Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 51371 times)

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
Re: Brexit
« Reply #250 on: December 14, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
Boris.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #251 on: December 14, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
Pound sterling has fallen to 1.28 USD (again).  Might be time to start planning a trip to visit your lovely country.

we're shut.

May you should build a wall.  Wait, Hadrian already did that, and now it's an attraction!  You see how that all worked out.

Hadrian built it on the wrong border. The new one would have to be built across the entrance to the Chunnel, you know, to keep all that Eurotrash out.....

Offa's Dyke, Hadrian's Wall, Antonine Wall, looked like they all stood the test of time..and that's just three in a tiny little island-think how everlasting a wall would be elsewhere-China could build one to keep the Mongols out..oh  wait...
Oh no ... sounds like the EU is getting ready to build a [tariff] wall that you're going to pay for.

“How will Christmas dinner be different after Brexit? No Brussels”
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:04:34 PM by Skee »
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #252 on: December 14, 2018, 05:08:30 PM »
Boris.

and I love you too
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »
In case you are trying to follow along, this chart may help you understand tomorrow's vote, although it doesn't explain the Irish sidestop, I mean backswipe, errrr, I mean forestep, well you know that tissue, I mean issue.

I saw this chart today and it just made my head spin.   Papa,you have our sympathy.   Go for a ride.

"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2019, 02:20:28 AM »
I don't think the chart captures everything....

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2019, 08:09:58 AM »
I'm offended by this graphic. It clearly ignores the needs of the chromatically challenged.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2019, 06:39:20 PM »
I'm offended by this graphic. It clearly ignores the needs of the chromatically challenged.

It works better when you wear your 3D glasses.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/Nh11RYjheUY

Pat nails it once again.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2019, 01:56:58 AM »
Goodbye Europe!

oh, wait....

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2019, 08:42:50 AM »
https://youtu.be/Nh11RYjheUY
Pat nails it once again.

+ 1   :clap:

He sure does get his point across.
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
So is Brexit considered a good thing these days or not? Because if what Germany and France are doing to the Internet is any indication, I'd go running and screaming away from the EU, too. Stupidity abounds.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »
Well, it appears the UK is still divided, although Remain probably has the edge over Leave now. 

However, and whatever, our fuckwit gubbernment ploughs on regardless, mishandling everything they can. Trouble is, the Brexiteers want the Remainers to come up with the plan, coz they can't. It is a complete and utter shitstorm.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »
Brexit Day checklist:

Free trade area massively larger than the EU Nope
Easiest deal in history Nope
40 trade deals Nope Apart from the Faroe Islands, of course
Taking back control Nope
Strong global Britain Nope
Sunlit uplands Nope
International laughing stock Yup
Unparalleled national catastrofuck Yup

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
So is Brexit considered a good thing these days or not? Because if what Germany and France are doing to the Internet is any indication, I'd go running and screaming away from the EU, too. Stupidity abounds.

Yes, this.  The EU is basically a FrancoGerman institution and policy is ALWAYS beneficial/in the interests of one or both of those nations.  There are some who believe the major cause of the Greek financial meltdown (and Spain, Italy and Ireland's recent downturn) were EU monetary policy that greatly helped German and French industry and trade, but forced smaller more fragile economies to have to rely on borrowing and debt. 

That EU ministers cannot be removed by voter demands doesn't help matters.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2019, 01:33:57 PM »
Those rascally Germans are determined to rule Europe one way or another.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2019, 01:47:47 PM »
Well, it appears the UK is still divided, although Remain probably has the edge over Leave now. 

However, and whatever, our fuckwit gubbernment ploughs on regardless, mishandling everything they can. Trouble is, the Brexiteers want the Remainers to come up with the plan, coz they can't. It is a complete and utter shitstorm.

Oh, so healthcare in the USA. Now I understand.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2019, 03:47:32 AM »

Yes, this.  The EU is basically a FrancoGerman institution and policy is ALWAYS beneficial/in the interests of one or both of those nations.  There are some who believe the major cause of the Greek financial meltdown (and Spain, Italy and Ireland's recent downturn) were EU monetary policy that greatly helped German and French industry and trade, but forced smaller more fragile economies to have to rely on borrowing and debt. 

Greece lied about its finances to gain membership.

The EU is not simply a Franco-German love in-a lil more complex than that.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2019, 12:16:04 PM »

Greece lied about its finances to gain membership.

The EU is not simply a Franco-German love in-a lil more complex than that.
Of course it's more complex.  Greece wanted to join, and the major EU economies wanted them to join--with certain stipulations.   For a moment, let's consider Germany and France as predatory lenders.  They get a smaller economy to adopt the Euro, at a favorable rate to begin with.  Over time, the smaller economy nation says to the predatory lender, "The euro is too strong, it is making our national fixed costs (health and retirement benefits) too expensive for us.  It would be great if you'd set monetary policy so that the euro floats down, making our benefits less expensive."

To which the predatory lender says, "Don't worry, we'll lend you MORE euros to cover your costs.  You can just pay us back when your economy picks up."  Repeat this cycle until the smaller economy is overwhelmed with debt.  Not unlike what has happened to families in the student debt crisis.

When Greece got to the tipping point, the predatory lender had a solution: Austerity.  Suck it up.  You owe the money, you figure it out (or we'll break your knees). 

There have been several articles laying out how and why the large manufacturing economies kept the euro strong and protective of their economies while small tourism driven economies suffered.

So please, the EU isn't there for the little guy.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »
Well, the EU collectively just ratified Articles 17 (previously 13, nice sleazy move there) and 11, so everyone with any care about free flow of information and knowledge should run, and run hard, from the EU.

$.02

Online stevent

« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
Any country that loses control of it's currency loses control of it's economy. The Euro is a giant Franco-Prussian dick up the ass of every country that adopted it. Thank God Brittan at least kept the pound as currency, the next step is to flood the Chunnel, tell Europe and it's hoards of useless shitbag migrants to fuck off back where they came from and regain control of their country.

Our forefathers didn't fight countless wars to keep England free for this bullshit.   
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #271 on: April 03, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
Any country that loses control of it's currency loses control of it's economy. The Euro is a giant Franco-Prussian dick up the ass of every country that adopted it. Thank God Brittan at least kept the pound as currency, the next step is to flood the Chunnel, tell Europe and it's hoards of useless shitbag migrants to fuck off back where they came from and regain control of their country.

Our forefathers didn't fight countless wars to keep England free for this bullshit.

Jeeze stevent, quite beat'in around the bush, say what ya mean.  :bigsmile:

I agree 100%. The people of Brittan keep voting (twice?) against but they won't accept it - change...
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #272 on: April 03, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »

Another rare occasion that I agree with you.  :thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #273 on: April 04, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »
Interesting how Brexit can be viewed from so many different perspectives.  To me, it's Always been about the disadvantages of a large federalized beauracracy versus the economic trade benefits that accrue from it. Regardless, it's sure been interesting.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
Personal liberties in certain realms are being crushed under the boot heel of the EU.

Interesting to watch from over here.

Online stevent

« Reply #275 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
I think modern day Germany has finally learned that Von Clausewitz's maxim on war being the continuation of diplomacy by other means, also works in the inverse. They still want control of Europe, only now after 2 failed military attempts they are gaining economic hegemony through currency control and petit bourgeois bureaucrats and ministers in Brussels.

Disgusting to watch, we should have let the Soviets keep them.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
I think modern day Germany has finally learned that Von Clausewitz's maxim on war being the continuation of diplomacy by other means, also works in the inverse. They still want control of Europe, only now after 2 failed military attempts they are gaining economic hegemony through currency control and petit bourgeois bureaucrats and ministers in Brussels.

Disgusting to watch, we should have let the Soviets keep them.
I sort of disagree.  I think Germany is playing an aggressive defensive game against the Chinese juggernaut.  They are, however, using smaller, weaker nations as canon fodder.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2019, 12:41:55 PM »
Personal liberties in certain realms are being crushed under the boot heel of the EU.

I haven't observed any evidence of that in the 2 or 3 months I spend in the EU each year.  A lot of people seem appreciable of the protections afforded to local products.  Everyone I speak to seems genuinely appreciative of the privacy protectionsvas opposed to what they experience when they visit USA.  I get an entirely different feeling but it may just be the people I am interacting with.  There is a huge concern about the impact of Chinese economy. 

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #278 on: April 04, 2019, 02:26:01 PM »
Oh, China is getting desperate; they're going to push for expansion in our lifetimes. They fucked their population balance, and people are so dependent world-wide on "cheap chinese made products" that China has far more of an economic divide than the USA has; we still have a middle class, gasping and treading water as it is. China...? Not so much. Between the government control of EVERYTHING, their dying middle class, their way-off-the-typical M/F population, and the sexual orientation that comes with such disparities, their birthrates are down, their earnings are down, and the gap between super-rich and eating-maggots poor is getting wider and wider and wider with nothing filling in the space. Their government won't loosen controls, and won't fix the problem, and instead will spread out, looking for external solutions to absorb, external resources to plunder, and external financing to bolster their own troubled economy.

Then they'll call due all the debt that they own in the USA, and then we are truly and rightfully fucked.

Anything further I say on the topic will range into the political spectrum, and I don't want the ban hammer aimed at me.

So, cheer up bitches, we're all gonna be speaking Chinese and eating a shit tonne of moo shu pork in our lifetimes. Enjoy.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #279 on: April 04, 2019, 06:35:21 PM »
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: April 04, 2019, 09:42:25 PM »

Then they'll call due all the debt that they own in the USA, and then we are truly and rightfully fucked.

In general I agree with this thought. But then I remember the early 80's when the Japanese were high on the hog and buying everything American. Predicting world economics is as stupid as standing on the side of the road while fixing your flat tire.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2019, 02:22:21 AM »

I haven't observed any evidence of that in the 2 or 3 months I spend in the EU each year.  A lot of people seem appreciable of the protections afforded to local products.  Everyone I speak to seems genuinely appreciative of the privacy protectionsvas opposed to what they experience when they visit USA.  I get an entirely different feeling but it may just be the people I am interacting with.  There is a huge concern about the impact of Chinese economy.

In the main, the EU is popular in Europe. It upholds liberties, helps out poorer members, etc. We haven't had a war inside the EU since WW2. For Europe, that's pretty good going (and before someone mentions the Balkans/ former Yugoslavia- they weren't in the EU). I don't see Germany as this aggressive nation-it took in 3 million Syrian refugees FFS. Many in the UK object to the shift towards a federal Europe, many have mediaeval ideas of sovereignty which are completely false, many now support the EU. It's a complete feck up, whichever way you look at it.

Online stevent

« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »

In general I agree with this thought. But then I remember the early 80's when the Japanese were high on the hog and buying everything American. Predicting world economics is as stupid as standing on the side of the road while fixing your flat tire.

That's very true, owning property in another country is a gentleman's game. What you "own" is a piece of paper saying a building or what have you is yours, the physical asset is a whole 'nother thing. A lesson the Japanese learned all too well when real estate values plummeted.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
China owns DEBT in the USA. HSBC bank and its subsidiaries, and China buys up whatever shifted debt in the USA they can get their hands on. Lots and lots and lots of vendor and OEM credit plans - that Kawasaki or Honda credit card...? Yep, Chinese debt. Lots of debt, leaving many citizens of the USA owing Chinese companies (and in many cases, the government).

Not sure how that's not the scariest damned thing in the world since we were all planning for nukes hitting our schools.

Online stevent

« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
Guy Fawkes or Marinus Van der Lubbe, take your pick   :smiley_thumb:

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
China owns DEBT in the USA. HSBC bank and its subsidiaries, and China buys up whatever shifted debt in the USA they can get their hands on. Lots and lots and lots of vendor and OEM credit plans - that Kawasaki or Honda credit card...? Yep, Chinese debt. Lots of debt, leaving many citizens of the USA owing Chinese companies (and in many cases, the government).

Not sure how that's not the scariest damned thing in the world since we were all planning for nukes hitting our schools.

Legit question, I'm not in the know on lots of this stuff:

What's to stop us just from saying "go pound sand" when they call all their debts?   Doesn't that mean that they hold a piece of paper that says we owe them?  Even if they own companies and banks, if its a national security issue can't we simply remove them?  I know it will cost us credibility in the world, but if our national security is at stake?
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
I guess nothing, really. Other than maybe being able to secure debt in other countries if we should ever need it. * shrug *

It's an excellent question. HSBC and other chinese backed companies have always been legal business entities here, so yeah, I guess it just comes down to how much we want to make ourselves a persona non-grata on the world stage. Trying not to get political, but this past year or so, that's kinda been happening anyway. Pulling out of the eco accords was a serious punch in our international credibility nose. :(

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »

Legit question, I'm not in the know on lots of this stuff:

What's to stop us just from saying "go pound sand" when they call all their debts?   Doesn't that mean that they hold a piece of paper that says we owe them?  Even if they own companies and banks, if its a national security issue can't we simply remove them?  I know it will cost us credibility in the world, but if our national security is at stake?
That would be defaulting on a promissory note.
A few things would happen:
Currently the USD is the default international currency of trade (oil, grains... all sorts of comodities).  If the US were to default, foreign countries would move quickly to dump USD for other more "stable" currencies.  That would drive the value of the USD down.  Since something like 2/3 of USD are held by foreign countries in the form of hard currency, the drop would be profound if they switched to Euros or Yen or even a hybrid currency based on several different currencies (which the Chinese have been pushing for).

Secondly, it would be the absolute end of deficit spending in the US since no other country (or bank) would take the risk of loaning money to a country known for defaulting.  The US government would come crashing to a halt or taxes would have to radically go up.

Knock on effects would include international corps and financial services industries would minimize US effects by moving headquarters and services out of the US (probably to Canada for corporations) among other things.

In short, it would get ugly fast.

More likely, the US would start printing money, which would cause significant inflation, which in turn would significantly cut the value of the Chinese holdings (If you hold $1M in notes, and the US prints 100% more dollars, causing 100% inflation, your notes are worth the equivalent of $500,000).

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '20 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 1996 HD Road King '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »
So, why can't we collect the debt that's owed us that I hear so much about?
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »
So, why can't we collect the debt that's owed us that I hear so much about?
Different countries are different answers.  Political influence, access to markets, tactical location for military bases, desire for natural resources...

But you're right.  It does seem like there's a mythical circle of mutual debt to fuel excessive spending by numerous countries with nothing but paper and good will to back those loans.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2019, 06:31:02 PM »
Meh, the press likes to make a big deal aboot chinese owned debt.  It's only aboot 5 percent of our total debt, hell Japan owns just under 5%.  The vast majority is owned by Americans and the gov't itself.  If we all donate $16,000 we could pay off Chinese debt tomorrow.

Online stevent

« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2019, 06:48:50 PM »
Meh, the press likes to make a big deal aboot chinese owned debt.  It's only aboot 5 percent of our total debt, hell Japan owns just under 5%.  The vast majority is owned by Americans and the gov't itself.  If we all donate $16,000 we could pay off Chinese debt tomorrow.

Well darn it, I'm in! I'm going to send a check to the US gub'ment tomorrow an' do my bit for democracy. I suggest all you freedom loving 'Muricans do the same.

:smiley_thumb:

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '20 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, 1996 HD Road King '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2019, 03:42:27 AM »

Well darn it, I'm in! I'm going to send a check to the US gub'ment tomorrow an' do my bit for democracy. I suggest all you freedom loving 'Muricans do the same.

:smiley_thumb:

I’ve given them plenty. This time they’re going to have to do it themselves.

They won’t learn anything if we keep doing it for them.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »

That would be defaulting on a promissory note.
A few things would happen:
Currently the USD is the default international currency of trade (oil, grains... all sorts of comodities).  If the US were to default, foreign countries would move quickly to dump USD for other more "stable" currencies.  That would drive the value of the USD down.  Since something like 2/3 of USD are held by foreign countries in the form of hard currency, the drop would be profound if they switched to Euros or Yen or even a hybrid currency based on several different currencies (which the Chinese have been pushing for).

That would sure help my Bitcoin and Etherium.
old enough to know better

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
Meanwhile, the UK government has been given until October to get their act together. I have yet to read up on the details, but it sounds like this will be the "final" due date.... God, I really hope so. This is ridiculous.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Flyer

« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
Meanwhile, the UK government has been given until October to get their act together.
What year?
66.04 millions in a clown car backing over the White Cliffs o' Dover...

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2019, 09:43:48 PM »
Yep Oct 31, Halloween.....  Trick or treat and good by EU
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2019, 02:20:32 PM »
Father Brown: I never said it was always wrong to enter fairyland, I only said it was always dangerous.

Chesterton.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #298 on: May 04, 2019, 05:17:56 PM »
From a series of satirical books that are written as if they were kid’s adventure stories:

(The sign the guy in the boat is holding says “£350M for the picnic fund)
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #299 on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
Those in the know will recognise the Farage child, alongside the National Socialist.

national-front by James Lloyd-Williams, on Flickr