Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Honda Forza 300  (Read 1877 times)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '17 Yamaha FZ-10 '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma
Honda Forza 300
« on: September 23, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
Whelp, I'm sure this thread will be as welcome as a case of the clap on your wedding day.  :augie:

So as most have read I've been buying used scoots on the cheap and resurrecting them all summer. Honestly, I really enjoyed every one of them for one reason or another. Why scooters? Well, they can be found on the cheap on craigslist so I seized the moment.

I've enjoyed them so much that I sought out something thing I view from the bare minimum to get the job done for me. Highway capable and short stints on a freeway would be possible as well.

Being the bottom feeder that I am sought researched to death any scoot above 250cc. Honestly the Piaggio BV350 was the dogs danglies, I just physically didn't fit well on that scoot.

So I chose the Forza, they make an ABS version and non ABS as well. Another failure on Honda's part mainly because of pricing structure. As a result there's many still on showroom floors and Honda has thrown some serious Bonus Bucks at this scoot to get rid of them.

Dragging her home from MD with 1 mile on the clock.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was 15, spin forward to today and I’m now 54. I started life out on a Honda Express that was lime green back then and the bug bit me hard. So much that it was a life changing experience for me.

I have chased the biggest, fastest and most advanced motorcycles that I could afford over the years only to realize that it’s the journey in life, not having the latest and greatest steed in the world.

I love riding and doing do in a minimalistic sort of way has it’s rewards. So I purchased a leftover ’14 Honda Forza (Non ABS) and decided to take y’all along for the ride.

Here she is what will be the beginning of my scooter journey on a Forza. I hope you enjoy!

Yes, I seem to be quick on the gachette! Life is short...

I'm long overdue on posting my thoughts here. Yes a scooter doesn't register on sport touring minded folks but it adds to the data base on our beloved site and may lead others to this site to join all of us in the fun.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:20:06 PM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
Re: Honda Forza 300
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »

A few thoughts after my first 97 miles on the Honeymoon.

I'm a tall dude at 6'4" so finding any scooter that will fit me is a pipe dream. So I try them out and it becomes a matter of choosing the lessor of all the evils. The Forza is small for me and I may mess with rebuilding the seat this winter but I don't want any down time while the sun is shining. Now is the time to rack the miles up for me!

- Ergos: It's tight but I can make it work even if I'm all elbows and knees rolling down the road  :redface:
- Windshield: I do get a wind blast in the chest but it's not too bad, I'll install Honda's tall screen come fall
- Dashboard: Love it! Wow! What a pleasant display and at night I particularly liked the red glow on the gauge bezels!  :inlove:
- Powerband: Too soon to tell but I'll have it broken in soon! More to come on that.
- Fit & finish: Simply put superb! No creaks, moans noises going down the road
- Noise level: Think the Jetsons, that electric whir when they drove their cars. It's that quiet
- Seat storage: Shallow but manageable. Rok straps for anything else strapped across the seat, jury is still out if I'm going to install a top case or not V46 or E55 idk? (more to come)
- Lighting: Not great but not bad on low beam, great on high beam. (I don't understand how a scooter can have a better headlight then my 20k 1290 SA, wtf?)  :nuts:
- Gas mileage: Way too soon to tell but I'm at 62-63 mpg on the first tank
- Tupperware is very brittle so take your time during disassembly as broken tabs are the norm 

Anywho, there's a few thoughts from an old n00b trying a different scoot. I owe many folks on ADV Forza thread a cold one for supplying imperative information that helped me make my decision to purchase the Forza. Sure as hell beats any scoot review reading 100 folks real world experiences. Many thanks!  :beerchug:

Eric
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:50:14 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
I went for a scooter ride in the country today to stretch her legs a bit on my favorite roads. Some of these sights are the same as my other threads so nothing really new here.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:34:44 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 03:41:12 PM »
I put 167.2 miles on this tank that was full and was staring at E for the last 45 miles… So I pulled over and topped her off. I averaged 66.1 MPG this tank but to be fair 25 miles of the tank was hammering down the freeway at 70 – 75 which pummels my MPG.

The MPG gauge on the bike is pretty damn accurate! Love it.

I just pulled in the garage and I’m 300 miles into the honeymoon. So far I love it! Zero regrets.

On a separate note the Forza has an parking break which is a plus when parking on a hill. With the CVT trans she rolls pretty easily.

An illuminated light on the dash to let you know your brake is on.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:35:21 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »
I planned on using my iPhone 6+ for a nav on my Forza.

I installed a simple U-bolt Ram handlebar mount to house a ball mount, about $13 US delivered but I had this one kicking around in the garage.

I then attached a Ram Mount X-Grip , about $25 US and a Ram Short Mount Double Socket, about $8 US. This set up is just wide enough to accommodate my iPhone 6+! It’s rock solid and I don’t have to worry about my phone popping off.

I keep my iPhone housed in a mophie waterproof case.

I’ve been using my iPhone for some time now on a Ram mount on my bikes only in fair weather. So I looked into “waterproof” cases and stumbled onto the mophie. Waterproof case + 70% battery backup at a very reasonable price when compared to the industry standard waterproof smartphone cases on the market. About $90 US.

Pros:
– It is indeed waterproof
– 70% increase in my iPhone 6+
– Still remains fairly thin in size and fits in my phone holders for the Ram mount
– Not too much more (when on sale) compared to comparable waterproof cases
– Talking on the phone isn’t hindered by the case
– The mute button on the case is now activated using a toggle switch that works well

Cons:
– Has it’s own proprietary plug rendering all your other charge cords useless
– Hearing is slightly hindered when using the case
– Like all waterproof cases the dexterity to operate the main power button is hindered due to the membrane which waterproofs it.

This combo has proven to be very versatile and weatherproof if your interested are nav, music, it even hosts a radar detector app that warns me  as well.

I just need to feed a charger cord into the left glovebox to use the 12V charger.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars and would buy another one in a heartbeat for my intended purpose

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »
As it turned out the Ram arm was a pita to deal with so I ordered just a Ram ball for the handlebar clamp. Sometimes keeping it simple is the best solution.

I'm coming up on my 600 mile service quick so I ordered oil, filter washer and I had a devil of time finding a reasonably priced OEM repair manual. Fleabay had them for $90. I finally found a place to order the service manual for $45 TMD.

Next up I'm going to install a top box and I ordered the carrier bracket 08L70-K04-900 OEM. It came with a this link to scan.

Which takes you here and of course the Forza isn't listed. Bizarre...
http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx

I'm sure it's pretty straight forward. It's more to get the correct torque settings on the bolts and bits.

It appears the kit comes with new heavier bar end weights. :)

Even after all these years it still gives me heartburn to drill holes in a perfect body part.

Installed and now to scour the net for what top box to go with.

New bar ends installed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:36:43 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »
So I get the bright idea to go get supper on the scoot... So I scoot over to Joe Joe's for some wings and pizza. Forgot my straps to secure to the scoot. Had to carry them on my lap the whole way home. The damn box kept hitting the horn button and kill switch. Oh well, mission accomplished even if I was a shit show going down the road. ;)

PS: I think the rump on the Forza is BIG! So I snuck a plate by the VA DMV.  :banana: :chili:

I decided on the el cheapo topbox frome Bestem. So I ordered a Bestem 929 off of Amazon, they make two variations. One with no lights for like $80 and one prewired for LED running lights and a brake light for around $100. It comes with a back rest pad, universal mounting plate. I would say this box is just about the size of a V46. So far two thumbs up.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094E0FGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered a strip of LED on fleabay and I'll redo the LEDs that came with the box and post up that when I get the project done.

Brackets and hardware.

Bestem provides a universal mounting plate as well. I just drilled 4 holes into the OEM plastic rack and tightened them up.

Installed.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
I got my Bestem 929 wired up today. I have a quick disconnect coming in the mail and a roll of LEDs and jumper cables coming from fleabay. When they get here I'll enhance the LED bar on the topbox. As it stands now I have a two rows of LEDS in the lower section for running lights and brake lights. You can't really tell in these pics but the bar does get considerably brighter when the brake is applied. I also have a dedicated brake light on the top of the box as well. Overall, I'm super pleased with this purchase.

Whelp, it's 98*F/36.67*C here today with a heat index of 112*F so I took her out for a short ride to doing 600 mi/1,000 km and grab a sandwich. Wow it was hot, much like riding behind a jet engine.

Time for the 600 mile service.

I had previously ordered the stuff needed for the service and had it waiting. I set a fan in front of the Forza and let it cool off for about a half hour.

Dang it! My oil catch container doesn't fit under the scoot so while Mrs. Virginian was out I used one of her brownie pans  ;)

The oil was pretty dark for a silver bottomed pan but as you can see it's golden brown coming out in the light.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
Repurposed one of the parts ziplock bags for the old filter so it doesn't pee all over my trash can.

When I do an oil filter change I always order a new crush washer. You can see the indentations from prior use which will imo start an oil weep.

I checked the valves and they are in spec. Re-torqued all the bolts and added 1.5 U.S. quarts of oil and let her warm up.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 04:47:59 PM »
Speaking of gas mileage, here's what my scoot has done so far on the first 600 miles.

Oil drain bolt
Torque: 25 N-m (2.5 kgf-m, 18 lbf-ft)

Oil Filter
Torque: 26 N-m (2.7 kgf-m, 19 lbf-ft)

Another useless post brought to you by the Virginian, aka Eric.  :smoking:

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
This will be kind of a long post so my apologies up front as it's also a repost from the cheap topbox thread.

I finished added LED's to the topbox and it came out nice. This is an easy mod to any topbox for any topcase/topbox for roughly $13 dollars and some of my time.

Here's the parts that I ordered off of fleabay:
Jumper cables $3.40 U.S. TMD and waterproof flexible LED strip $9.21 U.S. TMD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181846678573?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321145960519?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I first disassembled the topbox to get at the lenses. Note: There's only Scotch tape holding in the existing LED strip that came with the Bestem 929. There's 3 grooves in this lens and made it quite nice to have 3 rows of LED's.

I used some Gorilla tape (kind of HD duct tape) and cut a strip to secure the exiting LED strip.

Measure and cut the LED strip at the indicated cut lines. It's super flexible and had adhesive on the back which wouldn't be a help in this case. Pro-tip: These are tiny solder points and to inspect if you have a smart phone, go to camera mode and just zoom in to get a magnified view of your work. I used the jumper wires and just carved them up in the colors that I need to be consistent with the OEM colors.

Solder on two leads after you strip the silicone away from the end with a razor blade.

Hook it up to any 12V power source to check your connections.

I laid in the LED strips in all 3 of the grooves and taped them in with the Gorilla Tape.

I also ran a short LED strip to the dedicated brake light on the top of the topcase and just patched it to the existing wires for those LED's.

Wire it up to the pre-existing wiring that came with the case and you're good to go. Please note that LED's are polarity sensitive so double check your pluses + and minuses -.

With the brake applied it really is much brighter but the pic doesn't really show it. Brake applied. Note: I now have three tiered lighting for brakes; Honda brake, center row on top box, and a row at the top of the box.

One last thought, I ran the LED strips all the way around the lens and have 180* visibility now.

I hope this post inspires someone to add some decent lighting to their existing topcase.

Again sorry for the long post.

Mea Culpa

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »

I just tipped over 1,000 miles on the Forza and thought I would share a few subjective thoughts on this scooter. Cheers and jeers so to speak. ;)

- I'm averaging 67 mpg U.S., I heard and read of many folks that are getting 70+++ mpg. Maybe my weight or physical mass being tall and lanky is somewhat wind dragging the mileage down?
- I love the gas gauge and for a scooter it's a luxury. Slight gripe is when it hits E there's still roughly 50 - 60 miles to go so it's a tad annoying. I'm refueling at around the 150 mile marker.
- I purchased an OEM tall windshield and haven't installed it yet. It has been terribly hot here in the east since the I bought this scoot so I'm quite happy with the airflow riding 1,000 miles in a heat index of 105* - 115* F with the short stock windshield.
- So far the seat is tolerable and I do not plan on making any changes to it. At 6'4" tall on a scooter, it is what it is.
- First service was a snap and very easy to work on. Bonus points for not having to remove the brittle Tupperware.
- I'm very happy with the useable power band on it. I have had it up to 80 mph on a short stint on the freeway.
- Adding the Bestem 929 topbox was a great choice and I have ample storage between it and under the seat.
- "For me" <----- the suspension is subpar. I can honestly say the rear shocks are the worst I've ever had on any bike ever. That said I purchased a leftover '14 and the big bucks I saved going that direction will foot the bill for some niceties for the Forza. I knew the suspension was bad going into the purchase of this scoot so no surprises there. (more to come on this )
-  In the next month I'm going to install heated handgrips and I'll write up a post when I get around to that. Old man winter is lurking right around the corner.

At this exact time in my honeymoon with the Forza I have zero regrets. It does everything I wanted it to do effortlessly and efficiently. I wholeheartedly recommend this scooter to anyone.

Another useless post brought to you by the Virginian, aka Eric.  :smoking:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:41:38 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »
I've been away from home for the last week because my sister had her hip replaced so I was doing the chief, cook and bottle washer thing for her family. So I'm catching up on packages and in general stuff around the cabin. So apologies for the back to back posts.

As I mentioned above I'm struggling with the stock suspension. So I labored over the options available for the Forza that I know of. Malossi makes one but I've read a few reviews where folks say it's still quite firm. More of a sportbike feel to it. YSS makes a good one at a very reasonable price as well and lastly there's (to me) the holy grail which is Öhlins.  :pope:

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-forza-nss-250-300-yss-shock-absorber.html
https://bikerzbits.com/ohlins-forza-nss-sh-300-shock-absorbers.html

The best prices that I found were at Bikerzbits.com out of Bangkok Thailand. So after doing my research I opted to go for the full Monty and purchased the Öhlins.  :couch:

I felt I got such a great deal on my leftover that I was still dollars ahead even after the Öhlins. I called Öhlins USA up to make sure that bikerzbits.com was legitimate and they are. Good enough for me.

The cost of these shocks $553.00 plus $110.04 to ship the FedEx (the only shipping option because of the gas filled shock they must be shipped by FedEx. Total price delivered to my door $663.04.  :nuts:

Well packed they arrived to me in 5 days from placing the order. Communication was very good with bikerzbits.

Unbroken hologram seal on the box.

Ummmm... I'll have to figure out how to register them on the warranty card. :hmmmmm

I hope to have time to install them tomorrow and try to set them up for my weight. My gosh, just do a search on ADV forum for "Öhlin setup" and you will find dozens of threads. I fear this will be a challenge for me.  :confused:

More to come...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:46:24 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 05:08:38 PM »
Installed and set up to factory standard settings. It will take me a while to get them dialed in. I'll update as I go along.

So far I'm super pleased with the Ohlins. A marked improvement and although an expensive upgrade for most to me it is more valuable then ABS. With ABS I'm going to use it 1% of the time. With decent shocks keeping the rear contact patch on the ground I would use it 100% of the time. This is a bold statement and I fully recognize that that 1% ABS could save my bacon. That said, 38 years of riding and over 900,000 miles of no ABS is a fact so it's a risk I'm willing to take. Everyone is different I respect if you disagree with this statement. This upgrade was budgeted before I purchased the Forza. Now dialing it in is a science of trial and error for me. I don't tune shocks for a living so it will be a slow learning curve. Set to stock settings I would estimate that I'm 80% there.

Set Up Data
Rebound - 22 clicks
Spring Preload - 2mm

Spring
Part No. - 60480=01
Free spring length - 230 mm
Preload adjustment range - (0-10)mm

Shock absorber data
Length - 400 mm
Stroke - 115 mm

On a side note, installing them was a snap. It required no removal of any body parts. One caveat; I couldn't use a proper torque wrench on the upper shock mounts due to bodywork in the way. I opted to have the proper torque setting for the lower and guessed at how much to torque the upper mounts. On the muffler side of the scooter I removed 3 bolts that hold the muffler on and just swung it out of the way.

39 N-m (4.0 kgf-m, 29 lbf-ft)

So far 100% pleased with my investment in a very expensive farkle. Clearly I plan on riding the Forza for many years to come. So this ends my terror on scooters as I love the Forza and it's a keeper to me.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »
I installed my OEM tall windshield today and thought I would share a few thoughts. I've read how hard it is to get the Y mask off the front so I searched YouTube and found a good tutorial.

Three screws and follow this man's procedure and you're good to go. A fifteen minute job to install.

Unearth the side tabs first by bowing the arms.

Get your fingers under the Y arms and pull down and towards you and she popped right off. And when I say pull, I mean pull smartly!

My OEM windshield came with two different sized rubber crush washers so I used the thicker ones. Unsure on this front?

Another question; should I transfer these foam buff pads to the new windshield?

Reinstall tucking in the Y arm tabs and smartly push up and forward and she popped right back into place.

I road it around the block but I don't have any seat time yet. I'll post up my opinion when I get some miles on with the new windshield.

On a side note, the stock short windshield had Honda in raised 3D stickers. The OEM tall windshield has Honda as a sticker.