Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Noisy Motorcycles With Altered Mufflers Should Face $1K Fines  (Read 4807 times)

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
Noisy Motorcycles With Altered Mufflers Should Face $1K Fines
« on: December 18, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
Go Chicago... :thumbsup:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131217/downtown/noisy-motorcycles-draw-ire-of-downtown-alderman-residents

A Downtown alderman is revving up his campaign against noisy motorcycles.

Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) has submitted a proposal to ease enforcement and increase maximum fines for violators to $1,000, which he trumpeted in a newsletter emailed to constituents Tuesday.

He called the persistent problem "a major quality-of-life issue" in his River North and Downtown ward.

According to Reilly, "many motorcyclists alter their mufflers to be much louder than legal decibel levels, which contributes to noise pollution throughout Chicago, especially in Downtown Chicago's skyscraper canyons."

But Reilly's ordinance would not necessarily target loud motorcycles, such as Harley-Davidsons, by decibel levels, but instead takes aim at those with altered mufflers.

That approach, he said, allows the City Council to streamline current regulations so local police would not have to work with State Police to issue tickets, as is required now by city law.

The new ordinance enables Chicago cops to issue tickets to motorcyclists with any exhaust pipe "lacking a muffler," which he said "would allow the Chicago Police Department to more easily enforce the law with a simple visual inspection."

Reilly said he has received "hundreds of complaints," especially in warmer months, about the loud bikes. Most recently, at a Downtown community-police meeting in September, Loop and Lakeshore East residents like David Klinger called loud motorcycle noise in the early hours of the night "an ongoing problem" in the neighborhood.

Officer Mary Panick agreed and said the Chicago Police Department's midnight team in the neighborhood was working to address it.

"Once they're on the move on Lake Shore Drive, they will run from the police," Panick said at the September meeting. "We have a new no-pursuit policy on them."

Reilly's new ordinance doesn't address that problem, but instead aims at laws police can enforce.

Reilly introduced the muffler ordinance at last week's City Council meeting, and it was sent to the Committee on Pedestrian and Traffic Safety. It would increase the maximum fine from $100 to $1,000.
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Re: Noisy Motorcycles With Altered Mufflers Should Face $1K Fines
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
Y'know, if they'd said "noisy motor vehicles" and enforced it that way I'd have no problem.

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
Ok so a motorcycle with after market pipes technically HAS mufflers.  They are louder than stock, but still more "muffled" than they'd be without them.  How does that play into it?  A Harley with "Screaming Eagle" pipes is FAR louder than my ZX-14 with Two Brothers.  How will they differentiate?  Not sure I'm a fan of new legislation...

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
Does your aftermarket can have a DOT embossing on it?

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
Calm down -- this is the alderman who force the horses that drag carriages around for tourists to coo over  to wear diapers so his constituants won't step in their exhaust products.

He brings up the bike thing every year.

And it sinks without a stone, every year.

Last time, the criteria was DOT embossing on the can.

And it sank without a trace.

Mostly because it was motorcycles only, and the city's legal begals told em what would happen ;-}

He's an attention whore (but he's a politician, you say, are you not repeating yourself) that accomplishes very little . . . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline hambonee

• Motorcycles: 2013 LC R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
Ok so a motorcycle with after market pipes technically HAS mufflers.  They are louder than stock, but still more "muffled" than they'd be without them.  How does that play into it?  A Harley with "Screaming Eagle" pipes is FAR louder than my ZX-14 with Two Brothers.  How will they differentiate?  Not sure I'm a fan of new legislation...
Reading the article it focused on bikes with no mufflers at all. Visually easy for police to spot(well..and hear!)..

But as Bomber stated likely to be nothing but chest thumping political wet dreams..

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
Sorry Scratch -- Carry on!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
Reading the article it focused on bikes with no mufflers at all. Visually easy for police to spot(well..and hear!)..

But as Bomber stated likely to be nothing but chest thumping political wet dreams..

Yea but newer bikes have the little mini-muffler under the center of the bike and not a long one running along side the bike.

And Denver already has a similar ordinance. $450 for the first offense, $1000 for the second (I think it's $995 so it doesn't hit some other law).

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline marc11

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
Umm make it for fart canned cars and bass booming radios too please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Scottzilla

• Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, Tuono, 600 pound dirt bike
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »
I didn't know Chicago had a no-chase policy.  I've filed this fact away for future reference.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »
I didn't know Chicago had a no-chase policy.  I've filed this fact away for future reference.

They won't know you are running on your KLR.   :bigsmile:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »
 My muffler has not been altered in any way. It is exactly as it was when it left the Two Brothers factory.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
Umm make it for fart canned cars and bass booming radios too please.

Definitely this. They're more annoying than a loud Harley any day of the week.  :thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »

They won't know you are running on your KLR.   :bigsmile:

Clay's on a roll tonite!  :rolf:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Straight piped bikes of any brand are obnoxious.

One of my prior co-workers had a Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak, and he put a set of shorty street sweepers on it, and that thing would make your ears bleed.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »

This might be what all the hoopla's about. I've noticed a lot more inner city sportbike riders, the type who 10 years ago might be furry stuntaz, run their bikes with the end can removed or replaced by short megaphones. The doppler effect when they fly past at 85+ on the freeway is quite the shock.

Torque is cheap.

Online M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
 Around here it's the straight piped chromed out ape hangered HDs, but the effect is still the same: a bunch of self centered douchebags trying to pass themselves off as bad ass bikers as everyone else just rolls their eyes, and plugs their ears.

I hold little hope of any legislation solving this problem.

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 07:44:42 AM »

This might be what all the hoopla's about. I've noticed a lot more inner city sportbike riders, the type who 10 years ago might be furry stuntaz, run their bikes with the end can removed or replaced by short megaphones. The doppler effect when they fly past at 85+ on the freeway is quite the shock.

As obnoxious as it is, the real danger in Chicago with the stunters is groups blasting down the Ike at 3 in the morning with impunity and turning into a fine red paste with regularity.  Start enforcing that and we can talk about pipes.

As Bomber said, we see it every year.  River North is pretty hoity-toity and there's pearls being clutched over it per annum.
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »
Chicago is on of the places I was thinking about when this topic came up. So does Houston, Des Moines, DFW and Boise. Other places too, but those stand out because I remember them clearly, especially Des Moines, because the kid was on a Ninja 650. Sounded like crap at idle and not much better pulling away from the light.
Torque is cheap.