Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Photo sharing sites  (Read 5423 times)

Offline CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Photo sharing sites
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »
So I have been using photobucket, but I don't think it wil do what I am looking for.

My staff wants to use a website where they can upload then selectively share pictures with parents, link them to the website, and allow FULL RESOLUTION downloads.  My understanding is that photobucket doesn't to full-res downloads and is either open to all or open to none.

What are ya'all using?  Thanks!   :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Photo sharing sites
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »
You can selectively share by making albums public or private. But no, you can't download full res images.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
So I have been using photobucket, but I don't think it wil do what I am looking for.

My staff wants to use a website where they can upload then selectively share pictures with parents, link them to the website, and allow FULL RESOLUTION downloads.  My understanding is that photobucket doesn't to full-res downloads and is either open to all or open to none.

I'm using Google Plus (F'ING AWESOME!) and ImgUr (for quick stuff).
this signature on hold pending review

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »
Here's the deal for me. I'm a SEMI professional photographer. I don't want to post anything even remotely high res that someone can steal from me.

Here's my photobucket site. http://s51.photobucket.com/user/pak714/library/?sort=3&page=1

You will notice that some albums are locked. I do that because I don't want someone mooching my ideas. That's what an artist is skeered of. Someone stealing their ideas and creating something that is very similar but not exactly the same or someone directly using their ideas for profit and not compensating the original artist.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »
I've been using Picassa that is now Google +.
No complaints, you can download full res. but I've had issues with guys using my pictures so I don't upload them at full res.
And I now include an embedded copyright signature.
Ride safe!

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:54 AM »
Dropbox works well for me for linking high res pictures. Easy to use with the desktop app.
FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Led Rider LED Motorcycle Aux Lights - Use discount code "STO15"

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »
Dropbox, for sure . . . . . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »

I know a guy who hosts web sites. He can create a photo album site for you and do it fairly inexpensively.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »

I know a guy  . . . .

The second most awesomest start to a story, ever!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
That's my thought - your own web site gives you full control.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
That's my thought - your own web site gives you full control.

Which can be good and/or bad.
FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Led Rider LED Motorcycle Aux Lights - Use discount code "STO15"

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
How would "having control" be bad?

Yes, there's additional responsibility but I don't see that as bad.

Curious.

-----------

EDIT: A thought that passed my mind. While likely not desirable, one could encrypt the [full res] files to be transferred before uploading them to a file sharing site. Passwords to different files could be sent to the desired recipient via alternate channel.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.

Offline CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
I know YouTube has the option of sharing publicly, sharing via link, or private.  Ideally I'd want a site that has the option of "Share by link only", then parents can download the picture if they want it.

I envision a folder full of pictures.  A teacher takes and posts the pics, then sends the link for the folder to parents.  The can peruse the pics, then download the hi-res version of their little Johnny in the classroom making an ashtray if they want to.

Does one of the photosharing sites do that?   :shrug:  I really don't want to add it to our own website management- we have been trying to go away from us hosting anything and utilizing more cloud options.  No one is posting "high art" photography- I figure if they want that they should already have the info, as many of you do (through watermarks or locked folders). 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
I believe SmugMug does everything you want.  I don't even think you need a pro account to do it either.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:50:18 PM »
Seriously, Dropbox will do what you wish . . . . .for free.