Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What a Ride  (Read 3295 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
What a Ride
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:34:27 PM »
Jeanne and I took a ride up to Laramie, across to Cheyenne, and back to Longmont,.

A little windy and 55F up to Ft Collins for the first hour.

Temps dropped steadily and wind increased as we headed north on 287. Winds were gusting at greater than 50mph according to the signs. At one point I couldn't get the C14 going faster than 65mph and I was losing speed slowly. At about 62 or so, we came out of the funnel and to the plains and picked up speed again. Temps dropped to 34F as we got to Laramie. My left hand was cold!

We were going to snag lunch but decided to continue on on 80. One guy at the gas station asked if we were going west on 80 because 80 was closed west bound due to snow!

As we got on 80 east, it started to sprinkle a little. There was fog on the pass ahead and signs warning of fog and high winds. Going up the pass, it started getting a touch wetter and a little more sprinkling. We had been seeing more snow on the banks which was increasing as we went up as was the rain. One of the road side signs had some stuck blown on snow and the temps were again falling. 34, 32, 30, 28, 26. This was sleet and temps were about where I was looking for a turn around and going slower but then we went over the pass. Still 26 and foggy. I popped open my visor to clear some of the fog on the inside. But the rain slacked off. No rain and cold I'm good with. Continued with the road drying out mostly but more actual snow falling.

The temps slowly rose. It was still pretty cold. Probably 40 or so as we got to 25 south. West bound at Cheyenne was also closed with a long line of stopped trucks and cars. Humorously, the tail wind had me seeing 68mpg on the lcd :)

Anyway, we pulled in at a Denny's for lunch then fought the winds as we headed south. There were a couple of scary gusts but we returned okay.

The helmet needs to be modified. It's pressing far too hard on the jaw. Maybe it can be adjusted.

Still need a heel rest for me. Throttlemeister work pretty well so that's good.

One thing to note. Folks talk about replacing the whale of an exhaust. When I replaced the 'busa exhaust, I found the balance was off requiring me to press a bit harder on the right hand and subsequently pack a bit heavier on the left saddlebag. The C14 is well balanced now. I can take my hands off on a straight and it basically stays straight. On the 'busa I need to lean left about half a butt cheek :) So thought before replacing the exhaust.

Otherwise good. The winds kept me from relaxing, elbows on knees. But the bars are closer together than the transalp but not as narrow as the 'busa.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
Re: What a Ride
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
Were you two wearing heated jackets?

That ride sounds tiring.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »

That ride sounds tiring.

+1.  Think about your girl- don't ruin her on riding by going out when it's too cold, windy, and miserable.  She may want to ride because you want to ride- be careful with that.   :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »

That ride sounds tiring.

Actually I didn't anticipate more than it being a bit windy. I did make her wear a sweatshirt though. She said she was warm enough except for her thighs, same as me.

And it was a bit tiring :)

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:39:40 PM »

That ride sounds tiring.

+1.  Think about your girl- don't ruin her on riding by going out when it's too cold, windy, and miserable.  She may want to ride because you want to ride- be careful with that.   :thumbsup:

I've done quite a bit of prep with Jeanne and we've ridden to Virginia and almost completed an iron butt but were stopped by a very heavy storm. She wants to try again on this trip :)

The prep has been talking about my trips, problems I've had, and especially weather issues and being prepared for unexpected weather. She grabbed her scarf and we had a selection of other bits that I usually have in my trunk like heated gloves, rain gloves (two pair), and my scarf. She had her Frog Togs but forgot to bring them.

I've thought a few times that it is like she's making up for lost time. :)

Both she and I have various spots on the trip in our weather app to see how things are in Seattle or Jasper or Glacier for the end of June. :)

Her only complaint about this ride, to me anyway, was that, unlike the 'busa, it's less comfortable leaning forward to cuddle :)

I drove her home and she was bragging about the rain, sleet, and snow, plus the winds and cold to her friends and daughter. She was excited about the trip, _but_ she was talking about how cold it was. I think that will translate, just like it would for the rest of us, in remembering the rain gear and chasing down the plus for the heated jacket :)

Carl

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
 :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I'm thoughtful about her comfort and try to advise based on my riding. I've offered her the heated gloves on several cold rides but she responds with "your hands need to be warm, you're riding and can't move them. I can tuck my hands in between you and me and be warm" The thighs for both of us were the real cold parts. We didn't even get more than our knees even slightly damp. :)

Carl