Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Talk To Me - Where to Ride in CO WY MT and SD?  (Read 15998 times)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Talk To Me - Where to Ride in CO WY MT and SD?
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »
I've never ridden in northern CO (much north of Rt. 50) and have never seen Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, Badlands, Rushmore, etc...

If you were picking up your motorcycle in Denver and wanting to see these places listed above, what roads would you recommend (on road or off road)?

I'll toss out the first suggestion:  Bear Tooth Pass

Your turn... GO!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Re: Talk To Me - Where to Ride in CO WY MT and SD?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »
Riding sucks out here; don't bother.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
But seriously, mi casa su casa.   :bigok:

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »
:lol:   

So, seriously, where do I need to ride?    :razz:

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
Another question.  How much time should I expect to take to ride through Yellowstone (from South to North)? 

I don't plan on doing a lot of stopping to sightsee. 

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »
If you've never ridden through Rocky Mountain National Park, that should be your first destination. You can head West from Denver to Rollinsville and grab 72 (Peak-to-Peak byway?) and head north to park for a better route than taking 36 through Lyons.

Cameron Pass (CO14) north of the park is very nice, but not sure where you would use to to connect to.

You can hardly go wrong in CO
IBA #37902

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »

So, seriously, where do I need to ride?    :razz:

Ain't been riding here long enough myself yet to tell ya all the good routes - I'll let the longtime residents weigh in.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
If you've never ridden through Rocky Mountain National Park, that should be your first destination. You can head West from Denver to Rollinsville and grab 72 (Peak-to-Peak byway?) and head north to park for a better route than taking 36 through Lyons.

Cameron Pass (CO14) north of the park is very nice, but not sure where you would use to to connect to.

You can hardly go wrong in CO

Fall River Road in RMNP is an old unpaved road that runs one-way and isn't difficult at all.  Tammy & I rode Hwy 14 from Fort Collins to Walden to Muddy Pass (US40) during one of our overnighters and enjoyed it greatly, though it gets less interesting after Walden.  Peak to Peak from Lyons south to Blackhawk is also easy and scenic, kinda like the BRP but 'bigger'; with some nice twisty paved roads heading eastward (Lefthand Canyon, Boulder Canyon & Coal Creek) and a boatload of unpaved roads we haven't checked out yet.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
I pull out this old map, perhaps you've seen it or might find it of interest. It's a two-piece file set. The circled / noted / numbered sections are road areas that stand out for motorcycle riding - either for good twisty sections or for grand vistas.

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/temp/CO-What-To-Do-map.jpg

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/temp/CO-What-To-Do-text.txt

The text file describes the numbers listed on the map. All roads listed are paved. I believe, Pike's Peak is now paved to the top. Mount Evans is / has been paved to the top (if you want to get up to a high peak).

Do you have any aversion to no dirt or gravel or is hard pack gravel / county road acceptable?

Do you like twisty or grand vista?  (yes, mix of both I'm certain the pref)

I have a garage with tools and air mattress floor space if you wish to stopover (open invite to STOners).  A Jeep trail ride (1/2 or full day) is an open offer to folks as well. There is rafting on the Cache La Poudre river that is along CO Hwy 14 west of Fort Collins.

EDIT: As you mention northern CO and Yellowstone... A friend from Seattle area was vacationing in Yellowstone. I said - sure, I'll meet ya (I would have anyway - but I thought the trip was maybe 3 hours north of here... Nope... 7+ hours and 500+ miles - there's a WHOLE LOT of OPEN space between).

Chief Joseph Highway (Dead Indian Pass) & Beartooth Pass would be on my recommend list
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/2004-09-mt-id-wy/03-sun/

Glacier National would be on the list (Going to the Sun road)
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/2004-09-mt-id-wy/04-mon/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:00:53 PM by Jim »
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:24:53 AM »
That big open space between northern Colorado and Yellowstone is called "Wyoming". ;)
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 05:54:31 AM »
Jim, wow, great info.  Thank you so much.

That big open space between northern Colorado and Yellowstone is called "Wyoming". ;)

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »
LOL - and if you like grand vistas - there is a fair bit of it between CO and Yellowstone. Open space. Brown. Few to near zero trees (thus grand vista). It does have wide open space to stretch the eyes (something I do appreciate now and again).

IMO, you might have two riding locations - Much of Colorado OR Yellowstone / Beartooth / Black Hills / Badlands. Glacier National could be a consideration, but it too is a bit north of the Yellowstone area.

CO has the Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Durango & Silverton); CO-149 south of Gateway CO, the Lake City / Creede route, Pikes Peak, Mount Evans, Royal Gorge bridge, Rocky Mountain National Park, and several select roads for twisties (CO-125 south of Walden CO comes to mind as do many of the canyon roads). If interested in mining, a tour at the ?Molly Brown Mine? near Cripple Creek/Victor is cool. As can be rafting.

When you planning to make the trip?  Hmmm - roads north of US 50 you say. Independence Pass between Aspen and Leadville would be on that list. Mount Evans, RMNP, several canyon routes into the front range around Boulder to Lyons up and down, WY-130 across the Medicine Bow National Forest / Snowy Range between Centennial WY and Ryan Park WY. Maybe a trek at Dinosaur National Monument (NW corner of the state). Then there's that "whole lot-o-nutt'n" called Wyoming between NoCO and Yellowstone...
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online kendenton

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »
If you are looking for some great off-road riding, the San Juans in the SW corner of Colorado would be amazing.  We've done some jeeping there and were blown away.
IBA #37902

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 10:00:33 AM »
This trip will be a bit of a Cliffs Notes version of the following areas, which I've never seen before.  I'll have 7 days to buzz through the following:

Start with... Northern CO Rockies

Followed by...

Dinosaur National Monument
Tetons (Teton Park Road)
Yellowstone
Beartooth Pass
Bighorn National Forest
Devil's Tower
Black Hills / Mt. Rushmore / Crazy Horse
Badlands / Wall SD

End with....

More great roads in Northern CO.

You know, Sport-Tour.  On the bike by 7AM... off the bike by 6-7PM, Eat, Drink, Sleep, Repeat.

I'm sure I could spend the entire week riding CO only and just hit good stuff after good stuff.  I expect to have a few days of droning along barren countryside in order to connect-the-dots.  That's fine.  I had to do that on my last trip out that way when I covered NV, UT, CO, NM, and AZ.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
For mindset purposes...

I'll most likely pull of the road into Mt. Rushmore, see it for 2 min., take a picture, and rock on.  There will be no grass growing under my feet at any stop.

If I want to spend quality time at a location, Sheri and I will circle back and plan a vacation in an area.  That's what I did with Zion, Bryce, etc... I blew through it on the bike saying, "wow, that's impressive.  I must come back."  And, not long after, Sheri and did an entire week in the area spending time off the beaten path. 

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
If you are heading to Yellowstone from Colorado I would ride the wind river canyon, it's pretty nice. Chief Joseph and Beartooth highways are a must is you are close, hit the bighorns as well, I prefer schell canyon but all 3 routes across are nice.
In SD I would take a quick rip through the badlands, most people think that is kind of cool. In the Hills a stop at Mt. Rushmore and Crazy horse are a good idea. I would also hit Iron Mt. road. Vanocker canyon, nemo rd. and My favorite lit bit of asphalt (only a few miles) Norris Peak rd.
If you plan to be in SD for a couple days let me know and I can get you more details.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »
This trip will be a bit of a Cliffs Notes version of the following areas, which I've never seen before.  I'll have 7 days to buzz through the following:

Followed by...

Tetons (Teton Park Road)
Yellowstone
Beartooth Pass
Bighorn National Forest
Devil's Tower
Badlands / Wall SD

End with....

You really should get a pilot's license.  ;D

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
I've hammered out a rough draft of the loop.  It's only 2,200 miles.  That's an average of 314 / day.  Easy peasy. 

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »

Followed by...

Tetons (Teton Park Road)
Yellowstone
Beartooth Pass
Bighorn National Forest
Devil's Tower
Badlands / Wall SD

End with....

You really should get a pilot's license.  ;D

:thumbsup:
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
I've hammered out a rough draft of the loop.  It's only 2,200 miles.  That's an average of 314 / day.  Easy peasy.

it would seem so, but.....

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:14 AM »

Well, of course there's Murphy's Law, etc...  I'll need to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Great info on SD, thanks!

How safe is it to venture down long stretches of remote dirt roads?  Do people who live off them leave nerdy guys on bikes alone?

For example:

https://goo.gl/maps/qSb3i2wdGhQ2

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »

Well, of course there's Murphy's Law, etc...  I'll need to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Great info on SD, thanks!

How safe is it to venture down long stretches of remote dirt roads?  Do people who live off them leave nerdy guys on bikes alone?

For example:

https://goo.gl/maps/qSb3i2wdGhQ2

Haha.. most likely you won't see any people, if you do they will just wave.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
If you are coming over the big horns take Crazy woman creek road, you will love it on the GS

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
Oh My.   :inlove:

! No longer available

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
there is some nice stuff in the Black Hills too. I will put something together and get it to you. are you into caves?

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
Jeezsum Doug, do you really have to ask questions like this.  All. suggestions are good. 

Yellowstone is traffic central.  Decide whether you want to sightesee or ride or a little of both

If you like navigatible dirt roads, from the southern entrance of the Badlands, look for the road to Sheep Mountain Table.

A bit out of the way.  One of our favorites. (It's a do-over.]  Ride it to the end or until you get bored.  You won't.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Black Hills

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »
If you are heading to Yellowstone from Colorado I would ride the wind river canyon, it's pretty nice.

Yeah that is nice.  Pic from our ride a couple months ago:

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
Dinosaur National Monument...

The area is accessed via different roads "from the edges" towards the interior. The main road (Harper's Corner) starts at the south central part and heads north to a parking lot. From the parking lot, it's a 1 mile walk to the viewing point. Highly recommended to do the walk (not too much elevation gain/loss) if you're going out to the end of the road. Great views at the viewing point!

The road is paved (chip-seal). There is a side jaunt that if it's dry and you're fine with riding on hard-pack soil, drive down to the Green/Yampa River via Echo Park Road.

Google Map:
The top left fork is the paved / hike to viewpoint route and the top right fork is the hard-pack valley to the river.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.2434947,-108.9739208/40.2514379,-108.9756803/@40.4180887,-109.0149416,11.32z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d-109.0197581!2d40.5240762!3s0x8745108aaecc851d:0xbdcd88202f3acbf4!3m4!1m2!1d-108.9887213!2d40.5198577!3s0x87451a84923ec1a3:0x87d9bcb36da0daa0!1m0!3e0

If you catch an info sign, you'll see that there was (is?) thought to dam the river which would put much of the N.M. under water.

Walk from the end of Harper's Corner to the viewing point:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.5239051,-109.0195924/40.5340842,-109.0081148/@40.5266536,-109.0265433,3362m/am=t/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2

Yellowstone news - fewer bison to view on your next visit:
http://news.yahoo.com/yellowstone-park-proposes-killing-1-000-bison-winter-174638381.html

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
The Crazy Woman Creek vid reminds me of this road (more-better with spring melt) - County Road 44-H:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.5749727,-105.3274587/40.5794315,-105.5446709/@40.5789934,-105.4550674,12.75z

The eastern 1/4 or 1/3 of it has some fairly tight canyon walls with the road & creek being close (good to hear & see the water).

Hardpack soil, not too much for washboard or potholes, though they do exist.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 07:14:14 PM »
Oh my, I'm loving the information.

I received confirm form the shipping company.  I'll be picking up my GS in Denver (near the airport) on Friday June 17.  I've already used Avios points to book a round trip flight from Charlotte to Denver (first class for only $11 - tax).  Arrival:  6/17  Departure:  6/26. 

I need to drop off my bike the evening of June 25 (Saturday).  So, I'll be hitting the road once my plane hits the ground and will head for the hills!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »
Woot.  :)

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
That's why I love you Doug. You are a man of action.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
Well, I didn't pick the dates.  The local moto tour company does a Denver trip every year.  He just released the dates today and I phoned him to get on the list and reserve my bike's spot on his trailer.  June and July are the only months I'll have next year to pull off a longish bike trip.  So, his 2016 Denver start/end point is perfect for me.  This is the same company which got my RT to Las Vegas in 2013, i'm lucky to have them in my back yard. 

I've been thinking about this trip since I wrapped up my last one with him in 2013.  Though I really wanted to do Iceland next year, it's not in the cards because of my special project at work next year and the vacation blackout. 

As long as the volcano (which I can not pronounce) doesn't blow, Iceland will be there in the years to come to try again.  This CO, WY, SD trip is the consolation prize.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 10:32:19 PM »
So, perhaps...

DIA > Mount Evans (12*) > Independence Pass (16) (via 13 or 14, via CO-91 to Leadville) for starters. Then, decide if you'd want to hit more CO roads (18 / 19 / 26) before heading up to Dinosaur (via 35) before heading north to Yellowstone and sights up-nort.

On the return could be items east of Dinosaur, north of I-70, west of I-25 filling in items as time allows (lots of shorter items close together - canyons, etc)... Snowy Range perhaps, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO-125 (9), Hwy 14 (4), front range items (2, 5, 6, 7, 32, 33).

As I might assume, you are not looking for an "asphalt only" trip...
If you're looking to burn time and are in the area "80C" / Cherokee Park Road has some enjoyment (remote, some decent views) - county gravel:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.8278517,-105.2442558/40.9227648,-105.7942327/@40.9274921,-105.5785564,52644m/data=!3m1!1e3

* Numbers from my map

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
So, based on comments from Jim and Black Hills, I'm going to attempt working the following into my routes:

Crazy Woman Canyon Road WY

https://goo.gl/maps/9jHH7sZMZjq

Buckhorn Creek CO

https://goo.gl/maps/312RPaQn5h92

Vanocker Canyon, Nemo, and Norris Peak SD

https://goo.gl/maps/wzcXLaM6sxS2

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 07:42:47 AM »
While I'd hate to miss Rt. 14, I believe I'd rather see Crazy Woman Canyon Road. 

So...

https://goo.gl/maps/Nn99DS1q64T2

An alternate to this route would be no Crazy Woman Canyon but yes to Rt 14.  This would also cut back on the amount of Interstate riding.

https://goo.gl/maps/a9KGySB96K72
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:55:53 AM by R Doug »

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
Jim,

Your thoughts on this...

https://goo.gl/maps/xfkyp76yPNw

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »
I realize you have time constraints, but.  If you want to get the most of the bighorns go up 14A(?) Lovell to Burgess jUnction, then down 14(?) schell canyon, take the gravel road to Hyatville/tensleep then 16 to crazy woman creek and down to the flat lands. I 'll get you #'s if you want.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2015, 09:18:18 AM »
This is, for the most part, a highlight tour.

Looking over the maps the past few days, I can tell how easy it would be to come up to SD and spend an entire week riding with you or an entire week riding with Scratch and Jim in CO.  What great areas to explore!

Online kendenton

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »
Oh my, I'm loving the information.

I received confirm form the shipping company.  I'll be picking up my GS in Denver (near the airport) on Friday June 17.  I've already used Avios points to book a round trip flight from Charlotte to Denver (first class for only $11 - tax).  Arrival:  6/17  Departure:  6/26. 

I need to drop off my bike the evening of June 25 (Saturday).  So, I'll be hitting the road once my plane hits the ground and will head for the hills!

Isn't the miles game fantastic!  I couldn't have done most of the travel I've been able to pull off the last few years without it.
IBA #37902

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2015, 11:48:01 AM »
Jim,

Your thoughts on this...

https://goo.gl/maps/xfkyp76yPNw

Edited:
https://goo.gl/maps/y3AjqbvwGJ22

1) Mount Evans. The way it's on your route, it's optional. I promoted it (and do recommend it), though if you're not committed, always your option to exclude it. There is an entrance fee:
http://www.mountevans.com/MountEvansCom/Mount-Evans-PlanningAccessFees.HTML

2) Hard-Pack soil is on your list - therefore I added a small-ish side jaunt from Rollinsville to the Eastern Portal of the Moffat Railroad Tunnel and back. The google map has an oddity in that it won't cross the last bridge, so the road goes another mile west to a parking area with pit toilets and a nice view of the tunnel. How long you stay, if you even go, up to you. The ride from Rollinsville to the tunnel is hard-pack, in a valley with a rolling stream and dual track rail (some nice scenery).

3a) Estes Park. Your original route fully scoots up the eastern side, which is fine. If you wish a tad bit of scenery without (hopefully) hitting any crazy traffic, I re-routed the "other" road which takes you by the Stanley Hotel (the route I typically take).

3b) Northeast of Estes Park, I moved the map route point up by The Overlook Ranch (before you drop down the switchbacks). If you're so inclined, that route is nicer run in the opposite direction. Coming up from Glen Haven, rolling up through the switchbacks, you pop over the rise at The Overlook Ranch and pop into a grand vista. Your call if you'd just stop at the pass and look back or roll down the first switchback and U-turn for the presentation of the view.

Glen Haven: The valley Glen Haven sits in was hit hard by the September 2014 floods. From Glen Haven to Drake, as of this summer (I've not been that route in several months) was 1/2 torn up with heavy "move a mountainside" construction [with traffic shut-down waits while earth movers worked]. The eastern half (towards Drake) was still asphalt. I could scout it out next spring before your trip, if you wished.

A couple bits of (controversial) news you could consider when you drive east on CO-14 east then turn north on US-287... Dams... There is desire to place a dam at the mouth of CO-14's valley to store all of that nice water of the Cache La Poudre. That dam - fat chance it'd happen as CO-14 is a scenic byway in a national forest boundary, but, where your map shows the turn to the north on US-287 and has a bend in the road a mile north, a large dam is being discussed at that point. The straight-to-the-north section of US-287 would be under water. I can see that dam happening in 10 to 30 years. US-287 would be re-routed on the eastern side of the hogback east of the current route. So, if you travel that section of road (noticing the faint, old railroad bed on the eastern side of the highway, between you and the hogback), imagine what that would be like filled with water.

Where you exit US-287 to head east to I-25, the first 5 miles or so is hard-pack. No concern in the dry, in the wet, you might re-route by turning right at the CO-14 / US-287 intersection to get to I-25.

Should your day get late to get to Cheyenne, door's open in FoCo.

Food: Rollinsville Stage Stop - "southeast corner" of the main intersection in Rollinsville. There is a general store (small) you'd pass to get to the bar/saloon/stage stop bar/restaurant (we're talking original buildings [that's my story and I'm stick'n to it])
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stage+Stop/@39.916808,-105.5023748,355m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xa4a9e69f23255b2d!6m1!1e1

CO-14 - The Mishawaka - Band / amphitheater with bar & bar food on the banks of the scenic Cache La Poudre. If hungry, stop, get a spot on the deck outside or an inside spot overlooking the river.
http://www.themishawaka.com/
Street View
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6873258,-105.3656705,3a,75y,13.91h,82.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZhPz1piL00FwiFsEpJBNEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On the re-route through Estes, there are some fast food spots - MD, TacoHell/KFC, Subway

If you'd wish trip pix for the routes listed, say you're interested, as I should have most of them (the scenic stuff) on my site that I could post URL's.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »
This is, for the most part, a highlight tour.

Looking over the maps the past few days, I can tell how easy it would be to come up to SD and spend an entire week riding with you or an entire week riding with Scratch and Jim in CO.  What great areas to explore!

I can help with maps & suggestions, but currently, I'm bikeless... a bummer, that some day will change

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
I saw your tread title and thought "oooo! I have some good roads to suggest!" and then I realized just how overwhelming the task seemed. There are TOO many good roads to suggest to nail them all down.

That being said, I'll wait to see what your draft route looks like and then see if I can add to it :)
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 11:20:54 AM »
Colleen, I'll get you my final draft in a format which would work for you. 

I played around last night and came up with the following indicative route (8 days).

Close up near Denver

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2015, 01:43:52 PM »
It shall be called...   the Great Wyoming Boundary Tour of 2016!

Dinosaur excluded or leaving it to be a last minute decision?

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »
I'm going to see how my day goes.  If there's enough time, I'll most certainly going to ride it.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:52:54 PM by R Doug »

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
In the spirit of ?crazy woman? and the 44H (smaller, remote, lesser used, rolling along with water, hardpack mix) - and to muddy your thoughts or toss in a monkey wrench as it's a bit out of the way...

This road has some beautiful sections riding along in a valley with the Colorado River (oh, yes, since Jim's mentioning it - there are railroad tracks too...)

https://goo.gl/maps/aM8EX3rT4gt

Dotsero to almost to McCoy, (where you're along the RR line, err, Colorado River) and State Bridge to where the road/river/RR are together is high on my list. The section where the road does not follow the river/rr west of Kremmling, is good - but it's not along the river. Kremmling to where I ended the route is state highway - not remote, more traffic, though it is still good for scenery (although separated from the river more). _Just_ west of Hot Sulphur Springs is a nice, tight, high-ish walled canyon section.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2015, 04:07:16 AM »
Colleen, I'll get you my final draft in a format which would work for you. 

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:55:50 AM by Mrs. DantesDame »
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
Sooooooo........ Westinghouse just announced an option to purchase extra vacation time. Want some company for the trip? I get 4 weeks vacation now plus I can buy up to 10 extra days. That means a week-long moto trip is a possibility and still have days left over for long weekend moto trips like the Spring Meet and ESTO (plus skiing and SWMBO vacation weeks).
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT