Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New routing tool (online)  (Read 1076 times)

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
New routing tool (online)
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
Saw this posted elsewhere and thought I'd share.

https://kurviger.de/en

I haven't had time yet to play with it, but it looks like it has potential in scouting out good routes in Europe.  :bigok:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '17 Yamaha FZ-10 '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma
Re: New routing tool (online)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »
Very cool Colleen!

Eric
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
New routing tool (online)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »
Neat!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline expatbrit

• Big Lad At the Back
    • ExpatBrit
  • Motorcycles: KTM RC8R, MTS1200S, WR250X, Daytona 675
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »
Oh dear. My inner CCIE was like 'how do you do routing without being online. IP traffic needs on-line'

I'm sorry.

*hangs head in shame*
https://www.expatbrit.org -- adventures in racing and cycling

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:38:32 PM »
Played with this a bit and like it very much.

Curiously, it does know places in the US, but can't draw routes between them. For example, there are a ton of Berns and Moscows in the US, but forget going from Bern, NC to Moscow, ID.

Also, sometimes it needs a little ...um... guidance to find a desired place with a shared name. For example, one of the three Seefelds in Austria.

Although it's possible to examine a Kurviger route on the website, the best bet is to export it to a mapping tool. I use Base Camp. Kurviger says to export the generated track, that generated route is of little value. True! It's the track file that follows the roads. Kurviger recommends about 10 waypoints per 100 km; the actual count is user-controlled. Kurviger is able to export in more than .gpx format, and the export page includes advice on what imports best into what device.

There are three levels of planning: 1) Mostly slabbing but some good stuff included, 2) turns and no slabbing, 3) hard core twisties, climbs and descents and no slabbing. The route generated is dependent on what the maps contain. Road closures, construction, etc. is, of course, not factored in. There are no comments or grading of roads taken.

ADDED: I forgot the spiffy tool that shows a graph of altitude v. distance. What's way cool is slide your mouse along the route and a) there's a plot of the instantaneous altitude and distance from the start but... there's also a cursor on the route, showing where, for example, the route crosses a 2000m pass. This feature is GREAT!! Woohoo!  :bigok:
- - - -
Kurviger is the superlative form of kurvig - twisty, winding, or sinuous. Jahwohl! Viel spass bei reiten fahren!

Fehler korrigiert...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:49:08 AM by RBEmerson »
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:37:16 AM »

:bigok:

Jahwohl! Viel spass bei reiten!

By the way, "reiten" is only used in relation to horse riding. One would never Motorrad reiten - nur Motorrad fahren.  People looked at me funny when I used the first combination before I learned the difference :redface:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
  • Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:11:18 AM »
Excellent, thanks for sharing!

On the chance I'm able to get the car I'm planning to get and do the European delivery, this will be very helpful!

Of course, I'll be bouncing ideas off you as well.   :)
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »

:bigok:

Jahwohl! Viel spass bei reiten!

By the way, "reiten" is only used in relation to horse riding. One would never Motorrad reiten - nur Motorrad fahren.  People looked at me funny when I used the first combination before I learned the difference :redface:

Fahren, fahren, farhen... reiten is the wages of, at the moment, my head being somewhere between English and German. (me: Auf auf sprach der Fuchs zum Hasen! she: do I have to get up? me: Bitte?  :facepalm: )

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
Oh dear. My inner CCIE was like 'how do you do routing without being online. IP traffic needs on-line'

I'm sorry.

*hangs head in shame*

I was thinking Dewalt.  No shame at all.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »
I've continued to work with Kurviger. The more I use it, the more I like it. I've been in touch with Robin Boldt, one of the developers. He's a pleasure to chat with. Anyway... I asked about how Kurviger figures instantaneous speeds and the average speed. Essentially, they look at the individual distances, a baseline speed (should ask about that) which gives an ETT (esitimated travel time). Grab a route segment and R=D/T (rate equals distance divided by time). Long segments at a fixed time interval produce high speeds.

We talked a bit about the 70-75 k/h average which is, I think, a little ...um... optimistic for Alpine "not straight road" riding. Using the GPS data I collected for the Edelweiss tour last July, the five day moving average was about 55 k/h. Bottom line - assume 50-60 k/h if you're running in twisties more often than not. You'll have to the math, for ETA and ETT, by hand.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:49:51 PM »
Robin has brought Kurviger's "field of view" from Europe-only to world-wide coverage. I've beta tested with local routes I can check as well as longer routes. I plugged in my house and Fernandina Beach, FL, hit the "extra-curvy" and saw Kurviger head to Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. Can't say curvier than that! Kurviger recognizes many local place names, although sometimes it needs a little ...um...guidance to get a start point, waypoint, or finish point right. The route can be sent out as a .gpx file containing a track, a route, a waypoint list, or any combination of them. The route can be accessed later, through a URL Kurviger provides. Good as Kurviger was before, its expanded scope makes it even better.

Kurviger is free, but if you use it a lot, think about making a donation to keep the server and Robin going.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »
DISCLAIMER: I know the developer and I probably had some small hand in suggesting some things, but otherwise have no skin in this. I even paid the Pro fee (out of kindness and feeling guilty about not donating sooner).

The Kurviger.de web site, which started as a twisty route finder for European riders, grew up to the point where it can handle anywhere roads are found on a map. That is, you can go twisty-hunting here in the good ol' USofA, the UofK (OK, UK), or oh... Canada...

The site starts in German unless you use www.kurviger.de/en or just choose the English option on the German page.

Kurviger.de can draw "OK, I'll accept some slabbing" routes, "don't want no slabs, don't want no corkscrews, do want curves", or "bring it on!!!" routes. They can be modified in lots of ways, and the results can be exported to anything that can handle a .GPX file - such as Base Camp. Or the route can be saved with a unique URL which, of course, can be shared. This site has a lot going for it, but... kinda sucks to carry your laptop, a satellite hotspot, and gen set to keep everything going. But wait...! Now there is... "Kurviger!" for any AndyOS phone.

Kurviger! does all the neat stuff the web site does and you can take it with you. The free version is fully functional, does the routing, etc. The Pro version adds voice navigation, improved map imagery (3D shading for terrain), extended round trip routing (600 mi, 1000 km), alternative routing, and a turn adviser to point out "can't turn into a one-way street" sorts of things.

Kurviger! is free, Kurviger! Pro is $6.49. IMHO it's one of the few apps that's more than just another "Talking Tom" or "Beer Chug" app that wears out after 5 minutes.

Almost forgot... Play Store - search for Kurviger. Easy-peasy.