Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Talk To Me - Where to Ride in CO WY MT and SD?  (Read 15822 times)

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Re: Talk To Me - Where to Ride in CO WY MT and SD?
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
Sooooooo........ Westinghouse just announced an option to purchase extra vacation time. Want some company for the trip? I get 4 weeks vacation now plus I can buy up to 10 extra days. That means a week-long moto trip is a possibility and still have days left over for long weekend moto trips like the Spring Meet and ESTO (plus skiing and SWMBO vacation weeks).

Come on out!!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »
Sooooooo........ Westinghouse just announced an option to purchase extra vacation time. Want some company for the trip? I get 4 weeks vacation now plus I can buy up to 10 extra days. That means a week-long moto trip is a possibility and still have days left over for long weekend moto trips like the Spring Meet and ESTO (plus skiing and SWMBO vacation weeks).

Are they hiring?  8)
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »
I've never ridden across the country so this could be the trip to experience just how flat and boring Nebraska or Missouri is (staying on rural two-lane I think). Perhaps ride some of the TAT on the way back with TKC80s on the 1190? This could turn into a 3-week adventure. Hmmm.....

I don't think Westinghouse is hiring much these days. Perhaps in certain groups, but there seems to be a move to resource share between groups that have too little work with groups that have too much work, rather than hiring new people. The "Careers" link at www.westinghousenuclear.com takes you to our Brass Ring (aka Black Hole) site for searching openings and submitting resumes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:58:26 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
Garry, I would LOVE to have you come along!!! 

You may or may not like my mileage for each day (meaning, you may desire more miles than I have planned).  All days are under 400 miles and two of them are around 200 as I do plan to stop a bit in Yellowstone and Black Hills / Badlands area.

I'll arrive in Denver Friday June 17th to pick up the bike and have a hotel reservation in Boulder for that evening. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:30:10 PM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
Garry, I would LOVE to have you come along!!! 

You may or may not like my mileage for each day (meaning, you may desire more miles than I have planned).  All days are under 400 miles and two of them are around 200 as I do plan to stop a bit in Yellowstone and Black Hills / Badlands area.

I'll arrive in Denver Friday June 17th to pick up the bike and have a hotel reservation in Boulder for that evening.

Let me mull over the logistics of it. I've never ridden in the Rockies with the STN National in 2008 being the farthest west I've been on a motorcycle. If you could, please PM me info on shipping and air fare. Maybe meeting you in NC and following your schedule is wiser than riding out and back.

EDIT: I've been mulling. I think riding out and back would be the plan.   Might jump off the loop after SD and head east to the in-laws cottage on Lake Erie via the Wisconsin alphabet roads. Buy the extra two weeks of vacation. Use 3 weeks for this trip, 1 week for skiing, 1 week for SWMBO, and 1 week for misc long weekends. Seems the stars are lining up. Life is short. Eat dessert first...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:28:17 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »
Jim,

This appears to get a very good section of double track and gravel roads.  Is it worth incorporating into my route?

https://goo.gl/maps/s9U77PgmiC42

CR 63E Pingree Park Road

and

CR 44H Pennock Pass

According to this site, CR 44H is closed (it appears for the season)

http://tinyurl.com/8bz5gsr

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
I enjoy the scenery of 44H (and the ride from Masonville north to CO14). It is a "typical" county road where I would not call it double-track. The closure is seasonal and it should be open by your summertime visit. Also, I'd say about 80% of the portion east of Pennock Pass is open year round (houses) with the gate a mile or few before the switchbacks up to the pass.

44H photos:
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2007-05-20-car-trip-44h-63e/

The first eight or so pix is 44H before Pennock Pass. You can see road condition and stream shots. Where we have photos of snow covered mountains, that's on the western slope of Pennock Pass of 44H.

63E is a higher grade road as it services the extension campus of Colorado State University. While 44H is a 1-3/4 lane "Level 6" road (the last to be serviced after a snowfall), 63E is a full two lane gravel road.

Do you wish for some double-track? You're taking a heavy GS on the trip, yes? If interested, Old Flowers Road is in the area and would be one I'd consider recommending. It does not have many grand vistas as it's mostly pine-tree-canyon (burnt pine trees at that). It is an east west forest road/jeep trail north of 44H and south of CO14. There is one mountain cabin (open / unlocked) and one area of grand vista to the north/northwest, otherwise, trees.
www.TrailDamage.com/trails/index.php?id=187
It's a difficulty rating of 3 on a 10 scale. If you had an interest I could follow along with the Jeep so you had someone else at hand should you need it (unlikely).

Jeep trip to Old Flowers Road (there are other forest roads in the 44H area if you wanted to ride 44H but wanted to test out a forest trail)
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2011-09-01--trail-old-flowers-road/

Poking about my site for photos, these stand out as related items on your route:

Peak-to-Peak Hwy, Moffat Tunnel East Portal, Mount Evans, Juniper Pass
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/2007-06-02-mt-evans/

44H / 63E / CO-14 (moose was on 63E a tad south of the 44H intersection)
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2015-05-17--afternoon-ride--44h/

Somewhat in the area...

One Hour Loop
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/2007-05-21-1hr-loop/

A hunt for one of the "Red Mountains"
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2007-08-11-red-mountain-area/

EDIT: Some more "north of CO-14" scenery
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/2007-08-26-deadman-road/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:15:48 PM by Jim »
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
You're my hero. We need to connect so I can repay you with a few rounds.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
You're my hero. We need to connect so I can repay you with a few rounds.

:thumbsup:
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Accommodations-wise we got a downstairs suite (queen bed) to offer ya'll; an upstairs bedroom/bath (king bed); and lots more space downstairs we've not yet furnished along with a couple inflatable mattresses.  Also got a full garage.

Here's the downstairs.   Used to be purple.  :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 01:31:46 AM »
LOL... That's the invite to accept!

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
I just signed up for an extra 10 vacation days for next year. That's quite a big chunk of change but you only live once...

I plan on spending some of my time off this month trying to plot routes out there and back. I think I might try to hit Glacier National Park, then the Badlands, then a northern route east via Wisconsin and the UP to get home. Then I'll really know if this trip is a go for me or not. I think it will be very tight on time to manage the loop I would like to do.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
Sounds like you've got your stuff locked in pretty well.  Here is the link to the SD / CO trip we took if you want to get some previews or inspiration:

http://vulcanbill.blogspot.com/2014/08/en-route-to-badlands-national.html
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 07:33:43 AM »
I spent last night plotting a southern route to meet Doug in Denver. Looking for "not to be missed" roads between Taos and Boulder. My first draft is about 900 miles (two full days), spending the night in Montrose. I have not investigated all the suggestions given to Doug as I assume (perhaps wrongly) they would be focusing on the area north of Denver since that is where his route goes. I suppose I should read the threads on the national that was in Montrose (I think) several years back.

I don't have my map with me but the first half is looking like 518, 64, 84, 160,  and 550 up to Montrose. The second half is looking like 50, 92, 133, 82, and then lots of squiggly lines to Boulder (suggestions welcome).

I was also considering taking 149 north to Lake City, then Cinnamon Pass and CR-2 down to Silverton. That's supposed to be amazing. I'll have 50/50 tires on the 1190 and most of it is gravel road suitable for 2WD vehicles. Cinnamon Pass itself looks rocky but not terrible. Not sure if anyone here has ridden that on a large adventure bike. From Silverton, head north to Ouray and beyond.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:10:31 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
Garry,

If you have the time, definitely do some of the "jeep" trails around Silverton and Ouray.  I've never ridden a bike on them, but we've driven rental jeeps on them on several trips.  Absolutely amazing scenery.  My jeeping skills are very basic, so we haven't attempted any of the crazy trails (Black Beer, Poughkipsee, etc).  I think we've done Hurricane Pass, California Gulch, Animas Forks ghost town, Ophir Pass and Yankee Boy Basin.

California Gulch (maybe?)

Ophir Pass
IBA #37902

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »
I jeeped the Lake City - Ouray (you-ray) - Telluride route this past summer. The Lake City Ouray route was fairly (honda accord) capable. I don't have pix up yet - though the scenery is STUNNNIG. I'd offer my services as jeep tour guide if desired.

EDIT: Consider taking the bikes on the trails. If street (thin) tires, perhaps route the trails for the end of the trip - just in case. They aren't overly sharp rock'd trails though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:32:55 PM by Jim »

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
It turns out that I can do this ride in 16 days (with no rest/off days), so I scaled my trip back to two weeks and only need to purchase one extra week of  vacation. If logistics run amok, I have spare vacation days to use if needed. My rough estimate is that it will be a 7000 - 7500 mile loop. I hope a new set of Heidenau K60 Scouts will last the trip. I'm getting < 6K miles out of the OEM Trail Attack 2 and hope the K60s live up to their reputation for longevity.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
It turns out that I can do this ride in 16 days (with no rest/off days), so I scaled my trip back to two weeks and only need to purchase one extra week of  vacation. If logistics run amok, I have spare vacation days to use if needed. My rough estimate is that it will be a 7000 - 7500 mile loop. I hope a new set of Heidenau K60 Scouts will last the trip. I'm getting < 6K miles out of the OEM Trail Attack 2 and hope the K60s live up to their reputation for longevity.

the K60's should be fine for that distance. the only complaint I have about them is the solid strip in the middle of the rear. It really sucks in the wet. other than that I am happy with them. I would definitely not run the TA2's off road. I had 2 punctures in the first 1,000 miles on mine. Every time I would get into anything rougher than a gravel road they ended up with a hole.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »

the K60's should be fine for that distance. the only complaint I have about them is the solid strip in the middle of the rear. It really sucks in the wet. other than that I am happy with them. I would definitely not run the TA2's off road. I had 2 punctures in the first 1,000 miles on mine. Every time I would get into anything rougher than a gravel road they ended up with a hole.

I guess that solid center strip reduces vibration on paved roads, but makes mud a lot harder. The TKC70 has a similar solid strip in the middle. I don't think the TCK70 would last the trip and suspect I would kill off at least two TKC80s. This is a 95% paved road ride, so I guess I'll try to avoid long stretches of mud :-)

I've found the TA2s to be OK on a dry dirt/gravel road, but scary as soon as there is mud. They work great on the street though. No flats (knock on wood) so far.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »
I'll be running well under 3K that week and plan to run TKC70s.  I'll most likely have 600-900 miles on the TKC70s before the trip.

Speaking of rain, I will be planning alternate routes to avoid long stretches of dirt if it's going to be muddy. 

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2016, 07:42:59 AM »
My route from Breckenridge to Boulder to meet R Doug was kind of short, so I added a bunch of back roads just to the west of Boulder that looked twisty. See attached route screenshot. I know some are dirt, that's fine. My hope is to zig-zag down from the north hitting some great paved twisties, some dirt roads, and hopefully some nice scenery. The route currently includes:

- Lefthand Canyon Dr.
- Overland Rd
- Lefthand Canyon Dr. (pt 2)
- Lee Hill Dr
- Sunshine Canyon Tr.
- Gold Hill Rd
- Switzerland Tr.
- Sugar Loaf Rd

Does this seem like a good way to spend the afternoon? Any stinkers to be dropped? Awesome roads missed? The idea is that I'm staying close to Boulder to short circuit the route to the hotel in the event I run short on time or the weather turns to crap.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT