Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CTX1300 Deluxe  (Read 14888 times)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
Re: CTX1300 Deluxe
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2017, 02:16:57 PM »
Today was another unseasonably warm day I took the CTX over to Monticello, VA, home of Thomas Jefferson our 3rd U.S. president, not to sight see but to take one of my rifles actions to be worked on by my gunsmith. ;) I'll revisit this area probably this summer and do a small write up on the area. There's a lot of history here and gorgeous area to ride though. A lot of wine country if that's your thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monticello
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I want to take a few moments to share my thoughts about this bike after 6 to 7 months of ownership and 4,000 miles. It's safe to say that the honeymoon is over and I have a good idea of how good or bad the CTX1300 Deluxe really is.

Here is what I stated on my initial impressions back on September 5th, 2016.

I've got my first 600 miles under my belt and thought I would share a few cheers and jeers.

Let's use a scale of 1 to 5 stars, one being terrible and 5 being terrific.

- Seating: All day comfort and no issues as I've already spent many hours in the saddle in a short period of time. 4.5 Stars
- Powerband/torque: Wow, simply put amazing in any gear. Many times I was in 4th thinking I was in 5th gear. 4.5 Stars
- Gas mileage: Best tank so far averaged 47 mpg U.S. For a bike this size 5 Stars!
- Fit and finish: The fit and finish is typical Honda, darn good. Deduct 1 star for the battery access issues. 4.0 Stars
- Mirrors: What can I say, they're a non-issue for me and work well. 4.0 Stars
- Audio system/BluTooth: Too soon to rate as I haven't messed with it too much. TBD
- Instrumentation: Simply put, I love it! 5.0 Stars!
- Luggage: Yes, they could be a tad bigger but I'm more than fine with them. Love the topbox. 4.0 Stars
- Engine: The tried and true V4 is hard to beat. I prefer the detuned variant of this motor. I didn't want a land rocket. 5.0 Stars.
- Stock short windshield: This little screen works very well for me here in the hot south. Yes, I'll install a OEM tall when it gets cold. I get clean air around my helmet and I enjoy the undistorted view of the road directly in front of me. 4.0 Stars
- Passenger accommodations: I have no thoughts yet as I haven't given any rides yet. TDB
- Lighting: The LED headlights and tail lights are a standout feature. As good as it get in this industry. 5.0 Stars
- Aerodynamics: Crosswinds are a non issue. The CTX just shrugs it off naturally & effortlessly. Standout feature! 5.0 Stars
- Ergonomics: I'm tall so in a way it's not fair for me to comment about my knees hitting. They hit on just about every bike. No fatigue after 8 hours non-stop in the saddle. Stand out feature! 5.0 Stars
- Cornering: For a bike this size (700+ lbs) it's surefooted and offers good feedback to the rider as well as very acceptable albeit deceiving cornering ability. I did manage to drag the feelers on the pegs just a bit to see the limits. 4.5 Stars
- Stock tires: Too soon to tell for longevity but they hold beautifully in the twisties. No rain riding yet so TBD
- Brakes: I can't say I'm a fan of linked braking but it's really a non-issue for me in the end. They stop the heavy beast just fine with no fading when they get warmed up. 4.5 Stars.
- Transmission: It could use a 6th gear, no doubt about it. Cruising at 80ish the RPMs are in the 4k range seems a tad high. The only caveat on the 6th gear would be for better fuel mileage. I did have a false neutral between 3rd and 4th. It hasn't happened again since. 3.5 Stars
- Fuel range: I've read others stating they wish they had more. I'm more than fine with the fuel range of this bike. Effective range 235 miles per tank. To each their own! 4.0 Stars
- Suspension: Too soon to tell. I have to to adjust it and get some seat time before I comment. For now I'll rate it somewhere between 3.5 - 4.5 Stars.

So there's a few thoughts to ponder or poke at. I love this bike for what it is and what it does for me. Thanks for reading.

Eric

Here are my thoughts 4,000 miles into it.

- Seating: All day comfort and no issues as I've already spent many hours in the saddle in a short period of time. 4.5 Stars, I stand by this remark, the stock seat rocks.
- Powerband/torque: Wow, simply put amazing in any gear. Many times I was in 4th thinking I was in 5th gear. 4.5 Stars. I stand by this remark, the drive-train is a reliable freight train.
- Gas mileage: Best tank so far averaged 49.9 mpg U.S. For a bike this size 5 Stars! Updated stats, averaged 44.1 mpg. 4 stars for a bike this size.
- Fit and finish: The fit and finish is typical Honda, darn good. Deduct 1 star for the battery access issues. 4.0 Stars Honda replaced under warranty with redeisgned access panel. 4.5 Stars
- Mirrors: What can I say, they're a non-issue for me and work well. 4.0 Stars. I stand by this remark.
- Audio system/BluTooth: Too soon to rate as I haven't messed with it too much. TBD 5.0 Stars The audio operated through the infotainment system broad-casted via BlueTooth just plain works and I love it.
- Instrumentation: Simply put, I love it! 5.0 Stars! I stand by this remark.
- Luggage: Yes, they could be a tad bigger but I'm more than fine with them. Love the topbox. 4.0 Stars I'm upgrading this to 5.0 stars. They just flat work for me. One key for the bike is bonus points. (more on this later)
- Engine: The tried and true V4 is hard to beat. I prefer the detuned variant of this motor. I didn't want a land rocket. 5.0 Stars. I adamantly concur!
- Stock short windshield: This little screen works very well for me here in the hot south. Yes, I'll install a OEM tall when it gets cold. I get clean air around my helmet and I enjoy the un-distorted view of the road directly in front of me. 4.0 Stars. I stand by this remark.
- Passenger accommodations: I have no thoughts yet as I haven't given any rides yet. TDB 4.0 Stars. I ridden quite a bit two up and it is indeed quite comfrtable but not GW comfort if that makes sense.
- Lighting: The LED headlights and tail lights are a standout feature. As good as it get in this industry. 5.0 Stars Benchmark for all m/c's IMO!
- Aerodynamics: Crosswinds are a non issue. The CTX just shrugs it off naturally & effortlessly. Standout feature! 5.0 Stars I stand by this remark.
- Ergonomics: I'm tall so in a way it's not fair for me to comment about my knees hitting. They hit on just about every bike. No fatigue after 8 hours non-stop in the saddle. Stand out feature! 5.0 Stars. Ergonomics really are that good for me. Love it!
- Cornering: For a bike this size (700+ lbs) it's surefooted and offers good feedback to the rider as well as very acceptable albeit deceiving cornering ability. I did manage to drag the feelers on the pegs just a bit to see the limits. 4.5 Stars. I stand by this remark.
- Stock tires: Too soon to tell for longevity but they hold beautifully in the twisties. No rain riding yet so TBD 4.5 Stars. I'm happy to report that they're holding up traction in the rain and also mileage wise. At their present rat of erosion I suspect I'll get 10 to 12k on the front and 8 to 10k out of the rear. Below are supplied pics at their current state of condition.
- Brakes: I can't say I'm a fan of linked braking but it's really a non-issue for me in the end. They stop the heavy beast just fine with no fading when they get warmed up. 4.5 Stars. 4.0 Stars, I'm going to drop this rating half a star as I would really prefer non-linked braking.
- Transmission: It could use a 6th gear, no doubt about it. Cruising at 80ish the RPMs are in the 4k range seems a tad high. The only caveat on the 6th gear would be for better fuel mileage. I did have a false neutral between 3rd and 4th. It hasn't happened again since. 3.5 Stars 4.0 stars. That transmission is just fine with 5 gears. More on that later. 
- Fuel range: I've read others stating they wish they had more. I'm more than fine with the fuel range of this bike. Effective range 235 miles per tank. To each their own! 4.0 Stars. I stand by this remark.
- Suspension: Too soon to tell. I have to to adjust it and get some seat time before I comment. For now I'll rate it somewhere between 3.5 - 4.5 Stars. 3.0 Stars, the front forks need to be reworked bad, I adjusted the rear suspension and it it adequate but nothing to get excited about.

I have ridden roughly 1,000 miles of hard downpour rain on this bike. The luggage remained bone dry for the duration. Some may knock it because the luggage doesn't pop off meaning the side bags, the top case does. I use liners and open them grab the bag and roll. I gave up on removable side bags as I take them off and set one down on the pavement to get the other bag, they rarely stay standing up and fall over on the painted side. When I get to the hotel or camp ground they're something else for me to work around in limited quarters, so this system works just fine for me. Get yourself a decent liner and be done with that.

I took Reg Pridmore's http://www.classrides.com/ class in the early '80s and learning how/when/why to use your brakes independent from one another is ingrained into my DNA. Thus the push-back on the linked braking system. File this one under not teaching an old dog new tricks.

Now here are my thoughts on the 5 speed transmission. After spending some time on this bike I really don't feel it needs a 6th gear. Honestly you have to ride one to digest this statement. You really cannot tell if your in 4th or 5th gear at any speed! It's perfectly happy to pull through effortlessly through the entire RPM range right up to redline. Even at redline the motor does not show any fatigue as it happily carries on. This is an anomaly I've never experience with any other bike I've ridden or owned.

As referenced above, here's two pics of the stock OEM ties.

Front

Rear

My current gas mileage.

My thermostat velcro'd to the dash for my W&S heated jacket.

I had no problems with the cops despite having bending the speed limits slightly. I broke the ton mark just to see how she handled. At an indicated 125 mph she stayed glued to the road and sure footed, in fact it felt like she wanted to pull some more. I should also mention that the speedometer is true to the actual speed verified by my GPS at just about any speed. After I came down out of the mountains and rode into the sunset for a few hours, it got very dark and a bit chilly. I had opted for the Warm & Safe heated jacket, figuring I'd rather be comfortable most of the day. I warmed my hands on the OEM hand warmers I installed of my trusty steed, which ran like a champ all day and didn't miss a beat. Out in the farmlands in Central Virginia, with no city lights or towns for miles in any direction, riding alone into a moonless night, I'm godsmacked at the beauty of the stars and felt blessed to be able to have this experience. There is something amazing about being on a fine bike, alone in the night with your thoughts.

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:35:19 PM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »
One last thing I thought I would share. The CTX owner's in the west are putting together their meet and I posted a crappy teaser video of our meet here in the east. I hope it's worthy of a laugh.

https://vimeo.com/205119590

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »
Eric your the best!     :beerchug:
When I bought my Valk two years ago, it was a toss-up between it and the CTX.
I read your thoughts, reports, updates.  Did I make a mistake? :headscratch:

Anywho, thanks for taking the time to share.
(IMHO -  it's people like you that make this a good place to hang out.)   :thumbsup:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline sfof

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2017, 12:27:40 AM »
What a great write-up. Virginia is truly a lovely state and the history lessons  :) are terrific as well.

Thank you.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2017, 05:52:00 AM »
Great updates, now I want one-you should write for Honda! A good ride where you can enjoy/think/zen out is truly a blessing. Thanks for posting your impressions, they are informative and well presented. Almost a labor of love.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2017, 07:52:37 AM »
Eric your the best!     :beerchug:
When I bought my Valk two years ago, it was a toss-up between it and the CTX.
I read your thoughts, reports, updates.  Did I make a mistake? :headscratch:

Anywho, thanks for taking the time to share.
(IMHO -  it's people like you that make this a good place to hang out.)   :thumbsup:

Wow Sam! Thank you for that very kind reply.

Great updates, now I want one-you should write for Honda! A good ride where you can enjoy/think/zen out is truly a blessing. Thanks for posting your impressions, they are informative and well presented. Almost a labor of love.

Very kind of you to say. Truth be known I do this as a self improvement thing. I'm terrible at writing so I try my hand at quasi blogs on topics that I have some knowledge in. I figure if there's a decent historical base of info on great sites like this it will draw good folks to join st.o and contribute as well.

What a great write-up. Virginia is truly a lovely state and the history lessons  :) are terrific as well.

Thank you.

Make a trip to the states and take my CTX for a tour of the east. Thanks for the kind words friend.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
I considered both the Valk & the CTX.  There were just a few visual points I couldn't get buy.  If I bought either I'm sure I woulda been more than happy with it.  Instead I went with a used K1200LT.  Keep the posts coming.  BTW is Honda still importing new Valk and CTX?
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online st2sam

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
I considered both the Valk & the CTX.  BTW is Honda still importing new Valk and CTX?

Mark I'm not sure about the CTX but the Valk is done.
(In America)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2017, 05:16:09 PM »
I considered both the Valk & the CTX.  BTW is Honda still importing new Valk and CTX?

Mark I'm not sure about the CTX but the Valk is done.
(In America)

CTX was one and done. There's still a few leftovers around on both models though.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »
I think their cruiser line is all twins now. I'm pretty sure they even dropped the F6B for 2017.
A man with no sig

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
A quick ride to the doc's as I can't seem to shake this upper respiratory infection. I have pneumonia.  :bluduh:

One cool thing while I was waiting in the examination room , there were hanging on the wall. They were his father-in-laws. Awesome!

Not much of an update, sorry folks. Looks like I'm grounded for a bit...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:29:25 PM by Virginian »

Offline sfof

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2017, 12:28:37 AM »
Get well soon :smiley_thumb:

Online st2sam

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2017, 05:47:17 AM »
Sorry to hear this.

I had pneumonia last year, it's nothing to sneeze about.

Took me all of six months to fully recover.

Take it easy, relax, lots of rest, it'll pass.  :thumbsup:

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2017, 06:44:07 PM »
Here's another short video a friend posted from the Maggie Valley trip. Come on spring!

Online tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2017, 05:29:33 AM »
While you are feeling blue read my Nova Scotia trip where I developed pneumonia and had wheel bearings fail ....... It's a satirical take on writing a ride report.....  ;)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
Curb side take-away and free blooming onion today at Outback! Yum!

I need to get back to my civil war documentary. More coming soon!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:30:10 PM by Virginian »

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2017, 09:18:46 AM »
I've been meaning to ask, are the side cases removable on the CTX?

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »

Bryan,

They are but it takes two bolts to remove them, some complain about this. Surprisingly the CTX looks great with them off. When I get time I'll remove them for you and post a picture.  :bigok:

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »

Also Bryan, I saw this on extremely marked down in black metallic for $8,299

http://glenburniemotorsports.com/Motorcycles-Honda-CTX-1300-Deluxe-2014-Glen-Burnie-MD-119495f4-cdda-451a-90c6-a6eb013ee91f

Offline oilhed

« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
Sale Price: $8,299.00
Retail Price: $17,499.00

WOW!  Did anyone pay retail?
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2017, 07:20:07 AM »
That retail price was insane! I've seen a ton of leftover 2014s, mostly around $9k.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »
Today's update is a OEM LED fog light install. Not for the faint of the heart and you basically have to strip most of the Tupperware off to make the install. Let's get to it!

I removed the seat,, side panels x 4, upper speaker dash panels and two small glove boxes.

Lastly, the tank skin.

Remove the switch panel on the right side as we are going to replace the one switch on the very right which is blank at this time.

The switch piggybacks to the the switch panel, so you remove that.

Pop off the dummy switch. Note that there is a already a prewired switch underneath the dummy cap.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:35:33 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
Pop on the fog lamp switch cover.

Next time to assemble the LED fog lamps. It interesting to me that Honda uses a German brand fog lamp.

I installed the wiring harness for the fog lamps and threaded it through the bike as best I could from the uninformative instructions.

The brackets to mount the fog lamps are many parts bolted together and somewhat I felt like I was working with an erector set. lol

Installed the housings for the fog lamps. What's notable here is that mine are flat silver gray metallic while I've seen others flat black.

Final assembly.

You thread the wiring through one of the side panels on each side.

Button her up! I should mention that this took three attemps because the supplied wiring harness has very little play so getting it threaded through the bike properly to actually reach the fog lamps was very problematic.

Here's a pic of the switch panel installed. Looks great!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:38:25 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »
When the fog lights are on it displays on the dash board the appropriate insignia to give you a visual that they are on. Here in VA, state law requires that the fog lamps be disabled if the high beams are on which they do going with the OEM kit.

This isn't a very good picture of them but hopefully you get the idea.

Lastly, while I had the bike torn apart I reinstalled the short windshield for summer riding. I really do enjoy this windshield as it provides me clean air to ride behind.

All washed up and ready for my next adventure.

Thanks for reading.

Eric

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:39:42 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

Bryan,

They are but it takes two bolts to remove them, some complain about this. Surprisingly the CTX looks great with them off. When I get time I'll remove them for you and post a picture.  :bigok:

Eric

Bryan,

I didn't forget your question, here's a pic without the bags. Two bolts each bag for removal, two bolts each bracket for removal and in my opinion the CTX 1300 is damn sharp without the bags. I hope this answers your question.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:14:39 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »
I'm slowing starting to resurrect some of my monumental meandering threads. I'm 4 pages deep on recovering this one from Photobucket. I'll finish it up soon.

Eric

Offline oilhed

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2018, 02:44:10 PM »
I’m slowly starting to hate photobucket
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »

I do hate them the moment they held me hostage. You get what you pay for, thus lesson learned in life for me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:27:15 PM by Virginian »

Offline oilhed

« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »

I do hate them the moment they held me hostage. You get what you pay for thus lesson learned in life for me.

I get the change in policy but all the broken links out there. At least they coulda done is convert old stuff to thumbnails. 
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »
This thread has been updated and the pics are fairly sorted. As most of you know I sold this bike and the XR1200 to help this young man out in the family. He's on the road to recovery and getting better every day.

Waving bye to my CTX as it resides in PA with a new found friend.  :confused:

Thanks for reading,

Eric

Offline XLOrgn

• Motorcycles: 2017 HD XL1200CX
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »
This thread has been updated and the pics are fairly sorted. As most of you know I sold this bike and the XR1200 to help this young man out in the family. He's on the road to recovery and getting better every day.

Waving bye to my CTX as it resides in PA with a new found friend.  :confused:

Thanks for reading,

Eric

You are a kind and generous person, the little man is lucky know you.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2018, 01:44:55 PM »
 :bigok: and a bit  :'(
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline oilhed

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »

You are a kind and generous person, the little man is lucky know you.

What he said!  God bless you and that little cuttie.
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT