Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dual Sport Big Bend National Park  (Read 2738 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
Dual Sport Big Bend National Park
« on: June 21, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »
We're continually looking at mapping options for our CO trip in the fall.  Turns out, if we just take a slightly *HA* more southerly route, we can make Big Bend NP in 2.5 days pretty comfortably.  3.5 if we spend a day in Austin.  Then head up to CO and figure out the rest.  Current plan is Ridgeway but maybe some place farther south as long as we can reach all the good riding along 550, we're open.

This is a hard park to bag so being this close, we're pretty certain we're just gonna dip down and do it.  That'll also add LA (the state) to the list of places the trailer has been through.  Not sure we'll get it into every state before it dies but we're trying. 

Who has ridden in Big Bend?  I hear there's some really nice riding in or near the park.  I reckon it'll be hot but we'll just plan for that.  We've spent some time in hot and dry and know how to behave.  Details on riding would be appreciated.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Dual Sport Big Bend National Park
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
If you're gonna do it. Make the effort to drive up to see the window.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Downs

• Formerly known as Jeepinbanditrider
  • Motorcycles: 1978 GS1000E 2004 VSTROM 650
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
What kind of bike will you be on?  Most of the roads in the park are big bike rideable with some sections of deep gravel or sand.  River Road that is on the southend of the park will have the most sand sections.  But still rideable even on something like a Strom and has some neat stuff like the quicksilver mine. 

Window requires about a 6 mile round trip hike IIRC.  It's been a while since I've been there.  So just keep that in mind if you want to go see it.  The Basin is worth the trip up there though and is usually a good bit cooler than the desert floor. 

Visit the Hot Springs.  Requires a short hike but worth the trip as well.

It's not just going to be hot though.  It's going to be HOT.  If you go during the fall though it shouldn't be too bad.  It's actually quite comfortable down there mid fall though mid spring. 

They're sticklers for the speed limit in Big Bend as well.  And the area is open and the roads are smooth which get people going faster than the limit sometimes.  And the area is so wide and open that the Park Rangers can spot you speeding from a long ways off.  So keep that in mind.  Terlingua outside the park is worth the stop as well for the Starlight Theater. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
We'll be on XT250s so I don't anticipate much in the way of problems from a riding perspective.  Watched the videos.  The hard parts don't seem to be too hard.  Looking forward to exploring the park.  Understood on HOT.  Got that.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »
Tell me again when this will take place?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:04 AM »
What kind of bike will you be on?  Most of the roads in the park are big bike rideable with some sections of deep gravel or sand.  River Road that is on the southend of the park will have the most sand sections.  But still rideable even on something like a Strom and has some neat stuff like the quicksilver mine. 

Window requires about a 6 mile round trip hike IIRC.  It's been a while since I've been there.  So just keep that in mind if you want to go see it.  The Basin is worth the trip up there though and is usually a good bit cooler than the desert floor. 

Visit the Hot Springs.  Requires a short hike but worth the trip as well.

It's not just going to be hot though.  It's going to be HOT.  If you go during the fall though it shouldn't be too bad.  It's actually quite comfortable down there mid fall though mid spring. 

They're sticklers for the speed limit in Big Bend as well.  And the area is open and the roads are smooth which get people going faster than the limit sometimes.  And the area is so wide and open that the Park Rangers can spot you speeding from a long ways off.  So keep that in mind.  Terlingua outside the park is worth the stop as well for the Starlight Theater.

Thanks for all the info.  I appreciate the heads up.  I know it's not ideal but it's so freakin remote that there are rarely times when we have the opportunity to get down there.  Not that it's a quick little sidetrip on the way to CO but we still need to check it off the list.  My previous time in TX needs to be upgraded.  Goodfellow AFB is probably not representative of what the great state has to offer. 

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Suzuki DR650, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »
Did you ever do this ride? If so, how was it? I'm thinking about riding there sometime in the next couple of years.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »
We did the trip but we ended up just riding one day.  The weather that led to the desert being beautiful and colorful also wreaked havoc on the roads so we passed on the more difficult stuff and just did one ride. 

Here's the day of the ride:  http://vulcanbill.blogspot.com/2016/09/epic-20-year-anniversary-tripbig-bend.html

Feel free to check newer and older posts for other activities and pictures of the area.