Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ogre!  (Read 4814 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Ogre!
« on: December 13, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »
If folks don't already know this, I'm a gamer. It's one of the things that define me I guess. I'm certainly not the best gamer you'll ever meet and lose plenty of games, but I enjoy the hell out of gaming. The rules, the pieces, the strategy, the tactics. Even the success or failure at the end. It's all good.

I was playing Avalon Hill wargames in the early 70's. By 1976 I'd gotten into Dungeons and Dragons (the 'dm' in my handle :) ) and then gaming exploded. One of the funner companies was (and is) Steve Jackson Games. He had many pocket games. A small rule booklet and a sheet or maybe two of thin counters in a plastic ziplock bag. Later he had similarly sized plastic boxes.

I got mostly into Car Wars but seriously enjoyed quite a few of his games. Heck, Car Wars got me into programming. And one of my D&D gaming group went on to work for Steve Jackson. I found out years later that he even dedicated a couple of games he wrote to me. Other games like Illuminati and Ogre are also fun to play.

A year or so ago, a kickstarter was up to create a 6th Edition of Ogre. The kickstarter had a goal of $20,000 and by the end it had reached $923,680. The folks who participated in the kickstarter received their copies of Ogre in mid November and it hit the stores this week.

The game cost me $97 at my FLGS but I have a running 10% to 15% discount because I buy so much stuff there :)  I could have carried it home on the bike but I probably would have needed to adjust the suspension :D  The boxed game weighs in at just under 30 lbs  :o  The woman I'm dating fortunately wanted to get a copy of Cards Against Humanity and I knew Jamie carried it so she was nice enough to carry it home for me :) :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Next up is the Car Wars kickstarter which I will be participating in.

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
Re: Ogre!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »
I too played a lot in the 1980's and 1990's.  D&D, Car Wars, Twilight 2000, Marvel, GURPS, Mech Wars, Warhammer 40,000, etc...  I still have a lot of my character sheets and books for those.  I was a huge fan of Twilight 2000 being a military guy.  We even had a role playing club at the community college for a few years.  I also know the name Steve Jackson.  Good for you dm.  Congrats!  Ogre! looks cool.  I'll have to read up on it.  A guy at work is huge into WWII gaming with models.  It's huge!  Giant tables, buildings, tanks, troops, etc...  Expensive to initially get into though.  They also do a lot of the classic board games: Axis & Allies, Conquest of the Empire, Red Storm Rising, Harpoon, Fortress America, etc...
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
Car Wars is doing a kickstarter? Nice.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:18:27 AM »
The cardboard pieces assemble into 3d board pieces (what you see in the pic) and the plastic trays were created specifically to hold the aforementioned pieces. They designed it so it fit snugly into the box so the numerous (8 or so sheets I think for a total of 32 sheets of cardboard) were actually shrink wrapped to the _outside_ of the box. Now that's awesome and excellent planning. The terrain boards you see are cardboard and not sheets of paper.

I seriously want to see what the Car Wars one will look like and will scrape enough bucks up to make a good contribution to the kickstarter once it comes out. :D

I too played a lot in the 1980's and 1990's.  D&D, Car Wars, Twilight 2000, Marvel, GURPS, Mech Wars, Warhammer 40,000, etc...  I still have a lot of my character sheets and books for those.  I was a huge fan of Twilight 2000 being a military guy.  We even had a role playing club at the community college for a few years.  I also know the name Steve Jackson.  Good for you dm.  Congrats!  Ogre! looks cool.  I'll have to read up on it.  A guy at work is huge into WWII gaming with models.  It's huge!  Giant tables, buildings, tanks, troops, etc...  Expensive to initially get into though.  They also do a lot of the classic board games: Axis & Allies, Conquest of the Empire, Red Storm Rising, Harpoon, Fortress America, etc...

Mine was mostly AD&Dr1 with some r2 intermingled. Then Paranoia and Shadowrun. I have several other games in part due to friends selling/giving me their gear when they decided not to game any more (or the one guy who went to jail and gave me his games before going). Being pestered about stray moving boxes got me back into board and role playing again and I'm getting caught back up in the scene. It's an excellent winter activity :)

Carl

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »
Was Paranoia the one with the colors?  Red through purple or something like that for levels?
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »
oh the irony of this thread being titled Ogre...
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
Was Paranoia the one with the colors?  Red through purple or something like that for levels?

Yep. Infrared for the lowest level peon in the Complex and Ultraviolet for the highest level.

Trust The Computer, The Computer is Your Friend.

Carl

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »

Yep. Infrared for the lowest level peon in the Complex and Ultraviolet for the highest level.

Trust The Computer, The Computer is Your Friend.

Carl

That's it.  Thanks Carl.
~Dan

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hambonee

• Motorcycles: 2013 LC R1200GS
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
Very way cool.. :bigsmile:

Used to play a lot of the Steve Jackson games back in the day. Killer was a blast...All about how creative you could be in bumping off your buddy!

Miss these type of games..used to play Star Fleet battles pretty regularly.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »

So I wasn't the only one?   :lol:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »
Wow.  Is that a solo game or do you interact with humans?   ;)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
Wow.  Is that a solo game or do you interact with humans?   ;)

Much like the Internet, I interact with humans as little as possible.

:D

Carl

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
Did somebody call for Ogre?

Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Nullblade

• Motorcycles: '18 H2SX SE
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
I owned the microgame of this back in the day.  This and G.E.V. (and others).  Wish I'd saved all those.  :(

The new Ogre looks ginormous.
aka UFO

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
Another SJ game, Frag, is quite a lot of fun.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
Another SJ game, Frag, is quite a lot of fun.

Actually I didn't think it was all that fun. I have a copy and it just seemed like a slow quake :)

Carl

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 04:36:01 AM »
Okay, I'll play. I admit it, I use to play war games. I have thousands of 1/300 scale WW2 models and played on boards over and area of up to 20' X 20'. Nerdy or what. I also played naval wargames in 1/1200 and smaller scales-WW1 and WW2.

Then I moved on to D&D, which was always better if you were out of it. Them Warhammer-but I preferred painting to playing.

Board games? Yes!
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 06:35:11 AM »
Okay, I'll play. I admit it, I use to play war games. I have thousands of 1/300 scale WW2 models and played on boards over and area of up to 20' X 20'. Nerdy or what. I also played naval wargames in 1/1200 and smaller scales-WW1 and WW2.

Then I moved on to D&D, which was always better if you were out of it. Them Warhammer-but I preferred painting to playing.

Board games? Yes!

:smiley_thumb:
~Dan