Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Talk to me about running  (Read 12415 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
Re: Talk to me about running
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2018, 12:19:53 PM »
Turns out, it hurts.  It's been a long time since I have been chased by anything that can do me bodily harm.  I probably haven't intentionally run farther than the width of a busy street in, oh....  10 - 15 years.  This freaking puppy is getting faster and faster and it's in our best interest to wear him out when the opportunity presents.  So, lately, I've found myself running my fat #$$ up the driveway or on some various trails just to try to keep this little land piranha from bouncing off the walls.  While it's probably literally going to add years to my life when all said and done, the body doesn't adjust well to that type of pounding all at once.   But you can't fall off the floor.  Gotta start somewhere. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
And if you’re overweight, It hurts all the more so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
My weight is perfect.

I'm just a foot and a half too short. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2018, 06:04:44 AM »
Land piranhas will get you motivated. I took mine for a two mile run Sunday morning. It was 27 degrees and I was comfy in bed. Without her, I would have stayed another hour or two.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
Turns out, it hurts.  It's been a long time since I have been chased by anything that can do me bodily harm.  I probably haven't intentionally run farther than the width of a busy street in, oh....  10 - 15 years.  This freaking puppy is getting faster and faster and it's in our best interest to wear him out when the opportunity presents.  So, lately, I've found myself running my fat #$$ up the driveway or on some various trails just to try to keep this little land piranha from bouncing off the walls.  While it's probably literally going to add years to my life when all said and done, the body doesn't adjust well to that type of pounding all at once.   But you can't fall off the floor.  Gotta start somewhere.

Maybe I could run with your land piranha if we lived in the same city.   :)

I go by the local SPCA on one of my running routes. I sometimes have thoughts of stopping to see if there are well trained dogs there that need a bit of exercise but I never did stop.

One time I was running in the City of Moncton NB where I live and this dog who was obviously lost started to follow me thinking he found a friend. He followed me home running in and out of traffic and getting vehicles to swerve, brake and beep their horns to miss him. Some were yelling at me to get my dog off the road and there is nothing I could do to stop him. When I got home I couldn't find a dog tag on him to help identify who was the owner. I got him in the car and dropped him at the SPCA. I called a couple days later and was saddened when they told me he bit someone and they had to put him down.       

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2018, 07:49:41 AM »
Bummer of a story Acadian, but at least you tried to help him.

The GSD loves to go running.  She is just a helluva lot at doing it than me and takes me out kinda hard.   I've got to work on holding her back a little more at the start of a run so that doesn't run me out of gas so soon.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
That is sad. I had a boxer turn up at my house while I snowblowing. Two stroke blasting away, turned around and he was 3 feet from me. Scared the crap out of me. Did not mind the snowblower. Gave him some treats, started walking him around the hood.  Saw a panicky owner running down the street. Owner was mortified..
Where am I?

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2018, 05:32:35 PM »
So far this year I've done 3 races. The first two were odd distance races at 13 km and 15 km but they were perfect tune up race for the half marathon I ran yesterday. The weatherman gave us perfect weather for the event which was run on a flat, fast and certified course.

Based on last year’s last 10k race (51:50) I knew that I still had it in me to do a half marathon under two hours and I did just that yesterday with a chip time of 1:59:13 and a gun time of 1:59:52. That gave me a 10th place out of 28 in my men age category of 60-69 and 249 out of 616 overall.

Now I can say that I ran a sub two hour half marathon at 62.   

Next race is a 10k race on May 27 and then I'm off on 6-7 week MC trip. Can't wait. 

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
So far this year I've done 3 races. The first two were odd distance races at 13 km and 15 km but they were perfect tune up race for the half marathon I ran yesterday. The weatherman gave us perfect weather for the event which was run on a flat, fast and certified course.

Based on last year’s last 10k race (51:50) I knew that I still had it in me to do a half marathon under two hours and I did just that yesterday with a chip time of 1:59:13 and a gun time of 1:59:52. That gave me a 10th place out of 28 in my men age category of 60-69 and 249 out of 616 overall.

Now I can say that I ran a sub two hour half marathon at 62.   

Next race is a 10k race on May 27 and then I'm off on 6-7 week MC trip. Can't wait.

Awesome! good times too! Beat a lot of younguns.
Where am I?

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »
Sooo... this weekend is the Joggin for Frogmen 5K and both Mrs and I have signed up for it.   The good news is that Hurricane Michael should move through here on Friday and be gone by Saturday.   The bad news is this event takes place on a grass air strip.  After the rain from Michael its going to be like running through a swamp   :-[

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2018, 05:37:53 AM »
Sounds sloppy. Golf shoes? Baseball cleats?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:11:36 AM by Max Wedge »
Where am I?

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2018, 08:15:41 PM »

My neighbor uses a bicycle to walk his dogs. He has 2 dogs and there is a leash buddy for the bike that allows the dogs to run but they can't get away.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2018, 04:28:58 AM »
When Oscar was a pup walking/running/etc did nothing.  Dogs bred to hunt all day just don't tire from it.  We only found that HOURS of swimming would knock the edge off.

If I ran anywhere today I'd probably drop dead before getting there for various reasons.

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2018, 05:12:14 AM »
I would love to try bicyling with Sadie.  But I'd probably have to start out wearing full ATGATT.