of the vehicle (not a doubling of an existing tax). It was meant to encourage the local market.

No... this one is not. It's because the EU has refused for 30 years to import US beef, since it doesn't meet EU standards in terms of the use of artificial growth hormones. The US claims they are safe, the EU says no. Boom.

It's nothing about tariffs, nor about motorcycles, or anything.
https://www.expatbrit.org -- adventures in racing and cycling

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
I saw an AMA email in my mailbox today. It looks to be addressing this tariff issue:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/News-Story/american-motorcyclist-association-objects-as-us-seeks-100-percent-tariff-on-some-european-bikes

from the email
Tell President Trump you oppose the Beef for Bikes tax
Send an email today before the deadline!
 Take Action
Urge President Donald Trump to oppose the Office of United States Trade Representative's proposal to place 100 percent tariffs on motorcycles imported from the European Union in the E.U. - U.S. beef hormone trade dispute. The tariff would affect motorcycles with an engine size between 51cc and 500cc, which includes a vast range of off-road machines and many entry level street bikes and scooters.

Use the American Motorcyclist Association's convenient tools to urge President Trump to oppose the USTR's ill-conceived proposal before the Jan. 30 deadline to submit comments. Motorcyclists should not be penalized with exorbitant tariffs because of a beef trade dispute.

The AMA opposes the proposed tariff, because trade disputes residing within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be solved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products.

A 100 percent, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles would cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized businesses selling the vehicles. Additionally, consumers will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreational motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and wellbeing of millions of American families.

Affected manufacturers include: 1) Aprilla; 2) Beta; 3) BMW; 4) Ducati; 5) Fantic; 6) Gas Gas; 7) Husqvarna; 9) KTM; 10) Montesa; 11) Piaggio; 12) Scorpa; 13) Sherco; 14) TM; and 15) Vespa.

Should product availability be hindered through unjustified trade sanctions on European-produced motorcycles, dealerships may close, leaving countless Americans without jobs. The negative effects of the proposed trade sanctions will not only harm the motorcycle sales industry, but will spread through the aftermarket equipment sector, recreation equipment sales, the sports entertainment industry and further down the line.

Make our voice stronger by sharing the AMA alert. Share with your friends on Facebook.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that you and your riding friends become members of the AMA to help protect our riding freedoms. More members mean more clout against the opponents of motorcycling. That support will help fight for your rights - on the road, trail and racetrack and in the halls of government. If you are a motorcycle rider, join the AMA at www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join.

Take Action
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries