Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Talk to me about running  (Read 10724 times)

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Talk to me about running
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
So I have started running, and have done a 5k with 9:52 a mile and run 4 miles at 10:48 a mile. So who here is a runner and what advice can you give a 55 year old guy who wants to do a 10k or maybe even a half marathon?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
Re: Talk to me about running
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »
Not going to happen here.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:01:58 PM »
If you can run 60% of the distance on a training run, you can run the event.  That is to say that if you can run 6K in training, a 10k race will be no problem.

Here's a tip that goes against popular thinking:  Don't worry much about hydration.  Seriously, it's overhyped.  If you drink enough water in your typical day, there is no need to worry about taking on additional fluids during your exercise.  Maybe a sip of water as you pass the aid station, but that's it.  Don't run with a bottle of water in your hand.

The reason I say this is that you simply don't lose that much water in any event lasting less than a couple of hours, and your stomach really doesn't need the stress of trying to absorb any fluids.  In the same thinking, don't drink right before the start.  Feel free to drink a bottle of water after your run, but not before or during.  Also, stay away from Gatorade and the like.  They don't supply you with what your body actually does need (if they did, they'd be so disgustingly salty you'd never get them down).  Just eat a reasonable diet and call it good.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 05:43:04 AM »
If you can run a 5k it's not that big of a stretch to do a 10k. Just try to add a little distance to your training runs each week. If you're regularly running 3 miles, up it to 3.5, then 3.75, etc. Whatever works for you.

Half marathon, I can't help with. I'm 53, been running for 30+ years, and the farthest I've ever gone is 8 miles. I run almost every day and love it, I just never had the desire for a really long run like a half or full marathon.

And +1 to Miles' thoughts on hydration. I never carry water with me. Drink up a little while before you run, and have as much as you feel you need when you get done.  :bigok:
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 06:37:06 AM »
These guys are missing the 55 year old part.

Here's my training tip:  There is only one number that really matters:  How many days have I been injury free.

At 55, you don't heal quickly.  Hamstring injury can take 6 months or more to heal adequately.  Mile times, weekly distance totals and race lengths will come, but only if you can go months (to years) without injurying yourself.  Change shoes frequently, it's cheap insurance.  Stay with a brand that fits your feet well.

From a 54 year old guy who's run several marathons, a ton of 1/2's, and a 22:30 5K at 53.

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the tips! I don't carry water, and I have two pairs of shoes I trade off between. So far, so good.
Interesting about the 60% number, I have been thinking I should be able to do the distance I am aiming for a couple of times before I do an event.
Where am I?

Online Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
Not going to happen here.

Perhaps if a dog were after me.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
It wears your knees out.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »
So I have started running, and have done a 5k with 9:52 a mile and run 4 miles at 10:48 a mile. So who here is a runner and what advice can you give a 55 year old guy who wants to do a 10k or maybe even a half marathon?

Humans are predators, and are better at sprinting. Long distance running is horrible for you in the long run (no pun intended).
this signature on hold pending review

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 10:34:17 AM »

Humans are predators, and are better at sprinting. Long distance running is horrible for you in the long run (no pun intended).

It wears your knees out.

So, I'm gonna disagree a bit with both of these.

Humans didn't predate by outracing prey.  They had a few methods including herding prey into traps of various sorts or basically pursuing until prey exhaustion (groups of humans jogging along until the prey could be caught--sort of how wild dogs hunt).   At 55, sprinting will break you down much faster than long distance running.

Knees are not the most common problem for runners.  Feet, ankles, hips and backs are more commonly affected with arthritis secondary to running.  Most knee problems aren't inside the knee but are actually tendons/ligaments around the knee (ileotibial band is pretty common)

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:35:10 AM »
I don't how much of a long run I have left, so I am trying stretch that out a little. Lesser of two evils? Perhaps this is what I have been saving my knees for...
Where am I?

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
I don't how much of a long run I have left, so I am trying stretch that out a little. Lesser of two evils? Perhaps this is what I have been saving my knees for...

If you're getting concussive injuries, stay off concrete surfaces as much as possible.  Run on the asphalt street instead of on the concrete sidewalks.  Concrete is brutally hard on bones and joints. 

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
It wears your "Feet, ankles, hips and backs" out.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
No injuries anywhere. Just a little muscle soreness but that goes away quickly. I'm kind of happily surprised, but careful/cautious anyway.
Where am I?

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »
So, I'm gonna disagree a bit with both of these.

Humans didn't predate by outracing prey.  They had a few methods including herding prey into traps of various sorts or basically pursuing until prey exhaustion (groups of humans jogging along until the prey could be caught--sort of how wild dogs hunt).   At 55, sprinting will break you down much faster than long distance running.

Knees are not the most common problem for runners.  Feet, ankles, hips and backs are more commonly affected with arthritis secondary to running.  Most knee problems aren't inside the knee but are actually tendons/ligaments around the knee (ileotibial band is pretty common)

Listen, you. You go right on ahead and keep your facts out of my self-absorbed whining about my broken down old body, you hear me??? :)
this signature on hold pending review