Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XR oil screen removal  (Read 1916 times)

Offline marc11

XR oil screen removal
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:06:59 AM »
The xr is a dry sump with oil in the frame. At the bottom of the frame there are three bolts. An oil drain, a banjo bolt for an oil pick up line and another which the banjo bolt screws into  which in turn screws into the frame itself that holds a strainer screen.

The screen acts as a filter to catch large crap before being picked up through the banjo. I am not sure just yet if this oil is pre or post oil filter but really isn't important yet...maybe later on if my attempts fail.

Anyway you are supposed to periodically clean the screen. Problem is I cannot get it out. The bolt is friggen frozen there. This is highly unusual for this bike since everything and I mean everything had come apart easily prior to this one bolt.

I pulled on it with a breaker bar a few times and tried tapping it with a hammar. Nothing.

I stopped for fear of slipping and stripping the head or snapping it off. Being on the bottom of the frame its not easy to get leverage.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
Re: XR oil screen removal
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »
What model XR?

Also, try soaking it with Kroil oil http://www.kanolabs.com/google/  once a day for a few days.  That stuff is amazing at loosening frozen nuts/bolts.  Possibly heat up the area around the bolt?

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
try a little heat (propane torch) works wonders ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
Better than Kroil, or any of the other bottled snake oils out there, is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.  Works the best in independent tests and is the cheapest.

Of course a blue wrench is more fun.   :naughty:

Offline marc11

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
Its an xr400. I can try a little heat and give it a shot. If not I'll try some Kroil or homemade penetrating oil. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400