Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CTX1300 Deluxe  (Read 12876 times)

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '17 Yamaha FZ-10 '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma
CTX1300 Deluxe
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
I'm sure I'll get flogged for bringing up this bike but I'm tempted to purchase one. The deluxe comes with Bluetooth Audio, anti-lock brakes, self-cancelling turn signals, traction control which can be had for 10.5k new old stock. I went and looked at one today and its really better looking in person. I've always loved the V4 and this bike at that price point is a lot of bike to me. I don't much care for the slate blue but they have a black one in crate.

Thoughts?

Eric
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:17:11 AM by Virginian »
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
Re: CTX1300 Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:59:39 PM »
Thoughts?

It's ugly - it's slow - it's resale value = o, it's boring to ride, aftermarket goodies = 0, bags are small & don't come off easy, Honda builds bikes they think we should be riding - not what we want to ride!

BUT - WTF do I know, I ride a stupid Honda Valkryie. Another bike they can't give away!
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
It looks like it can easily rack up some miles!
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
We can't accurately poo poo you until we know what attracts you to a perfectly nice, but totally useless, motorcycle.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Pair of vintage Concii
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »
Thoughts are to never ask anybody's thoughts...see if you can take it for a ride.  If you like it, buy it. 

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »
Well for power I have all I can handle with the 1290 SA. I've been buying scooters in disrepair all summer and fixing them up and turned enough profit to pay cash for it.

Yikes! Sam don't hold back! lol Have you ridden one?

What do I like about? Super comfy, seriously one of the most comfortable bikes I've been on out of the box. The V4 isn't detuned as some would say but re-tuned for low end torque. I really don't want a land rocket. The motor is seamless and transfers zero to the rider regarding vibes or buzz in the handlebars. I mean none. Boring to ride is subjective as I found it handles pretty good for a large(ish) bike. Aftermarket goodies? Honda has quite a few goodies actually, heated handgrips, backrest, topcase, 12 accessory socket, centerstand, many chrome tidbit (which I despise), fog lights, led fog lights, tall screen. As for a fart muffler and power commander idk, nor would I want them.

Yes I have ridden it and it's deceivingly a real joy to ride. Stats on paper don't tell the true story (to me). As for bag size, yes they're not big enough in the sense you cannot stow a full face helmet. My wife has medical issues that permanently took her off the grid as my riding partner so I travel alone. It stows more than enough for me traveling alone. I'm not sure I understand the useless remark? It's no more useless to me then a any GW, F6B, Valkryie, and any other land yacht.

So I guess it's a hell of a lot of bike for the $$, throw in bluetooth, TC, ABS, on the tried and true ST1300 powertrain. I personally love the useable torque for daily commutes vs. top end power that I rarely visit. Will it sport tour? I think so nicely... I too felt it was ugly till I looked at one in person and took on a different persona with me.

With that said, there's my thoughts on the one year wonder that Honda really did miss the mark badly on this bike but at it's current price it ticks a lot of my boxes starting with the dead president$.

I knew I was going to get clubbed on this abomination.  :beerchug: What can I say I've been riding MGs for the last decade, I tend to like the ugly redheaded stepchildren. ;)

Eric
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:38:39 PM by Virginian »

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:04:14 PM »
You were funnin' us all along. You knew you wanted this bike. You don't need affirmation from a bunch of useless hags like us.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 02:13:58 AM »
I think it's kinda neat. I don't want one but it's still cool. I don't think I'd kick it out of the garage* for eating crackers. It has just enough 'Akira-ness' without being too like the Vultus (which had too much 'Akira-ness' to be truly cool). If you want one you should buy it.

*I don't actually have a garage, but if I had one I wouldn't object to one of these in it.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

S-T.o -OH!

Offline Drew_79

• Motorcycles: R1200ST
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:23 AM »
Don't know much about them, but from the pictures I like the  looks of it.  Looks comfortable.  If it has a reliable drive train and it's affordable, why not? 

--Drew
The snozberries taste like snozberries...

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 06:42:20 AM »
Yikes! Sam don't hold back! lol Have you ridden one?

Sorry Eric, wrong thread.  :lol:

Kidding aside, it does have a lot of nice features, just plan on giving it away if you decide to sell...

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Will Ride For Food
    • Tilted Horizons (on hiatus)
  • Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:19:30 PM »
I've ridden one; super comfy and handles better than I thought it would. I'd install a bigger windshield and do something about the god-awful-useless mirrors pronto.  Otherwise, I think it'd be a pretty good mile muncher.  Plenty of luggage space for a careful packer IMO, but then I'm a minimalist traveler.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 05:59:38 PM »
Just curious, has Honda fixed the heat issue reported on the st13 when they designed the ctx1300?
Ride safe!

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
Just curious, has Honda fixed the heat issue reported on the st13 when they designed the ctx1300?

I can't help you on this question.  :(

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
Well I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. I'll happily take on the role of St.o piƱata and all passer by's swing at me with a stick in hopes treats fall out of my muffler!
 :deadhorse:

I found a candy red one in Cumberland at Timbrook Honda and cut a deal. I picked it up last Friday 09/02. Tomorrow's my bday and turning 54 so this is a bday gift for myself that I worked very hard for saving up over the summer.

Convincing Mrs Virginian to drive up to Cumberland on Labor Day weekend was no short order!

Here's a few pics when I first laid eyes on her.  :inlove: Hey! Even the chubby ones need love'n too! ;)

On a side note I wanted a top box and as luck would have it, this one already had one mounted. I used that as a negotiating tool to try and get them to come down on the cost of it. They normally run $750, they threw it in for $300. ;) odd that they didn't add the keyed lock cylinder for it but they ordered one as well and it should be here soon.

I started my trek home traveling through three states. Maryland, West Virginia and finally Virginia. Cumberland has some stellar roads to travel on as well as the WV panhandle. What a treat to get to ride home on some of these roads.

I took 40 to 51 through Spring Gap into Paw Paw, WV. Picked up 9 to 522 to Winchester, VA. Took 340 out to Luray to drop in on my niece and from Luray I took 211 back to 522 and that brought me home to Spotsylvania. Killer first ride!

I saw so many beautiful photo ops but had no real place to pullover and take a pic. Sorry folks.. The skies were amazing that day!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:29:36 AM by Virginian »

Online Virginian

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 04:11:44 PM »
Entering Paw Paw  8)

I installed a $12 ram mount before I left so I have my nav to work from. Worked like a champ!

The sun was setting quick and cast shadows on the hills.

I stopped in Culpeper for a quick breather. Almost home.

I rolled into the garage at 9:15 pooped and covered in bugs. 247  miles the first day. Loved it!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:24:17 AM by Virginian »