Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rent-a-bike near Alps?  (Read 14322 times)

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
Rent-a-bike near Alps?
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:22:25 AM »
After the Edelweiss tour (never, ever again - extended rant available on request or read my RR), I want to go back and do some more Alpine riding. I found one source in Frankfurt or Munich (both acceptable but prefer Munich) - HM Motorrad. The bad news is after socking it to me for a K1600 (trust me, I know what I'm doing - RT or GS are not options) they get me again for bags. Side bags, top case, and tank bag are charged out separately - nein danke.

At this point I'm back to collecting names for trip next summer (maybe - depending on SWMBO). Probably I'll be day tripping while SWMBO will be doing her tourist thing. Maybe we'll change pensions (a cut up from B&B's) during the trip (a week).

Re trust me - I know what I'm doing: try this K1600 video on for size...

(No, I don't run as fast as Jens - who won't tell his speeds on this video)
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
Re: Rent-a-bike near Alps?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »
Why not just by a local bike and store it at Steven Knopf's in Heidelberg? You come over here often enough it could be comparable to the cost of renting. Plus, it'll be "your" bike and set up just the way you like.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »
Rented from Moto Maier in Landshut near Munich a couple times.  Tell Hermann Ken sent you :)

Also Moto Mader in Oberentfelden near Zurich.  http://www.moto-mader.ch/de/startseite
IBA #37902

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »
Rented from Moto Maier in Landshut near Munich a couple times.  Tell Hermann Ken sent you :)

Also Moto Mader in Oberentfelden near Zurich.  http://www.moto-mader.ch/de/startseite

I've thought about it and looked at prices. For example, a K1200RS - somewhat higher than the US price for an equivalent bike and that price is in euros or plus 15-20%. Ignoring cost, it raises all the obvious issues of owning a German vehicle (licensing, insurance, TüV, usw.), possibly opening the door having to hold a German license (you probably have a sense of the cost for that), and ultimately storage (in-law's garage is a non-starter). And the bike would only see service in the summer. Much as I like the idea (a la Orson)... nah.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »

Thanks for jogging my recollection about Moto Mader (your F800GS came from there, right?). We've never even been to Landshut. Looking at a map, it opens up pieces of Bavaria we've never seen, as well as putting the Dolomites in range. Hmmm...

Did you compare prices with buying your GS in Germany, Austria, or Italy? IIRC, our Swiss friends near Zurich often make runs to Austria for significant savings on things like bicycles or other larger ticket items (€ vs ChF prices - even with a higher MwSt or possibly they reclaim it before leaving Austria) . The travel is basically a push, Monika has relatives in, I think, Vorarlberg, making it a trip to see cousin Ingobert & Co., too.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »
Thanks for jogging my recollection about Moto Mader (your F800GS came from there, right?).

You asked Ken this, but I can tell you that my F800 came from there and I can honestly recommend Moto Mader. Always top-notch and professional service when I go there  :thumbsup:

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
Daange! :)

Offline Keyf

• Motorcycles: GSX650F
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
A ride report from 2012 where Julie and I rented a couple of bikes in Landshut on our "make it up as you go along" trip. It may have been a bit better for you than the guided tour you were not overly fond of from your last trip.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,74236.0.html

Charlie
"I am sorry the crash broke your leg, but I was asking what brand oil that you use."-Charlie INTJ

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:02 PM »
Good RR! Too bad Grossglockner got away. It's on my to-do list for next time.

I looked at the Moto Mier site. OK, no BMW (denied a K1600 yet again!) but a Feejer with a 300 km/day limit? In July we didn't hit 300 km on any one day. The closest was 290 km And all days with mid-morning & afternoon stops longer than I'd go for. That puts 300 km well in reach. Any info on how hard and fast that limit is? Anything about 310 to and 290 tomorrow. That is, if it's a five day rental and the bike comes back with about 1500 on the clock, is that OK? I assume that's the case, but one never knows, do one.

The locations the tour went to were almost all OK (too bad about Mittenwald and Oberammergau but I've been there before). The problem was the part about not knowing what the rules were or weren't at any given time. Talk about Hells Angels blowing through towns!

I'm puzzled about how your wife's bike was nailed by the radar camera. I can't think of any automatic cameras with "from behind" functions. Something operated by the police might do it. If the camera caught her coming towards it, no plate should have been visible. No plate, no fine AFAIK. It's been 6 weeks plus since, coming down an autobahn, I sat for my portrait. I would expect to hear from Edelweiss, looking for whatever money is due, by now. Maybe I should just leave sleeping dogs lie.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »
I'm puzzled about how your wife's bike was nailed by the radar camera. I can't think of any automatic cameras with "from behind" functions.

They exist. Dan and I were hit by a rear-facing automatic camera and paid the price  :redface:

Offline Keyf

• Motorcycles: GSX650F
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
Good RR! Too bad Grossglockner got away. It's on my to-do list for next time.

I looked at the Moto Mier site. OK, no BMW (denied a K1600 yet again!) but a Feejer with a 300 km/day limit? In July we didn't hit 300 km on any one day. The closest was 290 km And all days with mid-morning & afternoon stops longer than I'd go for. That puts 300 km well in reach. Any info on how hard and fast that limit is? Anything about 310 to and 290 tomorrow. That is, if it's a five day rental and the bike comes back with about 1500 on the clock, is that OK? I assume that's the case, but one never knows, do one.

The locations the tour went to were almost all OK (too bad about Mittenwald and Oberammergau but I've been there before). The problem was the part about not knowing what the rules were or weren't at any given time. Talk about Hells Angels blowing through towns!

I'm puzzled about how your wife's bike was nailed by the radar camera. I can't think of any automatic cameras with "from behind" functions. Something operated by the police might do it. If the camera caught her coming towards it, no plate should have been visible. No plate, no fine AFAIK. It's been 6 weeks plus since, coming down an autobahn, I sat for my portrait. I would expect to hear from Edelweiss, looking for whatever money is due, by now. Maybe I should just leave sleeping dogs lie.

I am afraid I do not have any info on the mileage penalties as I can not remember the terms for our 7 day rental.

As for the radar, I still have a copy that Moto emailed me asking that I pay the Austrians the fine. The paperwork refers to a fixed radar camera and the exact time when were there. I even looked it up on the internet after you asked. Pretty town....slow down !

Charlie
"I am sorry the crash broke your leg, but I was asking what brand oil that you use."-Charlie INTJ

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »
You can negotiate the mileage sometimes, and gear rental.
IBA #37902

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »
About the cameras, the one that took my portrait was the garden variety box on a pole. It's crossed my mind more than once that bikes get a free ride on these cameras. I can't imagine The Powers That Be would let a revenue stream (bike speeding) go untapped.

It occurs to me there's a type that's a maybe 8' high pylon with dark rings for the light and camera. Hmmm... maybe they zap you coming and going. The box was angled diagonally relative to the road, but the pylons could well have cameras looking in both directions and the computer smarts to shoot a second time. I saw something similar but shorter in Italy. Hmmm...

I've long since resigned myself to the fact that getting creative with speed anywhere near (or in) towns is exceedingly ill-advised. Out of town is generally better, but I sure like a good field of view before charging on with gusto. At least in Germany those white circles with three stripes really do mean "go for it".

Having a hard and fast mileage limit, even it's not very likely I'll hit it, still has a ...what?... chilling effect. We've some "great rate" car rentals from Enterprise that come with a firm limit. We had to put off a couple trips because we were dangerously close to the limit. Anyway, if there's some room for negotiation, life is good.

"Gear" means jackets, etc.? If so, no worries - packing my own gear, although challenging, worked out well.

I found one renter (with K1600's woohoo!) who charges extra for bags.  :thumbsdown: Guess I won't be renting in Nice, FR, eh. Like I would anyway.  :bigsmile:

Trivia time: Cortina and Brunico, aside from both being in Italy, etc., have something else in common, going back to 1963. And that is?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:14:00 PM by RBEmerson »

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
Video insert totally failed. Ignore this message, which I can't delete.  :baldy:

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:27 PM »
Speed cameras I've seen look a lot like that:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They get you going both ways, front or back depending on which side of the road you were.

or that

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They capture your speed coming and your rear plate after you've passed.

Daily km allocation, unless you turn in the bike everyday, they just mean you get x km for the x number of days you rented.
ie 300 km per day for five days gives you 1500 km.
Ride safe!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:06 PM »
The top one wouldn't find anything useful if I were approaching it on a bike. Not so much the other way, though. The bottom one looks like the two I saw in Italy/Sud Tirol. Where were these cameras found?

Gotit re mileage - it's what I'd expect but ya never know, ya know.

Vaguely related, I found a German trip planning site: Tourboerse.de. It looks interesting but apparently the really good stuff requires registering for an account. [/Except I can't find out where to sign up or how much it costs. Has anyone given it a try?] Strike that - the trick is to click on the login button and all is revealed. AFAIK there's no cost. It's in German but the UI looks fairly straightforward for anyone not speaking German. And there's always Leo.org to get those pesky obscure words translated. All of which makes this an interesting planning tool for at least European use.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:20:34 PM by RBEmerson »

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »
Continuing on...

At this point, I've talked with Stefan Knopf about insurance and possible support, in Frankfurt, getting the bike out of customs. As in, yes, I'm pretty much decided on shipping my bike to Germany, riding for two-plus weeks ("plus" includes local riding from sister-in-law's house - some very nice roads in the area). I initially thought a Beach's tour might get it done, but, at "under $9K, it's just too spendy. I'm not much for big "chici-mici" hotels. If Beach's is big on "here's a GPS with a route in it - don't be late for dinner", why pay for a guide I might not see for... [/shrug] who knows how long.

Rentals kept coming in at about $1K+ for week 1 and slightly less for week 2. Trains to almost anywhere of significant distance are surprisingly expensive (tried to do Wiesbaden to Berlin and found flying was probably cheaper). Bottom line - the bottom line wasn't a win.

With insurance, a $125/day operating budget (pension/B&B w/ breakfast, lunch&dinner on me, and gas), and "under $2500" to fly the bike between Toronto & Frankfurt, and ~$300 to get me between Philadelphia and Toronto, I come up with "under $5500" for the trip. That's $3500-4000 under Beach's.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 01:52:49 AM »
"under $2500" to fly the bike between Toronto & Frankfurt

And even less than that, based on these examples : /http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/03/03/air-canadas-new-motorcycle-cargo-options

Trains to almost anywhere of significant distance are surprisingly expensive (tried to do Wiesbaden to Berlin and found flying was probably cheaper).

Incredible, isn´t it? It was cheaper for Dan and I to fly to Edinburgh for a long weekend than take the train to Interlaken (a 2 hour train ride).

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »
The URL 404's. Any hints on how you found it (Google search terms)?

Nevermind - I found it at this URL.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:41:44 AM by RBEmerson »

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 07:46:46 AM »
I think this is pretty much what I found AdvRider. NTL I'll run down the links in the piece.

In general, all of the numbers I've listed are something of a gamble. I've used the current conversion rates for the Canadian dollar and Euro. Where these rates will be in a couple of months is anyone's guess. OTOH, maybe any significant change in rates will apply to Beach's trips, too. Think of it as a sinking boat drowns all sailors. (Y'know, as in rising tide lifts all boats... nevermind)

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »
"under $2500" to fly the bike between Toronto & Frankfurt

And even less than that, based on these examples : /http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/03/03/air-canadas-new-motorcycle-cargo-options

Trains to almost anywhere of significant distance are surprisingly expensive (tried to do Wiesbaden to Berlin and found flying was probably cheaper).

Incredible, isn´t it? It was cheaper for Dan and I to fly to Edinburgh for a long weekend than take the train to Interlaken (a 2 hour train ride).

There was a follow-up on that article. Prices have gone up, however the $CAD has gone down relative to the $US.
Prices quoted don't include the Dangerous goods fees, taxes, Insurances and various fees at both ends. Also prices vary if you fly by Air Canada or not.
$2500US is about right for two way shipping IMO.
I'm not sure that it is worth it for a two weeks stay. If you don't need to carry luggage, don't have a passenger, a smaller rented bike might be cheaper. For a longer stay, it is an option I would seriously consider.

On another note, RBEmerson thanks for the insurance info. I also found lots of insurance info googling Tour Insure for non European bikes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:34:08 PM by PatM »
Ride safe!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
With a bit of digging, the "extra" fees aren't that hard to run down. And, obviously, a chat with an AC rep is a good idea. Strangely, it's shipping the bike out of Canada that's harder.  :headscratch:

Exchange rates make all of this planning something of a gamble. If the Euro or Loonie rises against the dollar... oops.

"Smaller rented bike" just isn't an option. Having sampled, for a few days, a couple of "smaller" bikes (BMW 650 and 800 GS things), I would not be happy to spend two weeks on them. In good weather. If the weather isn't good... Sounds like self-inflicted pain to me. Pass.

Keep in mind that, for me, this is approximately three week trip (in-law time filling out the extra week). Plus the intangible value of "how cool is this???" to be riding your personal bike where the mountains are tall, the men are men, and the sheep are nervous. (Sorry)

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »
With a bit of digging, the "extra" fees aren't that hard to run down. And, obviously, a chat with an AC rep is a good idea. Strangely, it's shipping the bike out of Canada that's harder.  :headscratch:

Exchange rates make all of this planning something of a gamble. If the Euro or Loonie rises against the dollar... oops.

"Smaller rented bike" just isn't an option. Having sampled, for a few days, a couple of "smaller" bikes (BMW 650 and 800 GS things), I would not be happy to spend two weeks on them. In good weather. If the weather isn't good... Sounds like self-inflicted pain to me. Pass.

Keep in mind that, for me, this is approximately three week trip (in-law time filling out the extra week). Plus the intangible value of "how cool is this???" to be riding your personal bike where the mountains are tall, the men are men, and the sheep are nervous. (Sorry)
You're going to Wales?
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

S-T.o -OH!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 08:30:33 PM »
Sorry, no. Some part of the Alps. :)

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »

:headscratch:  My 800GS is perfectly fine on the roads around here. The only time I wish there was a little more umph is on the German Autobahn, but even then, I am doing fine with keeping with (and passing) the bulk of the cars on the road.

Just what kind of power nut are you? :burnout:

Online Mrs. DantesDame

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »

What have you done to the sheep???  :o

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »

:headscratch:  My 800GS is perfectly fine on the roads around here. The only time I wish there was a little more umph is on the German Autobahn, but even then, I am doing fine with keeping with (and passing) the bulk of the cars on the road.

Just what kind of power nut are you? :burnout:
A fair question. I've ridden a copy of your bike; it's just not my bike. It's just not what I enjoy. IIRC you once commented about not loving being in the rain on the bike. If I only have two weeks to enjoy riding where you have many opportunities, I want what I'm most comfort able with. :)

Online PatM

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »

You're going to Wales?

:lol:
Ride safe!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »

What have you done to the sheep???  :o

Oh my... This is a "Have you stopped beating your wife - answer 'yes' or 'no'" moment, isn't it?  :rolleyes:

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »
Sheep aside...

Wondering if my AAA membership does anything useful, I came up with the following. Spoiler alert: don't break down in Austria or Switzerland...

Germany?
Services provided to AAA members:

All members are entitled to roadside assistance and free towing to a garage, if necessary. Members should call 01802 22 22 22 or from mobile phones the short number 22 22 22. When the member travels on the motorway and uses the phone booth along the motorway to call for help, the member will receive help from ADAC.
            Free maps and books at offices — books are in German.

Italy?
Services provided to AAA members:

Primary Road Assistance:
        If visiting Italy for 90 days or less, AAA members driving private vehicles in Italy are entitled to primary assistance (i.e. on-the-spot repair in case of minor breakdowns or towing to the nearest ACI repair shop) free of charge on presentation of their membership card, in case of breakdown or accident.
            For service call: 803.116 – toll free, if calling from an Italian landline or mobile phone; 800.116.800 – toll free, if calling from a foreign mobile phone; 39.99.43.116 – reserved for deaf people to call for roadside assistance via SMS (charged according to mobile provider’s rates).
            Rental cars are excluded from this benefit, so it is advisable for members to inquire with the rental company as to what to do in case of break down.
            IMPORTANT NOTICE: A national driving license is not sufficient for driving in Italy. Please be sure to apply at your local AAA office for an IDP to go with your national driving license before leaving the United States.
            Foreign members from overseas driving private cars is not a frequent occurrence in Italy. Should AAA members be asked to pay for the above ACI services, the member should send the original invoice and a copy of a valid AAA membership card to the following address for reimbursement:

Automobile Club d’Italia
Foreign Relations Office
via Marsala 8
00185 Roma
Italy

Austria?
Österreichischer Automobil-Motorrad-Und Touring Club (ÖAMTC)*
Address: Schubertring 1-3
1010 Vienne

Web: www.oeamtc.at

*Club participates in the global discounts program. Members of this club are eligible to receive discounts when traveling to other countries.

Switzerland?
Touring Club Suisse (TCS)*
Address: 4 chemin de Blandonnet
B.P. 820
1214 Vernier

Web: www.tcs.ch

*Club participates in the global discounts program. Members of this club are eligible to receive discounts when traveling to other countries.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
In a display of "want it fast or want it good?", Air Canada hasn't put up the cost of Fly Your Bike for this year. It's not due until "mid-April". OK, no "fast". And "good" remains to be seen.  ARGH!!!  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:33:34 AM by RBEmerson »