Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CTX1300 Deluxe  (Read 14494 times)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
CTX1300 Deluxe
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
I'm sure I'll get flogged for bringing up this bike but I'm tempted to purchase one. The deluxe comes with Bluetooth Audio, anti-lock brakes, self-cancelling turn signals, traction control which can be had for 10.5k new old stock. I went and looked at one today and its really better looking in person. I've always loved the V4 and this bike at that price point is a lot of bike to me. I don't much care for the slate blue but they have a black one in crate.

Thoughts?

Eric
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:17:11 AM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
Re: CTX1300 Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:59:39 PM »
Thoughts?

It's ugly - it's slow - it's resale value = o, it's boring to ride, aftermarket goodies = 0, bags are small & don't come off easy, Honda builds bikes they think we should be riding - not what we want to ride!

BUT - WTF do I know, I ride a stupid Honda Valkryie. Another bike they can't give away!
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
It looks like it can easily rack up some miles!
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
We can't accurately poo poo you until we know what attracts you to a perfectly nice, but totally useless, motorcycle.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Pair of vintage Concii
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »
Thoughts are to never ask anybody's thoughts...see if you can take it for a ride.  If you like it, buy it. 

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »
Well for power I have all I can handle with the 1290 SA. I've been buying scooters in disrepair all summer and fixing them up and turned enough profit to pay cash for it.

Yikes! Sam don't hold back! lol Have you ridden one?

What do I like about? Super comfy, seriously one of the most comfortable bikes I've been on out of the box. The V4 isn't detuned as some would say but re-tuned for low end torque. I really don't want a land rocket. The motor is seamless and transfers zero to the rider regarding vibes or buzz in the handlebars. I mean none. Boring to ride is subjective as I found it handles pretty good for a large(ish) bike. Aftermarket goodies? Honda has quite a few goodies actually, heated handgrips, backrest, topcase, 12 accessory socket, centerstand, many chrome tidbit (which I despise), fog lights, led fog lights, tall screen. As for a fart muffler and power commander idk, nor would I want them.

Yes I have ridden it and it's deceivingly a real joy to ride. Stats on paper don't tell the true story (to me). As for bag size, yes they're not big enough in the sense you cannot stow a full face helmet. My wife has medical issues that permanently took her off the grid as my riding partner so I travel alone. It stows more than enough for me traveling alone. I'm not sure I understand the useless remark? It's no more useless to me then a any GW, F6B, Valkryie, and any other land yacht.

So I guess it's a hell of a lot of bike for the $$, throw in bluetooth, TC, ABS, on the tried and true ST1300 powertrain. I personally love the useable torque for daily commutes vs. top end power that I rarely visit. Will it sport tour? I think so nicely... I too felt it was ugly till I looked at one in person and took on a different persona with me.

With that said, there's my thoughts on the one year wonder that Honda really did miss the mark badly on this bike but at it's current price it ticks a lot of my boxes starting with the dead president$.

I knew I was going to get clubbed on this abomination.  :beerchug: What can I say I've been riding MGs for the last decade, I tend to like the ugly redheaded stepchildren. ;)

Eric
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:38:39 PM by Virginian »

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:04:14 PM »
You were funnin' us all along. You knew you wanted this bike. You don't need affirmation from a bunch of useless hags like us.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 02:13:58 AM »
I think it's kinda neat. I don't want one but it's still cool. I don't think I'd kick it out of the garage* for eating crackers. It has just enough 'Akira-ness' without being too like the Vultus (which had too much 'Akira-ness' to be truly cool). If you want one you should buy it.

*I don't actually have a garage, but if I had one I wouldn't object to one of these in it.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

S-T.o -OH!

Offline Drew_79

• Motorcycles: R1200ST
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:23 AM »
Don't know much about them, but from the pictures I like the  looks of it.  Looks comfortable.  If it has a reliable drive train and it's affordable, why not? 

--Drew
The snozberries taste like snozberries...

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 06:42:20 AM »
Yikes! Sam don't hold back! lol Have you ridden one?

Sorry Eric, wrong thread.  :lol:

Kidding aside, it does have a lot of nice features, just plan on giving it away if you decide to sell...

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Will Ride For Food
    • Tilted Horizons (on hiatus)
  • Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:19:30 PM »
I've ridden one; super comfy and handles better than I thought it would. I'd install a bigger windshield and do something about the god-awful-useless mirrors pronto.  Otherwise, I think it'd be a pretty good mile muncher.  Plenty of luggage space for a careful packer IMO, but then I'm a minimalist traveler.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 05:59:38 PM »
Just curious, has Honda fixed the heat issue reported on the st13 when they designed the ctx1300?
Ride safe!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
Just curious, has Honda fixed the heat issue reported on the st13 when they designed the ctx1300?

I can't help you on this question.  :(

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
Well I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I'll happily take on the role of St.o piƱata and all passer by's swing at me with a stick in hopes treats fall out of my muffler!
 :deadhorse:

I found a candy red one in Cumberland at Timbrook Honda and cut a deal. I picked it up last Friday 09/02. Tomorrow's my bday and turning 54 so this is a bday gift for myself that I worked very hard for saving up over the summer.

Convincing Mrs Virginian to drive up to Cumberland on Labor Day weekend was no short order!

Here's a few pics when I first laid eyes on her.  :inlove: Hey! Even the chubby ones need love'n too! ;)

On a side note I wanted a top box and as luck would have it, this one already had one mounted. I used that as a negotiating tool to try and get them to come down on the cost of it. They normally run $750, they threw it in for $300. ;) odd that they didn't add the keyed lock cylinder for it but they ordered one as well and it should be here soon.

I started my trek home traveling through three states. Maryland, West Virginia and finally Virginia. Cumberland has some stellar roads to travel on as well as the WV panhandle. What a treat to get to ride home on some of these roads.

I took 40 to 51 through Spring Gap into Paw Paw, WV. Picked up 9 to 522 to Winchester, VA. Took 340 out to Luray to drop in on my niece and from Luray I took 211 back to 522 and that brought me home to Spotsylvania. Killer first ride!

I saw so many beautiful photo ops but had no real place to pullover and take a pic. Sorry folks.. The skies were amazing that day!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:29:36 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 04:11:44 PM »
Entering Paw Paw  8)

I installed a $12 ram mount before I left so I have my nav to work from. Worked like a champ!

The sun was setting quick and cast shadows on the hills.

I stopped in Culpeper for a quick breather. Almost home.

I rolled into the garage at 9:15 pooped and covered in bugs. 247  miles the first day. Loved it!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:24:17 AM by Virginian »

Offline viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »
Wow! You don't mess around, do you?

I think the CTX1300 is just the biggest scooter EVAR. And you are Scooter Boy.  ;)  Just wonder how often that KTM will get ridden. :popcorn:

:couch:
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »
Hurricane Hermine made for a tough day on Saturday but I snuck in a few short runs to the store.

So I cleaned all the bugs off and got a fresh coat of carnauba wax on.

As the sun set it was another epic sky!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:31:04 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »
Wow! You don't mess around, do you?

I think the CTX1300 is just the biggest scooter EVAR. And you are Scooter Boy.  ;)  Just wonder how often that KTM will get ridden. :popcorn:

:couch:

Ha! I'm having fun and out on two wheels. I have another camping trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway coming up soon on the Katoom! ;) Thanks for reading.

Eric
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:52:25 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:33:56 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »
I've got my first 600 miles under my belt and thought I would share a few cheers and jeers.

Let's use a scale of 1 to 5 stars, one being terrible and 5 being terrific.

- Seating: All day comfort and no issues as I've already spent many hours in the saddle in a short period of time. 4.5 Stars
- Powerband/torque: Wow, simply put amazing in any gear. Many times I was in 4th thinking I was in 5th gear. 4.5 Stars
- Gas mileage: Best tank so far averaged 47 mpg U.S. For a bike this size 5 Stars!
- Fit and finish: The fit and finish is typical Honda, darn good. Deduct 1 star for the battery access issues. 4.0 Stars
- Mirrors: What can I say, they're a non-issue for me and work well. 4.0 Stars
- Audio system/BluTooth: Too soon to rate as I haven't messed with it too much. TBD
- Instrumentation: Simply put, I love it! 5.0 Stars!
- Luggage: Yes, they could be a tad bigger but I'm more than fine with them. Love the topbox. 4.0 Stars
- Engine: The tried and true V4 is hard to beat. I prefer the detuned variant of this motor. I didn't want a land rocket. 5.0 Stars.
- Stock short windshield: This little screen works very well for me here in the hot south. Yes, I'll install a OEM tall when it gets cold. I get clean air around my helmet and I enjoy the undistorted view of the road directly in front of me. 4.0 Stars
- Passenger accommodations: I have no thoughts yet as I haven't given any rides yet. TDB
- Lighting: The LED headlights and tail lights are a standout feature. As good as it get in this industry. 5.0 Stars
- Aerodynamics: Crosswinds are a non issue. The CTX just shrugs it off naturally & effortlessly. Standout feature! 5.0 Stars
- Ergonomics: I'm tall so in a way it's not fair for me to comment about my knees hitting. They hit on just about every bike. No fatigue after 8 hours non-stop in the saddle. Stand out feature! 5.0 Stars
- Cornering: For a bike this size (700+ lbs) it's surefooted and offers good feedback to the rider as well as very acceptable albeit deceiving cornering ability. I did manage to drag the feelers on the pegs just a bit to see the limits. 4.5 Stars
- Stock tires: Too soon to tell for longevity but they hold beautifully in the twisties. No rain riding yet so TBD
- Brakes: I can't say I'm a fan of linked braking but it's really a non-issue for me in the end. They stop the heavy beast just fine with no fading when they get warmed up. 4.5 Stars.
- Transmission: It could use a 6th gear, no doubt about it. Cruising at 80ish the RPMs are in the 4k range seems a tad high. The only caveat on the 6th gear would be for better fuel mileage. I did have a false neutral between 3rd and 4th. It hasn't happened again since. 3.5 Stars
- Fuel range: I've read others stating they wish they had more. I'm more than fine with the fuel range of this bike. Effective range 235 miles per tank. To each their own! 4.0 Stars
- Suspension: Too soon to tell. I have to to adjust it and get some seat time before I comment. For now I'll rate it somewhere between 3.5 - 4.5 Stars.

So there's a few thoughts to ponder or poke at. I love this bike for what it is and what it does for me. Thanks for reading.

Eric
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:00:29 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
I'm out running errands to day and had to go to DMV to get my hard tags and pay the tag & title fees. We live next to a very small town called Mineral in Louisa County. A couple years ago we had an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.8 that was felt from the Canadian border to Florida. Mineral was the epicenter was here. Schools and homes were pummeled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Virginia_earthquake

Here's pic of the railroad crossing in Mineral

This used to be our DMV and was originally Bank of Louisa. It was great to walk in with a total staff of 2 people and no lines to get your paperwork done on motor vehicles. It's now a coffee shop.

Now they've gone big time :rolleyes:

As I started back home, here came the train! :)

I made my appointment for this Friday at noon to get the 600 mile service done.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:36:10 AM by Virginian »

Offline olderigetfasteriam

• Motorcycles: Concours, VTR250, AT125
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 06:26:13 PM »
Looks great to me, enjoy!

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »
I'd love for someone to buy me the little version of this bike. I like the 700 quite a bit.

$.02
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:35 AM »
That is a nice looking topcase.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
I'd love for someone to buy me the little version of this bike. I like the 700 quite a bit.

$.02

Give it a couple years, one will cycle through your garage in disrepair. ;) Hope you get one Chris.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »
That is a nice looking topcase.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »
Nothing epic today. 50 miles loop to the grocery store and I took the long way. Here's a couple of historical markers here in Spotsylvania. I have a 600 mile trip coming up starting tomorrow and hope to have a few pics from that ride.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:29:24 PM by Virginian »

Offline Bryan.VFR

• Motorcycles: SOLD - 2007 Honda VFR800
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 07:11:41 AM »
I'm not a cruiser fan. I think the vast majority of them look like they were styled 50+ years ago. But this has intrigued me for a while now. It's nice to see somebody enjoy it and really give us all the details. If I were to consider going the cruiser/bagger route, this would be at the top of my list. I'm curious as to how the pillion seat is. My wife doesn't ride much anymore, due to the kids, but if she were to hop on the back more regularly, I would consider something like this as I suspect it would be more comfortable (for her) than my VFR.

Though honestly, I'd have a hard time parting with the VFR. I've had it about 7 years now (don't ride nearly as much as I'd like) and it still suits me just fine. I have zero interest in replacing it. Hmm, I guess I'd have to have 2 bikes then... ;D

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »
I love Harley-Davidson reviews.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2016, 07:40:12 PM »
Congrats on the new scoot you bike whore.  :)
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »
Congrats on the new scoot you bike whore.  :)

Takes one to know one, haaa haaaaaaaa!

this signature on hold pending review

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 11:13:19 PM »
You guys crack me up! lmao!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 11:17:07 PM »
I'm not a cruiser fan. I think the vast majority of them look like they were styled 50+ years ago. But this has intrigued me for a while now. It's nice to see somebody enjoy it and really give us all the details. If I were to consider going the cruiser/bagger route, this would be at the top of my list. I'm curious as to how the pillion seat is. My wife doesn't ride much anymore, due to the kids, but if she were to hop on the back more regularly, I would consider something like this as I suspect it would be more comfortable (for her) than my VFR.

Though honestly, I'd have a hard time parting with the VFR. I've had it about 7 years now (don't ride nearly as much as I'd like) and it still suits me just fine. I have zero interest in replacing it. Hmm, I guess I'd have to have 2 bikes then... ;D

Bryan,

No joke or fluff, this is the most comfortable bike I've ridden in ages. I can't comment on the pillion but I will extend an invite anytime for you to come down from CT and you and the Mrs. to have a go at it for a couple hours. PM if you wish to call my bluff.  8) In the meantime I'll do my best to review with facts as I see them. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Eric

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »
I got up at 6:30 this morning to try and beat the heat. The goal was to beat the heat as today was another scorcher and hit the road early. Lake Anna was like a mirror this morning. I love this time of year after all the folks have headed home and the kids are back in school. It's like having the lake to yourself.

Slammed a cup of Java and headed back to Cumberland for my first service. To me it's not the destination but the journey.

I stopped at the Shawnee Market just before the WV state line for a breather 125 miles into the ride.

There's a cider mill up on the hill that locals use to make apple pie (allegedly ;) ) cut with moonshine.

Some Random shots...

Getting hammered by bugs today.

Some more random shots of Allegany, MD

[/[url=https://ejohnson-photography.smugmug.com/14-Honda-CTX1300-Deluxe/i-mp9BTZZ/A]visitors can't see pics , please register or login
url]

Downtown Cumberland, MD.

There's a story about this overlook. Apparently way back in a day a young couple that loved each other but their families forbid it so the leap off the cliff together to their demise.

I had my first service done, topbox keyed to my ignition key, Battery Tender lead put on while they were in there. They wire tied it to a convenient place.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:50:35 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 11:42:57 PM »
Where my niece lives its super hilly with uneven cobblestone brick. Yikes!

I have family here in Cumberland so I got to pig out at the Rocky Gap Casino! Yum!

It was my birthday recently and we went out for Mexican for supper. Yes... they did the sombrero bit with them all singing. Smashed fried ice cream in my face. You could have bought me for a dime.

Today was a very good day in life. 600 miles on my bike, time spent with loved ones and good food.

Life is good and thanks for reading.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:52:38 PM by Virginian »

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
Yay fun! :bigok:
Happy belated birthday, man!

PS. Nice bike. :thumbsup:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

S-T.o -OH!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
I got up this morning and the clouds set in on the mountains. Today will be another steamy hot day so I'm going to try and get the bulk of my riding in early this morning.

Heading out of town.

I've passed by this Historical Marker quite a few times so I decided to stop and have a look-see.

Not much else for the day as I'm pressed for time. My sister had her hip replaced and I'm assisting her at home with the daily tasks of life. It sucks watching family grow old right before your very eyes... Onwards and upwards!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:52:12 AM by Virginian »

Online kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »
Not a fan of your bike but I love your posts of hysterical markers.  :smiley_thumb:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2016, 07:48:18 PM »
Not a fan of your bike but I love your posts of hysterical markers.  :smiley_thumb:

Thank you kind sir!

Online tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
The bike is starting to grow on me.  Seems very functional for the riding me and the wife are looking to do. The handlebars scare me though.  Seem like an odd bend...Do they end up hurting your wrists? Thanks for posting.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »
The bike is starting to grow on me.  Seems very functional for the riding me and the wife are looking to do. The handlebars scare me though.  Seem like an odd bend...Do they end up hurting your wrists? Thanks for posting.

That's a very good question. Honda "makes" the dealer set them at a specific angle which imo opinion is quite high. When i got it home and lowered them to a suitable height, they're quite nice. So I have them set quite low and they clear your elbows as an added benefit to you have a good unobstructed view to properly see the rearview mirrors.

Regarding the odd bend, you're spot on. They're kind of extended to accommodate the longish front end. The very first time I laid eyes on this bike Judas Priest Painkiller album art and Judge Dread came to mind. If you actually take the time to sit on one and maybe get a chance to ride one, it 's quite an amazing bike for reasons that are off the beaten path.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:53:36 AM by Virginian »

Offline nevinfs327

• Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler; Kawasaki W650; Suzuki TU250
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2016, 10:16:21 AM »
Enjoying the photo-heavy thread of some very nice riding areas.  I was just there in my car a few weeks back on a the exact same roads. 

Appreciate the review of a bike that looks really capable, and without being seen in action wouldn't have ever got a second look from me.  Honda did a really nice job designing the exhaust coming out of the transverse 4, in a Motus meets cruiser kind of way.  Keep up the photos!

Offline olderigetfasteriam

• Motorcycles: Concours, VTR250, AT125
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
Thanks for all the pics. The more I look, the more I like. Especially the pipes.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »
Enjoying the photo-heavy thread of some very nice riding areas.  I was just there in my car a few weeks back on a the exact same roads. 

Appreciate the review of a bike that looks really capable, and without being seen in action wouldn't have ever got a second look from me.  Honda did a really nice job designing the exhaust coming out of the transverse 4, in a Motus meets cruiser kind of way.  Keep up the photos!
Thanks for stopping by, reading and commenting. I really appreciate it!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »
Thanks for all the pics. The more I look, the more I like. Especially the pipes.

Well if you're in the neighborhood, reach out to me and you're welcome to have a go on mine. Thanks for reading and commenting. Very much appreciated.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
Went on a short ride yesterday. It's been raining real frog stranglers here lately.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:55:52 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »
Winter is on the way so I'm prepping the CTX for cold weather. I purchased an OEM tall windshield off fleabay and thought I would post a few comments as I just installed it. I read the service manual and I could not believe the amount of Tupperware they instructed to remove to install the windshield. So I googled it and found this fellows video. Very helpful! Gotta love YouTube! You can make the swap of your windshield only having to remove the mirror covers.

New one screwed on.

Polished up all the bits and pieces that were covered from the mask. Installed some velcro on the new shield in the same place at the short one.

All set for old man winter!

I've only put a couple hundred miles on it with the tall windshield and it was a huge difference. A really nice pocket of air. I've never really rode a bike with such prominent holes in the windshield as this OEM has. It certainly works well for me. I'm still getting airflow on my helmet. I must say it really takes on a much different personality with the tall windshield. More proper so to speak...

I purchased a dock kit for my TomTom off amazon for $39 and I'm in the process of mounting that so I can just pop on my nav off the KTM.

I also installed an OEM 12V accessory outlet that is housed under the seat and got that project done. Good to go for heated gear.

Next up OEM heated handgrips. I just ordered mine from bikebandit.com, they also had a coupon for 10% off dropping the price down to $197 delivered. So I'll be tackling this project as well soon.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:00:35 PM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
So I went out for a ride this afternoon, first time with no rain in a week!

Spotsylvania Courthouse

So many soldiers have died right on the very soil I'm standing on let alone the Virginian's that died fighting for this great country...

Continued over to the hardware store to pickup some stainless steel screws to mount my nav. There's a new Indian store there and they were have a demo day. The place was packed!

So I skedaddled down US 95 to air the CTX out a little and on Exit 118, Thornburg exit houses the newest NASCAR track in the country. They just opened it.

Hmmm? Maybe I should take the Big Bottomed Beauty (AKA Hondapotamus) out  for a lap or two?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:43:57 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
Next Stop General Stonewall's Shrine.

As I near the entrance a freight train came rolling through.

Love trains!

Just over the railroad tracks is the entrance to the Shrine.

Very nice entry way into the park.

What's significant about this area regarding General Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson is he was wounded by friendly fire in Chancellorsville, VA, died in Guinea, VA, and he was buried at Lexington, VA. More on that later...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:03:22 AM by Virginian »