Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: education/employment  (Read 18768 times)

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
education/employment
« on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
Mike Rowe's project got me thiking, how many here have a degree? For those not familiar with his endeavor his a quote from his site:

"On Labor Day of 2008, fans of Dirty Jobs built mikeroweWORKS, a trade resource center and non-profit foundation designed to reinvigorate the Skilled Trades. Profoundly Disconnected is the next phase of that effort. Mike’s goal here is to challenge the absurd belief that an expensive four-year education is the best path for the most people, and confront the outdated stereotypes that continue to drive kids and parents away from a whole list of worthwhile careers. Many of the best opportunities that exist today require a skill, not a diploma. The purpose of this site is to promote that simple truth. And maybe have a few laughs."

Google profoundly disconnected or mikeroweworks for the whole story, I think its a great effort.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline CosmicCowboy

Re: education/employment
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
I have a degree. I worked in my field for less than a year after graduation.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
No degree (but some college) and have worked in tech industries since, well, the Nixonian Era.

Would be difficult to start out like that today, but only due to the sales pitch Mr Rowe so eloquently explains.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline phoenix

• Motorcycles: CBR600RR, KX250F
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »
BSME and MBA here.

Personally, I think the vast majority of US citizens fall into 2 groups:
1) those with the focus to get ANY kind of post-high school education (including earning certification in a skilled trade); they will earn above the average US income most of their lives
2) those will accept lesser jobs for the rest of their life, and 1% of them will make a substantial income

I agree that interest in skilled trades continues to fall off.  Is the training / apprenticeship programs really there any more?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
I have a BA in International Affairs from GWU.  I do almost nothing with that degree but got it purely so I'd make the first cut when that's a requirement regardless of whether or not it means anything. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
I have a BA in International Affairs from GWU.  I do almost nothing with that degree but got it purely so I'd make the first cut (when job hunting) when that's a requirement regardless of whether or not it means anything.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
I have no degree, nor any college.

I'm a VP of software development in a Fortune 500 300 company.

I've had some lucky breaks along the way, but I've also kicked ass and taken names and have earned everything I have.

Nothing... not one freaking thing... that I was interested in or would have sought a degree in when I was 18 would be useful to me today in this career.

I also think it's completely asinine for employers to demand degrees just to get you in the front door. Doubly so when they're ok with a degree that has nothing to do with the field of employment in question.  :headscratch:
this signature on hold pending review

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
No degree. I'm a bootstrap sort of guy I guess. Been into computers since 1980, programming for fun and then profit. Then networking. Windows and now Unix Admin. I hack php/mysql/javascript for fun and not so much profit :)

While I applaud the effort, colleges are turning out more and more women college graduates (60% of degrees are earned by women). Since women tend to marry up, if the guys go into the trades there will need to be a shift in the social scene so women will 'settle' for a tradesman.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »

I also think it's completely asinine for employers to demand degrees just to get you in the front door. Doubly so when they're ok with a degree that has nothing to do with the field of employment in question.  :headscratch:

I'm not convinced this issue is anything other than HR trying to reduce their job to a checklist .. .. doesn't alter reality, of course, but I've found if you can get in front of the hiring manager, things can go just fine, degree or no.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »

I'm not convinced this issue is anything other than HR trying to reduce their job to a checklist .. .. doesn't alter reality, of course, but I've found if you can get in front of the hiring manager, things can go just fine, degree or no.

Agreed.

I've generally been offered 95% of the jobs for which I've interviewed. I'm a good interview, I'm well spoken, clean and presentable, and I know my shit. Not making it in the door because of a piece of paper...? Their loss.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »

Agreed.

I've generally been offered 95% of the jobs for which I've interviewed. I'm a good interview, I'm well spoken, clean and presentable, and I know my shit. Not making it in the door because of a piece of paper...? Their loss.

they don't know you like we do ;-}

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »

they don't know you like we do ;-}

No one does.  :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

:bigsmile:

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »
LOL

JUST shy of creepy!

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
LOL

JUST shy of creepy!

oh. i'll try harder.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »
I knew you had it in you.

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
No (proper) secondary education for me either. I do often attend conferences and trade shows in my field to stay abreast of technology as it may apply to our product. I was hired as an entry level laborer in 1997, and proceeded to work my ass off to work my way up. My partner and I now run a millwork shop with 20 employees. I think there will be a huge demand for skilled labor in 5-10 years, and employers will be willing to pay rather well for hard working people, degree or no.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »
No (proper) secondary education for me either. I do often attend conferences and trade shows in my field to stay abreast of technology as it may apply to our product. I was hired as an entry level laborer in 1997, and proceeded to work my ass off to work my way up. My partner and I now run a millwork shop with 20 employees. I think there will be a huge demand for skilled labor in 5-10 years, and employers will be willing to pay rather well for hard working people, degree or no.

Fully agreed; there are more out of work lawyers than out of work plumbers, electricians, mechanics, etc. The trades will never go away. It's only a question of quality and skill.

I knew you had it in you.

To be fair, I feel really dirty now.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »

To be fair, I feel really dirty now.

But you LIKE it!

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
I do often attend conferences and trade shows in my field to stay abreast of technology as it may apply to our product.

He said a breast.

As you can tell, I obviously do not have a college education :lol:

Luckily, I found a good job in the web hosting biz with a company that cares more about what you can do and how hard you work, instead of a piece of paper. Before that, I was a UPS driver, then worked in retail for a bit.
FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Led Rider LED Motorcycle Aux Lights - Use discount code "STO15"

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
and to expand...

My ex and I vehemently disagreed on this, but I was in NO hurry to push the kids right into college after high school. I know I had zero clue at 18 what I wanted to do for a CAREER! A lifelong line of work? At that age? We're just not equipped to make that decision, IMO. Sure, some do, and make it happen, but by and large, very few of the people I know with solid careers are working in their field of degree and schooling.

Was it a waste of money...? I can't say, but I think some honest to goodness life experience before deciding on a college degree is a good idea. The trick is having the motivation to see it through after the break.

$.02

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
I can agree with you a bit Chris.  I started out of high school at a business college, and within 2 semesters I knew that wasn't it so I quit and went to work in a factory.  I worked there for 2 years while I figured it out- went back to college, got my BA, got a teaching job, loved it, got an MA (which was really nothing more than jumping through hoops to get the degree and requisite raise).  I have been teaching for 20 years and I love it.  I do use my degree and knowledge in my work.

I'm lucky in that besides keeping my certification (more hoops- but some of the classes are good) I can study what I want.  In my current role besides teaching science I work with teachers and help them to utilize technology in their classrooms.  Teaching teachers I guess. 

To buck the trend of a teacher, I hunt, shoot, weld, restore motorcycles, rebuild engines, paint, brew, distill, etc.  A renaissance man.   :bigok: 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:18:58 PM by CLAY »
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

To buck the trend of a teacher, I hunt, shoot, weld, restore motorcycles, rebuild engines, paint, brew, distill, etc.  A renaissance man.   :bigok:

Too many parents are raising sheltered kids who come out of college being one-trick ponies who can't even change a flat tire in their car.  :facepalm:

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
halfway through junior year at college, our daughter came hom for a long weekend.

"great -- you can help me change in the intake/exhaust gasket on the Model A."

30 minutes into the effort, the girls asks, "What's a gasket, and why are we replacing it?"

She'd been maintaining her own cars since halfway through highschool (and teacher her school mates), but we never dealved into the mysteries of the otto cycle engine . . . . .

She went on to get a master's from the University of Chicago.

well rounded people rock

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
No degrees. 

I'm retired, bitch.  :twofinger:

Online Black Hills

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »

Too many parents are raising sheltered kids who come out of college being one-trick ponies who can't even change a flat tire in their car.  :facepalm:

exactly, my daughter (HS junior) came home from school and told me boys are dumb, I told her I was happy she finally realized that ;) anyway she went on to explain that 2 senior boys asked if she had jumper cables to get ones car started. she retrieved them from her car and they then asked if she knew how to hook them up? thinking they were screwing with her she said yes and handed them to one of the boys. he said "no, we need really need someone who knows how to hook them up, we haven't got a clue".  she got the car started for them.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »
I got nuthin.

Graduated by the hair of my ass from an alternative program through Falmouth High School, Falmouth MA.

Went from top notch prep Schools to street drunk in 4 years. YAY BOOZE!

I will add that I am happy with who I am slowly turning into and am quite content with my life.

I still spell better than Ed.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:08 PM »

Not sure that's worth noting.   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »

Small victories, Clay -- sometimes they are all we are granted.

;-}

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »

Small victories, Clay -- sometimes they are all we are granted.

;-}

..and I have a magnificently odd sence of humor.

― Frank Zappa

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »
I got nuthin.

Graduated by the hair of my ass from an alternative program through Falmouth High School, Falmouth MA.

I will add that I am happy with who I am slowly turning into and am quite content with my life.

I like you.  :thumbsup:

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
I got nuthin.

You're bad luck though. You can still visit for breakfast. Just be sure you're not followed.

― Frank Zappa

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
I have an Associates of Science degree in Law Enforcement Administration.  I was going to go for my Bachelors, but enlisted in the USAF Reserves to get some real world experience.  So far not having a BS or higher hasn't hurt me, but it narrows my retirement options. 
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline marc11

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
I have a BS in business management and marketing. I have worked in IT, logistics, logistics IT, supply chain management and now risk management. My degree has never been a factor in my career. Never been asked to show my transcripts, notta.

I agree work is about skills however a degree for some reason is a differentiator for many employers these days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »
I have a Bsc and most of an Msc done, quit, got a job in another field completely and I'm still there.
Ride safe!

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »
BS in Mechanical Engineering but I've been writing software for a living since 1981.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline xsrider

• Contributor
  • Be seeing you.
  • Motorcycles: '14 Tiger 800
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 11:46:40 PM »
B.S. in chemistry and Ph.D. in organic chemistry - antibiotics.  I've done chemical research since I graduated in 1979.  In my career, I've worked on drugs, explosives, solid rocket fuel, adhesives, and materials used to manufacture microelectronics.  For the past 14 years, I've worked for a biotech company and helped to develop the technology used in the human genome project.  That same technology is now being used in developing cures for cancer.  Without my degrees, I would not have had as many opportunities in scientific research. 
IBA #14938
Stay healthy, my friend.

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 12:27:26 AM »
hmm, went into the USAF a few months after high school, worked B-1 Avionics, got my Associates in it from CCAF, started working towards bach in CIS, retired from the USAF last June, working in a factory job currently picking/shipping wood for Menards. Yep my degree is real useful.

I've been trying for anything even remotely tied to my experience/degree, but it's slim pickins out here in RC, SD.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »
Another medical researcher, hopefully a little over a year away from my PhD in biomedical engineering.  I got a couple years into grad school and realized I hated bench work so I switched to a robotics lab and have slowly been trying to catch up on that (my undergrad degree was heavy on EE thankfully).
Lauren

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »
While I applaud the effort, colleges are turning out more and more women college graduates (60% of degrees are earned by women). Since women tend to marry up, if the guys go into the trades there will need to be a shift in the social scene so women will 'settle' for a tradesman.
Sexist much?  It's attitudes like this that have been harder to deal with than the research portion of my degree and it's annoying.  I know several women who married or are in serious relationships with men who don't have as much education as them. Happens a lot for the female grad students.  If you want a guy that won't bitch about moving to follow your career you have to marry down. :P
Lauren

Offline mastros2

• Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 02:59:23 AM »
I got nuthin.

You're bad luck though. You can still visit for breakfast. Just be sure you're not followed.

Haha!

I have my MPA.  Left College after a year to work full time.  After doing that for a bit, I figured out what I wanted to do and then attended the local Community College, then to a 4 year college and finally to grad school.  Over educated in my field but I took the job to pay for school.  I'm still at that job and still paying for school.  :headscratch:   

I always say that but I do really enjoy my career choice. 

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 06:51:03 AM »
BS in Mechanical Engineering but I've been writing software for a living since 1981.

That's exactly what I would have gone into out of college... and I still love the heart of it. But I'm paying the bills coding and designing (architecting software, not visually designing GUIs).

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »
Graduated high school, went to technical school for tool and die design. Quit after 6 months and worked in factories for a year. I then spent 6 years in the Navy as a Boiler Technician.

The military taught me a trade and I have used that training to much success. I specifically went in with the intention of learning something from my military service. I spent the last 12 years as an Operations & Maintenance Supervisor in a Co-Generation facility and I just started a new job as a HVAC Supervisor. Both of those jobs are directly related to what I did in the military.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 08:18:55 AM »
Sexist much?  It's attitudes like this that have been harder to deal with than the research portion of my degree and it's annoying.  I know several women who married or are in serious relationships with men who don't have as much education as them. Happens a lot for the female grad students.  If you want a guy that won't bitch about moving to follow your career you have to marry down. :P

Sexist much?

Given your writing, your degree hasn't done you much good. I'm sure you look forward to having a career, you know, after you leave school. Best of luck with your thesis. Let us know if you want editing support.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 08:23:20 AM »
First
http://www.mikeroweworks.com/home  &
http://profoundlydisconnected.com/

I humbly disagree that it's 'completely asinine', in all instances anyway.
I work with tradesmen and engineers.  Any degree generally makes for a more-well rounded person in multiple ways.  While it doesn't matter much for someone that's going to be working in a single, narrow genre for a while, it definitely helps those that interact with coworkers, vendors and customers in other fields.  It's also a substantial factor when someone gets to the point of training or supervising junior workers.
Also, I hear it's not uncommon to get 50 applicants for a posted job opening.  A degree shows an accomplishment beyond sitting in enough classes of high school.  If the 'job' entails learning a skill or knowledge 'set', that's definatly applicable info.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »

snip

Also, I hear it's not uncommon to get 50 applicants for a posted job opening.  A degree shows an accomplishment beyond sitting in enough classes of high school.  If the 'job' entails learning a skill or knowledge 'set', that's definatly applicable info.

I disagree . . . . getting a bachelor's isn't much different than surviving Highschool, if the student wishes that . . . .

Having hired a number of recent (college) grads, some were no more prepared to do useful work that they would have been 4 years previously.

I'm not saying that a degree is of no use . . . . .I AM saying that, as a way to judge the potential usefulness of an employee, in many case, it is highly over rated.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »

snip

I disagree . . . . getting a bachelor's isn't much different than surviving Highschool, if the student wishes that . . . .

Having hired a number of recent (college) grads, some were no more prepared to do useful work that they would have been 4 years previously.

I'm not saying that a degree is of no use . . . . .I AM saying that, as a way to judge the potential usefulness of an employee, in many case, it is highly over rated.

I agree with this. While I don't have a degree I did make it to my junior year at South Dakota State getting decent grades with not much more effort than high school. Gave up on it when recent grads were returning to tell us how well they were doing (forestry/park management). decided there was better money elsewhere.

to me college isn't of much value unless you are in engineering, etc.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »

snip

I very much agree with your assessment. I had a couple of engineers that I often gave direction to at my previous job. One straight out of school and the other with a few years experience. While they were both very smart guys, I don't think their education could be considered any greater an accomplishment than those of us who came up from the ranks. We all had to put in the work and prove ourselves in one way or another.

When it comes down to hiring someone to fill a position, we generally looked at the resume and reviewed work history. Usually a degree held more weight for those who had little experience. Those who had a lot of experience we didn't' care if they had a degree. It came down to assessing if the candidate had the skills to do the job and complete the tasks they were given.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »

When it comes down to hiring someone to fill a position, we generally looked at the resume and reviewed work history. Usually a degree held more weight for those who had little experience. Those who had a lot of experience we didn't' care if they had a degree. It came down to assessing if the candidate had the skills to do the job and complete the tasks they were given.

I think this is the norm for any company with decent management.

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »
A BS in nursing or engineering seem to be the only two that are worth getting from a financial and career perspective.  If you want to get a BS in something like business you are mainly buying the connections you will make while in school, so you better go to an exceptional school for something like that or it will be a waste of time.  Same thing for an MBA.  I don't understand getting a MBA from some podunk no name school.
Lauren

Online Black Hills

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
A BS in nursing or engineering seem to be the only two that are worth getting from a financial and career perspective.  If you want to get a BS in something like business you are mainly buying the connections you will make while in school, so you better go to an exceptional school for something like that or it will be a waste of time.  Same thing for an MBA.  I don't understand getting a MBA from some podunk no name school.

a BS in nursing is about the only way to move into a management position in a hospital anymore. My wife has a 2yr. degree in nursing and 10+ years experience and no chance for a supervisor position because she doesn't have a BS.