Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GPS fast routing in Germany  (Read 2849 times)

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
GPS fast routing in Germany
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »
Because the German national speed limit for open roads is 100 km/hr or 60 MPH, my Garmin Zumo gives "fast way" routing that almost always does not use the autobahn system. For example (get out Google Maps for this one), to get from Bad Schwalbach to the castle in Montabaur, the fast way is to take 56 to Limburg, hop on the 3 autobahn and go to the Montabaur exit. Easy-peasy. Instead it goes up 260 (AKA Bäderstraße - it goes through a lot of "Bad..." or spa towns) to Nassau. So far, so good. It's shorter than going to Limburg, and 260 is a decent road. But then the wheels fall off. The rest of the route is actually pretty crappy, with 1 1/2 lane stretches with curves tight enough to check your tail lights as the car bends around the curve. Not 100 km/hr here! The road surface is often as bad as Pennsylvania roads ( pretty bad ) and if Farmer Franz is coming the other way on his tractor? Not Good. Still the route is direct and, if it really afforded 100+ km/hr speeds, no worries. But, trust me, the route sucks and SWMBO hates it.

How do folks convince their GPS' to route via autobahns? Create waypoints? What?
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: GPS fast routing in Germany
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:59 AM »
Check your avoidances.

If you want a route that you planned the most fail safe way is to use tracks.  You can always overlay a route over that if you need turn by turn.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »
In a perfect world, I'd like to see "Attractors". Something to draw the route to the slabs, for example. Or "Speed limit greater than..." stretches.

Tracks are fine for BTDT, but much of what I need to lay out for this trip doesn't qualify. I'll probably pick a few towns along the way, and then drop them from the route before I get directed to the town's mayor's driveway. I've tried moving the cursor to a stretch of road and dropping a waypoint that way. On occasion, though, I've hit the southbound lane while I want to go north.

I did that once for the Tappan Zee Bridge over the Hudson River. Worse, I'd built the route so someone could get from the New Haven, CT area to our house, and they'd never been there. (I did it on an old 2610 and left it with them when we saw them in CT) Needless to say, in the middle of the bridge they were told to do a U-turn. Caramba!

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »
Well that's really on you for not zooming in far enough. 

Tracks are the only way to ensure that you get exactly what you want (assuming you do your routing ahead of time).  If you rely on the unit to produce your routes the best you can do is blow out all the avoidences drop in as many waypoints as possible and hope for the best.

I combine a route overlayed onto a track so I can see if the route doesn't follow the track and ignore that section. until the two come back together.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
To ask the obvious, can you switch between 'fastest route' and 'shortest route'? Seems like the fastest route would always be the autobahn.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:42:13 PM »
Yep - switching is very easy. However, "fastest" is what sends me on those back roads that allow 100 km/hr but, practically speaking, aren't that fast. Again, the problem is the routing algorithms aren't sufficiently attracted to the 100-130-no limit autobahns when the option for 100 km/hr is much closer to the rhumb line (direct line from start to end points).

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
I think you already have the best answer, waypoints.
You can also select areas you want to avoid.
Ride safe!

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
Hmmm... I hadn't thought of the area avoidance choice. That might well fix things, too.