Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Digital mixer  (Read 770 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Digital mixer
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »
EOE:

I am looking for a new digital mixer for school.  Our main gym has GREAT sound and a Behringer X32 rackmount controller.  It's a GREAT unit and does well.

We also have a multipurpose room that is used for chapels and such, and we need a new mixer for that.  The old Electro-voice analog in there is dying.  Commonly we'll run 2-3 guitars, a computer for some sound/video, a keyboard, and maybe 3 mics through it, but we'd like the ability to expand.

Any thoughts as to a decent digital unit?  We don't need a full x32 in there- and I'd rather have a standard (non-rackmount) unit in there for ease of operation, but the ability to control via phone or tablet would be great- that's super handy.  Our current EV is powered, so I'd need a powered mixer of need to add an amplifier.  For that matter I suppose it doesn't NEED to be digital, but I'd like to be forward thinking...

The multipurpose room isn't huge- there are 4 speakers in it.  Thanks!

"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
Re: Digital mixer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:32:49 PM »
I use Behringer mixers for music and podcast setups. I can send you a 5 or 8 channel to play around with to see if the feature set meets your needs.
this signature on hold pending review

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
The affordable Behringer digital mixers in the "X" series might be worth a look since you are already familiar with the X32. Familiarity / consistency has real value.

Personally, I'm about to spring for a Soundcraft ui24r. They also have some very affordable smaller versions to consider.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
I use Behringer mixers for music and podcast setups. I can send you a 5 or 8 channel to play around with to see if the feature set meets your needs.

Thanks for the offer- I already have a small mixer- I think we're going to go with the smaller X series garry mentioned- I was leaning that way...
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:19:10 AM »
I deleted the other post.  I think since we already have the Behringer X32 simply getting an XR16 makes the most sense.  It covers all the bases.

Now I'll just need an amplifier since we have ceiling mounted unpowered speakers.
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:00:25 AM »
I deleted the other post.  I think since we already have the Behringer X32 simply getting an XR16 makes the most sense.  It covers all the bases.

Now I'll just need an amplifier since we have ceiling mounted unpowered speakers.

:thumbsup: The X8 is what I'd have probably sent, so you're already down a similar path.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:24 AM »
4- 8ohm speakers in the room- two Soundtube RS800i's and two older GSC speakers.  I'd think most basic amps should do it.  Any recommendations?
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »
4- 8ohm speakers in the room- two Soundtube RS800i's and two older GSC speakers.  I'd think most basic amps should do it.  Any recommendations?

Sweetwater has a pretty diverse range, if memory serves. I'm pretty out of touch with broad-room amps and speakers these days, but getting reacquainted as I'm helping Liz shop for guitar amps and guitar & vocal speakers. I think she's gonna pick up some bar gigs. :)

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 07:01:37 PM »
+1 on Sweetwater

Competitive pricing and it's money better spent that at Guitar Center. Their customer focus and follow-up are the best I've seen in a long time.

Any preferences between the Ui16 and the X Air X16? They're both the same price.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:19:06 PM »
Another +1 on Sweetwater. BUT, they now charge sales tax (boo). And they have been going through sales engineers like I change my underwear. Lots of turn over.

I know GC is a big box store for musical gear, but I regularly get 20% off coupons that are saving me hundreds of dollars over Sweetwater/online pricing. I recently saved $200 on my Helix LT. I expect to save another $200 on the Soundcraft ui24R I plan on buying. And I will save $320 on four EV ZLX12P powered monitors I will be buying. Behringer is eligible for the 20% off pricing too if you get the coupons.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »
We were at the local Guitar Center the other night. Absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced. It was clicquey as hell and we ended up leaving; liz ordered her amp online and GC can piss off. $.02/YMMV

(Guitar Center Wilmington, Naaman's Road)

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »
And their off-the-rack guitars are not kept well. I balk at anything on their racks; especially those nearest the doors where the temp swings are extreme. Acoustics get no RH control. I've gotten a few deals on used stuff but when I went to trade in a 5 string bass on a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass, I learned why.

Any preferences between the Ui16 and the X Air X16? They're both the same price.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21:14 AM »
Your comment about GCs poor service reminded me of the excellent service we used to get when we went to Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. That was 25-30 years ago, before the interwebstores. The musicians (and me) from the church worship team would spend most of a day there checking stuff out. Cool place, at least it was. Now my discretionary $$ go to other interests.  8)
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 09:52:56 AM »

Oh, was that for me? I don't have any first hand info, knowledge, or opinion on the Ui16. I've only used Behringer's X series stuff. I think they're largely feature compatible. I have the 5 and 8 retail desktop ones for podcasting stuff, and have worked with a couple of 16s channeled in to some studio work. Their price points and feature seats and ease of use make them solid choices, IMO. Fancy stuff can be done with software inserts and an even-average laptop or digibox.

Sometimes I look at the USB interfaces and USB-based mixers and my macbook pro and think "where the hell were you back when I was still doing studio tech". Man, if I had a time machine.... the coin you could make.  :lol:

It's all so commoditized any more, it barely makes any sense to shop beyond price and recognizable name any more. But I guess that's getting to be a thing across a variety of market spaces. For good or bad.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 07:17:40 PM »
Totally digital.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
I've only used Behringer's X series stuff. I think they're largely feature compatible. I have the 5 and 8 retail desktop ones for podcasting stuff, and have worked with a couple of 16s channeled in to some studio work. Their price points and feature seats and ease of use make them solid choices, IMO. Fancy stuff can be done with software inserts and an even-average laptop or digibox.

Thanks