Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Car shopping and the CVT  (Read 20739 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Car shopping and the CVT
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
I don't know why but I've always been opposed to the concept of the CVT.  I suppose because early generations of it were not well thought of by the automotive community and probably because much of said community is probably old school and not terribly amenable to changing something like the transmission which has been largely the same for many decades now.  We're trying to replace our extremely functional but not very economical Mazda 5 which we bought largely for the dogs.  We wanted something with better gas mileage given my new commute but we also wanted AWD or 4WD because of where we live and own property.  The 5 is useless up there. 

We did the research and found that there are very few vehicles where gas mileage and AWD come together without creating a tear in the space time continuum.  We narrowed the search down to the new Mazda CX5 and the new Subaru XV Crosstrek which is just an impreza w/ a lift kit.  :)  I read the stats and watched and read the reviews and totally expected the Mazda to just blow the Subi out of the water.  It costs more, has nicer stuff and is bigger.  So imagine my surprise when we drove them back to back and the Subaru was the clear winner by a significant margin.

Now comes the title of the thread...  Traditional tranny in the Mazda and CVT in the Subi.  I was expecting to hate the CVT but after driving it, I was blown away.  Now the car isn't fast or powerful and lags behind the Mazda by a fair margin in the numbers category but what it does with the availabe power is nothing short of impressive.  The power that it does make is...  eager power.  Like it wants to please you. 

Granted, the largest decision making factor for me is the sit.  If the car doesn't feel right and my elbows don't drop just so, I'm out.  That was the case w/ the Mazda.  It was nice but it wasn't nice for me.  I'm not a little dude and it was almost too wide.  Kim was just lost in the driver's seat with nothing to support her arms that she could even reach if she tried.  After driving the Subaru, the Mazda transmission left me feeling like it really wasn't interested in doing what I wanted it to do.  It shifted way too slow and too late.  In order to get the performance out of it that I would want, I'd have to flog it which would cost me any benefit in gas mileage that it might otherwise provide.  The power (ha) is there but if it requires me to have to try to make it do what I need while the Subi does a much better job and bringing it to me with even less power and better mileage then the higher hp numbers don't really matter.

The Subaru had a really nice sit to it.  Once the ergos were adjusted properly, it just felt better.  It drives quite well if a little agricultural feeling which is apparently a Subaru thing that I'm OK with. 

Short story long, we're going back tonight to get an appraisal on the 5 and see if they can get us the same payment.  It'll look a little something like this: 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Car shopping and the CVT
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:47:25 AM »
I've heard the same thing about the tranny in the XV from just about everybody that has actually driven one.  I guess they are finally getting things figured out.

Now you can report to the 21+pages thread over on ADV about the Crosstrek.   :lol:

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »
It took me a while to get used to the CVT when we first bought our Altima. It sounds like a badly slipping clutch, but works flawlessly. Now when I drive a traditional automatic it feels odd.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »
We owned 7 Subaru's over the years and never had a single problem with any of them.  If you like it, go for it.  I've never been much of a Mazda person.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »
It took me a while to get used to the CVT when we first bought our Altima. It sounds like a badly slipping clutch, but works flawlessly. Now when I drive a traditional automatic it feels odd.

The difference in the transmissions between the 5 and the CX-5 are day and night.  The only thing that saves that 5 from complete and utter mediocrity is the transmission.  Swift shifts at appropriate times and it knows it's limitations and compensates for them.  zoom zoom indeed. 
The CX-5 might adapt to my driving if there is intelligence in there anywhere but I don't want to wait.  I can't believe it's the same company.  I can see me becoming a total CVT fanboy.  And now I'm seeing that we might well be able to test the AWD and crappy stock tires tonight / tomorrow.  :)
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »
I know the Sub Crosstrek is one of the few cars you can still get in a manual transmission. I don't know what your commute is like or if that's what you drive. I have not been in the XV but I am loving the look of it and what I am hearing from people. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »
There's a CVT in sis-in-laws car . . . . . . . .3 years, no trouble at all . . . . . . she claims that she got used to the strangeness after the first couple of days . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
FWIW, we just had a Nissan Altima with their CVT for a week as a rental and I was really very impressed with the transmission. CVTs as a concept got a LOT of bad press early on, and I think some early examples were less than stellar, but it sure seems like at least part of the industry has it right.

Not quite the same, either, but the CVTs in my two burgmans were quite enjoyable.

$.02
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »
FWIW, we just had a Nissan Altima with their CVT for a week as a rental and I was really very impressed with the transmission. CVTs as a concept got a LOT of bad press early on, and I think some early examples were less than stellar, but it sure seems like at least part of the industry has it right.

Not quite the same, either, but the CVTs in my two burgmans were quite enjoyable.

$.02

This (actually one of those Burgmans was the same Burgman!).

Maybe I'm an old fart, but I still prefer to drive a manual in most instances.  The only place where I prefer auto/CVT is commuting in extremely hilly areas, where there's a ton of stop and go.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »

$.02

This (actually one of those Burgmans was the same Burgman!).

Maybe I'm an old fart, but I still prefer to drive a manual in most instances.  The only place where I prefer auto/CVT is commuting in extremely hilly areas, where there's a ton of stop and go.

Agreed. I have a really messed up left knee, so while Liz's Speed3 is perfectly acceptable for me to drive under normal conditions, even that light clutch gets to be a real problem in traffic. :(

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
I'll just leave this right here....

Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »

:augie:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »

and that little bit of fun will cost you about 3 or 4 mpg.  also, my commute is 84 miles of which 80 is interstate.  Not so much fun shifting ya see. 

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
Once you're on the Interstate, you probably don't need to shift at all, right? So that's only 4 miles of rowing the box.

And manuals are usually more fuel efficient than automatics, CVT's excluded.

Unless the new autoboxes have gotten better that is.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »
Once you're on the Interstate, you probably don't need to shift at all, right? So that's only 4 miles of rowing the box.

And manuals are usually more fuel efficient than automatics, CVT's excluded.

Unless the new autoboxes have gotten better that is.
They have. At least in the tests. The electronics and more gears have a lot to do with it. The CVT is even better, accompanied with electronics as it can be used at the optimal ratio for engine speed.
Ride safe!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »
So it turns out they don't want to discount cars anymore.  Seriously, MSRP and a 200 dollar trade allowance?  Their second and final offer was nearly 600 off the price of the car and a little more money for the trade.  Wow.  What an amazing offer.  Buh bye.  They have 10 of those things sitting on the lot.

I guess I'm just old school when it comes to car buying too.  Dodge came off the price of my truck 8 grand before we started negotiating the trade. 

Guess I'm driving a Mazda 5 for a while. 

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
I guess that's the difference between a Dodge truck that nobody wants and is overpriced and a Subaru that they will sell everyone they can make.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
I guess that's the difference between a Dodge truck that nobody wants and is overpriced and a Subaru that they will sell everyone they can make.

Exactly.  Subaru was running out of stock.  Especially the Forester.  Dodge makes so many Rams they sit for months.  I understand there needs to be overhead on cars.  They are in business to make money.  But if you can afford $8k off the sticker, then it's overpriced.  The flip side is why does everyone think dealers should lose money to make you happy?  The price should be the price.  Makes life easier for everyone.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »
Dealers don't make much off new cars, these days.
When and if you get 8K off, the manufacturer has subsidized that reduction.
Ride safe!

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »
Don't feel bad for dealers.  They can't be loosing money on trades and build those nice new showrooms.

I'm not sure if Japanese brands are worth the premium.  They were 30 years ago.  Our last Ford ran every bit as good as our Honda and was a lot less expensive to maintain & fix.

I hate haggling for a deal.  I'd be happy to pay a set price, but that approach didn't work for Saturn.  I usually write a number on a piece of paper and ask the dealer for their best price.  If they come back above it, we leave.  If they come in below it, we buy on the spot.  Got all kinds of funny stories about what happens when you walk out the door. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
Yeah, I don't have much guilt about taking down the dealership because I wanted a better deal.  If you'd like to just pay whatever asking price is for stuff, well you go right ahead.  I'm sure they love your business.  Me?  They're going to work for my money.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
For me, when I'm shopping for a new car, I do it all online. I let each dealer know that I'm shopping around online.  I tell them I won't dicker over a few hundred dollars so the first to get low enough that other deals  are nearly the same, gets the business.

When we bought a VW Tiguan last year, we paid about 6K under MSRP.  (38K list price)

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
Yeah, I don't have much guilt about taking down the dealership because I wanted a better deal.  If you'd like to just pay whatever asking price is for stuff, well you go right ahead.  I'm sure they love your business.  Me?  They're going to work for my money.

That wasn't the point at all.

If a new Subaru has a MSRP of $25K, it should be $25K.  All the factory kick backs, incentives, the ridiculous "$8k over Kelly Blue book for you trade" radio ads, and overvalued trade ins are what turns people off to the whole business.  The price of the car should be a number that covers what the dealer has in the car and a small margin.  That's it.  No one buys clothes and tells the salesgirl, take $10 off, it makes my butt look fat.  Of course dealers then shouldn't throw a $3-5k "desirable model" surcharge on it either.  No one is saying you shouldn't try and get the best deal.  The point is the games they play.  If you were selling your bike, would you go $1k under what you were asking if the guy walked away?  Hell no.  So why the nonsense at a dealership?
~Dan

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
That's why I also do deals online.  Geez these days with the internet and 10 minutes you can figure out what a good deal is.

Email the fleet sales manager of how ever many dealerships you choose to and say here's the deal take it or leave it.  The whole "in-store" time for paperwork should be 10 minutes at best.

Oh, and my last truck was probably 60% off sticker because I let some other shil pay the depreciation for 2 years before swooping in and snatching it up.  The XV is a new model so you'd have to wait to do that but it would be the best deal.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Oh, and my last truck was probably 60% off sticker because I let some other shil pay the depreciation for 2 years before swooping in and snatching it up.  The XV is a new model so you'd have to wait to do that but it would be the best deal.

I have been mulling that over recently.  I've never had a new car or bike.  The soon to be ex got back to back new Foresters.  Felicia said I can get a new truck OR a new bike once the divorce is all finalized.  I have been leaning towards a new Tundra or Sierra, but they are both over $40k.  Buying a 2 or 3 year old one would cut hat down substantially, but it defeats the purpose of owning a new truck.  I might just hold onto my Tundra.  133k is nothing for one of these and I just put over $2k into it over the last few months.  Mostly wear items.  If I keep the Tundra I get a new KTM 500EXC instead!  :D
~Dan

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »
I'd get the bike.  My Tundra isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  It's 12 years old but looks mint.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »
I'd get the bike.  My Tundra isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  It's 12 years old but looks mint.

Mine is a 2003.  I love it.  The itch for new was getting strong, but I'd enjoy the bike more.  Now I have to sell the G650X.  I'm going to miss that the most of any former bike, except the RSV-R.
~Dan

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 12:40:12 PM »
I just let USAA buying service get us the numbers on vehicles and then go from there. They usually beat the prices listed at dealerships in the area. so all i do is print it off (as a record), get a call from whatever dealer wants to do the deal, show up, and sign paperwork (if they honor the deal). if the dealer tries shady shit, i walk. had to do that to one in MO. he had the car, but then tried to add a bunch of stuff to the price. The price recorded was an agreed upon price, not change or add whatever ya want to it. you lose for being an ass. got a call from another dealer who offered me the deal and then threw in some extra goodies. HELLO, ya got my business.  ;D
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »
I just let USAA buying service get us the numbers on vehicles and then go from there. They usually beat the prices listed at dealerships in the area. so all i do is print it off (as a record), get a call from whatever dealer wants to do the deal, show up, and sign paperwork (if they honor the deal). if the dealer tries shady shit, i walk. had to do that to one in MO. he had the car, but then tried to add a bunch of stuff to the price. The price recorded was an agreed upon price, not change or add whatever ya want to it. you lose for being an ass. got a call from another dealer who offered me the deal and then threw in some extra goodies. HELLO, ya got my business.  ;D

And I'm OK with that.  The "honor system" if you want to use that term, goes both ways.  I WILL not deal with a shady dealer.  I have had some bad experiences with some. 
~Dan

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
It only takes a 5 minute conversation with someone you know who's in the business to realize that - while I agree that MSRP should just mean 'the price', regardless - dealers consider it a failure if you walk in, buy at any price without their upselling you on SOMETHING... ANYTHING... Also, the back-end incentives and cost/fee waivers, and a bunch of other things means there's a LOT of room for them to haggle, even on something that seems well discounted. They don't need to make $5000 on one car sale; they make way more money on the back-end moving volume at any price than gouging on fewer cars.

It's a messed up business, and at this point, I don't think I'll ever buy a new car through any dealer ever again. I just can't honestly support such a whore's business full of so much trickery and dishonesty.

$.02

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
I believe in the 1990's the car industry experimented with honest pricing models.  They found the buyers, by and large preferred to do business in the standard haggling car dealership.  Weird, but I'm pretty sure that was the outcome. 

Let's face it, they just want to sell cars.  Whatever leads to sales is what they'll do.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
I doubt that they prefer haggling.  It's just they are so used to getting screwed that they think the price is obviously too high.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
I recently decided that I couldn't handle not having a reliable car for the Winter. I called around and found a dealer known for working with crap credit, went and looked, and found some decent options. Had a sit-down with the sales manager and basically said "if you get me financed on this car to keep me at $300/month, whatever it takes, I'll take it today".

After 2 fucking hours of haggling, and agreeing to go up to $380/month, they came back with $458/month including a full warranty package and full scotch guard treatment with lifetime warranty.

I left.

I gave them carte blanch to bend me over fully without lube as long as they kept me to a price that I could (barely) afford if I basically stopped eating lunch. The car was $9000 on the used lot. By the time they were done it was a $15,000 sale.

Well, not to me it wasn't.  :thumbsdown:

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
I recently decided that I couldn't handle not having a reliable car for the Winter. I called around and found a dealer known for working with crap credit, went and looked, and found some decent options. Had a sit-down with the sales manager and basically said "if you get me financed on this car to keep me at $300/month, whatever it takes, I'll take it today".

After 2 fucking hours of haggling, and agreeing to go up to $380/month, they came back with $458/month including a full warranty package and full scotch guard treatment with lifetime warranty.

I left.

I gave them carte blanch to bend me over fully without lube as long as they kept me to a price that I could (barely) afford if I basically stopped eating lunch. The car was $9000 on the used lot. By the time they were done it was a $15,000 sale.

I found a similar attitude when looking for a new motorcycle.  Advertised for $9500.  After all the "add ons" (shipping set up, advertising etc) $11, 800.  Fuck that.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »

I left.

I found a similar attitude when looking for a new motorcycle.  Advertised for $9500.  After all the "add ons" (shipping set up, advertising etc) $11, 800.  Fuck that.

I'd expect that on a new car/bike. Destination/prep - asinine as they are - are almost always added on (I refuse to pay them, generally). But a 5 year old used car having almost $6000 of addons??? Hell no.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »
My mother worked in the car sales industry (finance) for 30+ years. Her stories of what they did to people makes me want to punch babies.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:15:14 PM by giaka »
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Why do you think "car salesman" is the only career rated lower then "congressman" in honesty?

We dealt with a local Subaru dealer that was straight up and didn't play games.  We bought 5 cars from the same salesman that has been there 30+ years.  This place has a rabid loyal following.  In November the owner sold to a conglormate after owning it since the 1960's.  I am not holding my breathe it will stay the same.
~Dan

Offline 2RR2NV

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
Why do you think "car salesman" is the only career rated lower then "congressman" in honesty?

We dealt with a local Subaru dealer that was straight up and didn't play games.  We bought 5 cars from the same salesman that has been there 30+ years.  This place has a rabid loyal following.  In November the owner sold to a conglormate after owning it since the 1960's.  I am not holding my breathe it will stay the same.

believe it or not, that's my Dodge salesman. haven't dealt with him for that long, but he's the best. he actually moved from the chrysler dealer to the dodge dealer cause he didn't like how things were being handled. 

i agree with the changeover... I wouldn't hold my breath either. GL.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 11:03:58 PM »
Well, apparently some dealers do want to deal.  We did all the prelim work via email.  Got down there at 7:40 and they close at 8.  Tried to change the trade value they said they'd honor.  Tried to add the destination fee after the fact.  Tried to up the tax amount because our tags were changing and they missed it.  Tried to boot the interest rate up.  Blah blah blah.  Kudos for your effort I guess but you've been blocked. 

We just go in with the mentality that we don't need a car but we'd like one.  I said last minute changes to money make my spidey senses tingle like I'm trying to be taken advantage of.  These were all your mistakes.  Fix them and get to the pmt we agreed upon or we walk... at 10pm.  All three were way invested in this deal and were not about to throw it away over some money.  We, however, were totally prepared for that and they knew it. 

Win. 

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 05:18:22 AM »
I'm glad it worked out for you.  Did you get the white?  I've never been a big fan of white cars.  The orange looks sweet and I've always been partial to blue.
~Dan

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
I'm glad it worked out for you.  Did you get the white?  I've never been a big fan of white cars.  The orange looks sweet and I've always been partial to blue.

Yeah.  We got the white.  Subaru orange is a little muted in person.  The Mazda was white and the Ranger was white.  We have a thing for white cars.  They can be dirty for a really long time before they actually look dirty unless you make a clean spot.  The Ram is blue and I'm totally meh about it.  It's almost cool looking w/ the black accents including the wheels.  Almost.

It has a tow hitch.   ???

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:05 AM »
My Tundra is dark grey.  It ALWAYS looks clean!!!!!
~Dan

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 08:42:06 AM »
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »
Heard a piece on the radio recently, claiming the the guys seeling NEW cars at the dealertship are often the newbies . . . dealership sometime sell at below list in order to qualify for monthly cash payments from the facotry (if X number of new cars are sold).

And that the real money was to be made selling used . . . . . .

Saturn had no haggle pricing for some of it's existance, but I think you guys are right -- most buyers are pretty convinced that the game is stacked against them, and don't like it.

We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Heard a piece on the radio recently, claiming the the guys seeling NEW cars at the dealertship are often the newbies . . . dealership sometime sell at below list in order to qualify for monthly cash payments from the facotry (if X number of new cars are sold).

Saturn had no haggle pricing for some of it's existance, but I think you guys are right -- most buyers are pretty convinced that the game is stacked against them, and don't like it.

A car salesman friend of mine told me sales people make no money on new vehicles. he said it's $100/unit for him. the internet ruined new car sales, anyone can get pricing nationwide with a few clicks so the days of big commissions are gone. The used market is another story ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 10:13:55 AM »

A car salesman friend of mine told me sales people make no money on new vehicles. he said it's $100/unit for him. the internet ruined new car sales, anyone can get pricing nationwide with a few clicks so the days of big commissions are gone. The used market is another story ;)

Ding.

Offline 2RR2NV

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »
I second that!  on both accounts....  grey trucks and ba-bye big commissions.

Offline 2RR2NV

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
My Tundra is dark grey.  It ALWAYS looks clean!!!!!

yep..

NICE truck.  I'm a wee bit jealous. HAHAHAH get it?  wee bit jealous. Your truck is the set up i lust for.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »

I'm a wee bit jealous. HAHAHAH get it?  wee bit jealous.

:headscratch:

Online Black Hills

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »

I'm a wee bit jealous. HAHAHAH get it?  wee bit jealous.

:headscratch:

I assume he is thinking its a v-strom in the back, actually it's a friends super Tennere that we managed to put a rock through the bottom end :)