Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Talk to me about running  (Read 10725 times)

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: Talk to me about running
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2016, 08:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the links. I definitely respect the distance. Working my way up there, at least while the weather cooperates.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
It was the NYC Marathon today.  Someone I know who is over 60 ran a 3:58:54.  He must be pretty excited about that time. 

If you train for the next one it would give you 364 days and 14 hours and 25 minutes to train.   :bigsmile:  Maybe Chicago would make more sense for you. 

I can tell you from experience that there is nothing like running a big city marathon with thousands of other runners.   

Offline steveoreno

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »
Looks like lots of good advice given here so I will put my 2 cents in.  Eat healthy, stay away from processed foods, stick to the famous pyramid.  Go to a running specialty store and take the shoes you run in the most so they can analyze how you run.  If the store is worthwhile they will have a treadmill with a camera so they can analyze your running style and fit you into the best shoe for you.  Don't be afraid to pay a little more for the shoes, think of them as helmets for your feet.
      When it comes to training at our age patience and persistence is the key.  Take it slow and easy don't run too much on hard surfaces and give yourself at least one rest day a week and always stretch before and after running.
      I have run lots of 5K's, 10K's, the Indy Mini-Marathon 4 or 5 times, ran 5 full marathons and nearly got under 3 hours many years ago.  I still run in short runs and enjoy the bigger events for the fun and fellowship more than the competition anymore.  Have fun!

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »
Now that 2016 is over I thought that I would post my numbers for the year. 

Until July I was doing single runs of 3.2 miles.  Starting in July I picked up after my Ireland trip and MC trip. 

Here are the numbers: 

Miles: 610
Runs: 162
Miles per run: 3.77
Longest single run: 7 miles

During the year I dropped about 20lbs and I hope to drop another 10 this year.  If I can do that I'll probably try a half marathon in the fall. 

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2017, 07:27:21 AM »
I don't know what my total mileage was but my normal was in the 3.1 mile range with my longest at just over 6 miles.  At one point this summer I was down 35 lbs on the year, but 10 of that has crept back with the colder weather.  Still I'm starting out 2017 in far better shape than I did 2016.

This still best describes my running  :P

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
In an apparent effort to spark winter motivation, a certain friend of mine started a "Step Challenge" in the MapMyRun app.

But it appears that neither of our activity trackers synch daily step totals to the MMR database.  This is going to one boring challenge   :P

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
In an apparent effort to spark winter motivation, a certain friend of mine started a "Step Challenge" in the MapMyRun app.

But it appears that neither of our activity trackers synch daily step totals to the MMR database.  This is going to one boring challenge   :P

Actually it wasn't meant to spark anything, it was an open app/sweaty hands/buttons pushed when retrieving out of pocket "challenge" I couldn't back out of it.  :lol:

How about where it says 'steps', we swap them for Martitni's, because it can't track that, and I might be able to win. I'm at 4.
Where am I?

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »
HaaaHAAAA too funny!!     ;D ;D

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
Note to self: Close app as soon as you get off the treadmill.
Where am I?

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
We just lost a great runner. RIP Ed. 

Ed Whitlock has a pile of Masters records starting with the 1 mile record up to the marathon. Perhaps his best was running a 2:54:49 when he was 73. 

http://runningmagazine.ca/ed-whitlock-dies-at-86/

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2017, 05:40:50 AM »
We just lost a great runner. RIP Ed. 

Ed Whitlock has a pile of Masters records starting with the 1 mile record up to the marathon. Perhaps his best was running a 2:54:49 when he was 73. 

http://runningmagazine.ca/ed-whitlock-dies-at-86/

RIP Ed.
Where am I?

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »
Well,

Despite all my grand plans to keep running through the winter...yea that didn't happen  :(.     So here come's spring and it's time to start over.  During the warm up we had a few weeks I laced up the old running shoes and got in a few neighborhood runs.   I tried to keep it easy, but probably pushed the distances a little to far too quick and ended up with a good case of shin splints.

Then it got colder again, so I had a good excuse to let the shin splints heal up.  I also hit up the local running store and scored a new pair kicks on deep discount as they were last years left-overs.  I've had pretty good luck going that route as it seems for some reason they never sell out on their size 15's.

I was able to get out last night with the new shoes.  Kept it easy and short and so far the shins don't feel too bad.

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
I've had pretty good luck going that route as it seems for some reason they never sell out on their size 15's.

Size 15!!!  :eek: You must be a giant. 

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:26 PM »
I've had pretty good luck going that route as it seems for some reason they never sell out on their size 15's.

Size 15!!!  :eek: You must be a giant.

That's what she said!   :chili: :chili:

I wouldn't exactly say giant, just grew flippers for feet. 

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Getting very discouraged. Have a half-marathon coming up in three weeks, but have not been able to get my distance back since taking high blood pressure medication. The nature of the medication is such that it makes it very hard to be/stay hydrated. I kept up with 15-20 miles a week through the winter, but trying to get 7 or 8 in one run feels harder than when I ran 15. I'm dying at seven, so i got some special hydration stuff as a last ditch attempt to get back where I was. If i can't get it back in the next week, I may have to pull myself out of the running.
Where am I?